Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

sivad posted:

Goeido is a bum, and I've irrationally hated him since he henka'd Tochinoshin in early 2018.

Same. The Enho match was still a little painful to watch. Goeido clearly doesn't have his head in the game.

quote:

Also down for a gangtag.

Also same. I don't post often but I've been following the thread for a couple of years at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

Edit: Watched some of the 2018 US Sumo Open, and I can't see the appeal. It just looks like bad catch wrestling with weird pants.

I feel this video explains both the pants and the appeal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXhVbxfmrYM

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Hmm. My schadenfreude turned bittersweet.

I don’t like the guy but I’m not happy about this.

Yeah. I disliked Goeido, but it's too bad to lose him like this. I guess he didn't want to face a hometown crowd as a Sekiwake, especially if his injuries made ten wins unlikely.

Since there are a bunch of new folks in the thread, I'll recommend one of my favorite YouTube sumo dudes, Chris Sumo (formerly Chris Gould). He's a long-time fan living in Japan, and he does videos with unusual subjects/approaches. His narration may come across as a bit stodgy, but I'm a fan of his content. Here's how he reported the Tokushoryu win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYnAjQWI60M

One of the things I was most curious about when I started following sumo was what (if any) meaning the rikshis' ring names had. Chris did a series of videos using the upper division guys at the time, and they're interesting history/culture lessons. Here's the first of those, which includes Goeido:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNxucbgRTKs

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Sure, I'll play this time.

Y/O: Takakeisho, Hakuho, Kakuryu
S/K: Shodai, Hokutofuji, Asanoyama
M1-5: Mitakeumi, Onosho, Abi
M6-10: Kagayaki, Sadanoumi, Kiribayama
M11+: Azumaryu, Chiyomaru, Meisei

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Day 5:

Tochi picking up and carrying Salt Bae almost out of the ring, but not being able to take those last couple of steps, was heartbreaking. He's still got all of that massive strength, except his knee, which is made of rice paper.

Glad to see Chiyotairyu back in the ring after that scary loud fall yesterday. Convincing and on-style win, too.

Disastrous day for my fantasy dudes - first, Azumaryu, Kagayaki, and Shodai all dropped matches, then Mitakeumi and Takakeisho were head to head. And keisho looked weak as heck, which is worrying. But gently caress trading to the GOAT, I'll sink or swim with my favorite fireplug Ozeki.

Speaking of Hakuho, agreed with the other comments - Tokushoryu did really well and nearly pulled off a win. His current score doesn't reflect his skill level, but then neither does his current rank. I hope he ends up around M10 after this basho as he should be able to thrive in that area.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

SHAME ON YOU ISHIURA

YOU DIDN'T EVEN NEED THAT WIN

...god that was sad to watch. :(

Poor Tamawashi is having a bad start to this basho. I hope he can pull out of this funk. He seems to be following a similar trajectory to Mitakeumi after his failed Ozeki bid.

Mitakeumi/Asanoyama was a great fight, really strong defense by Mitakeumi to pull out a win I wasn't sure he could manage. Both rikshi are at the top of their game, and I'm glad we got a long, technical fight out of it.

Great to see Tokushoryu get on the board with a kinboshi to boot! How often does that happen on a rikshi's second appearance in the top division? Not often, I'd bet. He should pull more wins in week 2 now that he's done getting beaten up by the sanyaku.

whats for dinner posted:

Natto killing it with the edits.

I lost it when the blue cushions started flying.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Y/O: Keisho/Kakuryu/Asanoyama
S/K: Mitakeumi/Okinoumi/Shodai
M1-5: Abi/Aoiyama/Onosho
M6-10: Tamawashi/Terutsoyoshi/Kaisei
M11+: Tochinoshin/Takayasu/Terunofuji

Building my portfolio of big, mostly hairy ex-Ozekis.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Lid posted:

shout out to the only man brave enough to not include Hakuho

Brave, or foolish? Time will tell.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

anakha posted:

Kakuryu: :ughh:

I watched that match and was like, "surely they'll spare him the humiliation and conjure some agency by Endo to win it..." but nope. Koshikudake. Ouch.

