Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Have you tried stuffing fresh herbs under the skin? Tarragon gives amazing results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bagheera posted:

*Not a pre-mixed Indian curry; rather a specific mix of spices that goes into common Indian chicken dishes.

You can do a tandoori chicken with a whole chicken and without a tandoor. It's a yoghurt based marinade with kashmiri chilli, cumin, coriander, garam masala, cinnamon, fenugreek leaves etc in it. There's are loads of recipes online with slight variations and quirks in them. But the core of the recipes is the same, marinade in yoghurt spice mix for a day then roast. Pretty easy.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Lawnie posted:

Check out Kenjis Peruvian chicken if you like mildly spicy versions.

That mix was amazing. The addition of white vinegar to the paste made a big difference. I'll be using that for other meats in the future for sure.

Pasted from the Serious Eats website:
4 teaspoons (12g) kosher salt
2 tablespoons (18g) ground cumin
2 tablespoons (18g) paprika
1 teaspoon (3g) freshly ground black pepper
3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
2 tablespoons (30ml) white vinegar
2 tablespoons (30ml) vegetable or canola oil

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
On the topic of whipped cream, but is like the cream for some pastries like the Chinese coconut cream buns, is that just regular whipped cream or do they thicken it further for shelf life?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can stabilize whipped cream

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-ways-to-make-whipped-cream-recipe-6755273

actual recipes differ by bakery

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Raenir Salazar posted:

On the topic of whipped cream, but is like the cream for some pastries like the Chinese coconut cream buns, is that just regular whipped cream or do they thicken it further for shelf life?

I'm pretty sure they add some powdered sugar for like Chinese buffet style whipped cream. It helps it stay shelf stable a bit more. Also gives it that different mouthfeel. I'm not a fan but whatever. "Lighter", crunchier, more stable, more anti-microbial.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Desert Bus posted:

I'm pretty sure they add some powdered sugar for like Chinese buffet style whipped cream. It helps it stay shelf stable a bit more. Also gives it that different mouthfeel. I'm not a fan but whatever. "Lighter", crunchier, more stable, more anti-microbial.

Thanks! I'm on keto so unless I'm already basically getting this effect from powdered ethrythritol/allulose I'll try the greek yogurt and other stabilizer methods to see how they go. I really love those coconut cream buns and I'd like to figure out a good keto approximation. So far I'm thinking something like keto souffle or keto yogurt souffle "cake" should get me something close enough plus the stabilized sugarfree whipped cream.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Alright trip report, first attempt at beating egg whites failed*. Currently trying to turn failure into cookies. Second attempt at whipping egg whites appears successful, waiting on failed attempt to finish baking before proceeding.

*Tiny amount of egg yolk contaminated the mixture. I thought it would be fine, it was not fine.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Recently I bought a meat thermometer via my farm share and after reading the instructions I found out it has a terrible quirk where it will automatically turn itself off after ten minutes if the temp it is detecting is below 110 F. To me this makes it almost completely useless for doing the low and slow roasts I bought it for. Can anyone recommend a meat thermometer that won't just abandon a long roast after ten minutes?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Here is a good place to ask that question!

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I got frozen costco spanakopita that I make in the air fryer. They are decent, but a bit lacking. Any good, low effort ways to improve them?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Let them go longer than the directions say, at least for my air fryer. I was also underwhelmed with them so I ended up using them on a big salad as involved croutons

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

I got frozen costco spanakopita that I make in the air fryer. They are decent, but a bit lacking. Any good, low effort ways to improve them?

Butter.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Recently I bought a meat thermometer via my farm share and after reading the instructions I found out it has a terrible quirk where it will automatically turn itself off after ten minutes if the temp it is detecting is below 110 F. To me this makes it almost completely useless for doing the low and slow roasts I bought it for. Can anyone recommend a meat thermometer that won't just abandon a long roast after ten minutes?

It looks like the other thread is already offering details, but the answer to "where can I get a thermometer that's good for [anything]" is usually Thermoworks.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

BigHead posted:

Anyone got a pig feet 101 handy? My husband wants me to cook him up some pig feet for his birthday, of all things. I'm happy to do it and it'll be an adventure for me but I've never had an opportunity before. My usual go-to of searching America's Test Kitchen and the other trusted places ain't returning results.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question from a few weeks ago. Found a local butcher and got six pig feet for like $2.99/lb. The first thing I should have done is have the butcher chunk them up. Instead I bought them whole and took them home.

I went with pig feet in sweet vinegar and ginger. Apparently it's a Cantonese maternity dish for when the baby is three days old. Very specific.

I thawed them then went about cutting them down to size. The goal was somewhere between the size of a hockey puck and an egg. This utterly destroyed one of my nice cleavers, but I had enough stubbornness and brute force to carry the day. My kitty got more than a few small pieces of pig that fell to the floor too. Turns out six pig feet is way too much pig feet so I only used three. I put the foot medallions in the fridge.

