Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Parsnips are really great when cut into thin spears and roasted as an accompaniment to a chicken.

You can also roast all of them together, I do this quite frequently. Cut into small cubes, roast with any other roots you like and mix with cous cous or bulgur wheat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I do parsnips, beets and carrots together in a sort of glazed side dish thing: Just put them in a saucepan, roughly cubed, cover them halfwayish with water and something sweet (I use maple syrup, but sugar or honey would probably work fine), butter, and some salt. Boil the water down, by the time it's all evaporated everything should be nicely cooked (If you watch it carefully you can brown it a bit as well, although it's easy to burn with the sugars).

I'd imagine turnip would work fine as well in that.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

C-Euro posted:

We forgot to cancel our farm box this week and now we have a bunch of parsnips, beets, and radishes that I'm not sure how to use? Any suggestions, especially ones where I can use multiple or all of them at once?

As everyone said, roast them up!

And the beet greens make excellent chips (oven baked or air fried) if you don't want to braise them.

Sometimes I buy beets just because the greens look good, not gonna lie

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Parsnips are also good mashed, with or without carrots, in any sort of traditional roast type situation.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I made some brownies last night using Cacao Barry cocoa for the first time. It was recommended by Serious Eats, it smells great, I was pretty excited. And don't get me wrong, the brownies are delicious. But also I'm not sure that I can really tell the difference between brownies made with that vs ones made with Rodelle vs generic store brand vs Ghirardelli vs Hershey's. It's hard to be sure without direct A/B testing, but do you guys find that you can tell the difference in your baked goods between brands? Are brownies not a good showcase for them? They're simple, but you'd think the cocoa would really shine through. Am I wasting my money buying fancy cocoa?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

guppy posted:

I made some brownies last night using Cacao Barry cocoa for the first time. It was recommended by Serious Eats, it smells great, I was pretty excited. And don't get me wrong, the brownies are delicious. But also I'm not sure that I can really tell the difference between brownies made with that vs ones made with Rodelle vs generic store brand vs Ghirardelli vs Hershey's. It's hard to be sure without direct A/B testing, but do you guys find that you can tell the difference in your baked goods between brands? Are brownies not a good showcase for them? They're simple, but you'd think the cocoa would really shine through. Am I wasting my money buying fancy cocoa?

If you’re telling yourself they don’t taste that different, they won’t?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

guppy posted:

Tasting the notes of things is a skill you can develop-- you too can be a chocolate sommelier! (Unless you've had covid and lost your taste/smell for a while.)

Look at the reviews and descriptions. Can you get any of the tasting/smelling notes out of your two cocoa powders? I suggest hot cocoa as a taste test over brownies, but you can't go wrong with a pan of brownies, either.

For example, the Penzeys Natural Cocoa I have has a deep roasty flavory. I like it better than the fruit-heavy notes of my King Arthur Natural Cocoa for baked goods, and the KA stuff for fruit-based stuff.

For a while, I would buy Ghirardelli Natural Cocoa Powder as it was the fanciest stuff my grocery store carried. I really couldn't tell much of a difference between it and Hershey's Special Dark Coca Powder, and in fact liked the Hershey's better. Turns out the key to liking fancier cocoa powders was to order on-line: Ghirardelli Natural Cocoa seems to have hardly any flavor at all compared to the big brands reviewed in places like Serious Eats.

And then there's my favorite awful cocoa powder, SaCo Pantry. You might find this one at your grocer's-- Homeland carries it where I am.
The kind I'm talking about here is half dutched/half natural. I suggest you pick up a container-- it's fairly reasonable in price. Not because it's good, mind you-- it turns all my baked goods into dry bitter messes. What is shines at is providing a DEEP and bitter chocolate taste to my morning breakfast oats/yogurt to balance out the sweetness. You should DEFINITELY notice a difference between this cocoa powder and ANY other cocoa powder. Deciphering what you like/don't like between this and the others will give you a jumping off point. If you still can't notice a difference, enjoy using whatever cocoa powder you can get for cheap!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

WhiteHowler posted:

Now we're talking! I'll give this a try too. We do have a few Asian markets around here, but I'm in the deep South U.S. and nobody's taking pandemic precautions seriously at all, so I'm doing everything via mail order or delivery right now.

