Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I can probably list five or ten anime I like better than their original manga, but I don’t know if there are other series that had direct involvement from the original author to this extent.

Yeah it was common in the old days to run out of material and do either filler arcs or filler endings or just make your own drat show like FMA did. And sometimes you might even get to go back and “re-mangafy” it like DBZ Kai or FMA Brotherhood. But this is the first time I’ve ever seen the author come back years after the manga ended, make an alternate anime ending, and say “I kinda screwed up there because I was literally dying, how about we call a do-over on this whole thing?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s probably happened before in the long history of the medium of anime/manga, but probably not on the regular. Iirc Osamu Tezuka’s Dororo was ended prematurely because it was too violent for the original magazine and the anime concludes the story.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The changes weren't as drastic but after YYH got canceled in WSJ the anime changed and expanded on a few things. We actually got to see some of the fights in the Demon World Tournament, Genkai personally left her inheritance to the gang instead of dying offscreen, and all the curveball King Enma subplot stuff that happened at the last possible second in the manga got totally excised, inarguably for the better.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

YYH got cancelled? wild

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

YYH got cancelled? wild

I think they mean “cancelled” in the sense that it ends right when Togashi finished setting up what was going to be Dark Tournament on crack, because he cut it short himself due to his own “weakness” (re: he was dying from overwork, but that’s the way he put it himself) but “cancelled” really isn’t the best way to put that since by all accounts YYH was big enough to just keep going and going.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Is the manga industry healthier now on the overwork thing, or is it just none of the huge named folks are literally dying from overwork right now?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
horikoshi's still dying, i think.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Last Celebration posted:

I think they mean “cancelled” in the sense that it ends right when Togashi finished setting up what was going to be Dark Tournament on crack, because he cut it short himself due to his own “weakness” (re: he was dying from overwork, but that’s the way he put it himself) but “cancelled” really isn’t the best way to put that since by all accounts YYH was big enough to just keep going and going.

Yeah sorry it was a bad choice of words. Similar to Kubo funnily enough Togashi was basically dying by the tail end of the manga and went to WSJ and said "I need to wrap this poo poo up" which is why the Demon World Tournament is suddenly aborted and all the dangling plot threads get wrapped up with "actually King Enma was secretly behind every bad thing that ever happened in the entire story for reasons, anyway he's deposed now so everybody's happy!"

pointlessone posted:

Is the manga industry healthier now on the overwork thing, or is it just none of the huge named folks are literally dying from overwork right now?

Basically anybody doing a weekly serialization is likely being run through the wringer unfortunately. Except maybe Oda but also he's also a genetic pod person created from the cellular level to be a mangaka, and his manga is so insanely popular and profitable he can probably command an army of assistants to pick up a lot of work for him.

What you're seeing from a lot of the veteran guys is either switching to a looser schedule, or handing the actual production off to others and mostly hanging around in an advisory role. Toriyama and Kishimoto are not the ones actually drawing DBS/Bort, Kubo and Miura (:rip:) run/ran on "when it's done" schedules, etc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even oda now takes regular breaks. unfortunately, less successful weekly mangaka (which is basically all of them) don't have the influence to get any sort of quality of life.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I noticed that a few mangaka's switched to a relatively looser schedules. I think "My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!" mangaka is most noteworthy, because he outright stated "oops, looks like I overestimated myself and I think I will literally die if I continue with a weekly schedule, therefore I will be alternating between proper chapters and 2-3 page long "extra" chapters each week from now on" and functions like that for more than a month already. And while "My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!" is a neat series, it's not exactly a massive success so I think the situation is genuinely getting better.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've been reading You and I are Polar Opposites which is published online in Jump+ and it releases on a bi-weekly schedule, which seems way more reasonable than weekly.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

pointlessone posted:

Horikoshi's dying, Gege was dying for a while, the Black Clover author had a hiatus, then changed magazines to a seasonal one (though we don't know for sure it was for health reasons). Making weekly manga for a long long time is just not a good idea for your body, unless you basically have a production line for it , like the Kochikame guy.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Servaetes posted:

I wonder if they're just going to count U and N out or are they going to continue onto the next season? It seems like they may have just died offscreen, and they cut out all Robert's speech too.

This has been absolutely excellent and I love the manga so it's been a treat. Seeing them not only animate a lot of these scenes and then also adding stuff like Ichibei talking with Yhwach in the past. I really wasn't expecting extra content like that but it owns

So outta curiousity, what was your favorite fight/moment from this cour?

Starting with TYBW part I, Kubo has posted illustrations to his Twitter whenever a character dies (like Yamamoto/Unohana/etc), and he ended up posting illustrations of both Nanana and Robert after Saturday's episode which kinda implies that they got off-screened (funnily enough he didn't post one of Bazz even though he took a full blast of power-stripping light). I think the 7 characters he posted were: Nanana, Robert, Candice, Meninas, and the 3 Squad Zero members that killed themselves.

The extra content in this part as well as how much is actually left to cover has me curious as to how much Kubo and co are going to change in the final fight between Ichigo and Ywach, and probably means we'll actually get to see what Tensa Zangetsu actually does.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Very much hoping the spirit of all these changes carries over into the third cour. Ichigo in particular really needs a Zero Squad style glowup from here on out because he kinda just gets poo poo on for the rest of the arc in the manga. Things I hope get added/changed in the next two cours:

1. We actually get to see Ichigo's new bankai and powers a bit before Yhwach almighty's them away.
2. Isshin and Ryuken getting to throw down a bit instead of just turning up and handing over the plot arrow. Bonus points if we get Isshin's bankai.
3. The Gerard fight getting cleaned up substantially.
4. All the old cast members (Ganju, arrancars, vizards, etc) who show up actually getting to do something that matters.

