Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
For some reason I remembered the Phantom and the Shadow coming out earlier in the nineties, closer to Rocketeer and Dick Tracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It was weird watching the Phantom, having grown up reading far too many of the comics when I was younger. The movie itself wasn't that bad, but I think the biggest point of contention my friends and I had was that he was a bit too snarky at times.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like I get that the 90s movies managed to be more regressive than the comics were in the 40s in the Phantom's home country being generically exotic rather than let black people have a role, but in the comics both him and Lothar are very definitely from Africa.

Bangalla iirc started out as a European colony but gained independence at some point, and has quirky gimmick tribes but is also a modern democracy. The storylines get a bit funny given past incarnations of the Phantom especially tend to be globetrotters but spent a lot of time in Europe or America, while the modern stories tend to basically have Bangalla be his home like Gotham is to Batman or NYC to Spider-man. (or even moreso, since the Phantom is more active and integrated with the jungle tribes especially, not even counting the one at his home base who know his secrets) And some neighbouring countries are the less positive depictions of modern African states, like one that's ruled by a strongman dictator and ridden with pollution and authoritarianism, with political prisoners and Bangallan citizens drugged to use for plausibly deniable slave labour.

Still reckon, you could keep the Phantom's entire backstory entirely intact and just make it clear that the family line has married with locals and the current Phantom is of mixed heritage, and it solves so many problems.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Don't forget Dick Tracy.

So I actually have watched about 10 minutes of Dick Tracy. It was......enough for me to turn it off and decide that I probably don't actually care to see the rest of it lol.

Also those Phantom rings from Subway loving ruled and I had like two or three of them somehow and thought they were the most bad rear end thing ever. I wish I still had one of them but they are long lost to time :(

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I still remember how Dick Tracy was loving everywhere leading up to the premiere and then it all disappeared just as quickly once it didn't do well that first week or two.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Flattop was a loving G in that movie.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I still remember how Dick Tracy was loving everywhere leading up to the premiere and then it all disappeared just as quickly once it didn't do well that first week or two.
:confused:

It won three Oscars

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The marketing is definitely a big part of the story of that movie though because Disney did go all in on the marketing campaign to the point where it basically doubled the budget of the movie. So it ended up being a disappointment financially even though it made over 100 million.

It's held up extremely well though which is probably due to Beatty and his insistence that it be heavily stylized so that it would look like the comic strip. There were people who wanted to do it more as a gritty realistic gangster movie.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dick Tracy isn't a great movie but it's got so much style and Pacino is fun.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

endocriminologist posted:

the phantom shot swedish prime minister Olof Palme

Probably had it coming

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Basebf555 posted:

The marketing is definitely a big part of the story of that movie though because Disney did go all in on the marketing campaign to the point where it basically doubled the budget of the movie. So it ended up being a disappointment financially even though it made over 100 million.

It's held up extremely well though which is probably due to Beatty and his insistence that it be heavily stylized so that it would look like the comic strip. There were people who wanted to do it more as a gritty realistic gangster movie.

It's also known for accidentally revealing the twist in the climax 6 months before the movie released due to the action figures.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Thing about Dick Tracy is that it has run for so long that it has run through multiple styles. Like originally it was pretty gritty about serious criminals and then by the 60s there was crazy sci-fi Moon adventures and then in the 80s it went back to more serious stories walking back a lot of the sci-fi stuff.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like I get that the 90s movies managed to be more regressive than the comics were in the 40s in the Phantom's home country being generically exotic rather than let black people have a role, but in the comics both him and Lothar are very definitely from Africa...

...Still reckon, you could keep the Phantom's entire backstory entirely intact and just make it clear that the family line has married with locals and the current Phantom is of mixed heritage, and it solves so many problems.

Definitely, that'd help. The character is obviously coming from an anti-colonial and anti-racist place, even in the 40's, given its apparent choices for villains (who seem to be Western white corporate capitalists and what-not.) I just bounced off the racial politics of the '96 movie pretty hard. The comics are apparently still running under new authors, so if you have recommendations for contemporary takes on the character that rip on post-colonial arguments, I'm down.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

just weighing in to say The Phantom (1996) owns, and whips rear end

My specific issue aside, movie is still fun as gently caress. The pulp action serial thing is great, and I wish it happened more often.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Treat Williams swinging that skull laser around and merc'ing his second in command accidentally is an indelible image in my brain.

It's right up there with Flea and Anthony Keidis' Cameo in The Chase.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Xealot posted:

My specific issue aside, movie is still fun as gently caress. The pulp action serial thing is great, and I wish it happened more often.

It's a shame there isn't more of it, yeah. If only someone would properly promote the bra-

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

endocriminologist posted:

the phantom shot swedish prime minister Olof Palme

You knew this and yet said nothing, while the crime when unsolved, and his families pleas for closure went unanswered.

