Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cool, thanks for all the advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Eeyo posted:

Not sure what a chicken roll is, is it like a pastry with a cut of chicken inside? Calzone-like?

I've never really had much trouble with re-heating a calzone in my oven, in my experience it all gets up to temp before burning. Maybe a toaster oven is a little harsher on the outside, but an oven-like setting is a good option.
Wrapping in foil and then just leaving it in the toaster oven ended up working for me.
Also a chicken roll (at least where I live) is a sandwichy/ pastry type thing made of pizza dough with tomato sauce, cheese and chicken cutlets. This is a good picture
https://www.google.com/search?q=piz...=t2Rf2q-hO9h9xM
They're delicious, if you're ever in a NYC style pizzeria I highly recommend them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can anyone point to a legit Louisiana potato salad recipe

I swear Cajun food purity is almost as strict as YouTube Italian chefs

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I was given a small container of umeboshi, and other than putting them in tequila as a salty chaser, I'm at a loss on what to do with them.

Any suggestions?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Annath posted:

I was given a small container of umeboshi, and other than putting them in tequila as a salty chaser, I'm at a loss on what to do with them.

Any suggestions?

The most iconic use of umeboshi in Japanese cooking would just be with rice.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

This is a really dumb question and I apologize in advance for that and the fact its only loosely related to actual cooking

But why in the gently caress does a frozen pizzas cheese never melt together but goddamned if the crust aint a crispy critter?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

life is killing me posted:

This is a really dumb question and I apologize in advance for that and the fact its only loosely related to actual cooking

But why in the gently caress does a frozen pizzas cheese never melt together but goddamned if the crust aint a crispy critter?

I don't know for sure, but if I had to guess, it would be the same kind of anti-caking crud they put in preshredded cheese - it tends to keep it from getting really melty.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Doesnt cheese freeze funny? I wonder if theres some special stuff in freezer pizza cheese to make sure it still looks like cheese when you take it out to bake it. Bc Ill freely admit I buy shredded mozzarella for my homemade pizzas, and it still melts fine.

This is a pretty narrow ask, but are there any suggestions for grilling that fulfill these categories:

No beef/pork (chicken/fish/seafood ok) (veggies are also fine)
Leftovers last for a bit and taste ok
Appropriate for babys first grilling experience

I have one of those egg-style charcoal grills wasting away in the garage and one of my jerk neighbors keeps grilling delicious poo poo that I can smell on my runs, makes me want to use it.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

enki42 posted:

I don't know for sure, but if I had to guess, it would be the same kind of anti-caking crud they put in preshredded cheese - it tends to keep it from getting really melty.

Yup, the ingredients on the frozen pizzas I can find use cellulose for this.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds about right. I prefer making our own but sometimes when the kids run us ragged its frozen pizza for dinner time because gently caress it. I even broil the DiGiorno after and still

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Hawkperson posted:

This is a pretty narrow ask, but are there any suggestions for grilling that fulfill these categories:

Appropriate for baby’s first grilling experience

I have one of those egg-style charcoal grills wasting away in the garage and one of my jerk neighbors keeps grilling delicious poo poo that I can smell on my runs, makes me want to use it.

Smoked wings are easy and very good, and only take a few hours (very short for a smoke.)

There is a smoking/grilling thread that can give you some more specific tips, but just dry brine them in the fridge for the day, then smoke in the mid 250s- low 300s for a bit. Crank up the heat toward the end to crisp the skin, and either baste or toss in sauce.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hawkperson posted:

Doesnt cheese freeze funny? I wonder if theres some special stuff in freezer pizza cheese to make sure it still looks like cheese when you take it out to bake it. Bc Ill freely admit I buy shredded mozzarella for my homemade pizzas, and it still melts fine.

If you have a food processor, make these veggies:
https://www.loveandlemons.com/grilled-veggies-romesco-sauce/

but use this version of the romesco instead:
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/romesco-sauce

Since you'll have a variety of veggies, it'll look impressive even though there's absolutely no marinade or basting needed. Just watch out for that bread burning!

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Has anyone in the thread tried the Bread Bible's english muffin recipe? I just finished it and while I like the taste of the finished product they didn't seem to rise as much as the author said they should and they have a much tighter crumb than I'd want from an english muffin. A quick google search shows some blogs where folks had similar results.

I'm trying to figure out if this recipe is just more miss than hit or if my own mediocre baking skills are to blame (I did possibly overproof mine when I forgot about the dough sitting out in a warm kitchen and went to go run some errands).

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

captkirk posted:

Has anyone in the thread tried the Bread Bible's english muffin recipe? I just finished it and while I like the taste of the finished product they didn't seem to rise as much as the author said they should and they have a much tighter crumb than I'd want from an english muffin. A quick google search shows some blogs where folks had similar results.

I'm trying to figure out if this recipe is just more miss than hit or if my own mediocre baking skills are to blame (I did possibly overproof mine when I forgot about the dough sitting out in a warm kitchen and went to go run some errands).

