Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

I have some MSG and want to add it to a glaze for fish I'm making but I'm not sure how much to add. The recipe for the glaze is 4.5 tablespoons of stuff - how much MSG should I add?

1/2 a teaspoon

Longer answer, use it in ratio with your salt. Like 1/2 teaspoon of MSG for every 3-4 teaspoons of salt

EDIT poo poo, snipe, lemme go quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I would add less if there's a lot of soy sauce in those 4.5T, as that's for a ton of natural glutamate as well

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TBH the best way is to just taste as you go. Mix up the glaze, sprinkle a bit, mix it in, then taste a bit on your fingertip. Keep going until it tastes about right.

I think 1/2 teaspoon would be a lot, for about 1/4 cup I’d honestly be in pinch territory.

I’d put some in an old spice jar with a sprinkle lid. I put some MSG in a paprika container and it’s been good to just sprinkle over whatever.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 1, 2024

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm gonna be making Japanese curry and I want to make it with tofu, but I've never cooked tofu before, do I just grab the firmest kind I can buy and saute with the vegetables?

mystes
May 31, 2006

YggiDee posted:

I'm gonna be making Japanese curry and I want to make it with tofu, but I've never cooked tofu before, do I just grab the firmest kind I can buy and saute with the vegetables?
For Japanese curry I would personally suggest just adding a bunch of potatoes and carrots and not adding tofu (IMO texturally it's not really what you want in Japanese curry)

---

The way to prepare tofu sort of depends on what you want to do with it though.

You could just dump it in at the end, you could put it in salt water and heat to boiling and then add it at the end (this may improve the flavor slightly)

You can saute it but I don't think that would be worth the effort to dump in a japanese curry because I don't think it would have any noticeable effect

You could bread and deep fry it to make it into something like katsu which might work better but I'm guessing that's not what you want and I don't think it would be worth the effort unless you're a vegetarian which I'm guessing you aren't if you've cooked tofu (if you're not a vegetarian and you're going to go through the trouble, I would make real katsu)

Honestly, especially if you aren't a vegetarian and don't particularly need the extra protein, I would suggest just not adding the tofu though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 1, 2024

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm not vegetarian but meat is so goddamn expensive right now, I figured it might be a good idea to figure out tofu and I want protein in my curry.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm pro-tofu but I don't think it works very well in Japanese curry, it's not going to be the best intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjOG8chNW-M

Something like this would be better for your first time IMO.

I think a vegetable curry but you also throw in some silken tofu and let it fall apart into the sauce would be pretty good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

YggiDee posted:

I'm not vegetarian but meat is so goddamn expensive right now, I figured it might be a good idea to figure out tofu and I want protein in my curry.
If you want tofu in a curry I would suggest doing an indian curry (basically use it in place of paneer) or thai curry instead

Or do Japanese curry without meat and just eat something else for protein (or do something else with the tofu as a side dish)

Mapo tofu is also really easy in terms of the tofu preparation and it's very tasty so in some sense I want to suggest it as an easy tofu dish but you might need to get a couple of special ingredients for it and it normally does have some meat in it too

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 1, 2024

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
alrighty, sounds like I should keep my tofu adventures and curry separated. :thumbsup:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Strong disagree… We do Japanese curry about once a month and just fry cubes of firm tofu dredged in corn starch, tossed lightly with salt and more curry powder when they come out, then throw them on top. It’s great.

Doing a 3 step katsu style would be even better, obviously, but, effort.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah I’d say just pan-fried tofu would work well in Japanese curry. It takes a bit of effort to cook it first though.

I don’t even use cornstarch or whatever, just slice, then fry on one side until golden, flip and fry on second side, done.

IMO you don’t really sautee tofu without prepping first. You could sautee already fried tofu but if you just put in a bunch of cubes and cook it how you’d cook veggies it’ll just fall apart and be a mess. Frying it first makes it more robust.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah like the first thing that Chinese cooking dude or whatever he’s called does.

Maybe not the second thing what the gently caress is he doing with all those shrimp

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eeyo posted:

Maybe not the second thing what the gently caress is he doing with all those shrimp

Making a Qing-era tofu dish. It's really good. I usually add some dried scallops as well.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Quick note on tofu: oven "fried" can be 95% as good as shallow fried in a wok / deep pan. The key is a quick press (no 15 minutes under bricks, just squish in the package tbh) followed by the aforementioned corn starch coating followed by 425°F for 30 minutes. Don't even need to flip, really. Parchment

Here's a recipe that convinced me, I'll be using this technique for any recipe I use in the future that calls for crispy tofu. https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/sheet-pan-orange-tofu-and-broccoli and I skip the lengthy "weigh down" step. If you follow that recipe exactly, use two sheet pans, idk how it would ever work with one without steaming instead of roasted.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I watched it with sound off so I have no idea what it was.

I think I’m just more of a moldy beans kind of guy than a funky shrimp kinda guy.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How are air fryer for toast?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Just as good as a convection oven (not)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I ended up chopping the tofu into cubes, drizzled some soy sauce on it, coated in cornstarch and pan-fried em for a while. Not bad!

