Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

We have a Fantasy Sumo Tournament that we run most basho. It's pretty fun, and on the player's side, pretty easy. The banzuke is divided into 5 sections, and you get a wrestler at each section to earn you points. You submit a slate of guys for the draft (3 at each section) and then they get picked based on your position on a wire. It's a fun way to follow wrestlers at the bottom of the division.

I'll be doing the draft the Saturday before the basho starts, so feel free to join in! Here are the full rules:

Basic rules

Every player will have a stable of 5 wrestlers. The wrestlers will be from the following ranks:

1 from the yokozuna/ozeki ranks
1 from the sekiwake/komusubi ranks
1 from maegashira 1-5
1 from maegashira 6-10
1 from maegashira 11+

Wrestlers in a stable will gain points for winning bouts and also from achievements like getting a kinboshi or winning the tournament etc. There will also be a couple of ways that points will be deducted from a stable (make-koshi and trading penalties).

Drafting

A wrestler can only be in a limited number of stables. This number will be a fraction of the total number of people in the league, and whoever is running the league can adjust it for every rank level. For example, perhaps a wrestler could only be held by 1/3 (rounded down) of the players in the league. That means in a league of 10 players, only 3 can have the same wrestler at the same time.

For the draft, each player makes a ranked list of the 3 wrestlers they would like at every rank level. Once these lists have all been submitted, the draft randomizes, and then applies the picks in a snake (i.e. y/o picks go ABCDE and then s/k picks go EDCBA and then m1-5 picks go ABCDE etc.). If someone's 1st choice is full by the time the snake reaches them, it takes their second choice, and so on. The randomized list for the draft will be used for the trading wire, but reversed (i.e. if the draft is ABCDE then the wire will start at EDCBA on day 1).

Trading

Players can trade for the first 7 days of the tournament. All trading stops once bouts start on nakabi, or middle Sunday. To trade, you choose a wrestler from a given rank set to get rid of, and another from the same set to pick up. Trading follows the same rules as drafting in that if, say, 1/3 of the people in the league have a given wrestler you cannot choose them in a trade. Trades must be submitted before 4 pm Japan time each day to be valid for that day. The trades will be processed at 4 pm Japan time. There is free trading before matches start on day 1. Once the basho starts, everyone gets on free trade. The second trade incurs a -.5 point penalty, and every subsequent trade is a -1 point penalty.

Priorities in terms of conflicts in a trade will be determined by the trading wire, i.e. someone in 1st position in the wire will beat someone in 3rd position if they both want the same wrestler, but only one can get him. Once someone does a trade they are placed at the bottom of the wire, and everyone else moves up. If multiple people trade on the same day, they are placed at the bottom of the wire in the order that they were higher up in the wire. Therefore if the wire for the league is ABCDEF, and A, C, and F trade, then the wire will be BDEACF for the next day.

If 2 people want the same wrestler, but only one can have him, then the person who loses out swaps positions on the bottom of the wire with the person who beat them. Therefore if the wire is ABCDEF and A, C, and F trade, but A gets F's choice because of the wire, then the new wire will be BCEFCA.

Scoring

Points will be granted in the following ways:

1 pt. for each win
5 pts. for the championship or yusho
3 pts for the runner-up, or jun-yusho
3 pts for a special prize, or sansho
2 pts for a gold star victory, or kinboshi
1 pt. for a winning record, or kachi-koshi
-.5 pt. for a losing record, or make-koshi
-.5 pt. for your second trade
-1 pt. for every trade beyond the first 2

There are a couple of special rules in scoring as it relates to trading. You get the make-koshi penalty for a wrestler even if you traded them away. You only get the kachi-koshi score from a wrestler who is in your stable at the end of the tournament. You only get the kinboshi score from a wrestler if they scored the kinboshi while they were in your stable AND if you still have them at the end of the tournament. The jun-yusho points will not be awarded if 3 or more wrestlers are tied for second place in terms of their record.

