Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Grand Fromage posted:

I lived way south in Ulsan and her food all tastes wrong to me too. I just don't think she's good at it. Never been to Yeosu though.

If I didn't know she was from Korea, just from her recipes, I would assume she had never been to Korea and was trying to re-create Korean food from pictures and incomplete information. It's like when someone I know got a baked potato in Korea and the cook, not knowing what sour cream was but having seen a picture of a baked potato before, put a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the middle.

:rip:

I think this is the thing for me, too. Her recipes are just not right. I can't say they are bad, since I made one a while back (I forget which) and it was fine, but it wasn't what I would get at a traditional Korean restaurant (in the states/LA/PDX). But I do like her attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I've never made anything of Maangchi's but she could cook dirt and I'd still watch it, she's just really enjoyable.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Grand Fromage posted:

It's like when someone I know got a baked potato in Korea and the cook, not knowing what sour cream was but having seen a picture of a baked potato before, put a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the middle.

Beautiful.

Was it good?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Bruceski posted:

I don't usually use horseradish sauce. If even that small amount's overwhelming is there a way to take the edge off or should I just write it off as out of my league? I'm not going to throw it out without experimenting on a few meals where it won't ruin the whole dish, but I figure I may as well ask.

Horseradish mashed potatoes go very well with roast beef or steak, and you can dilute the pungency to taste.

I found this link about using up a bottle of horseradish (it seems specifically tailored to your situation) - https://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/horseradish-recipes

The deviled eggs (omit the bacon) look good, as does the slaw.

Horseradish is used in some eastern European cream soups.

The stuff lasts forever really,

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Can anyone recommend an online grocery in the US for ordering condiments like Chinese black vinegar and hot chile-crisp? They're available from Amazon but I've had problems ordering food items from there.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

McCracAttack posted:

Can anyone recommend an online grocery in the US for ordering condiments like Chinese black vinegar and hot chile-crisp? They're available from Amazon but I've had problems ordering food items from there.
I've never used it, but The Mala Market is a popular one. But if you know anyone who lives near a Chinese grocery store I'd just have them buy stuff and ship it to you. You could pay them a ton of extra money and it would still be cheaper than The Mala Market.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I've never used it, but The Mala Market is a popular one. But if you know anyone who lives near a Chinese grocery store I'd just have them buy stuff and ship it to you. You could pay them a ton of extra money and it would still be cheaper than The Mala Market.

lol

Ain't that just the way? Still, this seems like what I was after so I'll just keep an eye on it. Thanks.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I'm not sure if it is just because of Brian David Gilbert and Chinese Cooking Demystified or if there's an upstream cause, but it seems like the entire planet is horny for Lao Gan Ma right now.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

If rubes like me are hearing about it then it's definitely having a "moment".

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Wow, imagine actually knowing the name of that and not just calling it "angry lady"

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Scientastic posted:

Wow, imagine actually knowing the name of that and not just calling it "angry lady"
I remember having to shop for the jars by the photo because I didn't understand just asking nicely for chili crisp at the H-Mart all the way back in the dark ages of 2011.

I'm glad things are different but I'd like it if people stopped buying all the chili crisp.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It's actually just my mother who's buying it all.

She buys 3 of the giant 800g jars of chili crisp at a time, gets antsy if they only have the normal sized jars because 'they run out so fast'.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Pookah posted:

It's actually just my mother who's buying it all.

She buys 3 of the giant 800g jars of chili crisp at a time, gets antsy if they only have the normal sized jars because 'they run out so fast'.

Your mom is cool and good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have been ordering peppercorns and the ground chilis for making my own chili oil from Mala market and they seem to have good quality stuff but I wouldn't rely on them for everything.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mala Market is great but only buy stuff there you can't get elsewhere/they have better quality of, like baoning vinegar or their chilies or huajiao or whatever. Something like laoganma or yibin yacai is the same everywhere but Mala Market charges way higher prices.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Corla Plankun posted:

I'm not sure if it is just because of Brian David Gilbert and Chinese Cooking Demystified or if there's an upstream cause, but it seems like the entire planet is horny for Lao Gan Ma right now.

can confirm that BDG got my spouse into laoganma, we'd had it before but I never cooked enough specific regional Chinese food to justify getting a jar and then pepcorn came along

now pepcorn is one of the few foods my mom can taste six months on from covid

laoganma good

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I have an old family recipe that calls for flour-dredging and then sautéing chicken, and then using that pan (and all of the oil, flour, and flavor) as the starter for a sauce. After that, the recipe is basically to fry up some ginger and garlic in that same pan, add honey, and then other sauce mix stuff (which includes a bit of corn starch.)

My wife has been vegetarian for years, and I'm now mostly-vegetarian, and practically all vegetarian in my cooking. The first time we made this recipe, I felt sauce definitely wasn't as flavorful. Any suggestions on how to get back some of the flavor and texture that comes from the frying process?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You could try experimenting with Better than Bouillon "no chicken"

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Also, in your vegetarian version did you brown the flour? You should basically make a brown roux yeah?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Maybe fry up some mushrooms? That's adding more texture, but should also add a decent amount of flavor.

