Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

https://twitter.com/ADACTIVITY/status/1215017926455103488

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Can't wait to see Duncirc.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

smug jeebus posted:

How did they spend $150m making a dog movie

https://twitter.com/vfxblog/status/1231979600743452677

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Joss Whedon's never been quite this specifically gross. As in, I've never had the impression he is repeatedly putting his own rape fantasies on screen.

Buddy, he made Dollhouse.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

My Twitter Account posted:

I mean, it was fun? It was cute? I don't know much about the production aspect but I got the feeling while watching it that it was originally supposed to be more over-the-top violent (like the scene where Harley shoots a bunch of cops) but they toned it down somewhere along the line because they thought that would make it more appealing to a young, female audience.

I really don't think it was toned down, I mean because one, that scene the highlight of the film as is, and two, it's still full of poo poo like Harley jumping on that guys legs in the club. :gonk:

But yeah, BoP was the last film I saw in theaters, and I'm fine with that.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Doctor Zaius posted:

e2: This I think treats media as a sort of immaculate, sovereign object. Media cannot fail, it can only be failed by bad interpretation. If something seems bad on initial viewing, then you simply haven't been creative enough with your reading of it, because bad media is an oxymoron.

I mean, yeah?
If you simply say "This movie failed to do this, or did this on accident" you might as well be waving a gun around and screaming about plot holes.
"What does this film say?" is always the more interesting option, because it's actually a discussion.

Also yeah, your understanding of satire is about on this level.
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1230874850035716097

"The late-capitalist hellscapes that The Outer Worlds and Journey to the Savage Planet try to ridicule are not hypothetical situations lurking in the future. They exist today. As a result this satire just bounces harmlessly off its targets; it no longer has bite, and therefore, it isn't funny." :yikes:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

mycot posted:

Wasn't a pretty common complaint about Outer Worlds was that it was technically satire but didn't really seem to get why corporations and rampant capitalism are bad other than them being annoying?

Nah, like, as an offshoot of that article, probably the most interesting thing about Outer Worlds is it's the most depressing game I've ever played. I honestly can't believe anyone that actually played the game would come away with "companies are annoying"

Barudak posted:

I mean the first thing it tasks you to solve involves the company forcing survivors to have their wages garnished for suicides and that its feeding them food thats slowly poisoning them because their eventual slow deaths are cheaper than paying for real food. If you in another mission try to go for the "compromise" ending that other games love touting as the best solution between the rebels and the corporations things end up markedly worse than if you help the rebels just murder all the corporate people.

Im not sure how you play the game and think its critique is that corporations are just "annoying" unless you actively choose to disengage with the work.

Pretty much, people would complain about the game being "reactionary" but then it would turn out they chose that option because they personally thought it would be best.
Like gently caress that man, I lead a bloody coup and actually gave the colony a future.
People also acting like it's some flaw of the game that it lets you join up with the corporations if you want, and what, doesn't scold you? I don't get it.

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah, it's Elizabeth Warren the Game. The final position it takes is that there's nothing wrong with capitalism as long as you keep those darn corporations from being too pushy in their marketing.

Ah yes, the game where the government is planning on freezing the majority of the lower class rather than feeding them is about how annoying ads are. Great work there champ.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Doctor Zaius posted:

But then the actual media becomes secondary - you can come up with a 'this is satire, actually' take for anything you care to name, the actual media doesn't matter.

e: Birth of a Nation is an excellent piece of satire.

You need to actually back it up with a reading.
Why are you so concerned about what someone might hypothetically "say", especially when you're the one already arguing in bad faith.

Xarbala posted:

The Outer Worlds had some horrendously laughable writing in trying to inorganically force shades of gray in a setting where they made corporations unambiguously and cartoonishly evil.

And if you were hoping for some kind of emotional stakes, any emotional stakes in that game, well tough luck bud. Disco Elysium it ain't.

I mean, IRL corporations are cartoonishly evil, yet you still have people touting Elon Musk as a genius boy working for the common good. Whatever your problems with the game may be, the believably of that situation ain't one of them.

I haven't played Disco Elysium but I know that it will call you out if you keep talking big leftist points but then choose the centrist options. So apparently yes, people do need the game to directly scold them for it to be "good"

wyoming fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 25, 2020

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Doctor Zaius posted:

Yes, and you can put together a 'this is brilliant satire' type read on anything that has ever been made, like say, a lukewarm RPG. It's just a creative writing exercise at that point.

If you can back it up with the text, what is your issue here? You're the one making outrageous claims of nonsense. Like, what is a "Lukewarm RPG" and, why can't it say anything? What makes it especially devoid of meaning.
Are you really that mad people discussing film in cinema discusso?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Pirate Jet posted:

How am I supposed to respond to this base-level snark without starting a flamewar? Sorry I got you so mad with my opinion on a video game.

And yet, you still responded??? I don't really care if you liked it or not, but ignoring the text to make up random insults is weird.

