Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rigel posted:

Asanoyama went for degeiko at Kisenosato's stable, and faced ex-kisenosato 17 times. The result: 1-16. yeah....

Just makes you think "what could have been"

Mekchu posted:

I'll hop onto the Fantasy sumo train without much research other than "Hakuho is great"

Does it matter if I pick all guys from East or should I have a mix of East & West Rikishi for my fantasy?

All East or all West or a mix, it doesn't matter. Sometimes I've picked wrestlers because I like saying their name.

Fantasy picks:

Y/O: Hakuho/Kakuryu/Takakeisho
S/K: Asanoyama/Takayasu/Daieisho
M1-5: Kotoyuki/Enho/Okinoumi
M6-10: Takanosho/Yutakayama/Ishiura
M11+: Kiribayama/Ikioi/Tsurugisho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

I don't follow Sumo but I do have an odd question.
How is Hakuho received in Japan? Beloved legend, foreigner who rankles traditionalists or full "If this was the Tour De France the governing body would do everything in their power to negate his career"?

It is a bit of a mix, manga artist and huge sumo fan Mitsuru Yaku critized Hakuho for the way he collects his prize money (and probably for the way he breaths in and out), I love the little arm swing he does. Most common fans seem to like him. I'm not 100% sure about this but The Sumo Association seem to have a bit of a strained relationship with him. But they both need each other so while Hakuho will get away with light punishment for some transgressions he knows not to push it too far. In conclusion peoples reaction to Hakuho is a land of contrasts.

This is a great win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbyd-4hybWk&t=154s

I thought this was a great bout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb-tcNgYc18&t=251s

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

For people who are interested in true sumo ephemera, this is a wonderful interview with an Isegahama tokoyama (hairdresser) from 2006.

That was pretty cool, these little tidbits really help flesh out the sport.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kakuryu would be great in SAS he's a big sports fan.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Roller coaster of emotions today. Loving Enho.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Looking at the Kiribayama/Kaisei bout, it was a great effort by Kiribayama to win that one.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ilmucche posted:

So everyone sandamme and up get paid? If there's constant movement between the divisions how does it work if a guy is getting promoted/relegated every tournament?

Only the top two divisions the Makuuchi and Jūryō are salaried, they are also the only divisions that have their rikishi fight 15 bouts a tournament. If you drop from Jūryō to Makushita then you don't get a salary plus you no longer get all the perks the status of being in the Jūryō division brings like not having to do chores, being waited on etc... As you can imagine the top of the Makushita division is pretty competitive.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Endo beating Kakuryu today gives him a permanent pay boost correct? It's his fifth gold star he'll be raking in the bucks at this rate.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mekchu posted:

Endo right now

He is an absolute boy this basho.

Kenning posted:

Also, bessantj since it appears Kotoyuki is out injured I just gave you third-choice Okinoumi instead, as a free trade to count before day 1.

You're a star, if only Okinoumi was as good as you.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This basho has been amazing so far.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

Hakuho kyujo. Get your trades in, y/o ranks are gonna have no restrictions, since there will only be 2 options between Takakeisho and Kakuryu.

I think both times I've had Hakuho he's gone on to get injured and pull out. I'll swap him for Takakeisho.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Man my picks are doing so badly.

Asanoyama and Takakeisho especially have got to be thinking they can take this basho.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Those gang tags look awesome. The complete opposite of my picks :saddowns:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Brut posted:

Day 7:
That was not a henka by Tochinoshi, Takarafuji was way too low Tochi didn't even have to move anywhere.edit: fixed weird typo wtf is loud.

Yeah, Takarafuji was extremely low, I don't know what he was going for but I don't see what else Tochinoshin could have done.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Did a full on fist pump when Enho won today that was a great win for the lad, twice I thought he lost it when his head went below his hips but he was having non of it. Good to see Ura in Jonidan and Terunofuji in Juryo undefeated.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I know it was Goeido but I don't care Enho beat an Ozeki!!! And I'm not that angry that Shodai beat Takakeisho even if it does make my score worse :(

I'd love the gang tag.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

Awwwwww...

Hattorizakura is 0-5.

But Ura is 5-0. There are five people in Jonidan who are 5-0 if they all end on 7-0 Sunday will be a busy day for play offs. Can't wait.

<-- sweet tag!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

pseudodragon posted:

Unfortunately they set up the lower division matchups based on same same record rather than close in ranking so they'll have the 5-0s face off and eliminate each other as much as possible.

Ah, that seems sensible.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ura is 6-0! :D

Also loving Enho right now, that was a great win!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Brut posted:

Well his first time pulling out he came back at Sandanme and got a 6-1 followed by a 7-0, if he was suddenly doing poorly in Jonidan this time around there would probably be no reason to ever expect him to climb back up. I think the Makushita grinder is gonna catch him again in about 3 Basho, unfortunately.