For shame. :colbert:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's also known for accidentally revealing the twist in the climax 6 months before the movie released due to the action figures.

The Madonna thing? How

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Hello. I see you are discussing Dick Tracy. I must fulfill my court-ordered obligation to mention Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy Special, a half-hour tv program from 2010 in which a 73-year-old Beatty, in character and in costume, is interviewed by Leonard Maltin about his history. This was done so that the rights to Dick Tracy would not lapse, as he delusionally maintains that he would still like to make a sequel to the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdFbiRK-UaY

Please note that this special was DPed by Emmanuel Lubezki.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Also, big ups to this stunt for landing on that special combination of not being especially impressive, but also looking extremely painful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdFbiRK-UaY&t=863s

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

The Madonna thing? How

IIRC the toy revealed that Madonna's character was also the Blank.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Dick Tracy loving owns as a comic book movie. :colbert:

The only part that I think wasn't "enough" was actually Warren Beatty. He wasn't nearly as over the top as his co-stars were.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DarkSol posted:

Dick Tracy loving owns as a comic book movie. :colbert:

The only part that I think wasn't "enough" was actually Warren Beatty. He wasn't nearly as over the top as his co-stars were.

Honestly that's a lot of "super hero" movies. The villains are often the far more interesting part. Particularly when the hero's are just always the best and just. Like it's pretty hard to make that interesting.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Simple solution is to make him a realistic cop.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ruddiger posted:

Simple solution is to make him a realistic cop.

Do not do what polices does. Bricks are not food people!

They are not tasty, they have basically no nutritional value, and are super bad for your teeth.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

How did I not know about that Dick Tracy special?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Because it was only made so Beatty could retain the rights and then it was quietly swept under the rug.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The panel I posted is from Erik Larsen’s Savage Dragon issue 252, where he paid homage to classic newspaper funnies, almost every strip was a two page spread dedicated to comics like Dick Tracy (which was parodied as Dick Tasty). Here’s the full page from that issue.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 3, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Because it was only made so Beatty could retain the rights and then it was quietly swept under the rug.

Reminds me of when a company tried to keep the TV rights to the Wheel of Time (before Amazon got them) where they had to produce something or lose them and so they threw together a lovely low budget prequel that they got on TV by buying an infomercial timeslot.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The only thing I remember about The Phantom is the villain rigged a microscope to have razors spring out of the eyepieces, and that's been nightmare fuel ever since.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Phylodox posted:

The only thing I remember about The Phantom is the villain rigged a microscope to have razors spring out of the eyepieces, and that's been nightmare fuel ever since.

Very much hosed up eight year old me.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC the toy revealed that Madonna's character was also the Blank.

Yeah, The Blank's action figure came with the mask as an accessory and unattached. The figure was labeled The Blank/Breathless Mahoney too.

A few years later they did the same thing with Mask of the Phantasm.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Phylodox posted:

The best thing was, if I remember right, was that it wasn't intended to be a sneaky murder trap that he could use discreetly, because in that same scene he just chucks a loving spear through someone's chest and doesn't give a gently caress who sees him do it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Phylodox posted:

Teaching children the very important message, that if you become a scientist you will be horribly murdered.

A very important message to install at a young age.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, The Blank's action figure came with the mask as an accessory and unattached. The figure was labeled The Blank/Breathless Mahoney too.

A few years later they did the same thing with Mask of the Phantasm.
Probably still a bit less of a big deal before the advent of social media. Even the early internet stuff took a while for stuff to spread.

I work in advertising and used to sit next to the people who managed banner ads. The girl who I sat next to accidentally activated an ad that wasn’t supposed to go live for several hours, spoiling a big product reveal. It was active for less than a minute but in that time somebody screenshotted it and it was up on Reddit shortly after.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

muscles like this! posted:

Reminds me of when a company tried to keep the TV rights to the Wheel of Time (before Amazon got them) where they had to produce something or lose them and so they threw together a lovely low budget prequel that they got on TV by buying an infomercial timeslot.

It's funny to bring this up during a thread conversation about The Phantom considering who is in it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Asterite34 posted:

The best thing was, if I remember right, was that it wasn't intended to be a sneaky murder trap that he could use discreetly, because in that same scene he just chucks a loving spear through someone's chest and doesn't give a gently caress who sees him do it.

Nah that happens in another scene where he's in a closed door meeting with a bunch of mob bosses.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It’s even worse than I remember, they’re just straight up x-acto blades.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

dr_rat posted:

Teaching children the very important message, that if you become a scientist you will be horribly murdered.

A very important message to install at a young age.

Important lessons I learned from cinema as a kid:

Always be on the lookout for quicksand

If you're a scientist you will be horribly murdered (unless your daughter is dating Santo)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think the scientist ffom The Shadow gets to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Someone earlier mentioned not having seen The Rocketeer.

It loving slaps rear end