Asanoyama looked like a drat Ozeki. Met the charge, parried a couple of attacks, then finessed a win that looked easy. Really impressive.

Martytoof posted:

Takayasu looked..... unimpressive is being generous.

Yeah that was a pretty flaccid performance. On the other hand, Tochinoshin looked like he could at least hold a little weight on his paper knee. So maybe he's got a comeback in him?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Day 5:
Kaisei went down hard and grabbed his leg right after, I hope he's all right :ohdear:
Enho absolutely wasn't ready, they robbed him of a match (again)
Takayasu showed some unexpected signs of life. I never would have called him for that match.
Asanoyama fought from a disadvantaged position very well, he's at the top of is form.
Mitakeiumi Ozeki Run? He's fighting well, completely overwhelmed giantslayer Endo today, and he's looking unstoppable.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Brut posted:

He had both fists down first and then just didn't react to anything, that's on him.

I went back and watched the match again. His left fist never touches down - it's most clear on the after-match reverse angle. The slow motion makes it more obvious how slow his reaction was as well - Hokotofuji was fully upright and past the line before Enho even moved. That said, single-fist touches are frequently ignored by gyojis (except when they're not). Enho's been acting like he can't get his head in the game the last few days - he looks visibly frustrated after this one in particular - and I think this was a case of beating himself. But it's one of those bouts that could have been called back.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Trading Abi in for Hokotofuji.

Oh yeah, I should drop everyone's favorite party animal too.

Trading Abi for Kiribayama, because that way he's loving guaranteed to lose to Enho tomorrow.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

whats for dinner posted:

Hakuho just launching Kiribayama off of the dohyo was something else. Seemed especially brutal to me.

Kid's first fight against a Yokozuna. Gotta set expectations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Brut posted:

While Takakeisho hit the ground slightly sooner, despite being upright, Mitakeumi was flying out of the dohyo with no chance to recover, though I agree they probably should have at least talked about it, but that kind of thing typically depends on the one shimpan who's sitting on that side to notice that maybe something was close, they don't get access to the footage for the purpose of deciding whether or not to call mono-ii

Also, yes, they probably are protecting Takakeisho.

BONGHITZ posted:

mamma mia what an ending

I absolutely loved reading all the posts in here about how unstoppable Hakuho looks right after watching him lose to Daieisho. I probably would have posted the same thing before watching, but hey - it's a reminder he's aging, and not as fully dominant as he once was.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Teronofuji/Tamawashi: I thought someone was gonna get KOed. Tama didn't really know what he was starting when he slapped, I think. Tero was NOT amused.

Ishiura nearly achieved orbit with that ring exit. I hope he didn't injure himself landing half-on that stool.

Terutosuyoshi/Kotoshoho I was disappointed Salt Bae henkaed, but that was a pretty sweet move.

Asanoyama continues to be a goddamn beast. His balance is exceptional this basho.

Mikateumi may have broken Hakuho :ohdear: his heel slammed the tawara pretty hard.

I'm gonna laugh if we get another M17 winning the basho. And also cheer, because Terunofuji is great.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Really pleased with Tochi-kochi. And also with Teronofuji's excellent match. Sad about Enho MK, but hopefully he won't fall too far.

Is it just me paying more attention, or is it a freakin' blood bath in the bottom M ranks this basho? Tons of low-win records. Are we likely to see a higher than average churn to/from Juryo?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

:same:

I'm not sure I like the Abi decision. Mostly because of the comments that "maybe this will make him be a serious person," which is the last thing I want of our silly slappy boy. But if it keeps him getting paid to shove people out of the ring with bad footwork, maybe that's okay.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

This basho, I have chosen rikshi with as many syllables as possible in their names at each rank. In the case of a tie, I went with dudes I haven't picked before. I look forward to being squarely in the middle of the fantasy field like always.

