Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

This is my first ever basho and I'm easing my way in by just watching the big matches uploaded by Jason's Sumo YouTube channel but I'm loving it. I always liked watching it on TV as a kid when I was on vacation in Hawaiʻi and understanding more of it as an adult makes it so much more fun.

Enho is my loving guy and I will already die for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Takayasu getting a solid grip on the mawashi and just doing nothing for like 30 seconds seems to kind of sum up his whole basho. It's really weird coming in with this as my first because most of the ozeki and sekiwake kind of just poo poo the bed and both yokozuna pulled out.

Endo starting out flying out the gate and then just falling apart was a big letdown for me because I wanted to make him one of my guys.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Coronavirus. Stardom canceled all events on their schedule except for the Korakuen Hall show that will be an empty arena show with no fans.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Y/O: Hakuho / Kakuryu / Takakeisho
S/K: Endo / Shodai / Asanoyama
M1-5: Enho / Takayasu / Tokushoryu
M6-10: Tochinoshin / Takarafuji / Shohozan
M11+: Terutsuyoshi / Chiyomaru / Kotonowaka

This is my first sumo fantasy basho so my picks are based entirely on who I liked in January and the hope that Tochinoshin isn't totally washed.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

This basho is not going well for my team already. That's what I get for picking with my heart.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Can I trade Takayasu for Mitakeumi?

Either Takayasu or Tochinoshin were getting dropped from my team and at least Tochinoshin got me a point today and won't be up against all the top guys.

I don't watch all the matches of a basho because I'm still dipping my toes in, so I didn't know about Ishiura being built like a brick house and looking like a drip lord in his gold mawashi. Definitely going on the list of my guys.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

pseudodragon posted:

Could I do the same? I totally thought I had Mitakuemi since I was waffling between the two and forgot who I landed on. If Mita is full up, I’ll stick with the big hairy bastard since I feel bad for the guy and still want to root for him a little.

I feel bad for dropping my pinoy brother but at this point it looks like he is not with it. I'm wondering if he's hurt or suffering a crisis of confidence after the demotion.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

It's probably just not worth the risk of allowing an underhook or a belt grab if you don't have the insane handspeed and reflexes of someone like Hakuho. I was in awe and watched the video like ten times when I learned about him pulling off a nekodamashi twice in one match. It just seems like an attack that should be fake and not work.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Poor Takayasu. The match started and I thought of course he'd get a kinboshi the match after I trade him but instead he got a horrifying injury. Seeing him just lie there until they picked him up by his mawashi was really sad.

I'm starting to think that Enho needs that crowd to back him to get things going. Rough go for my favorite so far.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I was really pulling for Tokushoryu despite having Hakuho on my team and when Hakuho started sliding, I thought it was going to happen. Very good effort.

Relieved to see Enho finally get on the board.

Daiesho/Hokutofuji was fantastically violent

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Day 6

I don't give a poo poo about honor, I love a henka. It clearly takes a lot of skill and the one from Ishiura got a full on roll out of Tochinoshin. Sucks for Salt Bae that his didn't work and he looks dumb for trying though.

Asanoyama/Mitakeumi was maybe the best match of the basho for me. I don't know how Mitakeumi managed to stay in and reverse the position. Very glad I made that trade.

Tokushoryu getting the kinboshi was awesome. He won in January but you could always say he didn't have to beat a yokozuna to do it and this win felt like him asserting that he can hang even if the record doesn't show it so far.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Hokutofuji's faceplant was something else. I don't know how these dudes just pop up like nothing happened.

Kotonowaka has had a great start. I thought he'd come out hungry at M18 and almost picked him for my team. Wish I had now with the basho he is having

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Enho should be grateful he has short enough toes because that was such a close save. I was on the edge of my seat during that judges' conference.

I'm still new to sumo but does it feel like there's been a lot of henka this tournament? Even Tochinoshin pulled one out.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

The Asanoyama loss was a heartbreaker because anything less high amplitude and Kakuryu would have touched down first. Doing too cool of a throw could cost him ozeki if the grumpy old men are extra grumpy.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

As someone just getting into sumo, I’ve found Jason’s channel to be super helpful. I don’t get overwhelmed by the number of matches to watch and I get a sense of who are the big players in the sport. Plus, his excitement for Okinoumi is a delight.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Y/O: Hakuho/Kakuryu/Asanoyama
S/K: Okinoumi/Daiesho/Shodai
M1-5: Endo/Abi/Takarafuji
M6-10:Enho/Ishiura/Tokushoryu
M11+: Takayasu/Tochinoshin/Shohozan

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Finally remembered to pick up my phone and request a Kakuryu -> Takakeisho trade

Of course my team is off to a hot start. Glad I pick people for exclusively sentimental reasons.

