Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean logically the US title match would be on like the Miami show, but I suppose that depends on if Big Tony is cool with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

KENTA is SUCH A poo poo. It's incredible.

Also Mox needs to lose the title before February 29, for obvious reasons.

Well, yes, it would be a shame for him to drop both the US title and the AEW belt in one match to THE KING.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Let's pretend, hypothetically, that I pay attention to no wrestling outside of Japan at the moment. What's happening on the 29th? Is Moxley superstitious about Leap Days or something?

AEW PPV where Mox is probably challenging for and winning the AEW title off of Jericho.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I've been given conflicting information. The first is that it will be a big show with all the titles defended called Strong Style Evolved and the second is that it's the G1 opener. I've also heard London as the G1 opener so idk it's all speculation.

The timing for the G1 plus how well Royal Quest went in the building would make running night 1 at the Copper Box a pretty straight slam dunk IMO. The majority of the crowd was hardcores who would know what that means so you wouldn't need Ospreay or ZSJ practically handing out tickets outside the arena like Archer had to in Dallas.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MJeff posted:

Apparently Naito got surgery to fix his oblique and was wrestling with really bad dizziness and double vision for most of 2019?

He talks about it a bit in the pre-WK interview they put up on the website.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Allegedly Showtime are interested in MLW, I would really hope that New Japan at least have feelers out because the big shows are gonna be a much more attractive prospect for a premium cable network in terms of looking big time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
KENTA vs Naito, Intercontinental and World Heavyweight titles on the line, but the most important stip, the man who wins gets custody of the loser's remaining functional knee, bringing him up to 2 whole knees that work!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TriffTshngo posted:

GOD I WANT THIS TAG TEAM AND/OR STABLE SO BAD

Tana and Ibushi win the tag belts, Mox and Shooter are the first challengers at Dominion.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

Will red shoes ever officiate an IWGP title match featuring his son as challenger?

I think you could easily get an angle out of Red Shoes stopping a match when someone like a Suzuki or ZSJ has Shota in a hold and the young man getting mad because he wasn't giving up and was nearly at the ropes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

an_mutt posted:

Ibushi's been doing this killer mode for a while - didn't he do it against Nakamora at WK9? He also did it against Ishii in G1 28, and then against Kenny in the triple threat match a few months afterwards. I'm missing a bunch of other instances.

To be fair, the version he did at WK9 was more in line with Nakamura's own disdainful stiffing that he would do in big matches. Half-stomping, half-wiping his boots on his opponent.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

So... badly? :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
KENTA clearly jealous that Naito can still wear his hair like that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gnossiennes posted:

i'm shocked they didn't use general. i had strabismus surgery a couple years ago (which sounds pretty similar to what he had), and went under general and tbqh i don't think you could pay me enough money to agree to do local for that. :stonk:

Oh god absolutely (same here) and while it's a relatively short recovery time, as far as wrestling surgery goes, it's still no fun.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's one thing to be a wrestling hipster, it's another to literally not know your own boss's tag partner...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The best part is reading the thread from WK14... and then watching it and listening to Gino basically echo everyone here in losing his poo poo. The timekeeper bangs the bell in the classic 'stop pls' signal and Gino just screams "THEY'RE DOING IT NOW IT'S A MATCH THE BELL RANG OHMYGOD"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Benne posted:

Even he can't believe there are people who want to hang around him

Wrestling Superstar Personality Guy YOSHI HASHI

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

He looks like in an eternal state of jet lag

What's his excuse when he looks like that in Tokyo?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I was hoping this was what it turned out to be, thank you friend Low Desert Punk.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
His promo work is decent but veers pretty close to the 'Bully Ray sexually harasses fans' offensive at times, however his in-ring work is pretty bad, tbh. I compared him to The Miz, and I stand by it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
With regards to the GOD tag title win, I think the idea was never to do FinJuice vs Tana and Kota, but to set up GOD vs Tanahashi and Ibushi. (The original line up had the Golden Aces vs GOD in Florida the day before the title match)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Suzuki's also incredibly smart in that he knows that when he does poo poo like this, it's funnier to just play the whole thing straight from his end. Like fighting Yano or the Mecha Mummy. He's always 100% The King, no winking at the camera.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

It's kinda amazing how you can tell Suzuki's still a drat handsome man here because he's not doing the constant snarling he does when he's working in the ring.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I don't think the match will be great, sorry. I'd be thrilled to be wrong.

Seriously, watch any of ZSJ's series with Ishii (yes, i realise Ishii is the best wrestler in the world, so obviously they're good) to see how he works with a guy that does similar stuff to Mox.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

First time I saw ZSJ wrestle was last year's Wrestle Kingdom with Ishii and it was such a clash of styles that it became a natural David vs Goliath story. I've never seen a man counter in such a grapplefuck way before and I became an instant fan (of both, because Ishii seemed like he was literally made of stone).