Y/O: Asanoyama/Takakeisho/Hakuho
S/K: Mitakeumi/Daieisho/Okinoumi
M1-5: Kiribayama/Yutakayama/Terunofuji
M6-10: Wakatakakage/Kagayaki/Aoiyama
M11+: Kotoshogiku/Kyokutaisei/Ichinojo

Gonna cry if I can't get my six-syllable boy.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Kenning posted:

bartolimu

y/o: Asanoyama
s/k: Mitakeumi
m1-5: Kiribayama
m6-10: Wakatakakage
m11+: Kotoshogiku

Team Twenty-Six Syllables lookin' okay on Day 1. The Twitch stream is up for day 2 but I have to get up for work in six hours. Wish I could call in sick and watch it live. :(

e: Watched long enough to see Kotoshogiku's leg go bad and I'm taking that as a sign that watching my boys live is a bad luck charm, off to bed now.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 14, 2020

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Shame about my big broken ex-Ozeki, but given the circumstances Team Twenty-Six Syllables needs a sub.

Please sub out Kotoshogiku for Tobizaru. Team Twenty-Five Syllables will persevere!

On day 3 matches:
Wakatakakage deserved a re-fight there, that was a great throw attempt and they landed SO CLOSE to the same time. Good match either way.
Takarafuji is looking pretty strong so far, good technique on display. I'd like to see him rewarded with 10+ wins.
Mitakeumi looked like poo poo against Takanosho, I hope this isn't the beginning of another collapse on an Ozeki run. My heart can't take it.
Endo continues to Endo, though I can't really blame him against Shodai.
Takakeisho came in low and won the tachiai, but couldn't finish off Hokutofuji. That was a surprising loss.
Terunofuji TERUNOFUJI TERUNOFUJI TERUNOFUJI!!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I feel like Asanoyama was channeling Hakuho today, making a statement by hurling Hokutofuji out of the ring like that. Hopefully the statement was "I'm back, bitches" and not "Finally the elders gave me someone I can beat up on."

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

It looks like Onosho showed up this time. Let's see if he can keep it up going into the second weekend.
Enho FINALLY got one! What a great match.
My six-syllable boy is holding down more than his share in the wins department as well. Really good agility against Kagayaki.
I was excited for the battle of the ex-Ozekis and HOLY poo poo did it live up to the hype, what a GREAT throw. Tochi finally found something he can do with that busted-rear end leg of his.
Endo/Okinoumi was match of the day for me. A great protracted belt battle with multiple comebacks from the tawara. Great stuff.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I really didn't expect THAT much brilliance from Tobizaru, holy poo poo. I figured Onosho would just smash him out of the ring in a show of dominance but nope. Can we get another M1X basho?

Enho stealing the win at the tawara was hilarious. Even he looked surprised!

Wakatakakage continues to impress me by not being flattened by Chiyotairyu's tachiai. Just really good defense and opportunism. He's really living up to his six-syllable hype.

Tokushoryu has been struggling but looked good today, just straightforward megafauna sumo.

Aoiyama continues to waste his enormous bulk by trying to win via pulling. Kotoshoho turning the tables and making Aoiyama fly out of the ring was as impressive to watch as Aoiyama has been disappointing.

Terunofuji KK means he'll be bumping poor Endo out of Sanyaku after that reversal against Tochi. If he keeps winning he may even get Daiesho's Sekiwake spot if someone can hand Daiesho an 8th loss. I feel bad for Endo, but he'll likely be back up there before long - probably once the Yokozunas are fighting so he can unexpectedly beat them.

I really didn't like how much trouble Takakeisho had getting up after winning. It looked like his right arm just didn't want to work. :ohdear: please be all right fireplug Ozeki!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Kotoshogiku is definitely broken at this point, and I think it likely is his final basho. :( It was very kind of Ichinojo to treat him so gently, he's suffered enough.

Enho got straight up matadored by Meisei. It was a sweet move but I feel bad for the little guy.

