Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember the local video store when I was a kid had a copy of Deepstar Six and the cover terrifying me. Never saw the actual movie but from what I heard it's not as good as what scared kid me imagined it would be like.

Deepstar Six isn't the worst, but it's not bad. I'd strongly recommend the Peter Weller movie Leviathan though if you haven't seen it. Basically Alien but underwater with really good sets/strong cast/etc. Not nearly as good as Alien of course, but it's drat solid.

Lastdancer posted:

Contact is perfect it doesn't need no remake...!

They should remake Freejack instead.

I had no idea I wanted a remake of Freejack until now. Whatever would be done with such a thing, my only need would be that it sits on the shelf for about four years before coming out.

Same on a Contact remake, why? Will they get whoever the current president is to "cameo" in it again?

Alan Smithee posted:

Make Hackers 2

This reminds of the odd confusion that happened in the 90s/early 00s due to film piracy. The Hackers soundtrack was so popular that two followup albums were made over the next couple of years, called Hackers 2 and Hackers 3 respectively. Shortly after, the unrelated film Antitrust came out, and it was released in some countries with some form of the word "hacker" in it. Long story short between that and the soundtrack people thought Hackers was a series of films and would end up viewing Antitrust by mistake because people would level bootleg DVDs of Antitrust "Hackers 3" or whatever and it would be listed on those old file sharing sites as Hackers 2 or Hackers 3, which would lead to an amazing level of not what you were expecting if you wanted something like Hackers.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

As someone who loves both grimdark takes on fairytales and hollywood nepotism I am beyond hyped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=128Q-SK7Fzc

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Jena Malone, who played the young Eleanor Arroway in Contact, is now 35, which is how old Jodie Foster was when the 1997 movie came out, so they should just get her for the remake. That way they can simply reuse that beautiful into-the-mirror tracking shot.

They should make a set in the present day sequel where she plays Foster and McConaughey's kid.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gatts posted:

Christian Bale is going to be All Black the Necrosword and we get Natalie as Jane Foster Thor.

And Christian Bale is a method actor.

He was talking about this one being mostly underwater when it was announced, is that still teh case?

feedmyleg posted:

Can't wait to see Bale play a generic villain covered in so much makeup that he might as well be a stunt guy.

I hope he plays like the High Evolutionary or Uatu or Ikaris or some other character like that just so we can see Bale ultra serious his way through a Jeff Goldblum in Ragnarok caliber costume. It'd be perfect.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Looking forward to the AI generated finger family cinematic universe!

An entire deepfake genre that's just other people's thumbs in Thumb Wars.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Barudak posted:

I just read the plot of The Great Silence and its incredible, like a person setting out to give you the bleakest tale possible

The Great Silence is in fact my favorite western ever and imo one of the best movies ever made, I strongly recommend everyone in this thread track it down and see it in some way. Sergio Corbucci has said MLK Jr. and Malcom X both being assassinated is what inspired him to make it. It's insane to me that the guy that directed The Great Silence and Django also directed some incomphrensibly bad stuff like The White, The Yellow, and the Black/Samurai and stuff like that.

I'd try to get it with the Italian dub with English subtitles. The English dub is very accurate but some of the voice choices just feel kind of off.

Folks here might also dig Four of the Apocalypse, one of three westerns directed by Lucio Fulci.

Also after you watch The Great Silence, look up the alternate ending on YouTube because :laffo: a sad last ditch attempt to try to get it released in the US. It ended up not officially coming out in the US until 2001!

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 17, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Fulci also did Massacre Time, right? I saw a clip from that where a guy runs a cart into a barrier behind which three dudes are shooting at him, and once the cart hits the barrier it launches him over it and he shoots all three in the back

Yeah he did three, Massacre Time, Four of the Apocalypse, and Silver Saddle. The latter is probably the weakest and least interesting, but also has some good squibs and a couple of decently shot shootouts. I'd say they're all worth checking out on some level.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I posted about The Great Silence in the Western thread a few weeks ago, I just recently saw it for the first time. There are plenty of Westerns that have relatively bleak endings but nothing like that. It was seriously impressive actually, the nerve required to go through with that ending.

