Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
turns out windows 10 hasnt updated my stupid gaming computer and this version reached EOL because these particular AMD raid drivers are not compatible with the latest update.

glad they couldnt automate that at all. might as well be recompiling my kernel at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

good

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
windows wasn’t so much designed as accreted

pram
Jun 10, 2001

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

The Management posted:

windows wasn’t so much designed as excreted

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the worst windows is still better than the best linux

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sweevo posted:

the worst windows is still better than the best linux

these are actually the same thing now

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also; lol amd

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Captain Foo posted:

these are actually the same thing now

lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
thx microsoft for the windows 10 calculator that uses some wiz-bang precision library and errors out on calculations that floating point handled just fine

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

AMD raid drivers

it appears a terrible mistake was made

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

actually, consumer raid is in general actually a way bigger red flag than amd drivers, and that's saying something.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

raid on gaming??

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

"RAID" could mean all the SATA ports are turned on and run at full speed. At least that's how it was in the BIOS on my last AMD motherboard

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

redundant array of independent dipshits

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

redundant array of independent dipshits

don't sign on behalf of the entire forum

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

my stepdads beer posted:

raid on gaming??

i wanted contiguous 2TB of space on my SSDs

i dont care about data loss at all, just wanted as much space as possible without janitoring where my installs go.

every loving thing is like 40-60 gigs these days.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just using explicitly software raid removes one gigantic failure vector though. the consumer stuff tends to be effectively software anyway, potentially with a touch of hardware deceleration. and of course then the least trustworthy possible software.

afaik the windows software raid is pretty slow though (at least for parity), so we can easily circle back to windows being bad.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

anythging that needs raid should be in a zfs nas or ceph cluster anyways

movax
Aug 30, 2008

the real joke in the op is 'amd raid'

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i wanted contiguous 2TB of space on my SSDs

i dont care about data loss at all, just wanted as much space as possible without janitoring where my installs go.

every loving thing is like 40-60 gigs these days.

ive used intel raid in the past and id rather janitor where my installs go than janitoring a motherboard's integrated raid ever again

like it makes windows install very linuxy where you have to load drivers during installation so your raid partitions are recognized

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

just using explicitly software raid removes one gigantic failure vector though. the consumer stuff tends to be effectively software anyway, potentially with a touch of hardware deceleration. and of course then the least trustworthy possible software.

afaik the windows software raid is pretty slow though (at least for parity), so we can easily circle back to windows being bad.

easy solution dont use parity raid. the blessed levels are 0, 1, and 10

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
yeah i just used raid 0, i didn't care about parity or anything, i just wanted all my SSDs to be one big drive. it required no additional drivers during the install, but for whatever reason those drivers were no longer any good after some windows 10 update? who knows?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

so we can easily circle back to windows being bad.

yes

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
Feel like I remember hearing windows 10 was going to have some type of drive consolidation to solve this issue before it came out, but even 2tb ssds are pretty cheap now so I stopped giving a poo poo.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
that was before refs became abandonware, it had actual volumes

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

bunch of scrubs in here using raid on SSDs. I have 10 micro sd cards set up in a raid :smug:

wait poo poo i nudged my desk there goes all my data

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows has storage spaces but I don't think it lets you do non-redundant layouts.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

windows has storage spaces but I don't think it lets you do non-redundant layouts.

it does afaik. it doesn't seem fantastic overall, but likely the best option on windows.

timick
Apr 7, 2016

zfs is sort of available on windows, but that is mostly for people who want to avoid data loss but that is really not what OP is after.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

maybe some day refs will cover that on windows yeah. storage spaces is largely just the pool part of refs, which you can run ntfs on, and just accept that as a disk goes bad it'll all come crashing down.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

timick posted:

zfs is sort of available on windows

loving lol at the very concept

movax
Aug 30, 2008

timick posted:

zfs is sort of available on windows, but that is mostly for people who want to avoid data loss but that is really which is what OP is after.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

timick posted:

Uh what lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

timick posted:

Captain Foo posted:

Uh what lol

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

timick posted:

zfs is sort of available on windows, but that is mostly for people who want to avoid data loss but that is really not what OP is after.

so is btrfs
it now works very well actually and is pretty well integrated in windows, i have my two old magnetic hdd as raid1 in it and can access it from both linux and windows

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 7, 2020

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zlodo posted:

so is btrfs

Explain this

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

Explain this

if u mean "why" i guess the only explanation is "why not"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

Explain this

windows has a stable api for filesystem drivers, so you can do all kinds of inadvisable things.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

loving lol at the very concept
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

lol