Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

gently caress me, I've been accessing SA solely on the Awful app for the past 2 weeks and only realized today that the old thread was closed. :negative:

Oh well, I'll just sign up for fantasy basho in March.

Happy to see new faces in the sumo thread but not so happy to see my boy Tochi look like an old man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Previous rule of thumb was for folks watching the bouts as they occurred or just after to put stuff in spoilers so that those just waking up on the other side of the world could watch the replays/highlights first.

Normally, by late morning in the US, people have seen the results/watched the highlights so folks stop using spoiler tags. As someone who lives in the HK timezone, that seemed fair to me.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

With how archaic their injury treatment system is, I'm all for whatever PEDs will allow rikishi to recover better.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

That just reminds me of how happy I was when Harumafuji finally fulfilled the yokozuna promotion requirements.

Dude was crying in the ring after he finally got the throw on Hakuho in what was a long-rear end bout.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

I didn't realize how dominant Akebono's early career was. He only fought at Ozeki four basho before promotion to Yokozuna, and then fought for seven years at Yokozuna.

Perfect time to repost these old clips of all of Akebono's matches with Takanohana (one of the two greatest Japanese yokozuna of the modern era):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLFYuyJTxGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ipBrvlIR6c

Compare his level of tsuppari/hand thrusts to those of Abi and Takakeisho.

Lid posted:

Why was Kaio never promoted?

Back then, you pretty much had to win back-to-back bashos to get promoted.

anakha fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 17, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

akebono is.... like, how do you fight that? one of the finest yokozuna ever getting hadouken'd into the second row is loving terrifying

Akebono does have a disadvantage in that he's so tall and his legs are so long - he's got a high center of gravity which means an opponent can dislodge him if they can grab hold of his mawashi and get close enough to get under his center of gravity.

That godlike tsuppari means you gotta be ozeki-level at least to have a shot at getting under his reach though. And even Takanohana was only able to catch up in head to head record when Akebono was already starting to decline.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Mekchu posted:

Can there be a period with no Yokozunas or do the Elder Chaos Gods feel that's bad for marketing?

It's happened before. There was no yokozuna for nearly a year before Akebono got promoted in 93.

E: Could this year the first time in decades that there are no foreign-born yokozuna or yokozuna candidates?

anakha fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 17, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

Endo was the Great Japanese Promise when he showed up a few years back but stalled out after some early success. If he's finding his stride hopefully he can keep it up.

Didn't help that he had a knee injury too.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I fully expect Kotoshogiku to be a pile of tape with eyes by the end of the year.

You can really see the difference in footwork and fundamentals between the tsuppari of Takakeisho and thaat of Abi.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Dr. Miracle posted:

Could you explain what you mean here? I want to know what to look for. Uh maybe after the spoiler embargo.

No prob, you can actually start by looking at Abi's past matches since there's no need to spoil those. Compare his footwork and thrusting style to that of Akebono's, which I linked in the previous page. Their styles are similar enough to be used for comparison.

Check out Akebono's footwork when he starts the match here. Starts far back because he doesn't want his opponent to have a chance to reach for his belt, but also steps forward with hand thrusts that start out with his arm not fully extended before making contact. The combination of both allows him to shove with a lot of force and send Takanohana stumbling back. He continues to plant his feet well with every step forward to generate max force. Note as well that he is able to do powerful thrusts with both hands so that he continues the pressure with every step forward.

Compare that to Abi's bout against Myogiryu from the other day. Abi starts the match by standing up then leaning forward without taking any forward steps. He also tends to thrust with his arms already extended forward before making contact. That start doesn't generate a lot of force in his hand thrusts so Myogiryu is actually able to stand his ground. As the match progresses, he continues to lean heavily forward with arms fully extended, and you can see that when he steps forward in that stance, half the time he's not able to plant his feet properly (watch how many times his feet fail to find purchase in the dirt) and so doesn't generate as much force in his thrusts as he could. Also in comparison to Akebono, Abi can only really shove forward with his right hand, and he uses his left more to ward off his opponent. That means he's not able to maintain consistent pressure and his opponents only need to defend against his right hand.

Basically, Abi has relatively lovely footwork and is only dangerous when thrusting with his right hand. That doesn't mean he's bad per se (his ranking clearly proves otherwise), but those flaws will probably keep him from advancing and maintaining high ranks unless he works on them, since he has no belt game to speak of.

I'll go into Takakeisho later since this post is already long enough, but you can start by looking at how he starts the match in terms of footwork and how/where he plants his hands when he thrusts.

anakha fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 18, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Harumafuji also perfected the almost-but-not-quite-a-henka, which he would bust out once or twice per basho. Having that in his arsenal was critical since he was pretty tiny for a yokozuna. Check out this bout against Hakuho:

https://youtu.be/90LkKUdBAtQ

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Anyone who likes Enho's undersized underdog style should check out Takanoyama.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, if we ran a sumo bracket like March Madness for a basho only the house would win because so much random poo poo happens day to day.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

A key move in Enho-Goeido was Enho's matta. I suspect Enho deliberately did the false start to make Goeido anticipate one thing, then went in the other direction. Ichinojo did something very similar in his first basho at makuuchi, where he did false starts against a couple of ozeki to make it look like he was eager to bulldoze them, followed by the henka.