Once again, Aoiyama tried throwing his much smaller opponent so many times instead of just going forward, and eventually he got pushed out. Good technique by Kotoeko but yamadude you weigh a ton just Go Forward. I can only guess his heavily-wrapped knees rival Tochinoshin's for power and that's why he fights backward so much, it's just a shame to see so much meat go unused.

Tochinoshin showed off why they put the loose sand around the tawara, which was nice of him :smith: Are we going to see two ex-Ozeki retirements after this basho?

Hokutofuji HOW THE gently caress DIDN'T YOU SEE THAT COMING HOLY poo poo

Shodai pulled off a nice win in probably the most important match of the day. Good job resisting Takakeisho's pressure and pulling a nice throw. This basho is the best I've ever seen him fight, and he's my pick to beat Tobizaru and Wakatakakage (who are both on my team, sadly) for the yusho.

Asanoyama may have started out badly, but that was some serious dominant big Ozeki sumo against Mitakeumi today. Very impressive. Shame he can't go back and pick up one of those three losses to be in the yusho race.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Earlier in the month it was sounding like Kakuryu might sit out November and (try to) come back in January. His coach said something along the lines of "he needs to perform when he shows up" but didn't seem overly fussed about him fighting in November.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

This month's drafting theme will be Round Bois. I picked the fattest, roundest rikshi at each rank according to my (probably flawed, definitely swiss-cheesy) memory.

Y/O: Takakeisho/Shodai/Kakuryu
S/K: Mitakeumi/Takayasu/Terunofuji
M1-5: Onosho/Daieisho/Hokutofuji
M6-10: Aoiyama/Tokushoryu/Miyogiryu
M11-15: Akua/Ichinojo/Kaisei

Team Round Bois, show no mercy! Crush them all beneath your collective bulk!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Lid posted:

who is rounder Takakeisho or Tokushoryu

Tokushoryu, I think, but only because Keisho is a big pyramidal meat slab while Toku narrows on both ends.

whats for dinner posted:

I miss Chiyomaru a lot :(

Same. Would be neat to try a fantasy Juryo draft too, now that Chris Gould has me aware of more of those guys. But that sound like a lot of extra work.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Wonder if Hakuho is doing that in solidarity with Kakuryu? He's clearly shown that he's healthy and in beastly condition. Perhaps that or he doesn't feel he's 100% and just wants to be ready for the Olympics ceremony.

Chris Gould suggested Hakuho might sit out to help protect Kakuryu from punishment by the council, so that's definitely a possibility.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I've started watching Juryo matches this basho for the first time, and there've been some really good matches. In particular, today Nishikigi won by lift-out - I wasn't even aware he could do that. Really cool. It helps that I recognize about half the dudes from their time in the top division, and a few more from Chris Gould's videos.

Round Bois don't seem to be doing so well thus far. But that's okay, at least my team is jolly.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Beeswax posted:

Trading is a sign of weakness of character*. I will stand by Aoiyama all the way to his inevitable 4-11 end.

*Unless due to injury

gently caress yeah, I'm ride or die on all my round bois.

anakha posted:

Oof, down to 1 y/o guy.

This means there's gonna be a bit of bunching up since everybody will be sharing Takakeisho's record.

I think those of us who chose Takakeisho first should get 1.5 points per win to reflect our excellent judgment and taste.

...because with the way Onosho is no-showing and Mitake starting to suck those are the only points I'm gonna get this tourney. :(

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The boys down in Juryo were breaking out the rare kimarite today. Ura managed an Izori (backwards body drop), and Chiyootori pulled off a kubihineri (head twisting throw). There was also a super-long fight between Akiseyama and Shohozan that was great fun.
Also in Juryo, Naya came up from Makushita to cover and made it to 3-0. One more win and he'll be salaried next basho!
On a less happy note, Kotoshogiku is 0-4 and it's not looking good for the old guy. :(

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Well, I called it, but I'm not happy about it. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLrEfogYKKk

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

TOBIZARUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Man, two days in a row of hard fought marathon bouts for Takarafuji. Dude is gonna be hitting the chankonabe hard.

