Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I don't follow Sumo but I do have an odd question.
How is Hakuho received in Japan? Beloved legend, foreigner who rankles traditionalists or full "If this was the Tour De France the governing body would do everything in their power to negate his career"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

One would think Hattorizakura would have improved a little over 175 fights.
I guess technique doesn't matter much when you are completely physically overwhelmed in every single fight unless you are some kind of wunderkind

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wow you'd think Sumo would be more invested in protecting the mystique of their grand champions. Also I kinda wanna wrestle Hattorizakura. It would be an ego boost for one of us anyway. I promise to not tell him that my knees are shot and crouching is agonizing for me.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 7, 2020

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Elissimpark posted:

Former Yokozuna Asashoryu apparently was banned from some heyas because he went hard in training and you don't want your wrestlers being destroyed in training.

What a fascinating idea.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I checked out a Youtube Vid of Hakuho's performance at the November Basho. My big takeaway was 'wow I bet the way he starts matches rankles some feathers'
Dude somehow figured out how to go the nanosecond a molecule of his fist touches dirt.

And it makes me make dumb prop bets in my head like 'Could Hakuho beat Hattorizakura without moving'. I think 100% yes.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

sivad posted:

PYF Hakuho, back when Aminishiki still had hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5TXO9cqH_c

A few things here:
1) I'm starting to see a lot of these matches where one or more of the fighters (Hakuho mostly) don't put both fists on the ground before starting. I've seen false starts called but mostly that seems to be ignored.
2) Why is the Hekma looked down upon? It's awesome.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hakuho is the hero this sport needs.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So whose job is it to make the money by cutting all the ceremonial stuff out and selling/streaming just the actual fights?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Quick tangent: does anybody here actually like watching the ceremonial stuff?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Are there any bald Rikishi?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Also; the lengths Sumo goes to not protect anybody is astonishing.
Does the circle need to be elevated? Yes
Can the elevated platform extend to maybe more than 3 feet from the circle so falling Rikishi don't splat on the goddamn ground? Nope
How about a barricade: Nope (Not that that would help much)
Pad the Floor: Nope (or do they)
Maybe don't put fans so close to the ring they're in constant danger of being pancaked by falling meteorites of flesh?: You do not have a front row seat unless you ready to die.

Seriously, fans MUST get messed up by flying Rikishi right?

Swear to God. Do something wrong once it's a mistake, do it 100 times and its a tradition.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Man, no Yokozunas. Any speculative reason as to why there haven't been any standouts among the rank-and-file over the last decade(?) or so?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I guess having the G.O.A.T. ready at all times to slap a digit to the right of the dash doesn't help.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Is there a database of Rikishi Win-Loss-Withdraw records? My google-fu is apparently weak.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Come on Hattorizakura! I don't believe in you but prove me wrong! You're only 21, you have plenty of time to improve. 2 of your 3 career wins happened over the past year (and a half).

I took some time to check some things out.
~ His first win was against Sawanofuji in the 5th match of the latter's career. Sawanofuji's record is 42-113-2. Hattori has wrestled Sawanofuji more than any other Rikishi. Sawanofuji holds a career record of 9-1 against him after losing their first encounter.
~ His second win is against Houn, whose career record is 23-71. Including Sawanofuji above Houn is one of only 3 Rikishi Hattorizakura has wrestled 6 or more times. Naturally Houn's record is 5-1 against him. Unfortunately no video seems to exist of this match.
~ His third win is against Soga, who is a relative newcomer to Sumo with a record of 15-22 (which is by far the best record of the 3 men Hattorizakura has beaten). Soga has only wrestled Hattorizakura once. That's right. Hattorizakura actually has a winning record against somebody.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 15, 2020

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So empowered by a newfound fascination with Sumo I decided to see how Akebono's life turned out after Sumo.
I might have cried a bit.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

anakha posted:

Perfect time to repost these old clips of all of Akebono's matches with Takanohana (one of the two greatest Japanese yokozuna of the modern era):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLFYuyJTxGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ipBrvlIR6c

Compare his level of tsuppari/hand thrusts to those of Abi and Takakeisho.

Back then, you pretty much had to win back-to-back bashos to get promoted.

Gods it's like fighting the Chrysler Building and winning (sometimes).

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The discussion in this thread is leading me to speculate that Sumo's history of mulching the Rikishi is starting to catch up it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

rare Magic card l00k posted:

That said, I can see there being a lot of pressure put on whichever of Hakuho or Kakuryu lasts longest to keep going until someone rises to Yokozuna.

Just picturing a broken-down Hakuho sticking it out to finish with a 5-10 Basho and silently daring the Elder Chaos Gods to push him to retire.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Awwwwww...

Hattorizakura is 0-5.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Oh come on Hattorizakura! You were fighting Sawanofuji! You had this. You beat him before. He was 0-5 too!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Another 0-7 for Hattorizakura. Y u no Sumo.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wait, the macaron is an 'every time' thing?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Because we've been bred to be killing machines from the time we were single-celled organisms.
Even when the ability dulls, the hunger remains.

Also is the loving president of Japan's tobacco industry sitting at a table judging the honor of others? Holy poo poo gently caress that guy.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Does anybody have any particularly inspirational stories about a prominent Sumo suffering a massive career setback and having to prove himself all over again?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Oh Gods Terunofuji's story is exactly what I need. Now I need to figure how to tell the story to somebody who knows nothing of Sumo as somebody who doesn't know very much about Sumo.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wait, Terunofuji came THAT close to being eligible for Yokozuna?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I meant to say that before his injuries and freefall Terunofuji shot up the ranks, kicked rear end, took names and peaked with 2 Top 4 finishes in a row as Ozeki. I knew those weren't going to qualify him for Yokozuna but just from looking at the numbers it seemed like he had a shot at it in the future. Then injury riddled freefall. And then what happens once he gets healthy? Blows his way through the amateur ranks and gets the Yusho on his first Basho as a salaried performer again. You talked a lot about how miraculous it was that somebody with Terunofuji's rank could get the Y but just looking at the numbers I think the real issue is it's stupid he got busted down that far in the first place.