Thanks goons! I'll report back.
As promised...

I followed goon suggestions and added Golden Mountain seasoning sauce and MSG to my fried rice recipe, and it definitely made a big difference. It's not quite the same flavor as the hibachi places around here, but it's much closer and tastes incredible!

Other things I did -- started the scrambled egg right at the beginning and just let it cook the entire time. It didn't get rubbery and added a bit more flavor. I also went heavier on the black pepper.

Thanks for all of the recommendations! I think I've found my new fried rice technique.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Welp now I need to try this golden mountain sauce

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

:same:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Steve Yun posted:

Within seconds of pouring it in, I got flashbacks to every Chinese restaurant I've ever been in.

Here's what I did for the fried rice -- I don't actually measure most of it very closely, but this is a rough estimate:

2 Eggs (large)
3 tbsp Butter (salted)
3 cups White Rice (cooked; day-old or allow to steam-dry)
1 tbsp Sesame Oil
3 tbsp Golden Mountain seasoning sauce
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
1/2 Chicken Breast (cooked, large)
1 healthy pinch MSG
Black Pepper (more than you think you need)
1/2 cup Green Onions (chopped)

** I don't care for peas and carrots in my fried rice, but feel free to add them if that's your thing. **

Add 1 tbsp butter to pan over medium-high heat.

Scramble eggs with a dash of black pepper. Pour into pan, continually folding over as it cooks. Chop cooked egg up with a spatula.

Toss in the rest of the butter, dump in the rice, and sprinkle the sesame oil over everything. Use a spatula to combine -- you want to break up clumps and get the rice well-coated with butter and oil.

Add the Golden Mountain, soy sauce, and chicken (or other meat of choice -- I usually pre-cook my meat for fried rice). Sprinkle MSG over everything, along with another healthy dose of black pepper.

Use a large spatula to mix everything, keeping it all moving constantly for several minutes. I never set a timer; watch the texture of the rice until it starts to firm up just a bit.

Add the green onions and stir, cooking just long enough that they barely start to wilt.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I like to cube up some spam and fry it crispy for egg fried rice. So good

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Same but my grocery store has been regularly sold out of spam for over six months.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Same but my grocery store has been regularly sold out of spam for over six months.

I don't remember spam being particularly expensive or anyone really caring about it, but I was craving it recently and realized that it got expensive and popular? Not sure how that one happened.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

I don't remember spam being particularly expensive or anyone really caring about it, but I was craving it recently and realized that it got expensive and popular? Not sure how that one happened.

Pandemic hoarding.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It's specifically spam though. Other cured canned meats stay in stock. At this point even the low sodium and spam lite variants are gone whenever I look.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

spankmeister posted:

Pandemic hoarding.

This plus:

• Pork supply has dropped internationally because of viral outbreaks and that's on top of culls that happened in 2020 because of processing plant closures.
  • A lot of people have suddenly taken an interest in long term storage foods, especially meats.
  • Any time there's a massive economic downturn, foods commonly associated with poverty experience a demand spike.
  • A surge in demand for canned food back in March of 2020 lead to some weird supply chain disruptions because a lot of commercial canning is done in cyclical batches and ramping up anything causes downstream disruptions for a significant amount of time.
  • Some people radically changed their dietary habits because they changed their shopping habits to avoid anything that couldn't be delivered or couldn't be disinfected, so some people are using canned meats in lieu of fresh meats voluntarily.
  • Spam is a recognized name brand and people buying unfamiliar food products gravitate towards those.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Stay away from spam, they really really gently caress their workers over with regard for brain damage cause by auto immune responses to working in a brain-tissue rich environment.

Pig brain and human brain are really similar! And dealing with aerosolized one is like the other and spam corpo don't care about what they are doing

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Could this be why my cookies spread a lot compared to the pictures in the recipes?

It could be, I'm not a doctor. It's just important to use what the recipe specifies. Eggs are categorized by mass, but I don't think you could replace them just by mass in case they have different amounts of yolk and white.

xtal fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 8, 2021

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Pookah posted:

Stay away from spam, they really really gently caress their workers over with regard for brain damage cause by auto immune responses to working in a brain-tissue rich environment.