Dead yeast?

e: nm you said you proofed it

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 17, 2021

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hawkperson posted:

I do grilled boneless skinless chicken breast at least 2X/week when it's warm enough outside. Take chicken breast and slice it in half horizontally or pound it down to be about 1/4th an inch thick (I usually end up doing both, chicken breast are gigantic these days). Edit: Don't skip this step or else you'll end up with a breast that's burnt on the outside and raw in the middle.

Marinate for 1-4 hours. Grill over medium heat for 4-5 minutes per side or until 155-165 internal.

Your marinade can be as simple or complex as you like. I've been liking the Serious Eats steak fajita marinade recently. I cut it in half, which is more than enough for my purposes.

quote:

1/2 cup (120ml) soy sauce
1/2 cup (120ml) lime juice, from 6 to 8 limes
1/2 cup (120ml) canola oil
1/4 cup (55g) packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cumin seed
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder (see note)
3 medium cloves garlic, finely minced (about 1 tablespoon)

Make chicken sandwiches, slice into thin strips for fajitas, cube it up for salads, the possibilities are endless.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 17, 2021

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hawkperson posted:

Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. Marinade in some herbs and lemon juice, wait until your coals are quite cool, put on skin side down for about ten minutes, flip, cook for five minutes, keep flipping until done. It takes a bit of practice to get the coals right and avoid burning them, but its worth it.

Shrimp kebabs. Marinade in lime juice and garlic, soak skewers in water, put as many shrimp on the skewer as you can, grill for a minute a side.

Asparagus. Snap your asparagus to make sure you get rid of the woody bits. Lay at the edge of the coals with the stalk towards the centre, so the tips are at the coldest part. Turn occasionally. Serve with hollandaise if you can be bothered to make it.

Big mushrooms. Make a compound butter with garlic and parsley. Put mushrooms on the coldest part of the grill, bell down. Put a big spoonful on compound butter on the gills. Leave until the butter has all melted.

Bell peppers. Quarter some bell peppers, remove the core and seeds. Put on the barbecue and leave to get charred.

The biggest challenge with barbecuing is temperature management. Knowing what to cook when its really hot (steaks, peppers), warm (vegetables, shrimp) and comparatively cool (chicken) comes with practice.

And dont buy a gas grill, thats cheating. Start your fire with twigs and kindling, gradually building it up to coals over time and make sure you light it all a couple of hours before you want to use it. The time you take is part of the fun, and anything else is just cooking outside, not barbecuing/grilling.

Edit: cant believe I forgot halloumi

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 17, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Scientastic posted:

And dont buy a gas grill, thats cheating. Start your fire with twigs and kindling, gradually building it up to coals over time and make sure you light it all a couple of hours before you want to use it. The time you take is part of the fun, and anything else is just cooking outside, not barbecuing/grilling.

Couldn't you just use a chimney starter with a big egg? (I don't have one, just a basic Weber). I agree that you get better results and more of an experience with charcoal, but a couple of hours to start from a pile of kindling seems a bit excessive when you don't really introduce anything artificial or lose anything by just using a chimney.

OP, they're basically just a metal tube with 2 sections - paper goes into one and coals into the other - you light the paper and it channels all the heat to the coals so they light up faster (faster is a relative term here - you still need a solid half hour to get things heated before cooking).

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

enki42 posted:

you don't really introduce anything artificial or lose anything by just using a chimney.

You lose the experience

I'm only half serious, if someone wants to use other ways to make their fire, I don't care, I just really like doing it with kindling/twigs and having a beer outside while I build the fire

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Hawkperson posted:

Grilled lettuce is really good. Halve baby gem lettuce/bok choy, leave the bottom to hold the leaves together. Brush with oil, salt and pepper. Grill, eat.

We did a warm salad with it recently, a super tasty lunch. Ingredients were:

Grilled baby gem
Grilled asparagus
Grilled halloumi

Mixed up with some sundried tomato slices, cashews, lemon juice and salt & pepper.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

life is killing me posted:

Dead yeast?

e: nm you said you proofed it

Yeah, yeast was fine. The bulk rise and everything was fine but it seemed like the oven spring (skillet spring I guess) was lack luster.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Grilled corn is great not sure how it'd do for babby but you can always cut it off the cob and pulse it in a food processor.

I have a small charcoal egg too. I start the coals by removing the ash catcher pan putting a ball of paper in the bottom piling the hardwood charcoal on top and lighting it up.
The shape of the egg acts as it's own chimney starter. When it gets going good pop the bottom cover back on and set up the vents.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

captkirk posted:

The most iconic use of umeboshi in Japanese cooking would just be with rice.

Do I dice it up and cook it in/with the rice, or just serve it as is with the rice?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

captkirk posted:

Yeah, yeast was fine. The bulk rise and everything was fine but it seemed like the oven spring (skillet spring I guess) was lack luster.

I dont know man. Good yeast should have made plenty of CO2 with something to eat

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

What should I cook for an Italian coming for dinner?

I have an Italian friend / colleague coming round next week for dinner and some business talk. I am a pretty decent cook and can rustle up some great pastas and make drat tasty pizzas in the oven with homemade dough, and a fantastic lasagne but it all seems a bit cliched.

