Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ynohtna posted:

I'd like to see Guy Pearce in more things.

I just watched Rover with him and Robert Pattinson and thought that was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This movie would be completely forgettable if Guy Pearce wasn't cast in the lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4hZqrIM9w

Actually, it's still pretty forgettable, but Guy makes it worth a watch on a lazy sunday.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dom: “Human consciousness is a shared communal construct and films are just a visual representation of that, so you know what that means?”

*every film character in the entire history of cinema come together for a HUGE party*

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

aware of dog posted:

The future of cinema is the Galactic Senate, apparently
https://twitter.com/antovolk/status/1285291925751451651?s=21

This calls for a move

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It's all for nothing if there's no The Room cinematic universe.

And they all take place in The House That Jack Built.

Or they’re all different levels of the Dark Tower.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Alhazred posted:

The funniest part of Battle: Los Angeles is that they make a big deal out of the fact that you have to hot the aliens on specific spots early on and then they ignore it for the rest of the movie.

I thought it was funny that a movie called Battle: Los Angeles was completely shot in New Orleans.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I heard an ad on the radio this morning trying to get people to go out to the theater to watch Tenet and I was like tf is wrong with these psychos

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

relaxing at the movies with my buds

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drunkill posted:

So I guess Miller and WB settled the court case/legal action over payouts for Fury Road? This movie should have already been made and released by now if not for that.

The pandemic is making wb crawl back to all the filmmakers they hosed over.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Why would I watch Oscar Bait Gummo when I could just watch Gummo

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder which version of Empire they’re showing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lid posted:

The only person to play David Bowie is Tilda Swinton.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It was kind of amazing how they were able to keep upping the insanity on 24. Jack executed a dude in police custody, then sawed off his head to intimidate a witness into telling him where THE BOMB is, and that was only the beginning of the second season!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

I dunno, what's with your terrible posting gimmick

You normalizing hegemonic racism has nothing to do with other posters and the quality of their posts.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

Oh my literal God, now people are unironically agreeing with Rapey Joe Stalin

Are you trying to draw a false equivalency between your hegemonic racism with your imagined rapist fantasies of a random internet poster? Pretty disgusting way to deflect.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

While bigotry against a nation and the people from/residing in it is entirely possible, and indeed is pretty common, I'm not sure you can specifically be racist against French people.

It’s cultural racism normalized by racial hegemony. If the English could be racist against the Irish, why would it be called something else if it was Americans pushing the same rhetoric?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm french canadian and never thought frog was a slur. We got different epithets though so maybe that's a France-specific thing.

As with all slurs, intent lies with the user.

At the end of the day, you’re either someone who makes excuses for slurs, or you can acknowledge the objective history of it. Just know you’re not bringing anything new to the table when you use and defend slurs. You’re just reinforcing the systemic status quo, which is the antithesis of progressivism.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 5, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

like i'm gonna be honest i legitimately thought y'all were doing a bit getting mad at that person and not being completely serious

I’m a person of color who has dealt with systemic racism all my life. I’ve been labeled “white” on official government forms even tho my skin is clearly not white. Systemic racism is systemic racism no matter how you want to flavor it, “white” is an ideology so using white identity as an excuse to use racial slurs against other “white people” is, again, just normalizing the systemic racial quo.

You dismissing people challenging your hegemonic worldview as dumb just goes to show how willingly ignorant you choose to be.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 5, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

this is the absolute dumbest rear end discourse i have ever seen, up there with the bodybuilding forum debating how many days there are in a week, and i'm pretty sure continuing to participate in it is going to give me CTE

This is peak American_ideology.txt right here.

Thanks for actively working to preserve the status quo tho.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xealot posted:

What a confusing hill to die on. The French have profoundly never faced systemic oppression on the basis of their perceived ethnicity. Until recent history, they were among the worst colonial oppressors. Calling them "frogs" is on par with calling a white American a "gringo" or a Briton a "limey." Like, at worst it's kind of rude and mostly just embarrassing for the person delivering the insult.

Given that Middle Eastern or francophone African people in France are constantly marginalized by the dominant white culture, I imagine they'd be more confused and possibly delighted to be labeled as unconditionally French by some rear end in a top hat.

Spain is an imperialist empire with a similar history as France. Any of you brave defenders of using slurs wanna tell me why it’s okay to call Spanish people (who identify as white, mind you) slurs?