I'm crossing my fingers he can make it back to Makuuchi.

anakha posted:

While waiting for the next day's matches, here's a blast from the past, featuring baby-faced Hakuho and Tochinoshin hoisted by his own petard.

^^ Great video.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hyped that Enho is one win away from kachi-koshi. I won't be able to see it as it happens tomorrow but I can on Saturday and Sunday, looks like it will be an exciting last day.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Imagine that Enho bout being the first sumo bout you ever saw.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This will be the fourth basho Enho has had a winning record in. He has Daieisho tomorrow, who he beat at the last basho. Can the little wonder get a 10-5 record?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This Basho has been fantastic, I can't wait for the final day.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mitakeumi, Okinoumi, Shohozan, Takanosho, Chiyotairyu, Azumaryu, Ikioi and Kaisei are all on 7-7. Their match ups are:

Chiyotairyu - Kaisei
Takanosho - Ikioi
Okinoumi - Azumaryu
Shodai - Mitakeumi
Endo - Shohozan

Going to be bouts to look out for.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Brut posted:

this is just a big container of mushrooms I think

I think they're shiitake mushrooms, at least that's what I think I heard the man giving the presentation say a couple of times. No doubt they'll stick that with the meat and veg and tuck in.

That was a great basho and a great final day. Couldn't be more thrilled for Tokushoryu, even with the two Yokozuna out it can't have been easy to go 14-1. That final bout against Takakeisho really showed some fighting spirit. He really deserved all the various trophies and nodding boar with beer on its back? that he was given.

Ura won the play off as well :D

Can't wait for the next sumo rankings.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

anakha posted:

Regardless of today's results, a good question to ask (and maybe Kenning can field this for bonus fantasy points next basho) is what rank does everyone predict Tokushoryu attaining by the time March rolls around. I'm guessing M4 at most, as quite a few guys in the upper ranks did well enough to move up themselves.

Yes, I agree with that or perhaps M5. Kotoyuki was injured and Tamawashi, Mitakeumi and Myogiryu were all make-koshi which should leave room for the likes of Shodai and Enho to rise while giving room to Tokushoryu to get in the top 5.

Has there been a rikishi who was injured for the first few days of a tournament but then returned and won it?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

Final Results

code:
Bentai		52
bessantj	45.5
fisting by many	52
Kenning		51
Marching Powder	33.5
Martytoof	46
Mekchu		38.5
ratmosphere	43
Rigel		42
Robviously	56.5
Scythe		37
sivad		29.5
Spokes		37
Thauros		41.5
Congratulations to Robviously for a very convincing win, getting a kinboshi and a special prize from Hokutofuji, and just one make-koshi from Daiesho, who was only 7-8. Special mention to sivad who got a make-koshi from every wrestler he drafted, and only got a kachi-koshi from the automatic Takakeisho trade after both yokozuna pulled out. I've been there buddy!

Great fun all around, I'm very pleased with the move to Rowdy Ringsports. Can't wait for Haru!

My picks! :qq:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I didn't realise how long Goeido had been an Ozeki, 33 bashos. That's a pretty decent chunk of time.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nattosumo has given us a wonderful little gift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsYVjCffiWs

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

old men crave power

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Brut posted:

I'm going back and watching some older Basho and just look at this Banzuke from July/Nagoya 2012:

Just looking up Kotooshu's record and he was Ozeki for 47 bashos before dropping down and retiring, that's pretty amazing. then you look at Hakuho and he spent 7 bashos at Ozeki before becoming a Yokozuna. That's what winning two bashos in a row will get you. Here is Hakuho getting the victory that gave him Yokozuna, crowd was hot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m7binbgGmE

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just had a look at that channel I got that video from and if you're interested in sumo history he has bouts reportedly from:

And...

As well as a lot of videos from the lower divisions.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress it cut off before old rear end enho won

What is interesting, if you go back and look at Araiwa's (old rear end Enho) record. We're used to 10-5 or 8-3-4 records. But Araiwa had a finishing record of 6-1-1-2d and Genjiyama had 2-2-1-2d-3a and they're not unusual records for that time. I'm not sure what they all mean beyond win/loss though. Araiwa managed to get to Ozeki rank.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

anakha posted:

For those not too familiar with this small corner of the sport, here's some shokkiri.

Think of this as the Harlem Globetrotters but in mawashi.

That was pretty good. Very daft.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

He looks so happy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gjpxkaVJxw

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bentai posted:

https://twitter.com/tachiai_blog/status/1225403461648494595
There is a chance we could see an Enho v Hakuho bout in the third round.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thauros posted:

kintamayama came out of retirement to post a digest of the event https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnjjZCew20U

That was a lot of fun, the Hakuho/Enho bout was amazing even if it doesn't mean that much in the grand scheme of things.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Chris Sumo did a vid on the one day tournament and the Junk Sport sumo show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDmbbZXA5iY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH5raDvGMHs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The dignity befitting a warrior.