Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Not sure if there's a better thread for this, but anyone have rice cooker recommendations? Or at least brands/things to look for? The coating on the bowl part of mine is wearing away and it's probably time to replace. Don't need anything too big (usually just cooking for myself, but being able to make enough for leftovers is nice) steamer basket is a big plus.

The equipment thread has some recommendations: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749739

One thing to watch out for with higher end zojirushi's is that they will take *longer* to cook rice but they have nice timer and keep warm features which make that less of a problem if you can plan a little a head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
All good things take time :)

I have a zojirushi and love it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Zojirushi is awesome. But if you don't want to drop that much on a rice cooker, I've been using my Aroma for years without issue and it makes fantastic rice.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Zojirushi is awesome. But if you don't want to drop that much on a rice cooker, I've been using my Aroma for years without issue and it makes fantastic rice.

Honestly I found my Instant Pot has made white rice as well as dedicated cookery

Buuuut it gets fucky with such as brown rice and you need to experiment with your tool

E: even the Serious Eats rice is quick and easy enough: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/04/essentials-how-to-cook-rice.html

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah, I love mine so far. I've even used the steamer tray for veggies, something I didn't think I was going to use.

I think this is every bit a rock-solid Goon-Recommendation as the Victorinox chef's knife or the current non-stick pan.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There were definitely a few different "standard" preparations of basic grains. The question was always "to rise or not to rise". If rising wasn't an option, then it was common to have simply a cornmeal mush (think polenta), cooked with water in a kettle or pot. Simple ash cakes or tortillas might be made as well, forming patties out of the flour or cornmeal and cooking near the fire. If one had the time or ability to have the bread rise, though, sourdough was the method most likely to be used. Folks would keep a culture going on the trail or at home, adding flour and water and taking out to leaven dough as needed. The resulting breads, usually in the form of biscuits or sheepherder bread, were cooked in a dutch oven. Again, the cakes or tortillas could be cooked from sourdough. Absent yeast of some kind, pearlash might be used to leaven the dough, but this tended to be limited to the home. In the later 1800s, though, commercially produced baking powder became widely available and all of a sudden people all across the West could make reliable quick breads and biscuits with just a few dry ingredients and water, which caused a minor revolution in cookery both on the trail and at home. For those who couldn't pack a dutch oven and the other necessities for cooking on the trail, though, there were lots of options for hardtack, trail crackers, and just hard breads made locally that could be kept good for weeks at a time.

Chuck wagons are a little outsized in their myth for how common they were - they weren't common at all. You wouldn't see one "on the trail" as they couldn't keep up reliably with the cattle and those driving them. Large trail drives may have had a dedicated cook, but he was going to be hauling his supplies on mules and cooking over the campfire. Where you did see chuck wagons was at larger, more permanent locations like mining and logging camps or a "doings". In this case, yes, you would see more intricate foods (maybe biscuits and gravy, or roasted meats, soups, etc.). Think of the chuck wagon as the "food truck" of the day - they showed up in the same sort of places.

Trail rations would depend on your ability to carry stuff and how fast you wanted to move. Generally, though, you would see a basic grain like cornmeal or flour, dried beans (which could be soaked all day and then boiled at night), dried beef, salt pork (there was ALWAYS salt pork if you could carry it), pemmican perhaps, and ground coffee. This wasn't a varied diet. Vegetables were limited to what you could find growing. It is important to note, however, that various ethnic groups would bring foods on the trail that others might not. Germans in a wagon headed west very well might have a keg of sauerkraut, and the Basques would tend to have found a way to bring garlic with them as well as salted cod if they could afford it. But yeah, those scenes in Westerns where someone goes to the general store and orders coffee, beans, and flour? Not too far off the mark.

Now, home cooking could be extremely intricate and that's a whole different discussion. And the boomtowns could be absolutely posh - when the Goldfield Hotel opened in Goldfield Nevada in 1900, they made a waterfall of champagne flow down the front steps and the whole town was treated to fresh oysters, caviar, and other "assorted dainties".