Also gently caress YEAH ENHO MUSCLING AROUND A DUDE 200 LBS HEAVIER

Charles Gnarwin fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 21, 2020

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Well, I’m starting to feel like I cursed my guys by putting them on my team.

That Enho loss felt really weird in the moment and I half expected a matta.

Mitakeumi looks like a beast this tournament. I’m excited to see if he can keep it up and make a run at the yusbo and maybe ozeki. He’s been blasting dudes on the tachiai.

Ishiura failing the henka has me considering a trade and I’m generally pro-henka.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

What the everloving gently caress, Endo

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

That Enho win was wild. I counted at least four times where he should have just been thrown like a ragdoll but somehow he drops his hips and bounces around to just stay. My wife said he has “sticky feet” and it feel really fitting.

Abi dropping a whole tournament for a drink is just perfect.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

At this point, there no sense In trading so I’m going down with my lovable losers. Makes it more exciting when they pull off a win.

I have no clue what is going on with Endo. He just seems completely off.

Ishiura catching that trip was sick.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Enho got fuckin robbed. They were never going to give him that call and had to dig for a reason. It should have just been a rematch.

Tokushoryu weighs over 400 lbs and did a sick Enho impression. He was flying around the dohyo like a dude half his size. Great win

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Is anyone else really concerned about the open sores on Tochinoshin’s right shoulder? They look like they could be staph...

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Kenning posted:

I don't think they're protecting Taka, that was a pretty straightforward dead body. Mitakeumi was airborne and flying backwards due to Taka's attack and Taka's hand went down to break his fall. That's like, the definitive dead body call.

Also, Daiesho is now officially the giant-slayer.

I think the two dead body calls in a matter of days is what is giving that feeling. The Enho match was the one that felt like more bullshit though.

Speaking of my guy, seeing him win by a straight up yorikiri was really exciting. No tricks, just power.

Hakuho losing was a shocker but makes things way more interesting now that Asanoyama can beat him straight up on day 15 with no playoff.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I feel bad for Onosho but I also root against him in every bout. I just wanna see an anomaly, ya know.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

It was a really great tournament and I’m happy despite Enho having a bad showing. I think the rest really helped and every day had at least one wild match with huge swings. Fun action all around and our second Cinderella story of the year.

I’m hoping that September brings healthy yokozuna so that we can see how things shake out.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Liquid Communism posted:

Tochinoshin's back up to M4W!

That’s the biggest shocker for me. Let’s hope the dust in his knees arranges itself into a useful shape for another basho.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Y/O: Asanoyama, Takakeisho, Kakuryu
S/K: Mitakeumi, Endo, Shodai
M1-5: Terunofuji, Terutsuyoshi, Kiribayama
M6-10: Enho, Wakatakakage, Takayasu
M11+:Ichinojo, Kaisei, Shohozan

Definitely threw some new picks for me in hopes of not assembling another doomed team.

9/6 edit to drop Hakuho
9/13 edit to drop Ishiura that hopefully gets in

Charles Gnarwin fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 13, 2020

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Some really rough falls off the dohyo today.

Other thoughts:
- I hope Asanoyama can turn things around because it’s a bad start for someone who was being talked about as a potential yokozuna
- Endo gonna Endo
- Enho getting squished was a particular lowlight
- Takakeisho looked strong as hell

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I wonder if all the yokozuna run chat has Asanoyama feeling the pressure because it’s been a really bad start.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Endo winning with a leg in the air like a Rockette was sick as hell

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I’m going down with my lovely team like I do every time.

I can’t believe Terutsuyoshi went for the same exact trip on Asanoyama.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

RIZIN is a totally legit MMA company but they are also a Japanese MMA company so the freakshow aspect is still there, especially on NYE.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Isn’t Asanoyama still in it if both of the leaders drop a match and he continues to win? Same of everyone else at 10-3.

Such an exciting basho

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I don’t know why I irrationally hate Shodai, but I just do. He must be stopped and Tobizaru is our only hope. It was a bummer to see all the 10-3 guys drop matches, narrowing the potential playoff field.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Macaron is gonna be purple

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Really great basho even if all my guys let me down tremendously and my mortal enemy took the yusho.

I’m wondering how much Hakuho not even training affected Enho. Something’s got to turn around next tournament.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Please give me that tag. I was a day late asking last time and missed out.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

whats for dinner posted:

I knew it was coming but Ishiura dropping to Juryo is a real bummer

I’m hoping he runs roughshod on some dudes if the ankle is healed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Y/O: Asanoyama/Takakeisho/Nobody because I refuse to root for Shodai
S/K: Mitakeumi/Terunofuji/Takanosho
M1-M5: Wakatakakage/Tobizaru/Onosho
M6-M10: Endo/Terutsuyoshi/Tokushoryu
M11+: ENHO/Kotonowaka/Hoshoryu