Hard Mode: Ukitake's sacrifice ends up mattering more than not at all.
Dante Must Die Mode: Chad wins a fight against an actual opponent on screen.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I believe in Ichigo

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sydin posted:

Dante Must Die Mode: Chad wins a fight against an actual opponent on screen.
C'mon now.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

So I was skeptical on it before but the new stuff with the royal guard definitely means Yamamoto was bullshitting when he said he was the strongest shinigami.

Hell would butterfly aizen even be able to throw hands with an unrestricted royal guard? The world didn't shake when he metamorphosis-ed

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Did they keep the transphobic line in?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Covok posted:

Did they keep the transphobic line in?

no and yes. it got rerecorded for gaijins but was the original in japan.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
What was it?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqJDiUSbGRI

completely unnecessary to have ever added but amusing that Yumichika can smell cum from several feet away

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
He's like a bloodhound

A cumhound if you will

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Stairmaster posted:

So I was skeptical on it before but the new stuff with the royal guard definitely means Yamamoto was bullshitting when he said he was the strongest shinigami.

Well, what he actually said was something along the lines of "in the past 1000 years no one stronger than me was born"

Ichibei is from the time before the Soul King, and Oetsu and Senjumaru were probably already around 1000 years ago since in the flashbacks we see the shinigami having zanpakuto and their garbs. Tenjiro knew Unohana and taught her healing, so he was also probably around 1000 years ago as part of Squad Zero too.

The only odd one is Hikifune since she was promoted 100 years ago, so either she is 1000+ years old but just recently got promoted (so as not to contradict Yama's statement about being born), or as some people speculate getting promoted to Squad Zero and infused with the Oken gives you a power boost

OR

Kubo kinda forgot. It's been more than 10 years since he last worked on Bleach and he didn't think about the contradictions him fixing Squad Zero could cause :shrug:

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

To be completely fair, Yamoto might be the physically strongest if you don't account for people with incredibly broken, reality-warping abilities

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aizen's complete unwillingness to ever fight yamamoto wasn't purely a matter of power levels.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tampa Bae posted:

To be completely fair, Yamoto might be the physically strongest if you don't account for people with incredibly broken, reality-warping abilities

again, his bankai didn't do the super saiyan 3 earth shake that shutara's did so I think she could fold yamamoto like a preztel with her barehands.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Considering Ichibei could just splash his ink on Yamamoto and totally rob him of his power, it doesn't really matter if Yamamoto is physically stronger or not. He may very well be, but Ichibei has a ridiculously busted power set that kinda got undersold in the manga because of how quickly Yhwach no-sold it.

Tenjiro's position on the timeline is also kind of weird because he's an older member than Hikifune and has a past with Unohana, but also apparently was around in SS long enough for Urahara to "steal" his healing hotsprings? Maybe he just left some notes behind or something and Urahara ran with it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Synthwave Crusader posted:

Starting with TYBW part I, Kubo has posted illustrations to his Twitter whenever a character dies (like Yamamoto/Unohana/etc), and he ended up posting illustrations of both Nanana and Robert after Saturday's episode which kinda implies that they got off-screened (funnily enough he didn't post one of Bazz even though he took a full blast of power-stripping light). I think the 7 characters he posted were: Nanana, Robert, Candice, Meninas, and the 3 Squad Zero members that killed themselves.

The extra content in this part as well as how much is actually left to cover has me curious as to how much Kubo and co are going to change in the final fight between Ichigo and Ywach, and probably means we'll actually get to see what Tensa Zangetsu actually does.

He posted Meninas and Candice too and TYBW mentions them being alive and captured by Mayuri... Who knows...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

He posted Meninas and Candice too and TYBW mentions them being alive and captured by Mayuri... Who knows...

Death would be the better option here lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Death would be the better option here lol

Actually stated on the novel too haha

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

Actually stated on the novel too haha

lmao

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Orihime girl what is you wearing?!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So unfortunately Wendee Lee has shown her entire rear end and is arguing with people who are upset they doubled back and put Wendee Lee back in the role of Yoruichi after Anairis Quiñone had already been cast and played the role in one episode.

I'm torn up by this. Anairis doesn't deserve this disrespect at all and Lee has no business usurping a role meant for a person of color. Her showing her whole rear end has made me lose a ton of respect for her.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I have no dog in this particular race but it'd be neat if anime and anime-inspired media would stop trying to mimic the voices of japanese VA's and just do their own voices. I don't mind if white people do the voices of asian characters as long as they're not playing caricatures or stereotypes

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That’s. Not really the issue here?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What's she doing/saying? I don't have the bird app with the stupid name.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/medwardsva/status/1716177076141572294?s=46&t=idHOluBX7WY76GN9uEVUwg

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

editing because I decided I really don't care about dub voice drama or people on x.com

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao what a psycho.

Chill out Lee you're like one of the most prolific actors in the industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A professional poc actor getting forced out of a role by a major company and a white predecessor is about more than just “drama” but whatever.