I got a lot of ginger, maybe a pound and a half or two pounds. Peeled and cut down to pretty big hunks, like the size of a quarter to a girl scout cookie. Threw them into my heated Dutch oven with no oil, just to dry out a bit. Then dumped in two entire bottles of sweet black vinegar, bought to a boil, and reduced slightly. Turned heat off and let cool while the ginger and vinegar infuse each other.

Meanwhile in another Dutch oven boil a quart of salted water. Put the feet medallions in the water. Continually skim the crud that floats to the top until water is mostly clear, about twenty minutes. Drain and dry.

Add pig feet to vinegar and ginger pot and simmer for two to three hours minimum, though we went for I think four hours.

The end result was this super flavorful unctuous gelatinous dish. I would say on the extreme side of gelatinous, as the feet had all of the bones. Two people didn't like the texture and passed after two or three bites, but two ate a couple servings and slurped the sauce. The rest liked it though they said it was a chore with the bones.

9/10 would do again as long as I remember to have the butcher cut the medallions.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have made this gochujang noodle recipe a couple times now. I really like how adaptable it is, you can throw in any vegetables or protein you have around. (I do think 1 Tbsp of gochugaru is too much, 1/2 Tbsp was about right for me -- still quite spicy, but not as brutal as a full tablespoon.)

My question is: I have never really eaten udon before. The udon I got from my local grocery store is by Ka-me, it's this stuff. I think? this would be considered "fresh" udon, it's in two vacuum sealed pouches and they're soft when I take them out. The first time I ate them, I boiled them, and they were too gummy; I still ate them, but I wasn't into the texture. The second time, I just stir fried them as the package directions instructed: into a pan with a bit of sesame oil and water, cover for 3 minutes to loosen them up. Then I set them aside while I did the veggies, and then tossed them back in with the sauce and sesame seeds.

They were better, I think, but still kind of gummy. Is this just how udon is? Or did I do something wrong?

I would also love any gochujang-based recipes that you think are great, since I have most of a 2-pound tub of gochujang to get through. I have done this, beef bulgogi, and that slow-roasted gochujang chicken everyone loves so much; for the last one, the chicken was very tender, which was nice, but I didn't get much of the gochujang flavor.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

guppy posted:

I have made this gochujang noodle recipe a couple times now. I really like how adaptable it is, you can throw in any vegetables or protein you have around. (I do think 1 Tbsp of gochugaru is too much, 1/2 Tbsp was about right for me -- still quite spicy, but not as brutal as a full tablespoon.)

My question is: I have never really eaten udon before. The udon I got from my local grocery store is by Ka-me, it's this stuff. I think? this would be considered "fresh" udon, it's in two vacuum sealed pouches and they're soft when I take them out. The first time I ate them, I boiled them, and they were too gummy; I still ate them, but I wasn't into the texture. The second time, I just stir fried them as the package directions instructed: into a pan with a bit of sesame oil and water, cover for 3 minutes to loosen them up. Then I set them aside while I did the veggies, and then tossed them back in with the sauce and sesame seeds.

They were better, I think, but still kind of gummy. Is this just how udon is? Or did I do something wrong?

I would also love any gochujang-based recipes that you think are great, since I have most of a 2-pound tub of gochujang to get through. I have done this, beef bulgogi, and that slow-roasted gochujang chicken everyone loves so much; for the last one, the chicken was very tender, which was nice, but I didn't get much of the gochujang flavor.

You can always mix gochujang and mayo as a dip for fries, or as a spread for sandwiches.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Gummy sounds like ideal udon texture to me, especially with "slippery" as well

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

guppy posted:

Itll take a trip to the Asian grocery to get the rice sticks, but tteokbokki is probably the most made dish in our house. Its fast, easy, and absolutely delicious. Its also super customizable.

Search Kenji tteokbokki on YouTube. I do a variation on that. Were not vegan, but legitimately like a half pack of Beyond (best) or Impossible instead of the bacon/other meats. The flavor works great, and bumps up the protein. I do a sprinkle of Hondashi at the end of the heat to add the Smokey flavor, as well as some extra depth.

Note: Rice sticks freeze perfectly. Since the closest Asian market is a bit of a trek for us, I buy like 8 packs at a time. 1 hour in a cold water bath and theyre ready to go.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
tteokbokki also takes like a third of a cup to half a cup a pop, so i go through like 4 of those 2-pound tubs a year despite living and cooking alone

i do it also for nostalgia value, so i never use kenji's recipe (and always add odeng if i have it), but presumably you have no nostalgia for it so do whatever

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Most rice sticks I've gotten from takeout have been super chewy, like each stick is the size of a AA battery and take a minute to chew fully. I prefer softer carbs than that. I tried steam reheating, going a minute at a time, but it never got softer. Is that intended or just idiosyncratic to these two restaurants?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Garaetteok is chewy, that's how it's supposed to be. I don't know that there's any way to lessen that. You could use different tteok, the thin sliced kind for tteokguk is softer just because of its shape. I've used that before when the store was out of garaetteok, it's fine.