Pig brain and human brain are really similar! And dealing with aerosolized one is like the other and spam corpo don't care about what they are doing

I haven’t eaten Spam in probably 40 years, and never will again thanks to you saying ‘aerosolised brains’.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I've been holding onto two cans of spam lite and some sushinori for when I want some musubi.

I check every time I shop for groceries and it's always an empty shelf.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Torquemada posted:

I haven’t eaten Spam in probably 40 years, and never will again thanks to you saying ‘aerosolised brains’.

SPAM is just a particularly hard to work with section of pork shoulder that they machine off and press into a loaf. And if you take issue with ‘aerosolised brains’ then I've got bad news about the meat packing industry in general.

Big Buteo
Dec 27, 2017

what?
I made a milk bar pie over the weekend and, while I see how it could be good, it was just too much to enjoy more than a tiny sliver at a time. I feel like an absolutely bitchin' oatmeal cookie could accomplish 90% of whatever that pie is trying to do, but I've only ever made the kind on the Quaker Oats canister. Anyone have a favorite recipe before I try the first brown butter oatmeal cookie recipe that pops up?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pookah posted:

That sounds like a bunch of hogwash tbh.

I mean, not about them mistreating their workers but that is industry wide probably and not specific for spam.

In any case I can't get spam branded spam so I have store brand and other brand "luncheon meat"

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Big Buteo posted:

I made a milk bar pie over the weekend and, while I see how it could be good, it was just too much to enjoy more than a tiny sliver at a time. I feel like an absolutely bitchin' oatmeal cookie could accomplish 90% of whatever that pie is trying to do, but I've only ever made the kind on the Quaker Oats canister. Anyone have a favorite recipe before I try the first brown butter oatmeal cookie recipe that pops up?

Milk bar is the second most overrated food I’ve ever had in my life. We bought the whole menu after watching chefs table or whatever and it was the most overly sweet, basic rear end desserts I can recall eating

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

Milk bar is the second most overrated food I’ve ever had in my life. We bought the whole menu after watching chefs table or whatever and it was the most overly sweet, basic rear end desserts I can recall eating
What's #1 out of curiosity?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I've been holding onto two cans of spam lite and some sushinori for when I want some musubi.

I check every time I shop for groceries and it's always an empty shelf.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

mystes posted:

What's #1 out of curiosity?

The man behind the curtain. Just atrocious style over substance cooking. Biggest dining disappointment of my life!

Going back to the original posters point though, who do people like for baked goods? Is there any sites like serious rats but only for baking ? I’ve tried a couple of sweet things off serious eats and always been crazy disappointed.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

The man behind the curtain. Just atrocious style over substance cooking. Biggest dining disappointment of my life!

Going back to the original posters point though, who do people like for baked goods? Is there any sites like serious rats but only for baking ? I’ve tried a couple of sweet things off serious eats and always been crazy disappointed.

I like Joy of Baking and Smitten Kitchen for sites. I also have a pile of random church cookbooks cuz while the midwest can't season savory things to save themselves, church bake sales are usually pretty fuckin dope. Joy of Cooking is also good for baking.

Edit: I've had a lot of good luck w/ Martha Stewart and Ina Garten's stuff too.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

What the heck is going on here ?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Were people stealing spam for some reason?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

I like Joy of Baking and Smitten Kitchen for sites. I also have a pile of random church cookbooks cuz while the midwest can't season savory things to save themselves, church bake sales are usually pretty fuckin dope. Joy of Cooking is also good for baking.

Edit: I've had a lot of good luck w/ Martha Stewart and Ina Garten's stuff too.

Awesome. I think I’m going to do the Martha Stewart blondies someone posted a little earlier. And the Gordon Ramsay one. But it would be nice to have some interesting folk to follow and gawk at. Cedric grolet is unbelievable but that French classic stuff is well beyond my ability.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

spankmeister posted:

Honolulu WalMart apparently.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Someone told me in Korea spam is a crazy good gift. Like if you have a successful business arrangement they might send you a spam hamper. Also spam hamper sounds like a gross euphemism.

