Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Sayonara Wild Hearts is something special. Rhythm based auto-runner with an addictive soundtrack and oodles of style. Incredible.

EDIT: The game has no options to tone down colours/flashing lights, in case you're sensitive to that!

Artelier fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

BobTheJanitor posted:

I was looking at this one, but from the video it looks like it has a ton of flashing lights, which would give me a headache after five minutes. Does it have any options to tone that down?

Popped in to check, and it doesn't, sorry. :( Definitely a no go if you can't handle tons of flashing lights and colours.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

I am excited for PC gamers to learn about why Ted Faro can get hosed.

I love all the impressions in the thread going "I mean, I don't get how this guy is that bad" and the inevitable post a week or a month later going "gently caress ted faro"

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Plastik posted:

Satellite Reign
9NDCD-9ZKNW-K96X7

Was just thinking of reinstalling XCOM but managed to nab this, I believe it'll scratch the same itch, thank you!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would recommend still reinstalling XCom.

Satellite Reign is, uh, not great.

Yeah...I booted it up yesterday, and I managed to soft lock in the tutorial. Got my guys stuck behind the item that lets me change my loadout and they can't get out. So I went and played Stardew Valley.

I'm going to give Satellite Reigns another shot but that wasn't a great first impression.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I keep going back and forth on whether I want to get Rage 2. The gunplay looks fantastic and the colours are beautiful but everything else sounds like a slog.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Mierenneuker posted:

Which is why Rage 2 is the ideal Game Pass game. Pay 10 bucks*, play Rage 2, play some more games when you’re done with it.

*less if you haven’t started a trial period before

I want Game Pass but it's not available in Malaysia atm :(

And tbh if I had it the first game I'd play is Forza

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

There's a Commandos 2 HD Remaster out.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How's Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus? Still itching for a fast paced shooter with good gun feel, looking to charge in and shoot crazy things off. Loved The New Order but got tired of Old Blood pretty quickly, felt a bit too squishy there. But could just be because I played them back to back.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for that! Passing on Wolf 2 then.

Just finished and loved Amid Evil, Dusk creeps me out too much to finish the third episode (FACE GUY) but is great otherwise, and Doom 2016 is great but like 70 gigs and it just feels like...a lot...

Will look into Shadow Warrior 2 and decide in the next hour or so, whee

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just remembered that I got Shadow Warrior 2 from GOG some time back and am now happily shooting people! Though all this sidequesting is...eh...

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Me, five missions into Shadow Warrior 2: IT'S CHEAT ENGINE TIME

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Also on Void Destroyers: Is it for me if I wanna do arcade ship dogfights, upgrade ship, get into bigger dogfights, etc?

I have Rebel Galaxy and I like it but that's more of an AC ship warfare thing somehow, didn't give me that free flight feeling.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

how jump scary is world of horror? i like and can handle weird / gross but get bad during tense moments and surprise cuts

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I tried Dying Light for the free weekend and does the game ever give you a sense of real power and progression? I am trying to enjoy dropkicking zombies but the game is trying its hardest to withhold this joy from me with special zombies and a low damage output.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

I mean, what's good in the ARPG genre today? Path of Exile, Titan Quest+Grim Dawn, Van Helsing Final Cut, Soldak's weirdo games, maybe Book of Demons, How to Survive 1+2, Torchlight (ehhh), and Victor Vran.

Maybe Diablo 3 but I can't justify buying it. Maybe the new 40k ARPG by the Helsing people. Apparently Wolcen sucks?

So while there are clearly better choices, there aren't enough of them to write off the early Sacreds forever. As far as I know it's a weird tiny genre.

Out of these, which ones are not so, how to say, endgame optimum based? Like I like clicking things and getting new skills and trying them out, not so much putting a million points into my two different skills to get ready for the end.

I think I already have Van Helsing Final Cut (free at some point? Never played), didn't like the feel of PoE, and liked Torchlight 1 but bounced off Torchlight 2. Titan Quest and Grim Dawn seem cheap ish, but not with all the expansions. And reading up on Wolcen it's always GOOD BUT CAVEATS

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

socialsecurity posted:

Diablo 3, there are no points in skills per se and you can respec at any time to try out new skills.

