Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hi new people. Jump on the Enho and Takayasu bandwagon.

Let's see how well this post ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Let’s get this party started!

Y/O: Kakuryu/Takakeisho/Goeido
S/K: Takayasu/Abi/Daieisho
M1-5: Enho/Tamawashi/Mitakeumi
M6-10: Tochinoshin/Ryuden/Onosho
M11+: Kagayaki/Ikioi/Sadanoumi

I think that’s correct. Let me know if I need to adjust.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mekchu posted:

I'll hop onto the Fantasy sumo train without much research other than "Hakuho is great"

Does it matter if I pick all guys from East or should I have a mix of East & West Rikishi for my fantasy?

Until you get to know which rikishi you follow or whose style you like, just pick the guys with the funniest names. Or do what I do when you have no one in a range that appeals to you: pick a random name.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

PYF Hakuho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoiEcW3Rp1k

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Disappointed we went two pages in a new thread before posting awkward rikishi hakkeyoi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgOrTbCSV4Y

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 7, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There's probably not enough sustained activity to warrant that IMO. Old thread was mostly active when the banzuke comes out and immediately before/after the basho. And also when a rikishi does something stupid, of course.

Also I kind of used the old thread as a reminder that the banzuke came out and to get ready for the next basho. If there's a new one I will likely just forget tournaments are about to start altogether. I don't know if I'm alone in that but I just don't pay enough mind to Sumo when it's not on to remember that dates are coming up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

More disappointing than Takayasu’s loss is the fact that he just looked slow and aimless. Not looking good for my big dumb hairball.

Or my fantasy hopes, for that matter.

Enho, at least, keeping me entertained.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I only post about Takayasu so let’s keep that going. Ineffective. Luckiest win since it was basically a draw. Shouldn’t ever have gotten to that point. No toxx but I don’t see him regaining Ozeki and unless he gets his head in the game and/or heals up real quick then he’s just going to stay middling until he retires.

Or maybe he pulls a Tochinoshin and rises like a phoenix.... before coming back down to earth again. But I’m just being pessimistic now.

Loved that Endo Hakuho bout. That’s what Sumo should be about. Loved everything about it. The cocky little AW YISS face Endo made too lol

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The shimpan and expensive ring side seats ARE the padding :ssh:

Mekchu posted:

I'm genuinely hoping I can go catch the Fukuoka tournament in November since it's only a 60minute flight from where I am.

If you get the chance, definitely go. I went last May and had an amazing time. Showed up right at the start of pee-wee sumo and stayed through the end and it was great. I did get a little bored with the baby ranks so I got out of my seat and went around to explore the kokugikan. The building itself isn’t that large, but they have some tasty food to sample, and plenty of fatman souvenirs to buy. I bought everything with Takayasu’s face or handprint on it.

I’m going again this May and I’ll try to get tickets for the later days, but I probably won’t show up until Juryo starts this time around.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 14, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

May is also an awesome time in Tokyo. The weather has been amazing the last two years I went. Out of luck for cherry blossoms but no heckin oppressive humidity to deal with.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Me, this basho:

:confused:

Wat in the heck. Don’t get me wrong, this is shaping up to be one of the most entertaining since I started watching, but...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mekchu posted:

Hey Martytoof could you share how yoh go about getting sumo tix? A friend here in Korea said the only way he could go was via a tour group because tickets weren't available to buy when he tried to get them on his own.

Yes, absolutely. Other posters were on the dot with the link from the Sumo official website which ends up taking you to

http://sumo.pia.jp/en/sumo01.jsp

And also the caveats that you have to hawk these literally the second they go on sale. I actually got off transit and sat down at a McDonalds at like 9 at night just to be sure I would get my tickets, and even then it was dicey.

Here's advice and observations I can give based on my own experience, which is somewhat skewed since I was buying tickets to the first Reiwa tournament so demand MAY have been higher:

- The site crashed almost immediately under load. Unresponsive, not loading, timeouts, etc.
- DON'T try to get around this by loading the site in different tabs. If you make progress on one tab it somehow interferes with progress you may be making in another tab. I had a great ticket in progress of checking out in one tab which timed out, so I tried to proceed in another tab while this one was refreshing, only to realize that when the new tab picked a ticket it destroyed the checkout process on the other tab. I'm being vague about details because this was just an observation and not a detailed analysis of the underlying checkout process.
- If you have to multi-tab it, try instead to maybe use 3 separate browsers since your progress may be cookied and that may get you better results.

