Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Looks like Nonviolent J's days delivering chickens to the Forrestfield Red Rooster are over

Ahahahahaha gently caress me sideways, I often work just up the road and occasionally eat there for lunch, though thank gently caress that cafe thing 2 doors down has supplanted it since they do passable sandwiches.

Airstream Driver posted:

Thanks for the Japan suggestions everyone.

This looks loving awesome.
There’s two TeamLab exhibits in Tokyo, Borderless is the permanent one and then Planets is nearby, though that may have ended in October and rotated to a new display?
I went to Planets but all the TeamLab poo poo (e.g: in Singapore) I’ve seen is incredible.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Yeh I did Planets, it was heaps fun. One of the exhibits was also showcased in the Singapore temp exhibit I saw.
Make sure you fully explore the LED strip room to find the iPad controls, and make sure you wait out a full cycle in the water room. That’s the most I can say without spoilers I guess.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Implement the old E/N rule where you had to compare your problems to the plight of Darfur child war orphans before you got to gripe about them.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Holy poo poo.
Also, I miss John Safran vs God.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

McSpergin posted:

I'm actually stoked and shocked at the same time that NSW is only now getting on board with the registration of engineers. Not like they have got the highest population in the state and one of Australia's most densely populated cities within their borders.

Couple that with the "yeh she'll be right" attitude of tradies in NSW and the push to get buildings built ASAP and I'm expecting to see more opal towers in the future

All the states besides Qld have been sorely lacking for ages. It makes doing work across state borders difficult.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Glasses with masks suck

Thank you for attending my TED talk

get some double sided medical tape to stick it down to your cheeks

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

gently caress me sideways I hate having to always trudge through someone’s life story just to find a recipe on a website. Who even reads that bullshit? It can’t be a worthwhile use of their time.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

Also my brother pulled his switch out for the first time in like, two years and shut off after two minutes and now it won't turn on again, so Nintendo can't really be that polished in the end.
On the other hand my original beige brick gameboy that I got in the mid 90s when I was about 10 years old still works so maybe it's just your brother.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Humphreys posted:

Then ya discover Gladstone and wonder if they saw Rockhampton at the design stage and bet they could make it worse with even less services. At least Capella has a nifty waterpark!

Gladstone’s the loving worst because the founders were clearly braindead and chose to build the CBD right on the edge of the coast so it inevitably only had one direction the city could expand. This has resulted in the CBD being completely disjointed from the city’s actual population centre of mass, which sits well inland from it. As a result, everyone just sticks to suburban shopping villages and the like rather than the CBD actually representing the centre of the city and thus where people congregate. Because of this, no one ever goes into the CBD except out of some sort of time-honoured obligation that companies must be based there because it’s ‘the CBD’, so the whole place is empty and run-down.

It’s loving depressing staying there for work and trying to find places to eat of an evening. It feels absolutely destitute. You walk along dead streets, past endless empty shops that haven’t been given a lick of paint since they were built like 4 decades ago. No other regional town I’ve visited feels like that.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Townsville actually suffers from this a bit too, insofar as the Palmer St / Flinders St area goes, however it’s got the advantage of a much bigger population so it’s not as apparent. Larger cities sort of manage to get away with it a bit better I think.

The Cowboys Leagues club and The Ville both being in that area probably helps too, sad as that is to say, but their very existence is a function of the bigger populations well.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

well why not posted:

lol some of this applies to Sydney CBD

Yeh I’m not by any stretch claiming it’s only a small town thing, just that bigger cities escape it to some degree because the dislocated CBD becomes just another satellite precinct.

In Sydney’s case the aggressive lockout bullshit has atrophied the CBD to the point of near-death. But yeh, why travel from Parramatta to the CBD for a night out when there’s local bars?

The issue is especially egregious in Gladstone though because of the general state of the city is already bad and then this just amplifies it.