Maybe there’s loads of korean folk having good luck.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Bape Culture posted:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes

King Arthur has ridiculously good recipes that always work.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bape Culture posted:

Someone told me in Korea spam is a crazy good gift. Like if you have a successful business arrangement they might send you a spam hamper. Also spam hamper sounds like a gross euphemism.

Maybe there’s loads of korean folk having good luck.

It's a Chuseok thing primarily.

You see these deluxe Spam gift sets around that time of year.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

fizzymercy posted:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes

King Arthur has ridiculously good recipes that always work.

I've only made savory bread stuff from KA but I have no reason to believe their sweet stuff isn't equally delicious and straightforward, so yeah agreed. I really appreciate, among other things, that their recipes are clear, concise, and provide weights AND volume measurements. Wish other sites could lay out poo poo as cleanly as KA.

Actually, that feels like a good question: What are your favorite sites for good recipe layouts? Mine are KA (obviously), Serious Eats, and Budget Bytes. I really like that even though Budget Bytes has the traditional "have to scroll through a lot of text to find the recipe" blog-type layout, it's at least full of relevant information instead of a story I'm not interested in reading.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
King Arthur is usually a good place to start and I love them, but they are not always reliable. Their snickerdoodle recipe in particular is just nonsense, doesn't produce anything close to what it should be. (You want the America's Test Kitchen recipe, which is perfect.) KA also offers the Baker's Hotline, an amazing service where you can call a phone number and talk to a professionally trained baker to ask questions, for free.

I have had really good luck with Ina Garten's baked goods (I like her Cranberry Orange Scones and Lemon Cake in particular) and have recently had a run of success with Sally's Baking Addiction.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

guppy posted:

King Arthur is usually a good place to start and I love them, but they are not always reliable. Their snickerdoodle recipe in particular is just nonsense, doesn't produce anything close to what it should be. (You want the America's Test Kitchen recipe, which is perfect.)
Just curious, what's the actual complaint? I'm guessing it's that you want a chewy cookie and the KA recipe is crisp. But since the snickerdoodle is over a century old and exists in countless variations there's no way of knowing which One True Snickerdoodle you're faulting KA's recipe for failing to be.

But if you prefer chewy cookies then, yeah, ATK recipes are probably what you want. Their The Perfect Cookie is pretty good if you're specifically looking for cookie recipes, although they skew somewhat toward fiddly/fussy versions of things. So I like their oatmeal cookie recipe reasonably well, and am willing to kinda squint and justify e.g. browning butter (which most recipes don't bother with) for the modest difference in the final product. But they have a couple sugar cookie recipes that are super fiddly and (to my taste) not as satisfying as a sugar cookie than e.g. the much simpler KA basic sugar cookie recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

SubG posted:

Just curious, what's the actual complaint? I'm guessing it's that you want a chewy cookie and the KA recipe is crisp. But since the snickerdoodle is over a century old and exists in countless variations there's no way of knowing which One True Snickerdoodle you're faulting KA's recipe for failing to be.

But if you prefer chewy cookies then, yeah, ATK recipes are probably what you want. Their The Perfect Cookie is pretty good if you're specifically looking for cookie recipes, although they skew somewhat toward fiddly/fussy versions of things. So I like their oatmeal cookie recipe reasonably well, and am willing to kinda squint and justify e.g. browning butter (which most recipes don't bother with) for the modest difference in the final product. But they have a couple sugar cookie recipes that are super fiddly and (to my taste) not as satisfying as a sugar cookie than e.g. the much simpler KA basic sugar cookie recipe.

So it looks like the versions on the website are different from the version in the Baker's Companion book, which is the one I tried. The Baker's Companion recipe is completely insane and calls for lemon. The flavor is nothing like a snickerdoodle. My book is downstairs where my kid is sleeping at the moment so I can't check the rest of it right now.

In general, I agree that ATK recipes are fussy and often for minimal gain, and I've read that this is actually on purpose so that they will look like they have extra wisdom to impart. The snickerdoodle recipe is straightforward, though.