It's so loving good, also refreshing to see a genuinely leftist movie, I mean the the "bandits" everyone's so worried about are unarmed poor people. I mean they're Mormons also but still, like, drat.

Everyone should watch that movie, it's so well shot, incredible soundtrack, performances are all great, and the writing is pretty drat good too and it's paced really well which are two things you don't necessarily expect from a spaghetti western.

Also...hold my beer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p13gKTOpPc0

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The original cut of Cobra was like three hours long but they cut it down to 85 minutes which is amazing because it means they cut so much out but everyone agreed to keep the part where Stallone walks out with a giant novelty burger and says your burger's ready.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Strongly recommend people check out the unofficial Cobra remake series from Italy, Black Cobra starring Fred Williamson and its two sequels (there's a fourth one but it's composed of like test shots and alternate takes of the previous movies with like ten minutes of new footage).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1cKtmo56MQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmKKJP5OlJc

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The MSJ posted:

You can tell Guy Ritchie was limited by Disney when making Aladdin, because the movie barely attempted to make Aladdin into a cockney street fighter.

We finally saw this, what a weirdly broken, unfocused feeling movie, was a legit fascinating failure to us. Doubt I'll ever watch it again but it reminded us of Rise of Skywalker in how overproduced and oversupervised it clearly had to have been. Though contrary to what the trailers indicated Will Smith's Genie was the only good thing about it instead the misfire we were expecting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lobok posted:

The one major common premise among Mario games is the damsel-in-distress mission Mario is on to save the Princess and they should probably not do that. What might be tough, but really fun if they could pull it off, would be incorporating not just the classic Mario Bros.-style games but stuff like Dr. Mario, Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion, etc.

Just have him be a Dr. straight up who goes go-karting as a hobby with all his friends and like because he's awesome even though he changed careers have someone mention that he still pays into union dues to support his fellow plumbers. Luigi is a weirdo who ends up getting them both into all kinds of crazy poo poo with ghosts in a mansion/whatever. At some point they get separated and he can exclaim "Mario is missing!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

duz posted:

Fast & Furious 5 but it's karts and the safe is full of coins & power mushrooms.

When it flashes back to show the switch it's accomplished by a lakitu carrying the real safe away :perfect:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Ive never played a metroid game but you could probably start with samus having a team and one new guy is the audience insert, and he has to hide in some tech room in the middle as she goes alone in her special armor and he talks her thru it on the radio, rhen he has to fight off somethjng on his own and loses the radio so they each have individual final fights

The tech person's final fight has to be against one of the really basic large insect enemies Samus can kill just by walking into them in the games and he has to use every little improvised trick and thing in the communications room to stop it intercut with Samus' confrontation some massive Mother Brain/whatever the story's final ultimate foe is.

The best Metroid movie would basically be Fata Morgana but with scenes of Samus shooting aliens in between the parts where it shows natural beauty set to Mayan creation myth recitations or Herzog talking about whatever.

Basically play Metroid games they own. :D

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Waluigi is the by far the easiest Mario guy to make a movie out of, he comes with a personality (charmingly horrible) clear narrative goal (obtaining money) and the mechanics of the game (dumb physical comedy) translate well into film.

Plus it has easy sequel potential since each movie can end with him getting busted/losing his money to Wario somehow/whatever and him doing the EVERYBODY'S CHEATIIIIINNNGGG voice over.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

I wonder what the guy who played Goku is up to

That movie holds a special significance to me because while I had seen plenty of trailers and movies and thought they sucked, that was the first time I saw a trailer and though "who greenlighted this poo poo?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDBcF5i3bdM

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah 4 isn't great but for the most part works and has a pretty ridiculous/fun car chase too. But it also has the like Chekhov's Affirmations subplot where they talking about willing stuff to happen early on and then during the film's climax Murtaugh wills Riggs to be recovered and okay.