Ugh... don't stop now, I'm almost there

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've been using a $20 one from Target for a year. If all you're doing is cooking basic white rice you don't have to go fancy.

Not that there's anything wrong with fancy if you have the money to drop on it. But don't feel like you have to spend $300 on a rice cooker to get good rice.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I use a cheapass one to make everything but white rice: brown rice, quinoa, lentils, pilafs, etc. Still works fine. If I leave it for awhile after it's done, I get a little tahdig on the bottom, but that's the best part

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

my zoji made such good rice the first few times I described it as butter. Now it's the norm :(

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a $15 rice cooker Ive had for like 15 years. Works fine.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah but does it play a lil tune when the rice is done?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It plays a single note melody with a percussion instrument known as a clicky button

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dunno if this is the right thread but I ctrl+Fed 'pasta' for like six pages and came up empty so

why are my pasta sheets shrinking super dramatically when I roll them out? disclaimer: after I kneaded/rested the dough I had to go so I cut it into quarters and wrapped them in plastic wrap then put them in the fridge so I suspect it's that, and if so, is it fixable? Egg pasta

I'm rolling them out with a stand mixer attachment doing the "5-6 times at the 1 setting and folding into thirds then twice at each subsequent setting" method

TIA for any advice

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Anne Whateley posted:

I use a cheapass one to make everything but white rice: brown rice, quinoa, lentils, pilafs, etc. Still works fine. If I leave it for awhile after it's done, I get a little tahdig on the bottom, but that's the best part

Tahdig: great thing or greatest thing?

Discuss.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I still do the heathen thing for rice. Pour rice into a soup pot then place my palm down and fill with tap water until just between my wrist and knuckles. Simmer until sticky rice.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Timby posted:

So, I'm going on a date this Friday, the woman is hosting and I really like her. She wants to cook lamb shanks and necks, but has no idea what to do with them. I've never worked with lamb, either. Help?

I know this is going back, but I've done this a bunch for lamb shanks: Flour them, brown them, and braise them in a dutch oven with white wine and chicken stock for a couple hours with a mirepoix mix (onion, carrot, celery), a little lemon zest, 6 cloves of garlic, few sprigs/leaves each of thyme, rosemary, and sage. A little tomato paste if you want. 2-3 hours until falling off the bone. Should work with the necks too, but I've never tried it.

If you already got a recipe, unless they tell you not to, make sure you trim the shanks well. Lamb shanks tend to have a membrane (silver skin) that doesn't really break down under any cooking method.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Tahdig: great thing or greatest thing?

Discuss.
Great thing BUT I actually prefer it broken up rather than in one big piece

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Seriously, I love this thing for $30:

https://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Housewares-ARC-914SBD-Cool-Touch-Stainless/dp/B007WQ9YNO/

I vote we put it in the OP of the equipment thread.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

stinkypete posted:

I still do the heathen thing for rice. Pour rice into a soup pot then place my palm down and fill with tap water until just between my wrist and knuckles. Simmer until sticky rice.

This works so long as you never decide to change the amount of rice you make.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'd like to make my own Barbecue Sauce, are there recommended methods that would produce a tangy flavor?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

excellent bird guy posted:

I'd like to make my own Barbecue Sauce, are there recommended methods that would produce a tangy flavor?

Pretty much all bbq sauce recipes add vinegar and that's where the tang is coming from

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Casu Marzu posted:

Pretty much all bbq sauce recipes add vinegar and that's where the tang is coming from

I can taste a difference between a ketchup based Kansas City BBQ sauce vs a Carolina vinegar based BBQ.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Doesn't ketchup have vinegar in it?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Well, there is this collection of a variety of vinegar-based sauces (recipes are in the headers). Would this help?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Vinegar based and a sauce with vinegar are two different things. When I make a kansas city style sauce, I still use ketchup (which has vinegar) and white vinegar. It's absolutely necessary to balance the sugar.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Well, there is this collection of a variety of vinegar-based sauces (recipes are in the headers). Would this help?