BUT having said all that, the entire process took maybe 20 minutes, and while I had a lot of problems and stress I did get decent tickets.

All the downsides I've heard about ticket brokers are that you get seats in the nosebleeds, that you are typically seated in a block surrounded by other tourists, and the inflated prices. I can't comment on the nosebleeds part, but the Kokugikan isn't huge and while I did enjoy having a closer seat I doubt being a little further back would kill me. Tourists? I was seated next to an American family anyway, so I wasn't really rubbing elbows with native Sumo fans. Prices were likely cheaper but I haven't looked into broker pricing. Obviously they will be higher since they don't do it as a charity. Having said that, if I paid more for my tickets *and* I had nosebleeds, that would definitely sour me on broker experience.

I'll be trying for a ticket purchase again for this May, since my Japan trip puts me in Tokyo from the 19th on, so maybe I'll try to document the process for fun.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Theoretically we could split into a N/V thread for discussion and questions, and a big two-week GDT for individual basho. This seems like a lot of effort for little payoff that spoiler tags can accomplish though.

Arguably you could say that people who haven’t watched just shouldn’t be clicking the thread, but I think that’s a little unfair. If I have a question or want to talk about some kind of event or happening that isn’t related to the day’s results I shouldn’t have to wait until I get home to watch after a busy day where I couldn’t steal 20 minutes to youtube.

Just my two cents though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Takayasu's Ozeki return is all-but done, and Goeido is in big trouble too.

But Takakeisho is looking real, real good, and Terunofuji is looking incredible so far.

im calling it, but maybe now with no pressure to maintain ozeki he’ll get his head in order. He hasn’t been showing ozeki wrestling this basho. Heck, it hasn’t even been too maegashira wrestling. He’s just looked bumbling since day one.

Maybe in a few tournaments he’ll mount a glorious comeback. Who knows :q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

pseudodragon posted:

Now that everyone has at least half a tournament under their belts, has anyone taken a shine to any of the guys that don’t get as much attention for? Like salt bae and Enho have won some fans, but is there anyone you find yourself rooting for whatever random reason?

I’ve always had a soft spot for Kagayaki and I’m really happy he’s having a great tournament just because when I first started watching, he wore a shiny gold belt in the ring so he was the first of the non-stars that I could easily recognize and pay attention to.

Also a Kagayaki fan. Also I really have a soft spot for Chiyomaru. Mainly because when I first started watching sumo he was the guy that stood out as "holy poo poo, he is literally just a ball with arms and legs".

Conversely, has anyone developed any irrational dislikes? I dislike Goeido for no good reason other than I think he's really bland for his position. But wait until Ichinojo makes it back to top ranks -- that's when you'll start to hear me complain about boring sumo.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 20, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ichinojo was just the definition of "I'm going to lean on a guy who can't move my 900lb frame" :mad:

If collapsing on a rikishi and crushing them was a valid way of winning I'm pretty sure he'd just do that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I confused Aoyama and Kaisei for the longest time.

I kept calling them by each others' names.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Brut posted:

GOIEDO :frogout:

he just forgot how to sumo altogether

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Let’s play a dumb game. Where does Takayasu rank after this basho?

I’m saying M8-9 and being optimistic.

M9 just to nail down a number I guess.

Yes yes factors etc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m not gonna lie, Enho is making this a really enjoyable basho for me. I’m in the dumps about Takayasu sucking this much but at the same time I’m enjoying the little dude tearing everyone apart right now.

Also enjoying a very-much-non-zero amount of schadenfreude from Goeido imploding as well.

So far the good outweighs the bad, and this more wide-open competitive stuff is what I’m guessing we’ll be seeing a lot more of once Hakuho hangs it up. Kakuryu still going to hang around I bet but even he’s showing the rust now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe it’s time for a...

TRAINING

MONTAGE

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lmao my jaw hit the ground when the thing happened

you know the thing

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Great basho, and I’m thankful for the influx of new fans.

Looking forward to new new banzuke :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. My schadenfreude turned bittersweet.

I don’t like the guy but I’m not happy about this.

We’re decimating the upper ranks. Wondering what the halfway point of March will look like. Possibly no Yokozuna, one Ozeki.. Not that it really hurt this Basho. Was a lot of fun to watch.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Brut posted:

Goeido will become the 14th Takekuma-Oyakata.