The flame thrower guy they go after in the beginning, was that meant as an homage to Exterminator 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D1CqVrGXdo

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I remember when 4 was coming out Gibson saying how like they were all too old for this poo poo now and how that was to be the final one and it would be a total joke to consider doing a 5th one because they'd be even older by the time it got made.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If I remember, Jackson turned in final cut before he had time to watch it, so it was probably heavily crunched.

Disney will force him to make a film more subdued than A Simple Plan.

Also IIRC there was some CG being finalized and they were even still shooting some quick stuff like a week and a half before the movie opened in theaters or something crazy like that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

but the movie has little internal cohesion, even down to its portrayal of violence (Is it supposed to be cartoon-y or disturbing?).

Sounds like the most accurate superhero comic movie ever made then.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lobok posted:

Cap has been worthy for a long time but Mjolnir has a tendency to be loyal to just Thor unless there's some kind of crisis or cause. It's part of why the mind-of-its-own development is easy to accept because its behaviour over the years suggested something else going on (unless Odin was micromanaging it the whole time).

Maybe in Ultron when it almost started to move slightly as soon as it did Captain thought of doing something unworthy with it thereby instantly making him unworthy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lobok posted:

You need both at the same time. Star Wars is so popular because it was a movie with Harrison Ford as Solo and a movie with Harrison Ford and his dog.

All they had to do was ape Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and bookend the movie with Harrison Ford.

Literally lol just have the part from Force Awakens when he's talking to Ben and ADR in Ford going "this reminds me of when I was your age and..." and then have the rest of the film Solo play as it is, then after it finishes Ben does the thank you I now know I have the strength to do this whatever/line and as he stabs Ford, credits roll.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Lmao at the entire 789 trilogy

Talk about a shaggy dog story

The Emperor has no force.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If they do a Hitman 3 of the new ones they definitely need to have one of the locations be a full out cruise ship.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

The second Hitman movie got it right by making 47 an unstoppable Terminator during the first act.

Shame about everything that came after those first 20 minutes.

That old trailer for Blood Money with the apocalyptic music with the narrator ranting about failing to find him/prove he still exists like he's the Candyman or Michael Myers or something was the Hitman movie I always wanted to see.

Edit:

This one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCzx3Wxw6M8

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Pitch Black is legit flames. The Chronicles of Riddick is 100% stupid and 100% awesome. Riddick 3 doesn't go in either direction hard enough, so it's an amusing enough watch but it feels inconsequential. The absolute best part of the movie is the scumbag rapist mercenary getting the poo poo thrashed out of him at every opportunity, ending with him getting his head chopped in half at the nose. Get wrecked, creep.

I was very disappointed in the third one's lack of confidence in itself after the first act.
That ending sequel hook though still makes me hopefull we get to see Lord of the Underverse Carl Urban.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

the_american_dream posted:

Calamity Jane
Premiering in

17 weeks

Holy poo poo I forgot this existed completely

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

Q'bert is not a Nintendo character, you amateur

Looking at a list of what characters appear in the movie, I believe they're referring to how Donkey Kong appears in a major scene.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

Sadly, I know that because I've seen the movie. I was referring to The Clowner's selective bolding to make a climax joke

My apologies for misunderstanding and also for having seen the movie, I've heard nothing but awful about it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

looking at the One Perfect Shot account now for the first time in a while, I'm mostly surprised by the number of gifs. Like, is it really, perfect shot if you can't pull a single frame from there that's worth using?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dim

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Gadget reminds me of Inspector Clouseau a lot, they even wear similar outfits.

Definitely no coincidence, Gadget has a mustache in the pilot and everything. Part of why they removed it was because they figured it was too brazen. But in the end I guess they took the most from Get Smart with the pulled out of their rear end gadgetry an just sort of careening into mission accomplished (I mean Don Adams voices him and all so that's a given).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also the original series was a French-American co-production and the character was co-created by two French dudes and an ex-Hanna Barbera story writer, which makes the Clouseau/Get Smart combo make a lot more sense.