Edit: Hokutofuji too, drat.

Yeah, I could practically hear Takarafuji thinking, "I'm getting too old for this poo poo" after that. Poor guy looked even more gassed than yesterday.

And, once again, TOBIZARUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Juryo: Grandma Roundboi Akiseyama is 7-6 at J1, just one win away from promotion at 35 years old. He's been M16 before and I wouldn't expect much more from him this time, but it's pretty cool to see an old dude still pushing around those young whippersnappers.

Makuuchi:
I can't be mad that Chiyomaru got kk, even though he cost my roundboi Akua a loss. Looking forward to maybe seeing his pea green belt in the top division soon - though a J4e he's gonna need more than 8 wins to pull it off this basho.

Poor Enho. :(

Aoiyama may be my roundboi and I'm ride-or-die on him, but I took no pleasure in him denying Hoshoryu kk today. He's gonna want that fight back, poor guy.

Endo on the receiving end of some matador poo poo from Chiyotairyu. If you're gonna henka, at least make it look good like that.

Hokutofuji is easily the best-conditioned guy in the tournament. Just a beast against Tokushoryu despite having marathon fights three days in a row. Give this man a Fighting Spirit prize!

TobizaruUUUUUUUUUUU! That cheeky little kick actually worked. Hoping Takayasu can still kk. :(

Teronofuji "Hey Ryuden, I'm gonna take your hand of my belt now and there't nothing you can do to stop me. K, bye." Just dominant once again.

Mitakeumi is, once again, Mitakeumi-ing.

Shimanoumi the madman actually tried to push-fight Takakeisho and almost managed it. Not bad for an M11. Hopefully someone can bring down Keisho so they have a rematch playoff.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

My theme this basho is Lost Causes. It'll make sense when you see the draft list.

Y/O: Kakuryu, Shodai, Asanoyama
S/K: Taka"no show", Mitakeumi, Takayasu
M1-5: Tochinoshin, O"no show", Endo
M6-10: Ryuden, Aoiyama, Kagayaki
M11+: Ichinojo, Kaisei, Sadanoumi

e: since Kak withdrew and we don't know who else will be required to sit based on PCR tests, just give me the highest dude on my list who's still in the tournament on start day. I doubt there'll be so many sitting that I run out in any category.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 8, 2021

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Marching Powder posted:

takakeisho has to be cheering. this is his shot.

If he manages to win, I bet the grumpy old men will hem and haw about promoting him unless Kakuryu actually put up a fight.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Gonna touch of death him since he's not on my team Daieisho yusho, he's handled three drat Ozeki in three days with relative ease. He's just a beast.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Can we talk about what the hell happened with Endo? My first basho had him beat both yokozuna back to back (punctuated by the cocky tongue wag after beating Hakuho) and now he’s just messing around in the middle of the maegeshira ranks. My theory is that the lack of yokozuna in the basho saps his power but there must be something else at play.

Endo is a bit of a giant slayer, yeah, but he fights up or down to the quality of his opponent. He'll grab kinboshi left and right, then go 2-7 against mid-Maegashira guys to end up barely pulling KK. It's annoying at first, then endearing - like that feeling you get every third fight when Ichinojo wakes up and actually does something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

One of the many things I like about Ura is shown without comment in the last shot of that video. During the pandemic, he's been courteously declining to use the towel. One or two other rikshi have been using the towels but avoiding their faces, but Ura's the only guy who skips even touching it. I don't know if he's always taken a pass on the towel since I haven't been watching him for that long, but it strikes me as a smart move right now.

One thing I miss most by relying on Natto's digests is the little touches of personality the rikshi add to the pre-match rituals. Tochinoshin bull rushing his own corner, Takayasu doing a big grunting muscle-man flex, all of those little things. He still shows Teru's salt bae routine, but it's rare to catch anyone else's little quirks.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 5, 2021