That was like their 4th or 5th match in the prior 2 or so years, and something about them just clicks. They had a match during the tournament that crowned the US champion and the pop when Ishii made it to the ropes to break one of Zack's wacky holds was insane.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This is violence

At least Taichi has Miho and cool hair, poo poo
Taichi also oddly has a strong style gear he can kick it into with guys like Ishii, Goto and Shingo, which is actually really good. It's just that, much like SANADA, he phones it in a lot of the time. (SANADA I think is one of those guys where you can 100% tell if he's going over in a singles because if not, he's so clearly checked out)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MJeff posted:

I'm trying to imagine how doing a Rainmaker could make a hole like that and I am not seeing it.

He said he threw his little brother into the wall, so I assume he lost his grip on the ripcord and kid slammed headfirst into wall, thus hole.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If it wasn't for the Ospreay/Shingo match seeming to be tailor made to set up William the Thrilliam challenging for the NEVER title, i'd say he's a shoe-in to win the whole thing. I suppose he could make the semis or finals and lose. My assumption since the rumours of the October London show started is they put the IC title on him there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

My mistake about Cobb, for some reason I thought he was doing both contracted and the ROH deal ending made it easier to move on to this on a longer basis

Supposedly Cobb is very keen on working with New Japan, though, so AEW are likely offering him the Mox/Jericho deal for that reason.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Given the response in the US has been worse than Japan (and Japan's government response has been terrible from too little at the start to way too extreme right now) I'd say that may not be an option

JapaneseLaw.exe

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's bad but seems better than ignoring cases in Washinton State till you get a death and a report of over 800 and welp it's close to BC

Oh not denying that, just that Japanese IP law and drug law is basically the same story: really lax until they notice it's a problem and then they go a thousand percent the other way.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The rumour has been going around a while but it got dropped in the Super-J Cast discord which has like 800 people so no point in sitting on it, but supposedly the reason Kota Ibushi signed with NJPW over AEW and doesn't speak to Kenny much any more is because apparently Matt Jackson's wife didn't cut Ibushi in on the merch money from the sales of the Golden Elite T-shirt and when Ibushi found out, Kenny ostensibly sided with the Bucks and defended it.

Of course, take it with a massive pinch of salt as all rumours but the funniest part of it is that the people who heard this rumour all claim to have heard it from Chase Owens.

Chase on the case once again

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Chatsuya Naitalk

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

Where Hiroshi Tanahashi failed Joey Janela is the hero we always needed

You don't need an Ace to break the rules, you need a Bad Boy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

fadmonkey posted:

I remember reading that Kevin and Chris were adding English commentary on older matches. Have those been released?

Yeah, looks like a bunch are up. If you're in browser, just scroll down to the English Content carousel and there's a bunch of matches after the newly subbed interviews and docs. Watching Shibata vs Naito from G1 25 right now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Should've taken pic of dog with belt. Either the IWGP or AEW one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

Spending my quarantine Saturday watching the Omega/Okada trilogy. It's real good y'all.

e: also, it's really weird seeing Gedo seconding Okada since I started following in 2018.

It's one of those Heyman/Punk or Heenan/Bockwinkel situations where Okada's a good enough promo on his own that he doesn't NEED a manager, but Gedo's also a phenomenal hype man. I still love the ZSJ/Okada build where TAKA and Gedo did duelling catchphrases.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't think it works without the alchemy of them both, really. Gedo's 'different level' catchphrase just takes on a different meaning with Okada

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

Just because I was going to watch it anyway and I wanted to stay in chronological order, I made a pit stop with Golden Lovers vs. Young Bucks.

Holy poo poo what a match :cry:

Another case of Matt Jackson being a dick because Kenny has a new/old friend that's not them. But the spot where Omega hesitates on giving Matt the OWA and Matt just grabs his arm and hooks it over the neck and basically yells "GET ON WITH IT MOTHERFUCKER" like he's Stringer Bell is one of my favourite bits of in-ring storytelling ever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not crazy in thinking NJPW should be aggressively negotiating for a US TV deal if the rumoured one with Vice isn't signed yet? The ability to have fresh or even as-live content is gonna be a hell of a selling point in the next few months.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

extradite THIS! posted:

I can't believe we're under 15 hours away from what'll be the series finale of pro wrestling as an art form: Minoru Suzuki doing stuff at Ichigaya Chocolate Square

If we actually get Minoru interacting with Lulupencil that'll make up for the Minoru vs Orange Cassidy match not happening

MiSu vs OC better happen once the plague has receded. I honestly don't know what would be better, Suzuki playing along with the weak kicks, or OC going full on with the elbow strike exchanges in the home stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

With the sad irony being that if they locked down properly early on they might actually have been out the other end of it by now in time for the Olympics to still happen.

Nah, the Olympics were never an option and they were deluding themselves. Even if Japan gets the epidemic under control, any kind of event requiring massive amounts of international visitors congregating in large groups is basically gonna be a no-go in most of the world for a LONG time. Possibly until a vaccine or at least an effective drug therapy for COVID exists.