I looked this up and it is VERY THE EXPENSIVE* so if there's a next best it would be much appreciated! If not, it's okay, will wait for a sale or something.

Approximately 12 times the price of base Grim Dawn, for reference.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Mierenneuker posted:

Yakuza 0 is now on Game Pass.

You'd think I could finish it before the 3rd of March or will I get too wrapped up in its mini-games? I had a great 3 months with Game Pass but I should get around to the stuff I bought during the winter sale. And both Hitman seasons, holy poo poo I finally have a PC that can run it properly :monocle:

I don't think you'll be able to really appreciate it by rushing it over a week! The side stories and mini games are fun, but even without those, the main story is quite a hefty length. Personally, I'd recommend having at least a full month to play it on and off instead of rushing through, but that's me.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

lordfrikk posted:

Sorry about dropping it unceremoniously like this, but it's either this or leaving it to rot in my Humble account. Even copying the links took like 20 minutes because you can't export or see all unredeemed stuff, you have to click through everything :negative:
NBA Playgrounds https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=rVSCtNzXWvWv84Um

Thank you, nabbed this! Was just itching for a sports game

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm I see that FF12: Zodiac Age is on sale, how big of an improvement is it over the original? Because I wanna replay it but I'm fine with the ps2 clunkiness, so if it's just, like, "We made the textures bigger and saturated everything" I'd just as soon save my money and replay it on my ps2.

There are two major benefits:
1 - There are now classes, so the license board is no longer character based but class based. For FFXII TZA, you get to choose two classes per character. 6 characters, 12 classes, so you can go around the whole board in one run if you want.
2 - There is a new level of speed up, 4x or 8x. Helps for the slower moments, and VERY noticeable on the long treks.

If it's PC, you also can get mods! Lots of people rebalanced skills/classes or have new themes, so there's some fun there. I personally wish they kept the difficulty as is, many of them are by experts who have played the game a lot and therefore aim for a higher difficulty, but it's an option.

There are also QOL improvement mods, like graphics upgrades, camera, and making Montblanc able to reset classes. So you don't have to be locked into your choices if you're unsure.

If you liked FFXII at all and want another run, I think it's an excellent buy and a big upgrade myself!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I started playing Assassin's Creed Syndicate and I'm having fun but just want to be sure: There's no repercussion for going FULL EVIE ALL DAY ERR DAY right?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The Locator posted:

Steam just put Borderlands 3 on a 50% off sale until March 20th.

That was quick, definitely doesn't feel like a year has passed by.

Worth it? Planning to play with my brother and sister 3 player co-op, and we like just messing around, collecting, and messing with fun guns.

Hope the drop rates are better, because we cheatengined the hell out of the end of the campaign to get more fun guns.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

deep dish peat moss posted:

(It's better than Slay the Spire imo)

well that's a buy for me :stare:

Anyone have any thoughts on Iconoclasts?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Parkasaurus jumped into my recommendations, is it really BUILD A DINO THEME PARK SEE DINOS or are there caveats?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Blasphemous has an incredible aesthetic. Not so keen on some of the level design (so many instant deaths). Music is a banger too.

Well, maybe not a banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6x4tj3PHuQ

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Not official I believe, but Codenames is a great party game that works well with live communication, and there's a (bootleg) online version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emlI43ZE9-c

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Serephina posted:

I'm over a decade late to the party, but I finally started playing Crysis.

Entirely apart from some poor controls, I'm not sure I "get" it. Cloak can be used to reposition in fights (or just sneak in), armour is self-explanatory, speed I've not found a use for other than just walking faster, but the strength puzzles me. Am I supposed to be chucking physics objects at people, maybe after sneaking behind them? Its so clumsy and ineffective compared to just shooting them.

I finally got a "Yes, *this* will be the moment I do a cool thing" and jumped on the back of a tank with cloak/strength, and it turns out that there's no way to punch your way into the tank (or try to rip the tank in half, Ghost In The Shell style). So no cigar; turns out I'm just supposed to be boring and shoot it with the conveniently placed rocket launcher.

Am I missing something here? I think it just might be an older game from an era of bad shooters and I'm expecting too much from it.

Crysis 1 (and the better expansion pack, Warhead) is at its best when you're being creative with powers. The suit is incredibly overpowered, so go nuts. Super speed up to someone, switch to strength, grab them by the neck, super jump and chokeslam, speed dash away, cloak. That sort of thing.