It's nice, thinking might have to invent my own sauce as I have a probably unreasonable fear of sugar, however there is always mustard which is said to be easy.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Squashy Nipples posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Housewares-ARC-914SBD-Cool-Touch-Stainless/dp/B007WQ9YNO/

I also had a $30 more basic Aroma and it was a great workhorse. Only got rid of it because we got an Instant Pot and lacked enough counterspace for both. The instant pot makes GREAT brown rice, though. Seriously better than I ever had from other rice cookers.

I am curious about "Flash Rice" though.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

excellent bird guy posted:

Erm, Im pretty sure all barbecue sauces follow a secret recipe

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
This serious eats recipe for an apricot glaze/barbecue sauce rocks: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/apricot-glazed-barbecue-pork-ribs-recipe.html

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
For anyone else confused where Cook or Die went; it's in TFF.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

totalnewbie posted:

This works so long as you never decide to change the amount of rice you make.

I never changed my pot I was poor at the time. Rice is the great dinner extender.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Squashy Nipples posted:

Electric Pressure cookers are magical I suggest you learn how to cook with it then start branching out to other ways of cooking. Do you like Beans?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Resting Lich Face posted:

For anyone else confused where Cook or Die went; it's in TFF.

It's visiting for the playoff weekend.

Chickencheese gotta roam free.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Stupid question that's kind of too broad to actually answer: How do I eat seasonally? Or really more specifically, anyone have and ideas/recommendations/tips on how to start eating more seasonally? There's always a certain romance in descriptions of certain foods and the seasons they're associated with and I think it could end up forcing me to try more vegetables in different ways but every time I sit down and decide what to cook for the week I just go through cook books until I see something that looks good and then I go to the grocery store hungrier than I should and buy anything that looks good.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

captkirk posted:

Stupid question that's kind of too broad to actually answer: How do I eat seasonally? Or really more specifically, anyone have and ideas/recommendations/tips on how to start eating more seasonally? There's always a certain romance in descriptions of certain foods and the seasons they're associated with and I think it could end up forcing me to try more vegetables in different ways but every time I sit down and decide what to cook for the week I just go through cook books until I see something that looks good and then I go to the grocery store hungrier than I should and buy anything that looks good.

I joined a CSA and that forced me to cook seasonally because all my veggies were what came in the box.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

captkirk posted:

Shop at a farmer's market and then cook with what you get there.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

TheCog posted:

I joined a CSA and that forced me to cook seasonally because all my veggies were what came in the box.

This was going to be my advice: our local farm deliver us veg every week, and its forced me to be much more considerate of the seasonality of food. We literally always have onions and potatoes, but we get amazing greens, squash etc. depending on the time of year

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

stinkypete posted:

Electric Pressure cookers are magical I suggest you learn how to cook with it then start branching out to other ways of cooking. Do you like Beans?

Holy poo poo dude, are you new here?

Because I'm not. I know all about pressure cookers and Instant Pots, and I cook and eat a lot of beans. I just wanted a dedicated rice cooker, I'm not sure how that earned your condescension.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I was recently gifted a pack of naan and jarred butter chicken sauce, as well as a rice cooker. I'd like to make some sort of approximation of butter chicken, and I know I'd like to use chicken thighs instead of breasts because of cost + flavor. I'm a novice cook, so any advice would be helpful. Aside from greek yogurt, lemon juice, turmeric, and cumin, what should get for the marinade? Should I get skinless/boneless thighs? Should I brown the thighs in the pan and then move them to a slow cooker, or should I just make it in the pan? Again I intend to use the jarred sauce but any suggestions to make it taste better would be appreciated as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Squashy Nipples posted:

Holy poo poo dude, are you new here?

Because I'm not. I know all about pressure cookers and Instant Pots, and I cook and eat a lot of beans. I just wanted a dedicated rice cooker, I'm not sure how that earned your condescension.

I am an idiot that loves to talk about cooking beans! I derail when I can slip in a bean recipe. Yes I am new. Sorry for the slight.