Also they kept trying to reboot the show during the 90s and the 00s, and the results were exactly as awful as you'd expect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYRUJVPhYTg

In this series he actually got a promotion and became Lieutenant Gadget which is super weird
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE7jPSHZDh8

Also Brain the dog is barely in it because years of Gadget's abuse left him with crippling PTSD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99bT2_0Wx5o&t=469s

There was also a CGI series in 2015 which looks pretty meh

OMG I remember one of the 90s attempts! Even then it was awful to me

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Clowner posted:

The Adventures of Kitsune the Furry, in theatres fall 2040

The Shape of Water won four Oscars so I'd expect it sooner than that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

someone put a lot of work into that robot's rear end. I don't think that's just Vikander's butt done in metal, but there is no way for me to check without being a creepier person than i am by default so i'll just leave it.

That loving movie. Why do you bother getting Charles Dance to be in a movie about giant monsters and not give him a pithy monologue? Why do you get someone as good as Vera Famiga to do one front on to a webcam in the least cinematic way? What a loving waste of time.

I predict Godzilla vs. King Kong will have a ridiculously prestigious cast but each will only have like 30 seconds of screen time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

So what’s the story with You Should Have Left, because the House of Leaves influence is so blatant I’m starting to wonder if it started life as an adapted screenplay.

I think it's like a Slender Man meme -> The Tall Man situation where it was unrelated from the beginning but they intentionally went very close.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

God of War 1 (PS2) had this cool possible sequel extras with ideas the studio had for spin-offs. One was Kratos's EVIL! brother coming back for devil revenge. The other was a squad of Seal Team 6 mofos discovering the corpse of Cronos and venturing into the temple to fight a bunch of mythological monsters.

I still wish we got either of the God of War III versions that didn't happen where Krato teams up with like Baldur/etc. sort of Kratos-equivalent folks from each world mythology and they go on a planetary road trip destroying every pantheon together or the one where Kratos manipulates a few gods from each religion into fighting each other and in the ensuing chaos with them so distant from being physically around on earth Kratos convinces various important folks that the gods don't exist causing them to cease to exist because not enough people believe them and then it was going to end with Jesus being born and monotheism becoming more mainstream.

Either would have been way better than the God of War III we got.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

There's no point in there being a Metroid movie unless it has sufficient easter eggs to show how it's in the same universe as F-Zero, Kirby, Kid Icarus, and StarFox as is often shown in the games. But in doing so you'd kill the atmosphere a Metroid movie would live or die on so there's no point in making a Metroid movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Finally a documentary about Russell Crowe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lid posted:

I haven't seen it but from what i've heard the directors cut of KoH is meant to be one of the best films of the 21st century and should be in the same conversation as things like The New World, There Will Be Blood and other epics. I haven't seen it partially because of that level of praise and the original was so poor it makes me side eye it.

I don't know if it's one of the best films of the century, but it's extremely good and like 100x better than the theatrical version.

A lot of stuff that feels idiotic or out of nowhere in the theatrical version also makes a lot more sense when the characters are actually developed enough/given enough background that you can follow why who is doing what too. Like in the theatrical Orlando Bloom just like, out of nowhere personally invents anti-siege weaponry towards the end in like a week. In the director's cut it's more clear that he was literally a wartime engineer and working on Jerusalem's infrastructure longterm in general is like why he was being recruited in the first place, which he attempts to do some good with earlier with setting up better water circulation and stuff. Like it just feels much more coherent and focused.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

So despite the fact that his character actually survived the original trilogy Laurence Fishburne has stated that he wasn't even asked about appearing in Matrix 4.

That's hosed up. Like, they got Edward James Olmos to be Gaff again for one scene in the new Blade Runner and even did it in a way that perfectly fit into the the story and didn't feel like it was fan service or whatever.