Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jose Oquendo posted:

A New Hope: Well, we think we found a weakness. It's a long shot. One in a million. We're gonna give it our best shot. It's the only one we have.

Rogue One: I intentionally put a weakness in the Death Star so it could in fact be destroyed with this one neat trick.

Rogue One is so loving bad. BUT IT"S GOT DARTH VADER DOING SOMETHING COOL AT THE END.

Yeah Rogue One is terrible. That was Lucas prequel level thinking of not understanding why something worked in the OT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

duz posted:

That comic was a Star Wars version of Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead and was firmly tongue in cheek.

And it's what I desperately hope Taika Waititi's film in the Star Wars universe will be.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Taika Watiti wraith squad

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah Rogue One is terrible. That was Lucas prequel level thinking of not understanding why something worked in the OT.

I don't really see how the Death Star having a tiny flaw because some subcontractor got lazy is any more thematically rich than it having a tiny flaw because the Empire loved to screw people over. That kind of stuff has happened IRL.

Anyway, the flaw Mads Mikkelson built into the design was in the reactor itself, somebody else still screwed up with the exhaust port.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Over the years I've become really disillusioned with new directors getting attached to (usually Disney owned) properties. I can't get too excited over his Star Wars project. Though I'll admit he might be more suited to it than Akira. I don't see his style working with Akira.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

porfiria posted:

I don't really see how the Death Star having a tiny flaw because some subcontractor got lazy is any more thematically rich than it having a tiny flaw because the Empire loved to screw people over. That kind of stuff has happened IRL.

Anyway, the flaw Mads Mikkelson built into the design was in the reactor itself, somebody else still screwed up with the exhaust port.

It didn’t need to have an intentional flaw. The entire point was that that technological terror with its ability to destroy a planet was small potatoes compared to the power of the force

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Remember the last time people got excited about talented comedy directors getting to make a Star Wars movie? How did that turn out again?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh don't get me wrong, I do not want Taikia to do a Star Wars movie. Or any big franchise movie. And it's very unlikely that I'd ever get excited at the prospect of another Star Wars movie. But if he is going to do one, I think that material would be the best fit from pre-established material, which Disney's Lucasfilm seems terrified to veer from, canon or not. Though obviously something wholly new-cloth would ultimately have the best chance at rising above the Star Wars brand and being decent, but I'm not holding my breath.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

married but discreet posted:

Remember the last time people got excited about talented comedy directors getting to make a Star Wars movie? How did that turn out again?

They got fired from it, a bunch of stories got planted about how they supposedly can't direct actors that were intended to kill their careers for offending Disney (a la Josh Trank) but ended up mostly just making Emilia Clarke look like she'd never seen a movie before, and then Ron Howard took over and shat all over the movie.

If Taika actually gets to make his SW movie himself, it'll probably be fine, but there's pretty solid odds Disney's going to do the same thing to him and it'll be ghost-directed by Joss Whedon or something.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

porfiria posted:

And it's not even that much of a "flaw"- it's a thermal exhaust port, meaning it's a thing that vents heat because big machine get hot. (Granted Star Wars only mentions physics when it's convenient to the plot.)

It's like asking why a castle has a door on it, or why they don't just make the plane out of the black box.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You miss the point of Rogue One. The Death Star has a flaw in the first place because of inter-department rivalry and backstabbing within the people running the project. If it weren't for office politics between smug asses with huge egos, someone would probably have spotted the sabotage.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I said it before, I'll say it a million times. Rogue One is great because it's a Star Wars movie where the main villain is not some Sith Lord or Empire general but rather the Death Star's PROJECT MANAGER and we get to see all the petty office politics that go with it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

I said it before, I'll say it a million times. Rogue One is great because it's a Star Wars movie where the main villain is not some Sith Lord or Empire general but rather the Death Star's PROJECT MANAGER and we get to see all the petty office politics that go with it.