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I'm really worried about cutting my finger while chopping vegetables. Are there any gloves you can wear that would prevent it?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There are cut-resistant gloves that people use for stuff like oyster shucking or a mandolin, but the better thing is to just get over it. Practice your knife technique and how to hold your hand to keep it away from the blade.

Even with perfect technique you will cut yourself eventually and it's not a big deal. You're not going to accidentally take off a whole finger while slicing an onion.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Grand Fromage posted:

There are cut-resistant gloves that people use for stuff like oyster shucking or a mandolin, but the better thing is to just get over it. Practice your knife technique and how to hold your hand to keep it away from the blade.

Even with perfect technique you will cut yourself eventually and it's not a big deal. You're not going to accidentally take off a whole finger while slicing an onion.

Ya this. Learn how to hold the veg with cupped fingers so that the flat of the knife rubs against the back of your knuckles and you don't have any juicy fingertips in harms way.

Every summer I do volunteer work in a Turkish hotel kitchen and 90% of my job is veg prep, and I would say I've cut myself seriously enough to remember exactly once in over 10 years.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Sharp knife is safe knife

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I think the most important thing to remember is to go slow. You don’t need to be a Master Chef and dice 15 onions in five minutes. You are cooking for yourself at home, so go at your own pace until you’re comfortable going faster.

Make sure your knives are sharp. It’s counter intuitive, but dull knives are more dangerous than sharp ones. If your knife is dull it can slip off of the food and go towards your finger.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Or just use a Slap Chop for everything.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

NotNut posted:

I'm really worried about cutting my finger while chopping vegetables. Are there any gloves you can wear that would prevent it?

All of the above, but for a specific glove recommendation I like the No-Cry brand. It's washable and has a grippy side, but I usually wear a nitrile glove over it anyway.

See if there's a cooking course your community college (etc) puts on. Usually they'll teach basic knife skills in the first couple of lessons. Or I'm sure someone has some videos they can point here.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
All that said, if you're using a mandoline slicer, wear gloves.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
There's chainmail gloves which serve the same purpose as well. I suggest the aluminum ones for corrosion resistance.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

All that said, if you're using a mandoline slicer, wear gloves.

as someone whose only ER visit of their lives involved a mandolin, i say "live a little"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Eat This Glob posted:

as someone whose only ER visit of their lives involved a mandolin, i say "live a little"

Counterpoint, as someone who sliced part of the tip of his finger off with a mandolin (No ER visit) and sliced the hell out of another finger with a vegetable peeler (ER Visit), use the correct gear. Hand guard for sure on a mandolin, and maybe a glove for any super sharp stuff. I'll use a mandolin whenever, but I'm still wary of using a peeler and holding the stuff in my hand at the same time.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I genuinely get anxiety every once in a while watching pro chefs freehand mandolin use. I saw Alex Guarnaschelli cut herself pretty bad on one during an episode of Alex Vs America and you could tell how many episodes were left on that shoot for the day because her giant wrapped finger was easily visible

Absolutely use the hand guard and get some anti-cut gloves. They're surprisingly cheap - I think I got some for $3/pair on Amazon. Whatever they cost, they're gonna be cheaper than your co-pay if you're an American

mystes
May 31, 2006

I always use a cut-resistant glove when using a mandoline. Better safe than sorry imo.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

CzarChasm posted:

I'm still wary of using a peeler and holding the stuff in my hand at the same time.

Not the most eco friendly but when I do this professionally I've always just used a latex glove in my veg holding hand, that way any slips or nicks get the glove and not my skin

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Surprise latex allergy in a chicken salad

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Could use nitrile too

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

but I'm still wary of using a peeler and holding the stuff in my hand at the same time.

I gave the tip of my thumb a goo slice 2 weeks ago with this. i was using my lovely ikea peeler since my good one was dirty and it got a good few mm off the edge of my thumb.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I never use gloves with a vegetable peeler, but you can move slowly with those. With a mandoline, I seem to need to keep things moving quickly to get a good cut, so gloves are on. I lost the tip of a finger the first day I got a mandoline, just trying it out, and bought cut-proof gloves the next day.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The kitchen gloves I got for use with my mandoline come with a little card that basically says "warning: these gloves will not turn you into Superman", complete with a silhouette of a person blocking lightning bolts with their hands. :allears:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I can't imagine how I would cut myself with a peeler but maybe mine isn't sharp enough.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I can't imagine how I would cut myself with a peeler but maybe mine isn't sharp enough.
It's more like peeling and less like cutting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I had a potato in one hand. I was rounding off the top of the potato when it slipped off the potato. Since it was dull and I was pushing really hard I jammed it straight into my thumb and got the tip of the corner of my thumb.

mystes posted:

It's more like peeling and less like cutting

Yeah pretty much. It's sharp enough to gently caress up your hand if it's got speed to it.