Here are the tie-breakers, in order:

Yusho
Jun-yusho
Total Sansho
Total Kinboshi
Total kachi-koshi
Fewest trades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

"Sd" means "sandanme", which is the third division of 6 (from lowest to highest, jonokuchi, jonidan, sandanme, makushita, juryo, makuuchi). "64" is the 64th slot on the banzuke for that division, while "E" means "east". The top 4 division have fixed numbers of wrestlers, while the bottom two have a rough number that varies tournament to tournament. Each rank has two levels, east and west. Thus, you'll have juryo 8 east, and juryo 8 west, or j8e and j8w. The east side is considered more prestigious and marginally higher in rank than the west. The east/west division is an interesting side effect of the fact that the banzuke isn't just the abstract idea of rank, but an actual written document on a piece of paper, which is written in two columns. There's all sorts of ephemera around this, like how if there are 3 yokozuna and 3 ozeki the 3rd yokozuna will be y2e, while the 3rd ozeki will be o3w in order to "balance" the two columns. There used to be a thing where "east" would compete against "west" over the course of the tournament for total wins but that got discarded some time ago (I can't remember where I learned this, I'd love if someone remembers the details).

Marching Powder posted:

Also I'll pass on the picks for this tournament. I don't really know anyone except for Tochinoshin and Hakuho so I'll get my bearings and figure out whose jib I like the cut of.

I'll say, doing fantasy is what got me to follow the lower-ranked guys. It's hard when you're starting out to figure out who's worth cheering for other than the few flashy top-rankers. I'm still a Yutakayama fan because I randomly picked him for my bottom-rank slot the first time I did fantasy. You can just pick some random dudes at the right ranks and then enjoy having more to focus on during the low-ranked bouts!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Rigel posted:

Takakeisho participated in practice sessions open to the media, easily winning 10 matches and looking good, very fast.

Kakuryu went for degeiko at another sumo stable, and went 17-4 in 21 matches.

Asanoyama went for degeiko at Kisenosato's stable, and faced ex-kisenosato 17 times. The result: 1-16. yeah....

edit: The YDC Soken was held last night. (Mandatory practice session in front of the grumpy old men who run sumo) Hakuho and Kakuryu each faced Makuuchi wrestlers for 12 matches, and they both won them all. Takayasu went 3-3 in 6 matches.

The YDC isn't even the grumpy old men who run sumo. It's the grumpy old men who are formally invited to give their opinion of things to the (somewhat less grumpy) men who run sumo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Goddamn. We've all been expecting it though. This is a huge shake up.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

I guess not entirely surprising.

Miyagino-oyakata hits mandatory retirement age in the next 2 years and the heya has doubled in size in the past few years (interestingly, mostly small dudes), so looks like maybe they're gearing up for a hand off to Hakuho-beya (or maybe he'll take the Miyagino kabu, which I'm kinda leaning towards).

Yeah, Hakuho is pretty shrewd, and getting the Miyagino-kabu is an investment, while if he stays on as Hakuho-oyakata he's got nothing to pass on or sell once he himself reaches mandatory retirement.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

He’s also pretty big on records and legacy so I can see getting the special stock and keeping the Hakuho name being a big deal for him. Also I don’t think you’re allowed to sell your name anymore.

Huh, you're right. It says that now the JSA determines who gets stock. How the hell does that get determined? There's not very much to go around, relative to how many wrestlers would presumably like to stay on after retirement.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

To be an elder in the sumo association you need to own elder stock, or toshiyori-kabu. There are 105 shares of elder stock, and each one comes with a name. It used to actually be like a share of a corporation, in that wrestlers who wanted to join the organization would have to save a lot of money to buy one from someone who was retiring, or from his wife or whatever. Apparently back in 2011 they prohibited the sale of kabu (there had been several scandals where kabu had been put up as collateral or sold improperly or whatever), and now the Japan Sumo Association (JSA or NSK) just determines who gets what stock.

I wonder what their criteria are for who gets stock now.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Honestly the bits where large men run into each other on a big pile of dirt is secondary to the bits where old men are grumpy in confusing ways.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 7, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's wild, because Miyagno-oyakata's career-high rank was maegashira 13. It's like if Hidenoumi somehow reared the greatest yokozuna of all time. Like, Hakuho definitely understands the physics and principles of sumo much, much better than his oyakata does. That seems like a weird dynamic to have at the stable.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

For people who are interested in true sumo ephemera, this is a wonderful interview with an Isegahama tokoyama (hairdresser) from 2006.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Mekchu posted:

I watched a Chris Sumo video on Tochinosin's heel controversey from 2019 and this seems ti be his take as well. Old grumpy men ruining a sport because they're old and grumpy. (It's also how some BJJ tournaments here in Korea have been ruined but in the way that the old grumpy men actually arent the governing body).

I wanna be clear: I sorta enjoy the grumpy old man politics. It gives you something to talk about between basho!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Gotta say, I'm super enjoying all the new posters and activity in the new thread. New thread every basho could work, new thread annually could also work, I'm amenable.

