Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
No seriously it sucks
Yeah
No it's cool
I have a disability so it's actually pretty great
Stop being such a whiner
View Results

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
Home automation is really stupid unless you have a disability, in which case it's cool. Otherwise though it's dumb. I don't know why tech companies think I want to yell at my furnishings all the time to make it work, or have to unlock my phone just to turn off the light in my room. I'm just going to get up and turn it off, it's right over there. Most of it you have to go over to it to use it anyways, so I'm just going to work it there. TV remotes are nice I guess, but I can't think of anything else that gets a pass. Also the spying poo poo most of it does but whatever, smart phones do that and they're actually useful. I hate home automation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

ASenileAnimal posted:

imagine a fully automated home but its groverhaus

Adds in a set of sensors so that if he comes home from work at exactly at 6:23 fireworks shoot out of the shed's mystery pipe.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

GolfHole posted:

actually its really really cool if you use it right

basically like star trek irl

there have been a lot of these threads lately and i seriously suspect y'all just dont know what you're doing

I dunno, I thought Star Trek was more the exploring space and solving space problems then the having to talk to a computer to get a glass of water. I also just hate having to do that weird half-shout you have to do to make sure the thing understands you.

GolfHole posted:

*hands full of groceries, shoes on, coat on, just got in from work*

hey google i'm home

*lights come on, music plays, house starts to warm up, coffee starts, tv queues up peep show, etc*

Some stuff like the thermostat coming on at specific times to save money is good, I'll give you that.
Why are you watching TV and playing music at the same time?

r u ready to WALK posted:

It can be both stupid and cool OP

I've wasted so much time setting up https://www.openhab.org and https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge but now I can talk to my wristwatch and magically open the garage and my mailbox sends me a push message on my phone every time someone opens the lid and a lot of other stupid crap that doesn't make life any easier but gives me something to do on a weekend making sure it all still works

You can have a look at http://demo.openhab.org:8080/habpanel/index.html#/

What a hobby to have. How many tallies do you have for people trying to peep through the mail slot?

HerniaFlange fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 7, 2020

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

A piece of home automation I could get behind is butler robot, I could tell them to bring me a pop or give me a hug because I'm sad or help me build a TV stand or something. I would also be cool with a robot arm that I could mount to my couch and have reach into other rooms and stuff to do things, I mostly just want it so I could pick up and move people who walk in front of the TV though.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Pawn 17 posted:

It's not even just that consumers don't know how to secure it. It's also that the companies making "smart" household items NEVER update their firmware and for the most part don't really care about security when they are rushing out products as cheaply as possible. So once an exploit is found it will not be fixed.

So home automation is going to lead to more cyber terrorism, is what you're saying.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

LabyaMynora posted:

Sounds like you just want something to jerk you off.

Listen pal. You're right.

Chinatown posted:

wheres the fuckin Goku option OP?

poo poo, I knew I forgot something. Mods?

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

bird with big dick posted:

I can hit my cat in the face with cat treats while I’m at work

Okay you convinced me, it's good.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Richter Scabies posted:

There was like an 80s movie or something where this architect tries to impress this girl by automating his house controlled by his computer but his computer gets jealous and it turns into some kind of reverse home alone and the name escapes me. Well bye

drat it I know the movie your talking about, that's the one where they play poker with the house robot and it has a robot arm holding the cards up to the room camera, right?

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Ah, I found the movie about the jealous house AI with the terminator arm mounted to the ceiling! It's called Homewrecker! I hope this doesn't count as :filez: given how old the movie is, also I can't find a trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLhJnFccTCU

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

celewign posted:

The flip side of this is my dumb rear end. I bought one, not realizing I have a stay at home mom wife and two kids under two in the house. Our best has basically learned to always keep the house at 72, all the time.

God forbid my wife need to wear a sweater.

If that's how you two raise your thermostat, imagine how your kids will turn out. They will also always be 72, your children will soon be very old for forever.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Three Olives posted:

I can turn my car air conditioning on with my watch, I can change my bed firmness with my phone, my house HVAC turns on automatically when I start heading home and I can order my groceries to be delivered while I am cooking with my voice, I'm not going to live like an animal when we have a better way.

You better be careful, one day you're going to roll over on your phone while you're asleep and drop the firmness all the way down so you sink in and fall through and the monster under the bed can get you.