E: I would also love a sumo goon tag if it means I can also keep my goonlance tag.

anakha fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 20, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Conversely, has anyone developed any irrational dislikes? I dislike Goeido for no good reason other than I think he's really bland for his position. But wait until Ichinojo makes it back to top ranks -- that's when you'll start to hear me complain about boring sumo.

Kotoyuki for me. His 'gonna pretend I touched the ground so I can get a head start in tsuppari' got old fast and I love it when gyojis call him out on that poo poo.

Conversely, I'm rooting for Terunofuji and wanna see him back throwing people around in makuuchi. I am firmly of the belief each division should have at least two gigantic motherfuckers who just ragdoll their opponents. Terunofuji, Ichinojo and Tochinoshin used to be those guys at the top ranks until the injury bug claimed them all.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Ichinojo was just the definition of "I'm going to lean on a guy who can't move my 900lb frame" :mad:

If collapsing on a rikishi and crushing them was a valid way of winning I'm pretty sure he'd just do that.

Recent Ichinojo, yeah.

Before he got lazy and ballooned in weight? Guy was throwing people around.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Today might have been the grumpiest I've seen Aoiyama act.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

For those still new to sumo, you might wanna check out Furious Pete's video of his experiences in a heya. Okinoumi features in it, I believe.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

While waiting for the next day's matches, here's a blast from the past, featuring baby-faced Hakuho and Tochinoshin hoisted by his own petard.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

Shodai looked in command under pressure. Again. I wouldn't be shocked for a Shodai yusho.

I saw that bout and I kinda disgree (especially after looking at the replay). Shodai looked like he was on the ropes until Abi's lovely footwork struck again.

E: ...and then there was one ozeki.

anakha fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 23, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I love how Abi-Enho was straight out of MMA 101. Duck the strike, shoot for the single-leg.

Hope Takakeisho's nose isn't broken. That forearm by Takayasu at the tachi-ai reeked of pure desperation.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

And even if he doesn't make it that high, he'll likely be in the meat grinder ranks next basho.

I'll certainly be rooting for him, but I wouldn't be drafting him for fantasy in March.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Regardless of today's results, a good question to ask (and maybe Kenning can field this for bonus fantasy points next basho) is what rank does everyone predict Tokushoryu attaining by the time March rolls around. I'm guessing M4 at most, as quite a few guys in the upper ranks did well enough to move up themselves.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Brut posted:

How much longer do you guys think Kotoshogiku will stick around for? He's the oldest guy still fighting and his injuries looked much worse this time around.

Until he's more tape than man.

Seriously though, I think he'll hang on as long as he can stay in makuuchi.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Harumafuji was also visibly crying when he secured the final win that assured his promotion to yokozuna.

I think there's an acceptable level of emotion that can be shown as long as it can't be misconstrued as dishonoring your opponent. Anything that might seem like taunting can and will result in a scolding by the grumpy old men, as evidenced by Asashoryu's various run-ins with said old men during his yokozuna run.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Rigel posted:

They really need to be pretty damned certain that someone deserves yokozuna before they give that promotion. It is arguably pretty cruel to promote someone to yokozuna too early, because they can then never be demoted. If someone gets the top rank who can't maintain a winning record against the sanyaku, then their career will be cut short from the demand to retire.

See: Wakanohana

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

Does anybody have any particularly inspirational stories about a prominent Sumo suffering a massive career setback and having to prove himself all over again?

Tochinoshin achieving ozeki after his injury might work.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

For those not too familiar with this small corner of the sport, here's some shokkiri.

Think of this as the Harlem Globetrotters but in mawashi.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I will say that I'm very thankful for the forum relocation of this thread.

This has been the most active the thread has been during any sumo 'off-season'.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

riderchop posted:

I only found the thread near the end of this previous basho, where were y'all situated before

In the general SAS forum.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I will only accept a closed-door event if they install devices to automatically launch zabutons when a yokozuna loses.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

RIP Byamba.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Brut posted:

I can't find it on any news source or anything, are you sure this isn't just "my website got hacked"?

You're right in that his site is the only one reporting it right now. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt right now.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

riderchop posted:

So did Byamba die?? It's wild that we don't actually know, I'll miss him if true.

His site has announced a fundraiser and a memorial on the 9th. This is too detailed to be a hack at this point.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Y/O: Takakeisho, Hakuho, Kakuryu
S/K: Asanoyama, Hokotofuji, Endo
M1-5: Mitakeumi, Abi, Ryuden
M6-10: Tamawashi, Myogiryu, Shohozan
M11+: Ikioi, Aoiyama, Tsurugisho

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Lol, every match is gonna have a jonidan atmosphere

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Lol first time I've seen a hammerlock done in sumo

E: whether it's tradition or not, I still feel queasy when they wipe their pits before their face during the pre-match ceremony.

anakha fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 8, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hearing Tochi's grunts in full stereo with no crowd noise is unsettling.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I saw some envelopes still getting handed out today. How does that work if there's no audience to advertise to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Requesting to trade Tamawashi for Kagayaki.