Even the part were Kenneric goes over Tarkin's head and goes straight to his boss, who goes "Why are you bugging me with this? *force choke*"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Even the part were Kenneric goes over Tarkin's head and goes straight to his boss, who goes "Why are you bugging me with this? *force choke*"

This movie might honestly be the single most realistic depiction of middle management in cinrma. I mean sure, rear end in a top hat managers are everywhere in movies but this is the only one I know where you get to see the rear end in a top hat manager being mistreated by HIS bosses as much as he mistreats the ones below him, just like in real life.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mads Mikkelson should have played the Death Star imo

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Even if the whole "But why does it have a design flaw?" line of thinking is dumb, Rogue One's a fun film- mostly elevated by the big battle at the climax.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Calaveron posted:

It didn’t need to have an intentional flaw. The entire point was that that technological terror with its ability to destroy a planet was small potatoes compared to the power of the force

Yup

Also leia's line about stuff slipping through their fingers. They wanted a big flashy weapon and didnt check details, because they dont care about the little people (like ewoks)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AceOfFlames posted:

This movie might honestly be the single most realistic depiction of middle management in cinrma. I mean sure, rear end in a top hat managers are everywhere in movies but this is the only one I know where you get to see the rear end in a top hat manager being mistreated by HIS bosses as much as he mistreats the ones below him, just like in real life.

And this is the whole process involved:

The Death Star project is coming in significantly delayed and over-budget. This project is absolutely vital to the company.

Company VP turns the heat up on the project manager.

Project manager turns the heat up on the development team.

One of the development team realizes there's a fatal bug in the project that could ruin the company if it becomes public knowledge. Fixing said bug would mean scrapping the entire project.

Since that team's job is nominally finished, project manager fires the entire team with a NDA to prevent word leaking out to the public or to company VP about there being a fatal bug in the project.

Project completes and seemingly performs perfectly.

Company VP asserts direct control of the project to take credit for its success and muscles out the project manager actually responsible.

Project manager tries to appeal to the CEO and gets shut down, hard.

Project manager learns that someone on the development team he had fired has leaked word about the bug to the press.

Project manager tries to address this, but is fired by Company VP to ensure that Company VP gets complete credit for the project's success.

Bug leaks to the press.

Ta dah.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Calaveron posted:

The Force and a Torpedo

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Lobok posted:

Love the idea of applying the intentional flaw of the Death Star to other things. Like man, a tank is a bad design because what if an enemy parachutes in from above and curves a tiny boomerang made of C4 through the air and straight down the barrel of the cannon?

Even the Nazis figured out that building excessively large tanks was a bad idea because one dude with a dive bomber could ruin the whole thing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

duz posted:

That comic was a Star Wars version of Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead and was firmly tongue in cheek.

does he romance Bea Arthur from Holiday Special

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The design flaw in Rogue One wasn't the Exhaust Port. It was the Main Reactor itself which was designed bad. The torpedo in the exhaust port was just the best method the Rebels figured out to exploit this with the time and resources they had available. It's directly stated in the movie.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

galagazombie posted:

The design flaw in Rogue One wasn't the Exhaust Port. It was the Main Reactor itself which was designed bad. The torpedo in the exhaust port was just the best method the Rebels figured out to exploit this with the time and resources they had available. It's directly stated in the movie.

Characters can stare at the camera and explain plot points and half the crowd will always miss it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

Love the idea of applying the intentional flaw of the Death Star to other things. Like man, a tank is a bad design because what if an enemy parachutes in from above and curves a tiny boomerang made of C4 through the air and straight down the barrel of the cannon?

TBF, German Panzers were susceptible to incendiary weapons like Molotov cocktails and flamethrowers. A spritz of liquid fire to the ventilated engine compartment in the read of the tank would immobilize the tank and probably ignite a fire that kills the crew inside the tank, since the Panzers had really leaky engines.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I hated the intentional flaw thing because it really easily could have been "I hid the schematics in a random file. It's the only hope you have in finding a weakness"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The whole "Oppressed people intentionally loving up the thing they were forced to help build thing" was done amazingly in Invader Zim. One of the planets that Irk took over got turned into a weapons factory that build invisible giant robots, however the robots had multiple design flaws that still met all the specs. It moves, but it needs to be directly plugged into an outlet and is such a power drain that it barely lasts 5 minutes even on the short leash formed by the outlet and cord, and while the robot turns invisible, the pilot doesn't, just floating there like an idiot.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