Also you better be tipping that grocery delivery driver.

Also also none of you were supposed to click the whiner option, don't be weiners.

HerniaFlange fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 8, 2020

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Woden posted:

Samsung's new up-skirt robot that follows you around the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwi_U-g3wA0

Ballie seems kind of clingy.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Chinatown posted:

yeah dogs will totally love these

No idea what you mean, dogs are known for their hatred of moving balls. Despise them really.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Yes that is the sound of me throwing a ball away from my dog so it no longer has to be near it.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Chinatown posted:

im not buying any of this garbage until theres a toilet that can weigh and track my shits

Toto needs to get their proverbial poo poo together IMHO.

You could probably get one of those German/Dutch toilets with a shelf for poop inspection and put a scale on it.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

The_Continental posted:

I believe that the mere presence of these devices and seeding the thought that "I can purchase anything with my voice" puts people into a sort of "shopping mode" that's usually reserved for when they log into their amazon account, or are in a shopping center. I just feel that there is this insidious psychology to it. We've reached the point where utility is ultimately meaningless and supply is infinite from the vendors perspective. The only thing left to do is maximize the consumers desire to consume.

It's basically a harbinger of the cyberpunk hell world we are going to live in or probably already do except its not raining all the time and always night.

I'm sitting in an armchair under the end of a conveyor belt. "Alexa, cheeseburger." The belt activates, dropping a cheeseburger into my mouth, which I eat.
"Alexa, cheeseburger."
"Alexa, cheeseburger."
"Alexa, cheeseburger."
"Alexa, cheeseburger."
"Alexa, cheeseburger."
"Alexa, cheeseburger."
"Alexa, cheeseburger."
For all of time. There is no more except cheeseburger.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Grevling posted:

Home automation will be the final nail in the coffin of the noble profession of housewife.

That might be a good thing though, based on this article that really really really doesn't take a lot of things into account.
https://jacobinmag.com/2019/09/andrew-yang-universal-basic-income-ubi-betty-friedan-feminine-mystique
UBI without a lot of other regulation being in place is still not a great plan though.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Three Olives posted:

Oh, that reminds me, now that more manufactures are integrating home automation into their TVs you can get up to leave the room and say "Hey Google, Pause Den TV" and it will just do it.

It's really nice.

This is another thing I hate, I don't want to have to talk over the show and wait for the second or two it takes before it finally pauses. That will never not annoy the poo poo out of me. Voice commands for searching are cool because I don't have to type the listing in with my remote, but that's also assuming the thing isn't some weird spelling and pronunciation I'm not aware of, or it actually hears me correctly.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Three Olives posted:

It automatically lowers the volume on the TV when you say "OK Google".

Three Olives posted:

It's not a voice remote, the TV plugs into the home automation system so it controlled by your existing Google Homes/Alexas.

It's functionally the same on both counts. I can not talk over a single second of Letterkenny, they talk too fast.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Computer, play Pulse Demon at max volume in Ted's room. Little poo poo is going to learn to get up in time for school in a hurry.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Home automation is ideal for entertaining your animals eerily capable of imitating you.
Also they need to hang out with Super Abe-Chan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQsBLiB90Hk

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Burt Sexual posted:

We drink sometimes 3o

Have you considered not drinking? I heard it helps a lot with not being dumb. Full disclosure: I'm dumb and not drinking doesn't seem to help.

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

this is the greatest thought anyone has ever had

I'm just a
Cheeseburger In Purgatory

HerniaFlange fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 9, 2020

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Bioshuffle posted:

Will we ever see an era where speech recognition tech will be able to overcome speech impediment?

I had to give away my Alexa, but I'm just wondering how much more advanced the tech has become.

Aren't those supposed to pick up and adjust to your speech patterns? I guess that might depend on the impediment though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You know what, a lot of good points were brought up in this thread, I think I'll give it a try. I really hate dealing with the speech recognition and having to yell to make sure it works right so I got a headset to help with it. I can't figure out exactly how to connect it though, and the manual's pretty useless, just keeps going on about how I can use it to watch TV or play games and the sound comes through them, which to be fair is pretty nice but not much use if I can't hook it up. Does anyone else have one of these, and if so is there a trick to getting an Echo to recognize it? Does it even support it?