I don't know if it's in the OP, but I super like the Grand Sumo Breakdown podcast. They do an episode just before the start of each basho, a shorter episode during the middle weekend, and a wrap-up show after it's over. They also do banzuke prediction and review episodes, and the occasional bonus episode where the profile a wrestler or some incident in sumo history. It's pretty fun stuff, and I always look forward to it.

Fun fact: I got the idea of fantasy sumo (and some of the point system) from GSB, although I expanded it a lot of make it work with a bigger league.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

coconono posted:

The idea of a champion rolling up to potential opponents’ practices just to Wreck Their poo poo is some serious BDE.

Hakuho has the most BDE of basically any athlete I can think of.

PYF Hakuho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6WWreGfXTU&t=178s

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

It's also a circle with two extra bits at the ends and the boundary is at foot level. Peripheral vision isn't going to help you too much to know how close you are to stepping out.

For me Hakuho's big advantage is his supreme balance, he's fully internalised how to best distribute his weight at all times.

I remember the first bout of sumo I ever watched was Hakuho vs. Harumafuji and it looked like Hakuho's feet were implanted into the earth. He's truly uncanny, especially if you watch his bouts from a few years ago, once he was fully mature and seasoned but before his injuries started to really pile up.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I love that a few zabuton were thrown when Aminishiki henka'd Hakuho :lol:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hakuho famously apologized after using a henka to defeat Harumafuji on day 15 in Haru 2016. He was 13-1, and so was Kisenosato, so if he hadn't won it would have gone to a playoff. Instead of a titanic battle of yokozuna with the championship potentially on the line he pulled a huge henka that had Harumafuji flying off the dohyo. The stadium in Osaka actually booed a bit, and everyone hated it. Some people called on him to retire, and he apologized both in the championship interview and afterward.

I love Hakuho so much.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

gently caress I forgot about this. And of course they did it in front of Konosuke, who is known for being stern and willing to keep rikishi in line when they try to be sloppy at the shikiri-sen (i.e. the little white lines they need to put their fists down behind before the tachi-ai). Konosuke is actually a fan favorite, although lately he's been calling way too many mattas. I just love how pissed he is in this clip.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

They're called "sujo", short for "sumo joshi" or "sumo girls". Here's a Japan Times article from 2018 that uses sumo girls as the hook to introduce a piece about the rising popularity of sumo in the Kisenosato era, and here's an essentially identical article from the LA Times in 1992 that similarly uses sumo girls as the hook to introduce a piece about the rising popularity of sumo in the Waka-Taka era.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

He's not wrong. He knows by taking time off people are gonna talk poo poo and say he needs to retire or whatever, but it allows him to heal. There's huge pressure on Yokozuna to show up and perform, even if they're hurt. Ex-Kisenosato, now Araiso-oyakata, was not brave enough to take time off, so he permanently ruined his body and ended up having what can only be described as an ignominious career as a yokozuna, even though he was an excellent and reliable ozeki for years beforehand.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay, here are my picks!

Y/O: Takakeisho / Hakuho / Kakuryu
S/K: Asanoyama / Takayasu / Daiesho
M1-5: Mitakeumi / Hokutofuji / Tamawashi
M6-10: Yutakayama / Ryuden / Onosho
M11+: Kiribayama / Kaisei / Terutsuyoshi

I'm going to try and do the draft tomorrow before everyone goes to bed, so you can know who to root for! Please have your picks in by noon Pacific time. This is a nice big league, and the Y/O ranks are a little sparse, so we'll probably be a bit permissive with how many people can have a wrestler there, but I'll see once everything is lined up.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's under the wire, but picks are in!