Doctor Zaius posted:

The issue is that it becomes a masturbatory exercise that accomplishes dick all.

e: Like if the goal isn't to establish some sort of 'goodness' or 'badness' of a film (which I'll concede is a pretty meaningless thing as well), and it's not to persuade people to some position or another, then what *is* the point beyond 'talking about film for the sake of talking about film. (which even then isn't really talking *about* the flim)

So we shouldn't talk about movies at all? Like, I don't understand why you think there should be something to accomplish, you read art, you can share your reading, people can agree or disagree. That's art. I really don't get your point.

mycot posted:

Tbh that doesn't really argue that the game is funny, even if it's right/accurate.

The post I quoted was about it being believable, not funny. Like yeah, it's not a super funny game.
Well Martin is hilarious, but still, in a very sad way.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Here's a cool article about how they did the effects for Casper with real time hand drawn animation

https://beforesandafters.com/2020/05/28/the-real-time-hand-drawn-animatics-process-that-made-casper-possible/

#releasetheamigacut

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I am confusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-1RNJf9e0E

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Hey, a creeping man! For my film The Creeping Man!

The best part of this joke is Eddie Izzard eventually got it to happen.
That's 100% his role in The Avengers.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Grendels Dad posted:

Wtf Jason, stealing roles from professional wrestlers now?

Michael Keaton was a wrestler?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Taintrunner posted:

Odd. The comics came out in 2012. Huh.

it actually came out 2007-2008, maybe prufock451 has been doing some wiki-vandalism.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Gatts posted:

To this day the best game Square has ever put out is Vagrant Story. Still my favorite game of all time.

I just bought it earlier this year because of a twitter thread that was going on about how gorgeous and expressive the art is.
And it absolutely is and I love it, however, gently caress that combat system. Like, goddamn.

https://twitter.com/dreamboum/status/1226610123000467457

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

"All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you want to look, I gently caress like you want to gently caress. I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways your are not."

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Suddenly there was no Steven Seagal.

No, John. You are the Seagal.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Who Goes There? was a brilliant little story, but from what I've heard Frozen Hell just has more backstory, and that, does not sound super interesting.
Like yeah, sure, The Thing but we spend an hour showing why MacReady is ready to kill all these other assholes before the alien shows up.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So I really love the Thing prequel scene where they uncover the Thing’s ‘creator’, and it’s literally an incomprehensible pillar of shifting voxels.

Yeah, it's far more interesting than the predator but with eyesballs.
The tetris pilot is by far the most memorable visual in the film, and it's funny that when confronted with an unknowable horror, people long for a Cthulhu plushie.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Continue to give Gore Verbinski all of the money I say.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

:sickos:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I've been saying for years that Junkie XL should adapt this song for Batman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjFieQVvudY

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Hedrigall posted:

My favourite part about avatar is how millions of internet nerds read that one “biggest movie with no cultural impact” article and all parrot it like it makes them some media analyst

I also like how character names is apparently the one measure of a movie’s memorability

I couldn’t tell you a single character from Pulp Fiction apart from Vincent Vega but that movie is memorable as gently caress, I can picture every scene

I've only seen Avatar once and for whatever reason 'Jake Sully' is forever burned into my brain.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I just find it wild that they cast Oscar Isaac as Gomez in an animated movie. Like, what the hell.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Stop the Game: I Want to Get Off

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

🤔

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Jose Oquendo posted:

He did the Grandpa Munster bit all the way until the end. He even hosted a TBS movie program doing it.

Also these:

I still have a copy of The Living Head somewhere.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Honestly a stranger bit of propaganda than whatever the hell this is:
https://twitter.com/ev4ngeIion/status/1290801671182983169?s=19

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Stink Billyums posted:

RE2 did have a tyrant in a coat chasing you around, he just wasn't breaking through walls to surprise you.

No, he absolutely breaks through a wall, and considering it was prerendered or whatever, it is by far the biggest and most unexpected scare in the game.

Gatts posted:

Would RE1+2 have Wesker or was he a later addition?

He was in the first game. Pretty sure he just dies in it, and they brought him back later.

I'm talking about the original games, they've long been retconned.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 22, 2021

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://twitter.com/devtesla/status/1398378117631205377
lmao

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

duz posted:

Whatever do you mean

I mean, that strategy works in Dark Souls.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I still refuse to believe New Mutants or The Man Who Killed Don Quixote ever came out.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dinosaurs! posted:

Apocalypto plus Predator

No, Aguirre, Wrath of Predator

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Mother, tell your children not to grow up to be cowboys.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Movie tie in slot machines are disgusting.

Now movie tie in pinball machines, that's the good stuff.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1447926290825334793

this looks like it cost $10,000 to make

also bonus prison rape joke

Aisling Bea, no! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Vandar posted:

Mind explaining this one? What's the connection there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVmAcULPMu4