Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Amnistar posted:

...also habeet got me excited with this post, we still need 1 more.

*sigh*

This is probably a mistake, but maybe I’ll die quickly. Let’s go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Welcome to the Council of Nations.

I have identified the entirety of the scum team:

-CPig
- xiw
-Eat the Rich
-RF

You’re welcome.

##vote CPig

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Now I’m going back to bed, that was hard work.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

2 penny bottle imp posted:

Okay soo uhhhhh no one is allowed to hold me av against me this game.

I’ve already used my N0 game-wide cop to investigate all players and you are cleared. You have nothing to fear.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

2 penny bottle imp posted:

Just lol for creating a role that forces you to manually track Steak's insane vote ramblings.

Amnistar posted:

My regret is palpable.

:golfclap:

Lumpen posted:

Except (if you're even telling the truth) being able to stack votes on the same player would be the obvious upgrade, and would be a dangerous power on a secret-alliance aligned player (SAAP).

Good point here.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Also, not that this is necessarily an imminent concern yet given I started the game and went to sleep and woke up three hours later to 52 unread posts, but Amnistar, do we have lurker rules?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

SalTheBard posted:

Is joke phase even a loving thing anymore?

IllegallySober posted:

Welcome to the Council of Nations.

I have identified the entirety of the scum team:

-CPig
- xiw
-Eat the Rich
-RF

You’re welcome.

##vote CPig

Nope.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Amnistar posted:

Yea sure. If you have less posts than me in a given day, you dead.

Quick, let’s rolling start someone and then eleven players die :twisted:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Lumpen posted:

My friend, I am the inventor of Content Game.

Okay, then give the rest of us a content game to play while you continue to tunnel on ol’ Steak-umms here.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Lumpen posted:

Content Game Round 1:
Illegally Sober, name three names.

Xiw, Eat The Rich, RF

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Lumpen posted:

I note you have chosen 2 people who have not posted since the game started, and one who only made a non-game-related post about modding. Thank you, very interesting.

They were also the three people on my opening-game post I’m not currently voting for.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Leith Maclaine posted:

Can someone explain how Content Game is judged? I am interested in this tactic on joke phase?

Sal, Lumpen, Steak

I’m pretty sure it’s in Master Lumpen’s sole discretion.

Also, you haven’t been called on yet, please raise your hand and wait patiently.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Look at all these people flagrantly flouting the rules of Lumpen’s game. So scummy.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

RF was also on my list so sure.

##vote RF

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

pls no

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Amnistar posted:

Hambeet is now hated for the rest of Day 1.

I sure hope this is real.

Fake Edit: it’s not. Amnistar, you gotta go put an anonymous vote on Beet to do this.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

SalTheBard posted:

Thats fine. Sometimes town players get cuddled on Day 1.

I’d rather dunk the scum tbqh

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I would like to hear more from charms, AA, and Humalong please.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

charms posted:

Sorry for lurking, I can't keep up with the D1 mind games. Mr. Steak gave us something concrete, lie or not, but everyone's shut up about it at this point.

What do you think about that interaction between Lumpen and Steak? Do either look more towny or scummy to you following that exchange?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

SalTheBard posted:

Truthfully I feel like this is textbook town Steak. I find Lumpen just jumping on him a little out of character but I know (per this game) that he hates Jokephase so it doesn't shock me that he's moving us along into D1 kicking and screaming.

That’s the third time today you’ve jumped in and tried to answer a question someone didn’t ask you.

##vote Sal

Charms, let’s try again.

IllegallySober posted:

What do you think about that interaction between Lumpen and Steak? Do either look more towny or scummy to you following that exchange?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

charms posted:

I think Lumpen is trying to throw people off until one of them panics. It's annoying but it gives us info. I'm suspicious that Steak is lying about the extent of his power, but depending on what he's covering up it could be for town reasons. If he actually could double stack votes, that allows a double hammer - better not to reveal that until we know we can get at least one scum.

I would agree with your assessment of Lumpen’s style. I’m not sure I read Steak the same as you do right now. Steak has claimed essentially their entire role minus their own country. That would be a bold play to open the day as scum.

I see this appears to be your first game in Votefinder. Are you a rereg, or are you new?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

charms posted:

This is my first game of Mafia on SA, but I'm familiar with the game. I've played it online as a browser game with matchmaking where you knew the distribution of roles beforehand (forgot what it was called, it was a while ago).

Good to know. Welcome! :)

SalTheBard posted:

I just wanted to be part of the conversation :(

Yeah, but you’ve also been around long enough to know that letting people speak for themselves is a valuable part of this game.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Mr. Steak posted:

lets clear this up now.

##vote charms
##extravote 1 RF
##extravote1 charms
##extravote2 RF
##extravote2 charms

we will soon see firsthand if my votes can stack. if my 2 extravotes resolve on charms, we know i can stack. once they resolve on RF, it'll be confirmed that they cannot stack.

Lol, you need to stick around for a couple of days at least, just so Amnistar can continually rue giving you multivoting capability.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

votefinder posted:

The current deadline is January 25th, 2020 at 7:03 a.m. EST -- that's in about 2 days, 10 hours.

Can we please not have a deadline at 3 minutes past the hour?

(And preferably a deadline that isn’t at 4 AM Pacific??)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Amnistar posted:

I am a benevolent ruler.

:worship:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

hambeet posted:

Too disruptive for your scum chat?

Yeah, it really is.

(Realtalk: if I had a scumchat, I would not be posting nearly as much as I am in-thread. Nor would I have pointed that time discrepancy out.)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Actually, I take that back. I’m both pedantic enough and OCD enough that I would have pointed out the time discrepancy either way. But there’s no way I would have posted this much if I also had a scumchat.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Plus, the more I point things out for Amni to reply to, the better the odds that we cut this game in half D1 which probably isn’t optimal town strategy but would be absolutely hilarious.

Amnistar posted:

Yea sure. If you have less posts than me in a given day, you dead.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

hambeet posted:

xiw and aa less than votefinder.

Shameful.

Xiw at least said they would check in later, I think. AA didn’t provide an excuse. Pretty scummy...!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

hambeet posted:

for clarity, are you saying you currently feel steak's claim and proof of his power are more likely town than scum gambit?

That’s my read on it at this juncture, yes.

Given the willingness to demonstrate, my read is that there’s less scum motivation to divulge that info D1 than there is town motivation to. I’m having trouble seeing where giving up that info that readily as scum helps his wincon- but I guess we’ll see how it develops.

Do you feel differently?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

hambeet posted:

Hmm I think steak played it the only way you could play it, as either town or scum.

If you use that power without announcing it you'd rightly be jumped on, and that's independent of alignment. Scum who rolled that power would know it, town would too. So the best play is to come out with it for self preservation.

So I'm null on it atm, and just have to see how he uses it, cases, posts to make up my mind.

I guess it’s true that you have no reason to hide it at least on its base power?

If it were to upgrade to a straight tr-tr-triple vote, then you could wait and expose it to quickhammer someone, but that gives away the game pretty quick if you’re scum.

And with that, I’m out for a bit- it’s bowling league night.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Mr. Humalong posted:

If I don’t post much over the next 24 hours or so I’m not lurking, just my broke brain being more broke than usual and making me feel full :smith:

Will not vote today, take care of yourself 💚

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

CapitalistPig posted:

I have a good question for everyone. If you had a vig that you could use tonight who would you use it on?

(inb4 "you lol")

Tonight? As in after the dunk today? Entirely depends on who today’s dunk is.

As things stand right now if you told me I could eliminate one player right now? I don’t like or trust Sal chiming in to answer questions he wasn’t asked. So probably Sal.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Second choice- “you, lol”

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

CapitalistPig posted:

very interesting indeed.

secondary question also for everyone. If you could give anyone a vig who would you give it to if you couldn't give it to yourself.

I’d give one to charms. The new player should have some agency.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

xiw posted:

Yah this game started at random after I'd gone to bed on a worknight. I'll generally be okay with reading it during the day but that depends on work.

(To be clear, I wasn’t poking you as much as I was poking AA here.)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I don’t have as much time today to dedicate to the game, so keep that in mind when you see my post volume today compared to yesterday, but:

xiw posted:

I feel like claiming anything about your desired target or who you are does nothing but help scum narrow down their night kill choices. While it'd be nice to have free upgrades i honestly would rather not know which player my target is because it might confuse me when i'm looking for actual baddies.

At this juncture we don’t know enough about how the mechanics will play out to worry too much about who each player’s target is, IMO. Like you allude to, it’s not guaranteed (or really even functionally possible) for a player’s target to be someone of the opposing alignment- my desire is to hunt scum and if that leads to an upgrade in the process, so be it.

xiw posted:

Could be trying to reduce the chance of a roleblock or track though by proving they don't have a night ability, so they can do the NK. Scum could be in all kinds of odd positions here with a role madness random setup - could be tricky passing up an action to get a NK in. Not convinced though.

Something about this post I don’t like and I can’t quite place it. It might just be looking at these two posts back-to-back and seeing the focus on mechanics over reads. Who’s looking scummy, xiw?

Lumpen posted:

After sleeping in it and then re-reading, I have reassessed Mr. Steak and I feel that he’s likely to be Town. I think the exchange was a slapfight but a productive one.

Can you elaborate on what caused you to change your position by re-reading your exchange with Steak?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

xiw posted:

i like mechanics. They affect how scum will think, what scum's strategy will be, and who they'll push, and that's material to form hypotheses about when looking at people's posts.

I do too, but it’s also excuses NOT to look at people’s posts.

b-minus1 posted:

I need 5 people to vote me thx

Okay sure ##vote B-

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Okay, that got B- to give votes, going back to ##vote Sal now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

IllegallySober posted:

Okay, that got B- to five votes, going back to ##vote Sal now.

Mafia edit. Thanks, autocorrect.