Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I have no interest in the film whatsoever, but I desperately hope Laura Dern is controlling that.

There's going to be an on-the-nose "You have a t-rex mech?" "We have a t-rex mech!" wink to the original and it will be as terrible as you can imagine it being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's literally more accurate to the original movies.

Yeah, when people go “they needed more Godzilla, less of the other monsters” I always wonder if they’ve ever actually seen a Godzilla movie. The baddies always dominate the first half alongside whatever human story is going on, with Godzilla being a brief interlude as he’s vacationing somewhere, until finally the bad kaiju does something bad enough around the halfway point that Big G gets pissed off, comes ashore, slaps it around a bit until it dies or goes away, then goes back to bed.

There are movies that don’t follow this formula, of course, but they usually are stories directly about Godzilla (like Destroyah and the whole “melting down” thing), or are like that one that’s more about a latchkey kid getting lost in Tokyo that I’m pretty sure just used old footage like a clip show.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

I haven't read anything by Cline so I'm asking from a place of ignorance, but wouldn't toning down that stuff require some sort of talent to, you know, actually write? Something that, as far as I gathered, Cline is loving godawful at.

I think I realized Hollywood hit a nadir when Cline and Cargill, loving AICN talkbackers, were getting screenplays picked up.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ready Player Two is going to open with Cline fridging the first girlfriend to give the main a revenge plot and then introducing a new hotter girlfriend who the main has to teach/mansplain all his insane 80s pop culture knowledge to. You all know this going to happen.

Will this also lead to the world’s worst love confession scene ever like in the first one, where it becomes clear really quickly that Cline has never met a woman with even reasonable self-esteem?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

That’s one way for him to reword them telling him “could you actually add something weird to this script called DOCTOR STRANGE, please”

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

davidspackage posted:

Was Apocalypse Now the laziest Brando's ever been? I know he refused to learn his lines and was filmed in shadow to hide how fat he'd become. I believe Island of Dr Moreau is a close contender.

For Superman he learned zero lines; everything he says in that movie was hidden somewhere on the set for him to read, including on the baby's diaper.

Brando had a weird thing where, when he would show up on set, he'd begin to suggest weird or dumb things to put into the movie and his performance, and if a director went "uh huh, sounds great, we'll try that!" he decided that guy was a doormat and would literally turn the rest of time he was on set turning the director into a shell of a man. If the guy told him "go gently caress yourself, Marlon, hit this mark, do the lines, deal with it" he'd actually do the (minimum amount of) work required of him.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Sorry ladies, I’m Na’vi

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Do you mean penance or was the Vice President involved in that movie?

The best thing for the inside of a man, is the outside of a... water... alien... thing

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Sharkboy and Lavagirl was co-written by his son, who was ten at the time, so it’s at least what one kid is into

I think the movie has a song about drinking milk? Me and a couple of co-workers watched it after hours when I worked at a theater because, hey, Anaglyphic 3D after 2000 was a rarity. I remember nothing except for the milk song and George Lopez being in it as the dad. Or was it a teacher? I imagine Cheech showed up too, he just seems to wander into Robert’s yard on accident by this point and ends up roped into three of his movies every time he does.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How is that Rodriguez can take 50 million dollar movies again and again and they all look like poo poo.

I was just reminded of when Spy Kids 3 came out and we got it at our theater, but whoever was the projectionist on duty the night it came in and was spliced together accidentally put like reel four in front of reel three, so the movie was now out of order.

One person in the entire time - roughly six weeks - we had that movie complained, and that’s because they were somehow seeing the movie a second time, having seen it elsewhere. No one else noticed, or at least complained. We never bothered to fix it because there was no time in the summer to tear down half a film and then re-splice it back together properly.

I did accidentally put a reel of Julie & Julia in upside down once, but that was an easy fix - snip the splices on both ends of the reel and just... flip the film... oh god it’s sagging please don’t fall into a pile oh god oh god oh god - over and resplice! Perfectly simple.

Not 100% sure why “Robert Rodriguez’s movies usually look lovely” reminded me of that beyond “apparently he makes movies where the middle absolutely doesn’t matter at all, too” crossing my mind

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

pospysyl posted:

Spy Kids 3 seems like exactly the kind of movie where you could mix up the different reels because it's an episodic sort of structure where they go to different videogame levels. Who cares whether they go to the volcano level or the ice level first?

I had a feeling that might have been it back then. Although we did have an employee sit through the movie after that complaint and he was like “I wouldn’t be able to point out where it got messed up if I tried”

Hell, for all we know we didn’t screw up and whatever other theater that person had seen the movie at had. I just remember it being ridiculous because the complaint was on the first showing Saturday of opening weekend, so that family had literally seen the movie the day before and was seeing it again. On a beautiful, cloudless summer day.

Tourists. Pah.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Doh ho ho ho. The real-life epilogue to Julie is something out of a sketch comedy.

Oh god I don’t know this, tell it tell it tell it

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

:stonk:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Brie Larson is a video game fan, specifically a big Nintendo nerd, she’s going to keep saying it until it actually happens because it’s probably an actual dream role for her

Pretty sure the reaction would be “is she going to dye her hair green?” “Yes” “okay then”

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

Joseph Leonard Gordon-Levitt wants it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeK9CP84Qlk&t=460s

I remember there being some discussion about that, since it sounded like they wanted to pay you in exposure for your piece of content.

I mean that’s what the gaming community thought, despite the website’s entire point being “creative group projects, that the group actually can make money on”.

Yes, it’s unsurprising that games journalists would never actually bother to research something just outside of their wheelhouse and instead purse their lips, blow, and proclaim that clearly Ubisoft and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are ripping off people and then never follow up on it because lol actual journalism in video games.

So here’s Joseph Gordon-Levitt himself explaining how the whole thing works!

https://hitrecord.org/records/3565193

The whole website is also something that he and his brother, Dan, came up with before his career kicked up again, sixteen years ago (and why the gently caress not, he wanted to go do creative stuff, had 3rd Rock money which is more than any one human could ever need, and nobody was hiring him until Rian Johnson nabbed him for Brick and his acting career was resuscitated). Dan OD’d back in 2010, so the site kinda means a hell of a lot to JGL as like the last big thing he and Dan ever got to do together.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Alhazred posted:

It's almost as the devs talked about what the game will (maybe) be like and released two trailers.

Huh, guess I’m hallucinating this:

https://youtu.be/S9YCRKFcMtE

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Payndz posted:

Was he the same guy who said at some major 'creative direction of the entire company' meeting that the protagonists of Ubi games had to be "STRAIGHT WHITE ALPHA MALES, NO EXCEPTIONS"? Resulting in Evie from AC Syndicate's share of the story being massively cut down (didn't matter, I played as her at all times unless a mission forced me to be Jacob, because he was a swaggering bell-end).

I know he was the guy who when a creative lead left the room to go to the bathroom, put on a song about loving (lead’s name) in numerous graphically described positions that he quickly shut off as she returned to the room to continue her pitch, at least. But what you wrote was probably also him.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, that must have completely passed me by. To me, Mulan is on about the same rung as, say, the Hunchback movie.

It is huge with Millennial women. I don’t know if I know any that are indifferent or hate it. I presume this is because for a lot of them it was the first movie they might have seen where it’s just a bad rear end woman doing bad rear end things and isn’t jonesing for some dude’s dick.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So the film ends with Polanski fleeing on a plane to France while LAPD chase the plane on the runway?

Why would there be a time jump four years into the future in a movie about Chinatown

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

“How I Met Your Mother killed the traditional sitcom!” says person not remembering The Big Bang Theory was one of the biggest TV shows of the past decade and only ended last year

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I’m maybe interested in that if one of them pulls a DeNiro in Raging Bull and balloons to John Candy size for the role

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

What if I’m sexily rad

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

(apparently nobody in the future society is interested in finding out what's going on with the whole wormhole situation.)

Why would they be? Society doesn't know about it. They just know Murphy Cooper solved the equation to allow humanity to get out into space safely on gigantic colony ships. Her dad is just some guy who gave birth to the savior of humanity, ergo why when he's like "nice of y'all to name it after me" they're like "uh, it's named after your daughter". Like he's probably just some sob story about her growing up covered in the surely hundreds of biographies that would be written about her once humanity was spacebound - lost her mother very young, her dad went out to space and was never heard from again, her grandfather died of dust lung, nearly lost her brother and his family to the same, her mentor died before he could solve the equation, but she persevered and solved the impossible. Also claims the equation came to her because of a ghost, but hey, aren't all saviors of humanity a little crazy?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

:capitalism:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I like how people assume Raimi + Dr. Strange will turn out great, when the last time Raimi hopped onto an odd project for Disney we got - yes, this did come out, although god knows no one has thought of or spoke of it in the last seven years - Oz The Great and Powerful.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

A Bond movie runs into problem as a PVOD streaming opportunity since, unlike Trolls or Mulan or The Witches, it’s a movie that has two other heavy partners on the picture in EON and MGM whereas the other three movies are all internal productions. There’s likely a lot of contractual entanglements built under the assumption that this thing would play in theaters with home video revenue coming later (and maybe more heavily weighed to Uni as EON and MGM would have presumably made the lion(:dadjoke:)’s share of profits from the theatrical; in other words, they get the upfront money, but Uni gets the long tail) that now would have to be page one re-negotiated since all of it is technically “home video” revenue in that case. It probably gets real messy real quick.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The rights have always been with Sony :psyduck: how do you people think this deal worked, hell, it wasn’t even Sony approaching Marvel, it was Marvel approaching Sony because they wanted to use Spider-Man in their movies, and a deal they offered where, in exchange for using Spider-Man in the MCU, Sony would have access to certain Marvel characters and other IP upon approval, Sony would get some small (like 5%) amount of the gross from movies Spidey appeared in that were released by Disney, and they could sell the movies they made under the deal as being part of the MCU, of course. Sony would maintain total control of casting and hiring of creative for their Spider-Man movies (while also having to pay for 100% of them, including RDJ’s ridiculous quote), with Kevin Feige operating in a consultative role, basically “godfathering” the film the same way Nolan “godfathered” Man of Steel. He had some degree of approval over the script, insofar as it couldn’t run against plans they had for Spider-Man or other Marvel characters in the Disney movies that would surround the release of Sony’s. But Disney never “owned” him as a film character, as the rights to the character in movies stayed in Sony’s hands the whole time. (If Sony needed to go to Disney, after all, why would Disney not try to make a deal where they’d get back their far-and-away most popular character and all his related IP? They would have had the leverage in such a situation.)

Sony actually turned down the deal at first; this was an interim time after Pascal had stepped down from her position - and it was Pascal, who formed a production company, Pascal Pictures, following her leaving Sony, who talked Marvel into approaching Sony since she had been a mentor to Feige when he was but a wee associate producer on the first Raimi movie while Amy ran that whole show, the success of the first two being what got her the position as the creative head of Sony Pictures - but Layton, the business end of the duo, was still in his (waiting out his contract to take a “job” on the board of Snap, Inc). Kaz Hirai, still CEO of Sony Corp at the time, got wind of this meeting and basically forced Layton to call them back and take the deal. It was also likely that around the same time John Drake in Sony Interactive Entertainment was talking to Marvel about the Spider-Man game and that there was an obvious benefit to the company overall to have poo poo be somewhat coordinated. (Note that the deal there worked out so well that Disney basically swiped Drake from SIE to run their third-party relations.)

It wasn’t the first time Disney worked out a weird sort of deal - when they bought Marvel, The Avengers was already in pre-production and Paramount had put some money in, as they had been doing since Iron Man as the distributor of the MCU. Disney basically bought the distribution of Iron Man 3 and the Avengers off of Paramount in 2010 (and in 2013 grabbed the rest of the prior MCU films), in exchange for letting Paramount keep their logo at the head of the films and get a healthy percentage of both Avengers and IM3’s gross returns. I think they literally got a fifth of Avengers and 15% of Iron Man 3, it was a ridiculous number, I remember that much.

So it’s really just a weird deal in which Disney has been effectively licensing their own character to appear in their own movies from a company who happens to have exclusive rights in this certain format to him. Fun with show business law! Like Monopoly for nutcases.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It’s not so much one person, but just the general belief that continually floats around that Sony ran to Disney and begged them to save Spider-Man when it was more Marvel/Disney wanting to try to juice the returns on their biggest and most expensive movies ever by having what’s still the single most popular Marvel character by a long shot in them. Conveniently also giving the license holder in this case, Sony, a sweet deal and an out from the Amazing series - which died because ASM2 did horribly in the US ($202 million is real bad when the also poorly-received Spider-Man 3 did $334 million domestic), where, as we know, the split is most favorable for a studio due to there being far less intermediaries to slice out the returns with.

