Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Not sure if there's a better thread for this, but anyone have rice cooker recommendations? Or at least brands/things to look for? The coating on the bowl part of mine is wearing away and it's probably time to replace. Don't need anything too big (usually just cooking for myself, but being able to make enough for leftovers is nice) steamer basket is a big plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

This feels like a silly question, but: Is there meaningful nutritional variance between eggs?

I've noticed some eggs at my supermarket cost a bit more and are advertised as having omega 3 or whatever. Like, eggs are mostly just eggs, right? Some aren't going to be particularly more nutritious then others, right?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Given the following on hand:
Soy Sauce, Worchester Sauce, Olive Oil, rice vinegar, sesame oil, decent variety of typical spices (garlic, cayenne, cumin...)

What would be my best bet for a marinade for a thin striploin steak? Plan to have it with some rice. I've typically done my steaks with a bit of Worchester, salt and pepper about 30 mins before cooking, wondering if I can/aught to do more. (But don't really want to run out and grab stuff for dinner tonight so it'd have to be with what I have on hand, since a lot of the google recipes I get have vinegars and citrus I don't really have on hand.)

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 16, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Actually, on that note, I do have fish sauce that I used for a stick garlic pork thing.

How would I want to portion those? (Particularly given a fairly small steak) - and you mention the marinate making a good topping for the rice - in that case would I want to cook my steak, then re-add/re-heat the leftover marinade and cook it down a bit or something? I'm a pretty big cooking noob so I mostly know a steak marinate as something as like, light enough that it's absorbed by the steak, or something you leave behind?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cool, thanks for all the advice!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm having a bit of an impulsive urge to get an air fryer after a few friends mentioned being pretty happy with having one.

Any brands to look for / stuff to consider with buying one?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there an appliances thread or would that be more of a gadgets forum thing?

My microwave just up and died, sort just heard a pop sound and it seems to have stopped working somewhat unprompted, but I suppose it was somewhere between 7 and 10 years old, so I think I might be looking for recommendations on a new one.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I honestly dont use my microwave -that- much- but it's definitely quite handy for reheating stuff. A favorite is to make a big batch of chili and reheating that in a pot instead of the microwave would be easy enough.

But I agree on the rice thing. While I'll store rice and whatever im having with it (curry, meat mixture) separately, i've usually just reheated them together in the microwave cause lazy, and trying to do that in a pot seems more annoying.

I also usually like to do bacon in big batches in the oven and then store that in a fridge, and microwave reheating that saves some time & a pan.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's a good way to deal with cleaning greasy surfaces in the kitchen? I have a lot of neglected areas around my stove like the wall & underside of the hood fan that have seen a lot of oil & grease build up, as well as some cabinets that have an annoying buildup of dust & oil. I've got some "windex multi surface grease cutter" - is there any miracle products, or is it largely just going to be an elbow grease (haw) sort of deal?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

yeah, its the underside of the hood that's got a lot of grease built up on it, and it doesn't really detach or anything, so I think I might just be stuck kind scrubbing at it without a ton of leverage. There's a mesh cover for the fan, but it's pretty badly gunked up and I think last time I tried to scrub it, the mesh was getting a bit damaged/separating from the frame, so maybe that's something that would benefit from a soak or something. I'm not really sure how to identify to see if I can get a replacement one, but I might just need to ask my rental company if it's something they can replace.

But yeah, not always been the most proactive at wiping stuff down and cleaning, so I'm trying to overcome cleaning debt. Cabinets are an just a surface/outside issue, and a bit of a nuisance since they got edges and poo poo that have caught a bunch of dust+oil that gets kind of annoying to wipe down since the dust grease will muck up sponges and cloths quickly.

Mostly asking for like, anything to make the process(es) of cleaning a little easier - work smarter, not harder, y'know? Also, getting tips and tricks are sometimes a good way to motivate myself into doing these chores that I put off. (Like figuring out how nice Bar Keeper's Friend is for renewing stainless steel pans)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I assume these are fries you are cutting yourself? Or are you talking about oven/freezer fries? Figured those already come covered with a bit of oil. I saw some recommendations to try cooking at a bit lower heat for a bit longer for that sort of thing, but can't confirm the efficacy since I only just got my air fryer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How do y'all like cooking raw sausages without a grill?

I know you can pan fry 'em, but the "trick" I was lead to was to put them in a shallow pot of water (just enough to cover) and heat from cold until just boiling, so that you cook it through, and only have to worry about finishing it on a pan. I wonder a little if i'm losing something effectively boiling them though?

...can I do them in an air fryer? Would that be any good? I suppose it'd be similar to doing them in an oven which I'm not familiar with for sausage, and feels like it might not get their outsides crisp in the way you might want, but on the other hand oven bacon works great?