Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I feel like such a dingus but what's the easiest way to fill a peppermill with pepper from a bag? it seems so fiddly and time consuming. I basically just want to be able to pour it in somehow. A funnel won't really work unless the holes are the same diameter on top of having to maneuver the bag and funnel with one hand each. Am I overthinking this/being a big baby about taking the time to slowly fill it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I got a few pounds of frozen elk meat or something about 4 years ago. It's been vacuum sealed and sitting in the freezer that entire time. Visually looks ok. Should I just toss it? I think there is also some elk sausage. Also vacuum sealed.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I have a tilt head kitchen aid mixer that likes to jump around when doing dough. I did some googling and there was mention of a loose hinge pin. If I can easily wiggle the mixer head when locked in place and not moving is that the most likely culprit? How tight should this be? Should there be any give when locked in place?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

We're making prime rib for Xmas and using the Serious Eats recipe. For the jus it wants shin/oxtail/soup bones and I'm not having much luck finding them at the grocery store. I'm not really willing to put much more effort into finding some so what can I use in place of it? Just random steak bits? https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/12/step-by-step-food-lab-reverse-sear-prime-rib.html

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

would using my brevile smart oven to roast the prime rib be a bad idea? juggling oven space and timing

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Anne Whateley posted:

Can it hold a low temp? Does it have a hidden auto shutoff before like 6 hours?

I would expect it not to get to a million degrees, so you'd have to do the final sear in the real oven probably

I tested it and it seems to hold a low temp pretty steady based on the electric thermometer I put in there. I was already planning on doing the sear in the oven and auto shutoff should not be a problem.

Scientastic posted:

Go out today and buy an immersion circulator so you can sous vide your prime rib

I have thought about it but my kitchen space is pretty limited and I was worried about storage for the vessel but just now I remembered I already have a stock pot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Folks, I love garlic but hate cloves gone bad. Costco has a huge bag of pre-peeled garlic. What's the downside to this? Can I chuck it in the freezer and just pull out cloves as needed? Does this gently caress with the taste in some way? I know the pre-minced stuff is generally frowned upon and given the fact that they are minced I can see why but I'm curious if peeled garlic loses some of that je ne sais quoi in the same way.