Any recommendations for a couple of courses that an Italian is going to throughly enjoy? I mean I dont HAVE to make Italian food for him but it would be nice to do something hed recognise as a good effort at cuisine from the motherland.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

What should I cook for an Italian coming for dinner?

I have an Italian friend / colleague coming round next week for dinner and some business talk. I am a pretty decent cook and can rustle up some great pastas and make drat tasty pizzas in the oven with homemade dough, and a fantastic lasagne but it all seems a bit cliched.

Any recommendations for a couple of courses that an Italian is going to throughly enjoy? I mean I dont HAVE to make Italian food for him but it would be nice to do something hed recognise as a good effort at cuisine from the motherland.

IMO make anything except Italian unless your friend is exiled from ever returning to Italy and isn't allowed contact with Italian people or Italian food and is desperately missing home and his nonna's puttanesca.

Do you make a mean red curry or souvlaki or coq au vin or literally anything that isn't Italian? Do that.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Agreed, think about if you were visiting someone in a different country and they served you hamburgers. Half of the fun of being somewhere else is experiencing different things, the last thing anyone wants is to do whatever they normally do. Doubly so for italians and food (because no matter how authentic you think you're being, you're not).

enki42 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 18, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Alternatively, serve him an Olive Garden curbside order.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Casu Marzu posted:

IMO make anything except Italian unless your friend is exiled from ever returning to Italy and isn't allowed contact with Italian people or Italian food and is desperately missing home and his nonna's puttanesca.

Do you make a mean red curry or souvlaki or coq au vin or literally anything that isn't Italian? Do that.

We are both exiled from our respective motherlands in Ireland.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Thirding not to cook Italian, since your very best effort will just be a novelty to him (a foreigner cooked the food of my people without screwing it up, woo).

Buy ingredients that will really shine and cook them simply, is my advice: if you can get fresh fish where you are, buy that, good fish will please most people. If youre in a hunting area or dont have access to good fish, buy game.

Let the ingredients speak for themselves. Good meat or fish requires very little in the way of adornment: a fancy compound butter or whatever. Buy really good vegetables or salad. Buy really good fruit for dessert.

Dont cook anything that requires lots of your attention while hes there, either. Having to ignore him for thirty minutes while you make souffl to order is going to annoy you both.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
save the pasta for the second date imo

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

At an old job we used to have guys from Singapore come over a ton and one of them told me privately that people only ever took them to Malaysian restaurants.

I made it my mission to take them to nothing but things I doubt they have in Singapore. Giant cheeseburgers, barbecue, the Philly cheesesteak place that flies in Amoroso rolls, taquerias, etc.

They loved it. Think about if you flew somewhere and they offered you weak interpretations of smoked brisket and hamburgers instead of what they do great.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
It would be pretty cliched to serve Italian food to Italians because they're Italian and it's also cliched to not serve Italian food to Italians because you're worried it won't be Italian enough. Make whatever you're best at and won't keep you in the kitchen for ages, which is my usual mistake. With this in mind last dinner party I cooked a shitload of meze which was a lot of stress for the few hours prior to people arriving but once they were here the only work I had to do was frying some shrimp and sweetcorn fritters and cooking pitas, and I was much happier at the end of the evening for it. Frontload your stress is my point.

As a Brit, if I went to someone's place and they cooked me a banging roast dinner because it's what they're good at, I'd be perfectly happy. If they were obviously doing it for the first time just for my sake, along with only serving English beer and cups of tea, I'd be a little bemused. Don't overthink it basically, play to your strengths.

Also is this person Italian Italian or 'Italian' in the American sense that their great granddad liked to drink grappa and once stopped in Venice on a cruise

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 18, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Don't gatekeep italianity. It's uncouth.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

If a tex-mex recipe calls for chile powder (not chili powder) which of these would be most correct?

Or is there really something that's just called "chile powder" in the spice isle and my eyes just keep glossing over it?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

McCracAttack posted:

If a tex-mex recipe calls for chile powder (not chili powder) which of these would be most correct?

Or is there really something that's just called "chile powder" in the spice isle and my eyes just keep glossing over it?

Chile powder is a powdered pepper.
Chili powder is a spice blend containing non pepper ingredients.

There may be a particular chile powder that pairs well with whatever you're trying to cook, but chili powder is specifically intended for seasoning chili (the dish). You may also want to change chile powders based on intended heat or smokiness for a dish.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yes, I've fallen into the chili/chile powder trap before. Now I'm trying to make sure I don't make a similar mistake among all the available "chile" powders.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

McCracAttack posted:

Yes, I've fallen into the chili/chile powder trap before. Now I'm trying to make sure I don't make a similar mistake among all the available "chile" powders.

The ground red pepper is probably a good add. Between the ancho and the chipotle, it's gonna depend on the flavors of the rest of the dish. The important difference is that the ancho is just dried and the chipotle is smoked.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have something in my spice rack called Mexican Chili Powder think thats how its spelled. I use it a lot and have no idea whats in it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have something in my spice rack called Mexican Chili Powder think thats how its spelled. I use it a lot and have no idea whats in it.

1 mexican 1 chili 2 powder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What if they just spelled it wrong