Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ludonarrative dissonance is a dumb word though and fun to make fun of. Just, not in the "haha what does word mean it dumb".

Hakarne posted:

I concur that "Big words are for pretentious dumb-dumbs" is peak "OK, boomer" territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

On Windows 10, why do some games only work with certain controllers? I'd expect the system interface for dual-stick controllers to be pretty standard. Is that not the case?

It's the classic battle of XInput and DirectInput, one of those is Microsoft and the other is what PS4 controllers use. If you launch the games in Steam Big Picture mode, it usually picks up whatever controller you have and makes it work.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

sebmojo posted:

how would you rephrase it?

The making fun of the word, or the word itself? Eh, off the cuff two for one, lewd-narrative disco biscuits. The VN devs in that sale would probably take that tag unironically.

Yeah, not exactly a slam dunk, but eh, better than

eat heart posted:

you are all hipsters and im better for mocking a meaningless word

it is meaningless because i do not know the meaning therefore im smarter

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

sebmojo posted:

no, you dunce, the concept. How would you express the idea better.

Oh. I think it's a fine enough expression for a more academic perspective, though in general conversation I think gameplay/narrative conflict is sufficient. I just think the phrase sounds kinda funny, especially when used in casual conversation.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Adam "I didn't ask for this" Jensen, the man who scales buildings, drops vending machines on gang members and stabs men with his knife hands while wearing his automatic cybershades. The man who would take half a second during a heated gunfight to consume ten Snickers to turn invisible, run to the center of room and wave his arm while doing a pirouette, releasing a ton of miniature bomblets. An hour later, he's secreting pheromones in order to seduce an elderly lady so that he can find the three digit security code to her grandson's safe so he can give his toy car collection to his mother in order for her to win custody... or instead sell it at a pawn shop in order to let him store more Snickers energy.

Yknow what, just pretty much any immersive sim protagonist except maybe the one from Prey and Garret in Thief.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

just say "how come they didn't use a phoenix down on aeris"

because the menu only recognises the superior spelling, aerith

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kanfy posted:

And yet you can use one to revive someone hit by a spell called Death which causes a status that's literally called "Instant Death", explain that atheists

It was mistranslated, it's Instant Deaf.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Zachack posted:

I have it installed but haven't played it because I need a printer for the magazine and the shutdown means I'm only in the office one day a week and I forget while I'm there. I do wonder how far I'll get before forgetting how to play, like I did with TIS-100 and SpaceChem, and probably soon Magnum Opus (got about halfway through this, stuck at a level where even after looking at solutions I still can't build it).

Does Moletz-Synth require printouts? That's also why I never played much of Shenzen-IO: TIS-100 I could get by with the PDF instructions but Shenzen looks like that would be a big pain.

The PDF is fine, and Shenzhen's instruction set is simple enough.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

FrostyPox posted:

Hey I have no idea where else to post this since I can't seem to find an appropriate thread on the games forums, but because I can't play tabletop wargames during this quarantine, my broken brain has been craving a "realistic" military shooter to fill the gap (instead of a turn-based strategy game which seems like it'd make more sense) I picked up Tannenberg because: It's currently cheaper than pretty much any other similar kind of war-sim-shooter-game ($9 right now) and it has Russians. Anyone else play it or have opinions on it? I played a couple of matches and it was pretty fun I suppose.

If there's a thread dedicated to it or the genre, feel free to point me to it.

Alright, for shooters, go for something like Arma, Squad, Post Scriptum, Hell Let Loose, in order of milsim complexity from most complex to least. Grog games thread if you want to try talking about some strategy games (I'd recommend the free module of Command Ops 2 at the moment by the way) and I don't think I recall seeing you in the Board Wargames thread.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

FrostyPox posted:

I'll check 'em out, thanks. I actually don't really play boardgame wargames, mostly fantasy/sci fi minis games like Warmachine and Star Wars Legion, which is why I say it's weird that I'm looking for a milsim to scratch my itch instead of, like, Blood Bowl II.

Oh, nah, that makes sense. You might dig XCom by the way.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Samuringa posted:

I played a bit of Shogun 2 and wow, that tutorial sucks poo poo! Here are some news units to the series, they do neat stuff. Now take that castle.

I did not take the castle.

Yeah, just kinda use a lot of the standard archers and standard spearmen. Then maybe consider taking a pair of siege weapons.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Darkhold posted:

Uh yeah I 100%'d every single Mass Effect game and couldn't even finish Andromeda.

Here's a brand new universe! Now play through the exact same story in the most boring way possible. It was just awful. Everything felt like they had this epic vision but didn't know how to realize it and just ended cutting everything to the bone to get it out the door.

I will give credit to Andromeda for being occasionally very pretty and having fun enough combat. The story really, really let it down.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Xander77 posted:

The tutorial for Medieval 2 is outright broken, and you can't complete it.

Personally, I gave up on Shogun 2 after trying to engage with naval warfare, which I could never figure out in any TW game.