If you want to give it a fair shot, I'd say, get to level 4 at least and see if you like it. It's the most sandboxy of the early levels, with an objective on the other end of the map, and lots of little encounters scattered throughout

If you're not feeling it, it's okay. There's lots of games.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Finished Blasphemous (looked up how to get the alternate ending). It was great fun! No idea what happened.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

VR is fun in small doses for me. Beat Sabre is a trip for real.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

After trying it out for an hour, I think I've decided I like every single part of theHunter except for actually hunting. Those poor aminals :(

And doors.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

One Step from Eden popped up on my list and it looks like it's...a Mega Man Battle Network clone? Unlocks in about five hours

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The 7th Guest posted:

the nintendo wii was dope

VR is dope too. The sense of depth when watching through the goggles (at least with a Vive) is incredible.

BEAT SABRE FOR LIFE

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

KakerMix posted:

The way it's captured. You are only looking at one eye's worth of video.

VR works by giving each one of your eyes its own monitor, rendering separate games on them to convince your brain your eyes are seeing poo poo for real. That's why VR hardware requirements are so high, gotta render two whole feeds at very high refresh rates in order to make VR work. No way to show that on a 2D screen so the capture from someone playing VR is always going to be one eye only.

On a side note, I have definitely walked into walls with VR. It's very convincing.

Some games are also like "Stand on tall building and jump off if you want" and even just the standing part can get to people with vertigo, even though the graphics are obviously fake and you can reach down and fell the floor all around you.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Look Sir Droids posted:

How beefy of a PC do I need to run Bannerlord at non-clunky playable level?

Well, Low settings makes it look like Warband it seems...

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

So, it's even Mounter and Bladder.

Yes, that's a good way of putting it. After playing Bannerlord I don't think I could ever go back to Warband. But if you're still playing Warband happily and don't feel any shortcomings, I'd hesitate to call this a must buy.

Everything's smoother, runs better, looks better, works better (or doesn't work #earlyaccess). Lots of quality of life changes that add up to a much better experience, but it's still fundamentally the same experience. This is how I'd rate it.

Loved Warband, miss it, want new version - Must buy
Loved Warband, still playing, don't have any issues with it - Good buy if you have cash to spare
Liked Warband, but wish it was a bit better - Probably the group that will feel the changes the most
Liked Warband but don't miss it - Eh, no rush, wait for a sale or something
Disliked Warband fundamentally - No need for this at all

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How's Sniper Elite 4 (or 3 or whichever is the best one) as a I AM AMAZING AT SNIPING LOOK AT THESE SLOW MO KILLS fantasy? I'm not looking for a simulation or realistic experience, just wanna walk around and do cool shots.

I tried the second game when it was free on Steam, and I think I tapped out when a tank came and I had to do specific things that weren't shooting people in really cool ways.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

MZ posted:

With the Ubisoft sale & the EGS coupon I still have I can get one of these for under 10 clams, which is the best of the bunch?:

AC: Odyssey
Watch_Dogs 2
Far Cry New: Dawn

AC: Odyssey is basically The Witcher 3 with more ridiculous stealthing/traversing of cities. Also incredibly, incredibly long.

Watch_Dogs 2 is probably the best mess around in a city sandbox. Make people drive like assholes and have them crash into each other! Call on gangsters and tell them a librarian is a traitor! Then call the cops on the gangsters! Everyone dies! Walk into library peacefully and commence mission.

Haven't played New Dawn, but I imagine it's more of the same.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Got some Steam credits and Sunset Overdrive looks fun and bright and wacky, sort of like a cross between Saints Row + Infamous? Or that's what it looks like to me with the power line riding. Not sure if that's a good buy or if I should hang onto my credits.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Odyssey will not invalidate other games in a "same formula, but way better" way because it and Origins are basically open world RPGs with Witcher 3-like quest structure and pacing. It might invalidate them in a "that was so good, I don't know why I would ever play the old ones" though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Baba is You is brutally hard, and I've been solving one puzzle every month or so! Not constantly playing, like just, waking up with an idea of the solution one day.

Also it's getting a level creator mode so Baba is You is You soon!