Bentai

Y/O: Goeido
S/K: Asanoyama
M1-5: Hokutofuji
M6-10: Ishiura
M11+: Terutsuyoshi

bessantj

Y/O: Hakuho
S/K: Takayasu
M1-5: Kotoyuki
M6-10: Takanosho
M11+: Kiribayama

fisting by many

S/K: Daieisho
M1-M5: Hokutofuji
M6-M10: Ryuden
M11-: Tsurugisho

Kenning

Y/O: Takakeisho
M1-5: Mitakeumi
M6-10: Yutakayama
M11+: Kiribayama

Marching Powder

Y/O: Goeido
S/K: Daiesho
M1-5: Enho
M6-10: TOCHINOSHIN
M11+: Terutsuyoshi

Martytoof

Y/O: Kakuryu
M6-10: Ryuden
M11+: Kagayaki

Mekchu

M1-5: Myogiryu
M6-10: Takarafuji
M11+: Tsurugisho

ratmosphere

M1-5: Okinoumi
M6-10: Tochinoshin
M11+: Kaisei

Rigel

M6-10: Aoiyama

Robviously

Y/O: Takakeisho
S/K: Daieisho
M1: Hokutofuji
M6: Yutakayama
M11: Kaisei

Scythe

Y/O: Kakuryuu
M6-10: Takanosho

sivad

S/K: Abi
M6-10: Aoiyama
M11+: Chiyomaru

Spokes

M6-10: Tochinoshin
M11+: Tsurugisho

Thauros

M6-10: Ishiura
M11+: Ikioi

Looking forward to makuuchi tomorrow!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Mekchu posted:

So reviewing my picks & wins I noticed I picked Oiedo but he didn't compete today so is that because he's out of the tournament, has a bye day, or something else?

Also is there an easier way to keep track of the fantasy stuff (like a website that has a system or whatever) or is it normal to do it via Excel or whatever?

Edit - Nevermind, I guess I wrote Goeido's name down incorrectly. I really suck with Japanese names.

The fantasy stuff is quite ad hoc. It's just a spreadsheet I update and then I post the results here. It mostly works okay, especially since the only stakes are bragging rights. I'd love to have a website etc., and am actually working on it with some friends in the background. Hopefully soon! In any case,

Day 1 standings

code:
Bentai		3
bessantj	4
fisting by many	2
Kenning		3
Marching Powder	2
Martytoof	2
Mekchu		1
ratmosphere	2
Rigel		3
Robviously	3
Scythe		1
sivad		3
Spokes		2
Thauros		2
The current wire is:

Scythe
bessantj
Martytoof
Sivad
Kenning
fisting by many
Robviously
Thauros
Spokes
Marching Powder
ratmosphere
Mekchu
Rigel
Bentai

The following rikishi are unavailable for trade:

Hakuho
Kakuryu
Asanoyama
Takayasu
Mitakeumi
Enho
Tochinoshin
Kaisei

I did 5 per for y/o and s/k and 4 per for maegashira. It's a bit looser than normal, but 14 is sort of an awkward number for these sorts of things, and I thought it'd be more fun for more people to get dudes they wanted. Also, bessantj since it appears Kotoyuki is out injured I just gave you third-choice Okinoumi instead, as a free trade to count before day 1.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 14, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

To add on to the Asanoyama promotion chat, I believe one of the elders speaking for the NSK (it might have been Hakkaku himself) stated after Kyushu that they do not consider Asanoyama to be on an ozeki run. Most of the theorycrafting I've seen suggests that that means just hitting the numbers won't be enough. If he gets, say a 13-2 or 14-1 yusho then yeah, they'll probably promote him. But if he just gets a nice 12 wins they'll likely make him wait another basho, like Takakeisho.

Great sumo today! Endo v. Hakuho was as good as everyone said.

Day 2 standings:

code:
Bentai		6
bessantj	5
fisting by many	6
Kenning		5
Marching Powder	5
Martytoof	6
Mekchu		5
ratmosphere	6
Rigel		7
Robviously	6
Scythe		5
sivad		5
Spokes		8
Thauros		4
The current wire is:

Scythe
bessantj
Martytoof
Sivad
Kenning
fisting by many
Robviously
Thauros
Spokes
Marching Powder
ratmosphere
Mekchu
Rigel
Bentai

The following rikishi are unavailable for trade:

Hakuho
Kakuryu
Asanoyama
Takayasu
Mitakeumi
Enho
Tochinoshin
Kaisei

Kenning fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 14, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Mekchu posted:

Very tempted to hop on the Endo bangwagon but I'd drop more points than I think it will end up being worth.

Also are the standings just for each day and not cumulative points? Day 1 I had 5 pts, a few of my guys on Day 2 got wins but I only went up 1 pt total. Sorry I'm very confused by the maths of things.

No point in picking up Endo for his kinboshi, those only count if they're scored while he's on your team. Actually, since you asked I double-checked the scores and I'd accidentally marked Kakuryu as a win on day 1, so I fixed that and updated the scores. On day 1 you only got 1 point, from Asanoyama. On Day 2 you got 4 points, from Kakuryu, Asanoyama, Takarafuji, and Tsurugisho. You might be confused because your draft picks included 3 guys at each rank, but your team only has 1 guy at each rank. The point of choosing 3 per rank just makes it possible for me to do the draft with the limitations on how many people can have a given wrestler at one time.

