Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I saw Grindhouse at a drive-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

gently caress, the last movie I saw in a theatre was goddamn Birds of Prey.

People here kept posting it was good.
I mean, it was fun? It was cute? I don't know much about the production aspect but I got the feeling while watching it that it was originally supposed to be more over-the-top violent (like the scene where Harley shoots a bunch of cops) but they toned it down somewhere along the line because they thought that would make it more appealing to a young, female audience.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm also old enough that I saw the original Planet of the Apes series on their initial run as well as a poo poo ton of other movies at the drive-in back in the 60s and 70s because we didn't have an enclosed theater near my house.
The first movie I ever saw was at a drive-in. My dad took me to see the 1984 re-release of the 1967 The Jungle Book.

edit: there was one near my college where I once saw a double-feature of U-571 (which I remember absolutely nothing about) and The Skulls (which was more fun and I should watch again).

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 20, 2020

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think in legal terminology a life sentence in the US is considered to be 20 years, versus 'natural life' which means you're there until you die.
"Life without parole" means you're there until you die, "life" means you're eligible for release after a certain period (usually 20 years).

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

Aw man, what happened to Mena Suvari? Besides Hollywood being awful to women past the age of 25, I mean.
She recently played Nicole Brown Simpson in a "what-if-OJ-didn't-do-it" docudrama. It has a 0% on RT.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I still remember how Dick Tracy was loving everywhere leading up to the premiere and then it all disappeared just as quickly once it didn't do well that first week or two.
:confused:

It won three Oscars

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

the guy who started Benihana
Apropos of nothing, I just learned that this is Steve Aoki's dad.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

LionArcher posted:

are there any threads in here talking about licorice Pizza? and the controversy around it as once good "critics" get dunked on for having lovely takes about art?
I just caught up on this thread, but it seems like the argument here isn't so much that the audience "needs" to be told what's good and what's bad, it's that showing bigotry in a "the way it really was" context has a different effect on people who actually experienced that kind of racism in real life, so when you have a character just do a racism and then not get any sort of comeuppance for it, those audience members are coming away with a very different experience of the film.

Which got me thinking, is there something out there that's like I Spit on Your Grave but for racism? Like a movie where the setup is just watching some rear end in a top hat be the most vile, repulsive sort of bigot, and then the last half hour is that same character just getting absolutely bodied?

(edit: I think this is what people thought The Hunt was going to be, but then obviously it was not.)

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

IUG posted:

Are there examples of this? I didn’t even know Devo did this kind of work.

https://mutato.com/reels/commercials/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Brass Against is good and I'm sad that this admittedly extremely weird incident is going to be their defining thing now forever.