Like, people can talk up ASM2 all they like (that’s fine, I’m something of a fan of Spidey 3 myself), but that movie bombed in the home market to a level no other Spider-Man film had and made the myriad ideas for spin-offs just seem like engaging in sunk cost fallacy.

Same reason the 2016 Ghostbusters reboot hit a wall - it barely made more, unadjusted, than 1989’s Ghostbusters 2 (a whopping $14 million more) and came in at about the same amount of the first movie’s very original release domestically, which of course when you actually adjust for inflation means it made about $300 million less(!) than the first and $220 million less(!!) than the sequel and ended up costing Sony a lot of money. No wonder they appear to be going hard into hitting the nostalgia button with Afterlife.

ASM2 at least crawled to profitability, but only like $70 million or so with very limited paths forward to take the series and the stink of failure on it in the country where the character is most popular. It did not bode well for a third time at the plate for the Garfield/Webb combo, especially without Stone to bring her particular charm and appeal with women.

Anyway, I have doubts that all of that prodding the fan base that Disney did late last year to force Sony into continuing the relationship only led to them squeezing one more movie out of the deal (which definitely was done with after Far From Home, the whole inciting incident of that whole thing was Sony saying they were going forward without Marvel involvement on the follow-up to FFH). I’d be shocked if that was the case. Even if it is, what prevents Disney from just poking the fan base into a frothing rage again to keep stringing the deal along, unless this year plus without Marvel movies does actually undermine the cultural cache it held for a decade?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

Should I expect AMC and Regal to be gobbled up by Amazon before the end of the year, then?

Probably only one of them, and maybe not in this year, but since all of this isn’t going to lighten up for a ways into next year, at some point in 2021 would be my guess.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

One of them will be bought by disney.. once the time is right

Disney just laid off 28,000 people, their primary profit driver is currently likely a money pit, and they spent $72 billion on buying a competing movie studio a year ago, they likely don’t have loose cash just floating around to buy that much real estate and won’t for several years.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Anonymous Zebra posted:

They also lost Chadwick Boseman completely unexpectedly (even the people working on his last film had no idea he was about to die), which completely fucks up their plan to move Black Panther as the centerpiece of the next set of MCU films. Disney was looking pretty invincible 7 months ago because they were so large and were everywhere, but it turns out a big beast like that needs lots of food and without their theme parks OR their movies they are starving very fast. I'm actually legit worried that Disney might implode simply because every revenue source except for Disney+ (which is apparently carrying the whole company right now), and merch sales is in the red right now. It's bad news when even Disney cheerleaders like Jenny Nicholson are on Twitter talking about how they couldn't be paid enough to go back to the parks (and that's AFTER she already had COVID-19).

Disney+ still costs Disney more money than they make off of it. This past quarter they had revenue of $4.1 billion, but Disney spent around $5 billion to have it up and running with fresh content and advertising it and it posted a loss of $812 million.

The real savior for them has been owning like a dozen TV networks and cable channels and the content producers for those things (Fox Entertainment, for example). They actually posted an operating income increase of $145 million over the same quarter in 2019 in that segment.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

My guess is AT&T came in, looked at the amount Miller was asking for, was like “lol you’re holding all this up over that amount?” to the execs who were dragging the whole thing out, and paid it. I want to say the same thing happened when Warner took direct control over New Line post-Golden Compass, in the middle of NLC and Peter Jackson being engaged in a lawsuit over LoTR royalties. New management comes in, looks at the cost of making the plaintiff in the lawsuit happy, thinks about what potential money is being lost because they’re not striking the iron while it’s still glowing, and makes the sensible decision.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The third one got made while the original devs (Crystal Dynamics) were working on the Avengers game, by the same people that have been making the Deus Ex reboot series (Eidos Montreal).

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

I didn't realize there was an extended cut, although I think I remember reading that a few scenes in the script weren't present in the theatrical release.

What got added in?

There’s an earthbound prologue where Jake fights a guy who’s loving with a woman at a bar, and he and his wheelchair are tossed into an alley, where the guys who send him to Pandora find him

There’s also a scene with the story about why Sigourney Weaver’s character doesn’t teach the kids anymore; basically Neytiri’s older sister got pissed the company was slicing down trees everywhere, she went and joined up with some fellow-minded Na’vi and busted some of their equipment up, and... the mercenary security force chased them back to the school and massacred them in front of the kids, including Neytiri

And I think there’s more “Jake training” stuff and some extensions to scenes. The two biggest ones I can think of is that prologue and the big Sigourney scene.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Roth posted:

I'm rather fond of it. It feels stylistic in a way that's evoking the comic to me.