E: If you soak them in hot water before cooking they will soften more than if you just throw them into the sauce and cook from there. It's still going to be chewy though.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 29, 2024

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

BrianBoitano posted:

Most rice sticks I've gotten from takeout have been super chewy, like each stick is the size of a AA battery and take a minute to chew fully. I prefer softer carbs than that. I tried steam reheating, going a minute at a time, but it never got softer. Is that intended or just idiosyncratic to these two restaurants?

Honestly, never had them at a restaurant. Ive used multiple brands from the store when making at home, and all of them ranged from pleasantly chewy at 3 minutes, to soft but not mushy at minutes. Times from when sauce is back to bubbling after adding the sticks.

I have never encountered a rice stick that made me take note of an overly-long Time To Chew duration.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
How do I make tartar sauce, and is it worth it to make it myself instead of buying premade? I have capers, and mayo, what else would I need to make good tartar sauce?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

DildenAnders posted:

How do I make tartar sauce, and is it worth it to make it myself instead of buying premade? I have capers, and mayo, what else would I need to make good tartar sauce?

I usually just use mayo/dill pickle relish/lemon juice. I've gone fancy with roasted garlic, hot sauce, horseradish, dill, mustard, etc. But I usually just mix mayo and relish and add lemon juice and WHOOPS too much lemon juice so I add more mayo and relish until it's "right."

It takes like 30 seconds to assemble and i've found the pre-made stuff goes heavy on the mayo, light on the pickle and lemon.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I put fermented pepper water in my tarter and it makes it godly.

It's a sauce that's really hurt by an idea conceding that long John silvers is the tarter sauce; do your own thing.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Tartar sauce is absolutely a make not buy condiment.

In my opinion at its bare essence tartar sauce is mayo and pickles (or relish) so that's where I would start.

This is my personal favorite recipe from a long-dead diner in my hometown:

Mayo 1 cup
Minced red onions 2 tablespoons
Pickle relish 2 tablespoons
Horseradish ¾ teaspoon
Minced fresh garlic ¾ teaspoon
Worcestershire 1 tablespoon
Lemon juice 1 tablespoon

In my memory there were minced capers in there but my notebook says otherwise. I would add a tablespoon in there if you like them.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 30, 2024

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Mayo, capers, gherkins, lemon juice, fresh parsley, black pepper, white wine vinegar.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

DildenAnders posted:

Absolutley worth it but make your own mayo as well.

Using homemade mayo in sauces like this makes the biggest difference.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Friend gave me a bitter melon

What should I do with it

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Eat it.

in a really spicy curry

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Reconsider your "friend".

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there no redemption for the bitter melon

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

What should I do with it
What kind of bitter melon?

I grow an accidentally-hybridised cultivar of Futo, and my go-to is goya chanpuru: bitter melon, tofu, egg, and pork belly (although the ultra-Okinawan version often uses Spam).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
There are like a thousand Indian recipes for bitter melon. Here's a simple example. Here's a fancy example.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Alright trip report, first attempt at beating egg whites failed*. Currently trying to turn failure into cookies. Second attempt at whipping egg whites appears successful, waiting on failed attempt to finish baking before proceeding.

*Tiny amount of egg yolk contaminated the mixture. I thought it would be fine, it was not fine.

Egg whites are extremely cursed in that way. Best practice is tedious. You have three bowls, the separating bowl, the whites bowl, and the yolks bowl. Separate over the dedicated bowl, dump yolk in yolk bowl, inspect remaining white, and add it to the white bowl only if clean.

Also be sure to use a metal bowl and wash thoroughly to be sure of no grease.

Now sacrifice a Circassian chicken.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

What kind of bitter melon?

No idea

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Looks like one of the Chinese varieties (they're kinda...melty? looking like that, where the Indian and Japanese ones are kinda spiky-er). I wouldn't hesitate to sub one for the other, but they do have slightly different flavour profiles. The bitter part of the Japanese bitter melons' flavour tends to have a bit that kinda reminds me of the bitter note of an over-ripe cuke, where the bitter note of the Chinese varieties tastes a little less sharp. I don't know if you've ever tasted a PTC test strip, but it kinda reminds me of that.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

What should I do with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr10yaZ7Nwo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I have some MSG and want to add it to a glaze for fish I'm making but I'm not sure how much to add. The recipe for the glaze is 4.5 tablespoons of stuff - how much MSG should I add?