Also kind of a weird experimental suggestion, but a while ago I experimented with adding ground freshly roasted sunflower seeds to sauces. My mom would make meatballs when I was growing up and she'd fry them in a pan with oil then cook them in some tomato sauce. I thought the seeds added a bit of that meaty/bready/fried flavor the meatballs had. I just toasted a couple tablespoons or 1/4 cup or something like that of raw sunflower seeds in a pan until they were a tan color and aromatic, ground them in a mortar & pestle, then added it to my sauce.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Just go straight to the source and add a pinch of MSG :v:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
What spices should I add to my ground beef for a spicy burger?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Finely chopped fresh chillies

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mycroft Holmes posted:

What spices should I add to my ground beef for a spicy burger?

It depends? If you just want it hot, add chillis like the guy said. However, all chillis are not created equal, make sure you get something the right heat for you. If you want layers of heat, add a bunch of fresh black pepper and fresh minced garlic too. You can also add pepper sauce to ketchup, or something like sriracha to mayo depending on how you feel about sauces on your burger. Really peppy mustard might also be a good bet, or fresh horseradish or wasabi.

If you want something reminiscent of a particular country’s cooking, there’s nothing to stop you going crazy and making something like a lamb burger with ras el hanout and roasted apricots or a wagyu burger with togarishi and shredded daikon.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Harissa paste would be a fantastic addition, especially if you plan on grilling the burger over charcoal.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Pull a Sohla and be non-white while making plain Jane (delicious) traditional burgers and then when people demand to know what ethnic spices you added to give it that extra zing, just make something up.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

Pull a Sohla and be non-white while making plain Jane (delicious) traditional burgers and then when people demand to know what ethnic spices you added to give it that extra zing, just make something up.

:lol: I forgot that was a thing that happened

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Casu Marzu posted:

Just go straight to the source and add a pinch of MSG :v:

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Happiness Commando posted:

Just omit spices from whatever you're cooking and call it [whatever]-English fusion.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Scientastic posted:

Finely chopped fresh chillies

This, or a little 4oz can of diced Hatch green chilies mixed in with the meat (or spooned on top of the finished burger if you're feeling lazy).

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I can speak for veggie burgers but yeah when I make them from scratch I love to mix in some mushroom powder, some diced chilis (whatever I have on hand but I'm really fond of serranos for this) and if I have fresh horseradish a good portion of that, freshly grated.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Casu Marzu posted:

Edit: Also :lol: at NYT calling her YouTube's Korean Julia Child

Real strong "guacamole recipe with peas in it" energy there.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

sean10mm posted:

Real strong "guacamole recipe with peas in it" energy there.

:barf:

Is the NYT food section designed to piss you off to drive up engagement, or are they truly incompetent?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Lester Shy posted:

:barf:

Is the NYT food section designed to piss you off to drive up engagement, or are they truly incompetent?

¿Porque no los dos?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mods, please change my name to The Champignon.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bruceski posted:

Instead of getting a way too large amount of horseradish root for my Passover seder tonight, I picked up a small jar of horseradish sauce as a "close enough" substitute. Thing is, the only option without corn syrup (no corn on Passover) was extra hot, and even a small amount (about the size of a large pea) went straight to my sinuses and... well, really not fun. Definitely caught me off guard, I don't have an issue with the basic root in other years, wasn't expecting something so concentrated and intense.

I don't usually use horseradish sauce. If even that small amount's overwhelming is there a way to take the edge off or should I just write it off as out of my league? I'm not going to throw it out without experimenting on a few meals where it won't ruin the whole dish, but I figure I may as well ask.

Update: Mixed it about 1:2 with yoghurt and that worked. Still has some kick on the backend but that's something I can expect and deal with.

It's interesting, I grew up with hot food in New Mexico and while I don't like stuff too hot (mainly because in store salsas and such heat is usually used as a replacement for flavor) I can usually manage it enough to say "I prefer otherwise". This was the first time something intended to be eaten (ie not "sign a waiver" hot wings fpr testosterone demonstration purposes) completely laid me out like that.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Bruceski posted:

Update: Mixed it about 1:2 with yoghurt and that worked. Still has some kick on the backend but that's something I can expect and deal with.

It's interesting, I grew up with hot food in New Mexico and while I don't like stuff too hot (mainly because in store salsas and such heat is usually used as a replacement for flavor) I can usually manage it enough to say "I prefer otherwise". This was the first time something intended to be eaten (ie not "sign a waiver" hot wings fpr testosterone demonstration purposes) completely laid me out like that.

I enjoy punishingly spicy foods, but horseradish is a different beast.

When I had COVID, the first thing I tried that I could taste was wasabi paste and I made the mistake of eating too much of it as a result. Lesson learned.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
iirc stuff like wasabi and horseradish are spicy in a different way than the traditional capsaicin pepper way

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Not sure what it is but yeah, horseradish, wasabi and mustard have the same kind of spiciness. I've always experienced it as a quick, sharp top note, goes straight to the back of the sinuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yes, horseradish, mustard and wasabi are spicy because of a chemical that is extremely volatile, so it affects you differently to capsaicin, which is fat soluble. Not only do you get a different sensation of heat, but the horseradish feeling comes and goes very quickly, whereas the chilli heat builds up additively.

There’s a neat little explainer here:
https://justenoughheat.com/education/behind-the-burn/