E: it should also be noted that Mexican born Mexicans use the term “gringo” for anyone born in the US, including Mexican Americans, and is absolutely used as a term to define otherness between Mexicans. Mexicans born in the US use equal language to otherize their southern born brothers (ie. paisa/mojado/etc), which just further cements how systemic racism has nothing to do with “white/black” and everything to do with capitalist oppression and division of the working class.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 5, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

racism in 2020 is just deeply amusing to me

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

like I'm back to wondering if this is some kind of elaborate joke now because there's no way this many of you are this dumb.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

i'm pretty sure continuing to participate in it is going to give me CTE

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

i love how people on SA will always have the dumbest idiot meltdowns

quote:

"LOOK AT THIS GUY HAVING A MELTDOWN"

Insulting the intelligence of others while joking about brain damage, just having a normal one in the greenlight thread.

E: I’m glad someone brought up liberalism because the biggest complaint about libs is their SUPPORT FOR THE SYSTEMIC RACIAL QUO. Choosing to use their language of otherization is peak liberalism.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 5, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Looking forward to Dread Pirate Robbie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

seriously people need to stop sleeping on Big Fish

I saw it for the first time last year and it quickly became one of my faves. It’s a very beautifully told movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF7hGBT6kAs

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

I'm just glad in this movie Gal gets to do what she loves finally, murdering middle easterners in their homeland.

:eyepop: :captainpop: :eyepop: :chanpop: :eyepop:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You think that’s bad Ryan Dunn’s been confined to the cemetery since shooting started.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I didn’t think I could this angry at a movie but here I am.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

So do you not like the first terminator, or just love avatar that much?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

aware of dog posted:

iirc the clone wars also had an episode where a ship was destroyed by reprogramming its navigation system to force it to jump to hyperspace with a planet directly in its path

What happens to the inhabitants of that planet?

Extinction level event?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Give Stargate to Ridley Scott.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Everyone always compares Avatar to Ferngully but Jake changing from a white man to a minority reminded me more of this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2enico0VdU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Did people not watch the last third of the movie where the American empire is driven off the planet?

The movie ended before we got to see the Americans come back and glass the place from orbit.

Or even better, we come back with a giant spaceship/fracking machine and daisy chain a giant pipe down from orbit to drink up their milkshake, just like we’re doing with the Dakota Pipeline.

Maybe that’ll be in the sequel?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The influence of Spaceballs on modern sci fi, including the new Star Wars movies, is pretty great.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911950&perpage=40&noseen=1

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I remember my old coworker getting completely loving aggro when I told him Palestinians really embraced Avatar, so I’ll always appreciate the movie at least for that.

E: Gaza page sniper :69snypa:

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 24, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Im cool enough with Avatar but one day...one day...all this arguing will be over and goons will be able to concede 300 is a racist fascist film and not just go "no man you dont get it, ur stupid, it's not racist and fascist, it's from the pov of racists and fascists!!"

I’m sure someone said the same thing about Robocop once too, since it’s just another piece of copaganda, unless you like, get it, man.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Robocop is very obvious satire

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/07/17/movies/film-robocop-police-drama-with-peter-weller.html

quote:

The plot, in case you need a respite, involves a corporate vice president (Ronny Cox) who is in cahoots with the bad guys, and another executive (Miguel Ferrer) who is a cocaine-sniffing decadent. Is that meant to be a comment on big business? Don't worry about it. Whatever may have been in the minds of the writers, Edward Neumeier and Michael Miner, has more trouble emerging from Mr. Verhoeven's sizzling battles than poor Murphy does from his robosuit. TO SERVE AND PROTECT

Starship Troopers had a similar knee-jerk reaction against its “obvious pro-fascism” but people still would rather ignore history than choose to repeat it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The best part was when Leonidas tells the hunchback guy he’s too deformed to be part of the Spartan phalanx and that the strength lies in Spartan formations, but then the Spartans are shown to continually break their own ranks to perform sick spin moves, and that they also brought non-Spartan subcontractors to soak up most of the damage.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

This is a positive portrayal if you’re into giant gay men and monsters, just saying

I’m feeling called out.

Also, lol that someone implied that I’m white. In your dreams, maybe. ;-*

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

The Snyderdome was made for derails like this, I’ve heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So: what are his glorious qualities?

He’s a white man, age 18-40, with a smoking hot bod, therefore he is right, cool, good, and my friend.

AmericanWesternLogic.txt