It’s exactly how Miller and Varney did blood spray for some time, it’s a very deliberate stylistic choice, it’s quite literally ink splatter

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is one of my favorite things about Sucker Punch - even in the dance sequences they are practically covered head to toe with clothing that's not especially revealing. Wonder if it's saying anything that people remember the movie as incredibly salacious and horny with upskirt shots galore?

There’s that story David Fincher tells about being at some dinner party after Se7en had come out and being berated by a woman over putting in the gratuitous shot of Gwyneth Paltrow’s head in the box. David at first points out that, no, he didn’t, they never even made anything like that to put in the box, they never shot anything like that, and then eventually he gave up and let her vent her spleen at him for another few minutes before she wandered away, sated, leaving him chuckling as he turned back to his producer and then-girlfriend and continued on enjoying the night.

I think about that a lot whenever people discuss some version of a Zack Snyder film that doesn’t correspond to the one that exists. It’s amazing what you can make people fill in the spaces with by just giving them the room to do it inside their minds. That he seems able to do it with every movie he makes - I remember complaints about him showing the protagonists shooting the zombie baby in Dawn of The Dead, a thing that’s only depicted by the sound of a gunshot over a mall hallway, so people have been doing this since he started making movies - really suggests a knack for this sort of thing.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The Klowner posted:

I really like him in everything I've seen him in, so it's a shame to find out that he just might be a right-wing looney

He’s a moderate Republican, really hated Trump, otherwise doesn’t really talk about politics. Big fan of EC Comics, science fiction, film noir, and The Twilight Zone. Seems to work because he’s one of those “live to work” guys and so he takes any drat thing that gets dropped in front of him, sometimes because they excite him like The Mist or the first season of The Expanse, but he still will show up in, like, AXL or LOL or whatever because they hit his quote and it’s something to do.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Firstborn posted:

Isn't he just the producer?

It’s being made by MachineGames, the studio that made the Wolfenstein games for the previous generation. I’m guessing Howard’s having his name on it either because Disney thinks there should be some name they can use to talk about the game in videos for investors to see (and so they can say “produced by the director of the Elder Scrolls and Fallout game series” in press releases and etc.), or Todd squeezed himself into the project so he would get some percentage of the money when the game inevitably sells several million copies.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Cacator posted:

What's the backstory behind this? Why was Soderbergh trying to prove a point to Trent Reznor?

He just wanted to do it, this was from when he was “retired”. Because he can’t actually sit still, he spent those years doing weird things like this and became a poster for a couple of years before deciding he wanted to keep making movies instead and went back in with Logan Lucky.

I don’t recall him trying to make any point to Reznor with it, it was simply a score he really liked that he thought would be incongruous enough with the original (and was roughly the same length as the Raiders score) to allow people to concentrate on the staging, cinematography, and editing since the iconic Williams score has a tendency to sweep you up into what’s happening and not how it’s made.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Is that trailer by the goon kiimo?

I think it’s probably from the guy kiimo always said Warners gave their big, big movies to for trailer work when he was working there.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

“We just really wanted to explore that cupboard under the stairs, y’know?” Damon Lindelof explains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

X-Ray Pecs posted:

He doesn’t even work in Guardians, he gets upstaged by a CGI raccoon.

Regardless, his best role in his career had him in pro baseball shape, so it’s not even a case of “he needs to be fat to be good”, it’s a matter of “Hollywood will chuck the shittiest screenplays at him, utterly convinced that him being able to tell a joke and women finding him hot means his screen presence will paper over sub-par everything else”.

Nobody remembers him as Scott Hatteberg in Moneyball, but he’s so goddamn fantastic in a minor but extremely key role. It got obscured because people lost their mind over “comedian can do drama?!?!?!” again with Jonah Hill and I’m assuming Parks & Rec hadn’t hit the peak of its popularity yet. It’s another three years until Guardians comes out when Moneyball releases, and a year ahead of Zero Dark Thirty, where I remember critics beginning to actually note his performance. But Hatteberg is the best I’ve ever seen Pratt do as an actor. And I suspect, at the rate he’s going, it might stay that way.