The rules and scoring can be found here. It's pretty straightforward right now: you get 1 point per win. If someone gets a kinboshi that's 2 points. Later on we'll start notching winning records and losing records, which are 1 point and -.5 points respectively. Then at the end there are special prizes, the yusho, and the jun yusho.

Since I fill out the spreadsheet manually I occasionally make mistakes, like with Kakuryu. However, I reference with Sumo DB as I score up, so I generally catch it before the end of the tournament, and basically double-check everything when scoring on the final Sunday. As far as I know I've never had a mistake on the final scores.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

show us the spreadsheet!!!!!!

It's a really awful spreadsheet and I'm frankly embarrassed about it. Here's a copy people can view and edit. If someone out there isn't garbage with spreadsheets and wanted to make a more efficient one I wouldn't mind at all.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Charles Gnarwin posted:

This is my first ever basho and I'm easing my way in by just watching the big matches uploaded by Jason's Sumo YouTube channel but I'm loving it. I always liked watching it on TV as a kid when I was on vacation in Hawaiʻi and understanding more of it as an adult makes it so much more fun.

Enho is my loving guy and I will already die for him.

Welcome to sumo! Jason is a great way to get started. My first year or so watching was just Jason, then I watched Jason and Kintamayama once I started recognizing some of the lower rank guys. I also highly recommend the Grand Sumo Breakdown podcast. Go listen to their Intro to Hatsu 2020 episode, they'll have a midway episode out sometime this weekend.

We've got some kinboshi on the board this basho! I don't know if Hakuho has ever given up 2 in a row. That's pretty intense. It's also made for some interesting scoreboard shakeups!

Day 3 standings

code:
Bentai		11
bessantj	8
fisting by many	10
Kenning		9
Marching Powder	7
Martytoof	10
Mekchu		9
ratmosphere	8
Rigel		10
Robviously	12
Scythe		8
sivad		5
Spokes		10
Thauros		5
I'm definitely enjoying this basho more than Kyushu, although I wish Takayasu and, frankly, Goeido were doing better.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hakuho kyujo. Get your trades in, y/o ranks are gonna have no restrictions, since there will only be 2 options between Takakeisho and Kakuryu.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

What this really means for fantasy is that the y/o ranks don't mean as much as they could. Unless I hear otherwise I'm going to assume people want Takakeisho, rather than Goeido, and just give him to people starting day 5. I've already factored in Hakuho's day 4 absence, and I'll have the results up shortly.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

We have the weirdest leaderboard right now: Shodai, Kagayaki, and Terutsuyoshi are all undefeated on day 5. With both yokozuna out and Goeido and Takayasu looking awful, I have no idea how this is going to shake out. Some really good bouts though!

I've processed everyone's trades, including the automatic trade to Takakeisho for anyone who hadn't said otherwise.

Day 5 standings

code:
Bentai		18
bessantj	12
fisting by many	16
Kenning		16
Marching Powder	13
Martytoof	15
Mekchu		13
ratmosphere	12
Rigel		13
Robviously	18
Scythe		11
sivad		11
Spokes		14
Thauros		11
With all those trades, the current wire is:

Kenning
Robviously
Marching Powder
fisting by many
Spokes
bessantj
Rigel
Sivad
Bentai
Scythe
Martytoof
Thauros
ratmosphere
Mekchu

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

coconono posted:

Oh jeez, I thought he got better after the first hospital visit and dang:

Yeah... I think I remember hearing that Musashigawa-oyakata was spending some time with him while he was in the hospital. I feel bad when I think about Akebono :(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Chiganoura-oyakata deserves a lot of credit for keeping Takakeisho strong. From what I remember when he got his injury that lost him ozeki the first time he wanted to fight through it, and then later he tried to come back and fight again before he was fully healed up, and both times Chiganoura didn't let him compete, even though it cost him ozeki. That's amazing foresight and discipline, and as a result we have a Takakeisho that's probably at about 85-90% right now, and who will probably be back at 100% at Haru. Bruce on Tachiai pointed out that Taganoura-oyakata, by contrast, let both Kisenosato and Takayasu get injured and keep fighting, and now Kise is retired and Takayasu looks weak and disordered, when he should have been in contention to make yokozuna.

It would be great if some lessons are taken from Takakeisho/Chiganoura, but honestly who knows.

Marching Powder posted:

ooo, i just had an idea. is there a prize for the fantasy basho champion? if there isn't, i'm willing to donate a new avatar / plat to the winner just to make things a bit more fun. please just let me know if ya'll want me to stand by this.