It's okay, CA never figured it out either. Either just get more botes than the enemy and autoresolve, or in Shogun 2, wait until you get botes with cannons. Otherwise, stay far, far away.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Orv posted:

I know at least two people other than me who post in here will be tentatively excited by this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKgyWjjXikM

I clicked it, closed the video as soon as I saw Dying Light, reopened it when I saw Hellraid. Thank gently caress they're doing something with that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Is nobody realising that this means we get Viking sea shanties?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

*grumbles at broken headphone jack making use of this controller to be annoying* -- but yes, I do have one! Okay, good, that's going in the cart. I need some variety with my games or else I go mad.

I will say that it's probably a good idea to play the Project Wingman demo if you've never played an Ace Combat before, just to see if it's up your alley. Wingman is pretty great.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

AfricanBootyShine posted:

MGSV is great. It's just reached that point where the only people left who've played it and still stay in the Steam thread will pick it apart for all its flaws (which are all multiplayer or story related). But the fundamental gameplay is fantastic, and at 4 bucks it's a must buy.

Actually, the gameplay sucks. It's very much a "make your own fun" sandbox rather than anything well designed, as your most rewarding path (tranqing and fultoning everyone on the map) is the easiest (leaves no bodies to be found, gives you least demon points). Phantom Pain is such a step back from Ground Zeroes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

technically once you cap it out (typically by doing the naughty boy thing) you're also permanently covered in blood. only a cosmetic thing but the only ways to reduce it are teensy tiny and annoying to do so you're kind of stuck like that. you can always whip out a different character or throw on a different skin though

Doesn't it also decrease your reflex mode and other small poo poo like health regen etc?

Cardiovorax posted:

Wouldn't say so, personally. It's an okay game, but if the Star Wars name wasn't attached to it, I would say it's more of a thirty dollar base price game, not sixty. I think if you went the EA service route, you'd be long sick of it before the month is even over.

Another bad opinion from Cardiovorax, whoda thunk it! It's a very good Soulsy game, and it has some fantastic villains. One of the best Star Wars games.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Terminal autist posted:

I hate to go to bat for the guy but your very post at the top of the page should make anyone second and triple guess anything you say.

Broken clocks can be right twice a day. :colbert:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kin posted:

Eh, it genuinely feels like Kojima was getting all Kojima about the game and was taking a silly amount of time to make it perfect. Konami probably did get impatient and made the business decision to ship out a product that was way past its deadline and only about 50% complete in order to at least try and recoup some of their expenses on it.

I think a better way to describe it, is he spent all his time perfecting individual systems, rather than perfecting the overall design, getting things to mesh in a coherent fashion. I think that's a more agreeable way of phrasing my issues with the game than just calling it the best playing bad game. That's why it's got so many neat interactions and feels so good, but has no reason to use 90% of them.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

ok i know you didn’t like metal gear solid 5 but let’s not get carried away here and claim things like metal gear survive was better

Survive did a hell of a lot of cool poo poo. Overall, definitely a worse game, but it's got so many nuggets of improvement that were obviously half done and discarded bits that were going to be in 5.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

like it's only a dollar fifty I'll slam it in the cart to finish the collection but that's weird

I think that one was a pre-order bonus?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kanfy posted:

Hayter's no Ōtsuka but I never had a problem with his voice acting for the most part, though I will say that by Peace Walker he went so hard for maximum gruffiness that it actually became kind of distracting in how over-the-top it was. I remember feeliing like a lot of lines in that game sounded like David Hayter was doing a parody of David Hayter.

A lot of that probably goes to the direction received, since it's not just Hayter's call what voice he does. Localisation staff for the MGS series pretty much just got worse and worse as the years went on, and Hayter's never really had much sway with Kojima.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Jamfrost posted:

I see images like that and wonder how you make a shirt like that.

I’m phone posting, so can’t, but someone has to share the original art.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't know what you guys are talking about, no one should play the game with the "new" art it looks so flat and lifeless

The PS3 art is the way to go. The newest art is from pachinko machines and is poo poo.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Ulio posted:

As someone who played ff13, its still dogshit even with this minor clarification especially the story/world.

It’s not 13, it’s Lightning Returns.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

aren't they all 13

no you see you have Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, as Lightning Returns is the good one, it has distanced Final Fantasy, let alone its number, to subtitle status

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

I enjoyed the demo, but yeah, the platforming mechanics really need work before the game ships. biggest issue is the grappling points, which seem to only work from a very narrow range of angles

I feel like I played a different game, because the grapples were absolutely fine. The only issue is the shift bullet time not working if you're strafing at the same time, even if you want to use it to dodge a bullet. It defaults to an immediate side dash, which sent me off platforms far too often.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

One thing to note is that this is the same demo content wise as the demo press had a while ago, sometime last year. I'm not really worried about content issues.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kin posted:

Hah it's ridiculous that Modern Warfare 2 Remastered is only £20 yet the original is £15 on sale.

I've always been meaning to pick them up on steam because that pretty much backs up all of the games i gave a poo poo about on the Xbox 360 over to PC, but the Modern Warfare franchise is so overpriced for how old it is.