70th Yokozuna Harumafuji (at the time Komusubi "Ama") vs Goeido, 2007:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPO39qtj1Vk

Man I miss Harumafuji :[

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ve read the wiki on Kabu and the JSA as a whole probably four times now, and every time I put the page down I feel like I understand less than when I started.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

And the shitposting. Don’t forget the sumo shitposting.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bentai posted:

The Hakuho/Enho match wasn't as ferocious as I expected, but then again, why was I expecting Hakuho to go ham against a stablemate for a non-basho event? Still it was grand fun, and I'm glad to have seen it

Yeah I’m preeeetty sure Hakuho would have destroyed Enho in a real bout with something on the line.

But why not make his stablemate look great on TV, knowing you’re on your way out anyway.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, Natto’s production quality was really high too. I’m really shocked they’ve gone after him vs the other streamers who have remained untouched... for now?

If I have to go back to NHK summaries I’mma be an unhappy fellow.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I thought I remembered NHK World showing daily recaps at like.. 5pm EST. But I use their streaming app.

And anyway, I got so used to watching Sumo first thing in the morning when I get to work that I’m not sure I can go back. Also the lack of commentary (which I can comprehend) is a blessing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Related, I’ve been looking at iSakura IPTV as I’m trying to subscribe to all-japanese-all-the-time immersion to help with my language study. If I can get Sumo then I’m probably going to do that. $160USD/yr for a subscription and then I can cast from my tablet to AppleTV.

Strongly leaning to this anyway, maybe I’ll guineapig it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

M4 Enho does my heart glad :3:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Diplomat posted:

As long as he doesn't monetize it, he should be good. We'll see.

I wonder if a patreon type relationship would still sour NHK on having Natto do recaps. I'd probably kick in a few bucks a month to have awesome, well produced Sumo in my feed every morning for two weeks.

I'd give the money to NHK first if they only provided the same, but here we are.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Agreed. They just closed schools until April so I think the writing is on the wall. If it's televised I'll be super happy still, but I wonder how it would affect the rikishi's performance in the ring. I have to believe they feed off the energy vs just practice bouts in isolation.

I guess we'll see :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That is, in fact, the ask. I guess I shouldn't have phrased it as a done deal yet, but I mean, this doesn't sound like a "request" when it comes from the government so I assume it will happen.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200227_47/

quote:

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has said the government is planning to ask all elementary, junior and senior high schools and special support schools in the country to shut down from Monday, until the start of the spring holidays, in a bid to reduce the risk of students catching the new coronavirus.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

He has a wife and kids there, doesn't he? I think it would be his logical next move anyway.

Or am I thinking of someone else?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Whoah that’s ... unexpected.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think I heard Fantasy was a go earlier, just want to get my picks in before I forget to check the thread:

Y/O: Kakuryu/Takakeisho/Hakuho
S/K: Asanoyama/Shodai/Endo
M1-5: Enho/Takayasu/Tokushoryu
M6-10: Shohozan/Takanosho/Tamawashi
M11+: Kotoshogiku/Ikioi/Shimanoumi

Picking between Enho and Takayasu is a straight up Sophie's choice here..

Here's the banzuke in case anyone wants easy access to picks:
http://sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/index.php/index.php/

Y/O:
Y - Hakuho, Kakuryu
O - Takakeisho

S/K:
S - Asanoyama, Shodai
K - Hokutofuji, Endo

M1-5:
M1 - Daieisho, Takayasu
M2 - Okinoumi, Tokushoryu
M3 - Yutakayama, Mitakeumi
M4 - Enho, Abi
M5 - Ryuuden, Onosho

M6-10:
M6 - Myogiryu, Kagayaki
M7 - Takarafuji, Tamawashi
M8 - Shohozan, Kiribayama
M9 - Takanosho, Tochinoshin
M10 - Sadanoumi, Tochiozan

M11+
M11 - Chiyotairyu, Terutsuyoshi (you try typing this at 7am quickly before your first coffee of the day)
M12 - Ishiura, Ikioi
M13 - Kotoshogiku, Aoiyama
M14 - Kaisei, Nishikigi
M15 - Tsurugisho, Chiyomaru
M16 - Azumaryu, Shimanoumi
M17 - Meisei, Daiamami
M18 - Kotonowaka

(again, sorry for any misspellings)

And the template:

Y/O:
S/K:
M1-5:
M6-10:
M11+:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Charles Gnarwin posted:

This is my first sumo fantasy basho so my picks are based entirely on who I liked in January and the hope that Tochinoshin isn't totally washed.

This is my umpteenth sumo fantasy basho and I'm still using the same method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As always, thanks for taking the time to run this!