This whole discussion reminds me one of the Legends canon characters that makes me glad Disney wiped the slate clean when they bought the franchise. You know that Stormtrooper in A New Hope who goes up to his boss and says 'look sir, droids'?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Davin_Felth/Legends

This Stormtrooper, Davin fuckin' Felth, was in line to become an AT-AT pilot. He was naturally gifted and skilled at the role, and he was all set to climb up the Empire's ranks...until he pointed out to his superior that an enemy craft could use a cable to trip up an AT-AT's legs. :v:

He ended up getting sent to Tatooine as a way of getting him out of the picture so he didn't make the AT-AT designer look bad by pointing out the weakness of the thing.

Did we...did we really need an in-depth backstory for the 'look sir, droids' guy?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Vandar posted:

This whole discussion reminds me one of the Legends canon characters that makes me glad Disney wiped the slate clean when they bought the franchise. You know that Stormtrooper in A New Hope who goes up to his boss and says 'look sir, droids'?

This Stormtrooper, Davin fuckin' Felth, was in line to become an AT-AT pilot. He was naturally gifted and skilled at the role, and he was all set to climb up the Empire's ranks...until he pointed out to his superior that an enemy craft could use a cable to trip up an AT-AT's legs. :v:

He ended up getting sent to Tatooine as a way of getting him out of the picture so he didn't make the AT-AT designer look bad by pointing out the weakness of the thing.

Did we...did we really need an in-depth backstory for the 'look sir, droids' guy?

I kinda like how this finds a way to marry the obviously impractical AT-AT design with a satire of bureaucratic incompetence.

Come to think of it, if you're driving an AT-AT and a snowspeeder is coming at you with tow cables, why wouldn't you just stop walking?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Vandar posted:

A backstory to that guy AND smug foreshadowing of Empire Strikes Back that also rips off the whole Death Star flaw thing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it is I uh...Bompan Shadzing, I was the disgruntled imperial armorer who unzeroed all the stormtrooper blasters

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BioEnchanted posted:

The whole "Oppressed people intentionally loving up the thing they were forced to help build thing" was done amazingly in Invader Zim. One of the planets that Irk took over got turned into a weapons factory that build invisible giant robots, however the robots had multiple design flaws that still met all the specs. It moves, but it needs to be directly plugged into an outlet and is such a power drain that it barely lasts 5 minutes even on the short leash formed by the outlet and cord, and while the robot turns invisible, the pilot doesn't, just floating there like an idiot.

Also a twist on that was Bridge of the River Kwai

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

the power of the force isn't to shoot super special missiles, the power of the force is to guide things. like how the empire being lovely to a guy caused him to try and gently caress them over. the force isn't just something that you control it also guides you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BioEnchanted posted:

All he did was switch the addresses on the packages lol.
The megadoomer sucks because Irkens are just dumb lazy assholes.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/GeekVibesNation/status/1258218915148300288?s=20

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure this was the plot of an episode at least ONE Hanna-Barbera cartoon.

Seriously, this is a 60s rear end premise.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's like a mirror universe version of Hancock.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm pretty sure this was the plot of an episode at least ONE Hanna-Barbera cartoon.

Seriously, this is a 60s rear end premise.

no because treating men and women as equals was not a thing

seriously a Jetsons episode had George railing about women drivers

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

no because treating men and women as equals was not a thing

seriously a Jetsons episode had George railing about women drivers

That episode is the first thing I think of when I think of the Jetsons. It wasn't even just George, it was the entire world. When Jane starts her lessons, her instructor changes the "Student Driver" sign to "Woman Student Driver: Beware", for crying out loud.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I seem to recall some comic (SOMETHING and Woody) doing this premise but it's a pair of step brothers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Lobok posted:

There was a case in the Italian campaign where the Allies found a destroyed German tank that should have been able to withstand the shells their Shermans were firing. Turns out a lucky shot went straight down the barrel of its main gun and blew it up from the inside.