We've never had a prize for fantasy before, but it sounds fun to me! So far it's just been for fun/bragging rights, but I think things like this are always more fun with stakes.

Mekchu posted:

I'm gonna hop on the Salt Bae bandwagon and drop Tsurugisho for him.

Just in time! Trade registered.

fisting by many posted:

Well that was a disaster of a day. 1-4 and Tsurugisho finished in a wheelchair :(

I will trade Tsurugisho for Tochiozan

Trade registered.

Day 6 standings

code:
Bentai		20
bessantj	14
fisting by many	16.5
Kenning		18
Marching Powder	14
Martytoof	16
Mekchu		14.5
ratmosphere	16
Rigel		17
Robviously	21
Scythe		13
sivad		15
Spokes		15
Thauros		14

Kenning fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 17, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Gang tag sounds super cool! I'd love to see Fantasy Sumo championship tags going around.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Mekchu posted:

General players tag

Illustrious Basho Yūshō tag for the winner

I don't know how to check if they're acceptable gang tag sizes or not.

:eyepop:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Brut posted:

Day 7:
That was not a henka by Tochinoshi, Takarafuji was way too loud Tochi didn't even have to move anywhere.

Oh, absolutely. I mostly like henka, but I understand why people complain about some of the more blatant side-steps at the tachiai. Others, like the one you mentioned, are the obvious response to someone who is charging too low, or who didn't keep their eyes on you. Perfectly correct strategy.

I'm stoked on the gang tags! Someday I'll be Yokogoona.

Day 6 standings:

code:
Bentai		23
bessantj	18
fisting by many	18.5
Kenning		21
Marching Powder	17
Martytoof	19
Mekchu		17.5
ratmosphere	21
Rigel		20
Robviously	23
Scythe		18
sivad		18
Spokes		19
Thauros		17

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I still can't get over the Enho vs. Yutakayama "just stand up at the tachiai" move from the last basho. I laugh every time I think of it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

loving lol.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

+1 for the gang tag, I'm excited to be a Goonzeki.

Fluffdaddy posted:

I didn’t know the thread moved somehow and I feel sadness :(. Anyways count me in for a tag too.

Welcome back! The new thread is very lively!

Tonfa posted:

My sincere thanks to whoever decided to move the topic to this subforum, sumo is vastly more entertaining than I could have ever thought possible

I've hosted parties where I serve sake and onigiri and I put sumo on a big TV and everyone who attends ends up making essentially this observation. It's a really fun sport to watch and follow!

Great day of bouts, Enho v. Endo was amazingly fought. Too bad to see all the top guys in rough shape, but we're getting some solid fights. Yutakayama v. Terutsuyoshi was also excellent.

We're gonna start getting KK and MK in fantasy in the next couple days!

Nakabi standings:

code:
Bentai		25
bessantj	20
fisting by many	23.5
Kenning		24
Marching Powder	19
Martytoof	23
Mekchu		20.5
ratmosphere	23
Rigel		23
Robviously	28
Scythe		21
sivad		21
Spokes		21
Thauros		18

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Aoiyama seems like a pretty nice, humble guy. A couple years ago Tachiai posted a translated interview with him from 2015 that's a pretty good read.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

My favorite thing about Chiyomaru is that he's a huge goofball, especially on the jungyo tour. He has a running bit that he used to post on Instagram (idk if he's still allowed to after the social media mini-scandal a couple months ago) where he'd find a wrestler who was taking a nap, and then shake their shoulder to wake them up and say "Hey hey hey! You look tired, you should get some rest while you can." It was funny every single time.

Sorry for the late results, busy day today!

Day 9 standings

code:
Bentai		28
bessantj	22
fisting by many	25.5
Kenning		27
Marching Powder	21
Martytoof	26
Mekchu		22.5
ratmosphere	26
Rigel		26
Robviously	31
Scythe		23
sivad		23
Spokes		23
Thauros		22

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Great set of bouts today! Aoiyama v. Terutsuoyoshi ruled, Shodai v. Shohozan was awesome. Even with all the injuries and kyujo this is shaping up to be a really exciting basho.

First round of kachi-koshi have come in! Things are gonna be all over the place from now until the final Sunday.

Day 10 standings

code:
Bentai		32
bessantj	28
fisting by many	29.5
Kenning		34
Marching Powder	24
Martytoof	31
Mekchu		26.5
ratmosphere	30
Rigel		28
Robviously	36