Original has multiplayer and spec ops. I've been itching to do the spec ops missions again with a buddy, so £15 sounds like a good deal to me!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Whoever’s saying you can’t switch units in new XCom must be misremembering, because the only thing that locks a unit out is using both actions. Gears is only different in that shooting doesn’t end your turn.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Too Shy Guy posted:

I've never played Deus Ex with any fan patches and it's still a fantastic experience.

Fan patches are important for some fixes, such as removing the awful static that some people get on every audio track. I'd highly recommend getting the Deus Exe launcher. That and the Direct 3D 10 mod give you most modern conveniences, fix most bugs and do not change a single thing in the game itself.

Anyway, trip report from Warhammer 40k: Gladius, the turn based 4X. I think it's excellent! It's a 4X stripped down to the bare bones, such that all you're doing is mashing units against eachother. Diplomacy isn't a thing, even between the Guard and Space Marines. You're only meant to have three or four cities by endgame (unless you're a Space Marine, in which case you'll only ever have one) so there's not much city management at all. Research is just "pick two from Tier N, get access to Tier N+1, repeat". Combat's quite simple too - some units have special abilities, they have different ranges, one unit per hex, if you've played Civ you'll get it. It's more a game of making sure your conveyor belt of troops is moving fast enough to jam the meatgrinder that is the enemy enough for you to nab a few extra outposts and other special tiles so you can keep pushing with an extra edge.

There are two major downsides - the AI is atrocious and the quest system is mind boggling terrible. Play multiplayer and disable quests. Quests are a series of objectives you can complete that'll give you bonuses, but they also let you win the game. Slight issue is that the ending quest for the Imperial Guard requires you to kill 20 extremely powerful units in 20 turns, and they'll spawn somewhere in the middle of your territory. If you don't kill them in time, you just lose. gently caress that. It doesn't even remotely try to telegraph the fact that that's coming, nor do you have any agency in determining the outcome of that questline. It's entirely linear.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

She was never a spider even in the books. In the form of a spider at the time of LotR? Yup. But she's a shapeless ancient evil from the dawn of time and changing shape is explicitly something all the ancients can do (except Sauron who gave up that ability to make the Ring - that was the cost).

She's also used really well in Shadow of War and how she appears to Talion makes perfect sense (it plays on his dead wife among other things). Hell the entire Shadw of War story I'd argue is it's strongest aspect. The gameplay is a step down from Shadow of Mordor but the story is good. Especially Middle-Earth Japan and all the Nazgul backstories. Also setting up for a sequel at the end takes some balls and doing it without contradicting the books? That's clever.

The similarity to Talion’s wife is obvious if you remember what she looks like. Most people however, do not remember the character that was there for two minutes in another game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

pentyne posted:

Being able to re-do a decision/choice based game events without save scumming is a great idea but it diminishes the impact of the choices and outcomes.

Did you actually play beyond Chapter 1? The game does play with that a fair bit.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’ll be getting in to GTA5 bc EGS finally offered something I couldn’t pass up to bother with their launcher. Is the PC port okay?

I don’t plan to do a drat think with GTAO, so I can mod. Anything worthwhile there?

I'm a big fan of the LSPDFR mod. Basically, it's a fully fledged police sim, letting you do anything from traffic cop to stopping bank heists. Kinda like LA Noir's side missions.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

K8.0 posted:

Huh, I guess they are a proper successor to Bungie.

I thought Gearbox did the PC ports.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

preface: i've only ever played a little of an older gta game, and a bunch of saints row 4

I'm a little puzzled over how you can make an MMO out of grand theft auto. From what I've seen of gameplay videos of 5, it doesn't have enough meat on its bones to support any kind of cool... multiplayer environment? Unless you want one full of griefers? So I'm a little puzzled at how it's a huge draw for rockstar.

GTAV has some really loving cool co-op missions. Basically, think Payday, but with all of the setup for the heist (scoping out the place, hacking poo poo, picking the right vehicles for the job) as well as the heist itself, with different players having hugely different jobs.

It's also got some neat game modes, which they keep pumping out. There was a Tron Lightcycles event, there was a Terminator 2 style truck vs motorbikes, there was a slasher mode, races have always been cool as hell and a lot of folks just pump money into pimping their ride.

I actually think GTAV hides the most fun arcade racer on the market at the moment. Nothing else has really taken that space occupied by the simpler Gran Turismo games, or Ridge Racer/Burnout, and GTA kinda does both ends of the spectrum quite nicely. There is a number of people that enjoy it just to gently caress about, which Rockstar caters to with random events that happen in the open world, or bounty hunts and poo poo. GTA Online has a lot of quality content, but it's all hidden beneath the bullshit.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

why do people slag Hollow Knight for having a NeWgRoUnDs AeStHeTiC, but not Binding of Isaac

Probably because TBoI was originally on Newgrounds.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm playing GTAV still. Do I have to complete every character's missions to complete the campaign? Or can I play as mostly one character throughout the entire game and merely see the story from a different "perspective" at times?

You have to switch characters at certain points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

drat, how’d this not get GOTY? Is the rest of the game rear end?

Movement speed was too low, level design felt off imho, I think the cutscenes are unskippable and super bland and also the lack of a jump button. It was a game that was very close to being really great.