Anyway I’m glad I finally got to actually apply this observation in discussion. I’ve been kicking the theory around in my head for a while now and I think it holds a fair bit of weight.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Can you link a gangtag back to a post? cause it's gotta link back to that post

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Blow posted:

The tree bent over and deposited me on the ground safe and sound.
so you fell but bounced

Carlos Lantana posted:

a swearing generator hits paydirt

A colleague of mine was drilling some new fencepole holes on his acrage a couple of years ago and didn't realise a previous owner had removed a fence some time in the past and just buried it all a little bit beow the surface. The hole borer grabbed the fence wire and managed to rip it up around his ankle. It did not end well for him, but thankfully he didn't lose his foot, probably because he was wearing his work safety boots. Instead after they glued all the bits of his foot back together he got a little trolley to kneel on and roll around the office on.

Hole borers scare me.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Jestery posted:

One of my bugbears of modern life is toothpaste

Not that I have to use it, a clean mouth is a great thing

It's that toothpaste tubes are entirely non recyclable

Like I am unable to easily access ethical oral hygiene

I've bought some tablets of toothpaste online and will report back

There was one of Those Instagram ads that I think was about toothpaste that came in a water-soluble tablet form like those no-packaging dishwasher tablets. I didn’t really look at it or click through though.

I just did a search for “toothpaste tablet” and got a bunch of results. It even looks like toothpaste tablets in pill form are apparently a thing.

I think you’ll be paying for it though.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

These storms are fuckin' grouse ngl

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

lol out loud

Seriously though gently caress Twitter.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

McSpergin posted:

I took one side of the axe up to 2000 grit today and it's nice but there's still micro scratches and at this point I'm wondering how to get rid of them or whether I should

It’s an axe, the first thing you hit will scratch it up.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Wizard Master posted:

I’ve lost so much respect for our Aussie diggers today

Lest we forget runs both ways.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

XTimmy posted:

Been a while since I've seen a huntsman in my house, kind of glad, hopefully he'll take care of the cockroaches this summer.
https://i.imgur.com/qYQrqOj.mp4

oval office how fuckeyed are you when you stumble home on a friday night and try to lock your door? It looks like it's been on the receiving end of some methed out western Sydney footy fans.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I had a cheese and chutney toasted sanga, some berry yoghurt with crumble on top, a nice slice of frittata, and washed down with a nice cappuccino, all thanks to the Qantas team before my flight to Perth 🦘

Got a beef and stout pie with some ded ‘orse on the plane for lunch which was bloody grouse.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I’m spending the weekend camping down near Donnybrook and it’s been great. I came over to Perth for work for the week and my mate was going camping so I stayed the weekend and gatecrashed. It’s a good crowd here. We had smoked beef rib tacos.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Sydney to Hobart cancelled.

"The yacht club said it was unrealistic to proceed with the race as restrictions would require all competitors, families, race management and staff to quarantine for 14 days on arrival in Tasmania."

aka

"We couldn't get on the piss for a week when we got there"

They should've just seasteaded all the boats together in a flotilla of offshore booze- and coke-fulled debauchery, then sailed back to Sydney afterwards. You could heli-drop the swimwear models in as necessary.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Like.. I know.. but how the hell do we stop people doing stupid poo poo and setting us back months every time.

Execute everyone who walks slowly in public or doesn't keep to the left. Everyone who remains won't do stupid poo poo and will be respectful of the rules. Guarantee it, it's the one common denominator that separates poo poo people from decent people.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Bill Posters posted:

13% Russian imperial stout report.

It's 3.8 standard drinks of chocolatey deliciousness.

I gotta wrap presents after this and the last beer was 9%. We shall see how this pans out.

I also got the Canvent. That was a great finisher. Cheers to a great calendar again!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Zazi posted:

thought the frangipani coming in looked nice, had my partner stand near it and took a picture that turned into a gif for some reason.

iPhone live photo? It's a nice pic!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

:420: postin’

Im playing Titanfall 2 for the first time right now actually. So far it’s been an entirely linear FPS and is feeling quite samey. The weapon play is basically just halo bs and doesn’t feel all that much like they have any sort of oomph behind them.

I’m pretty sure I’ll finish it out of obligation and then never think of it again.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

loving Gladys won’t lock down after she was trumpeted as the “gold standard” by the federal pissflaps and it’s going to gently caress us all at this rate.

Who would’ve thunk that trying to manage a constant trickle of Covid cases would eventually slip up and result in an outbreak? And then when it does, you’re primed to try to corral it rather than doing the safe play and so gently caress about for too long until it all gets out of hand.

It’s like having a stream of fuel on fire, racing towards a tonne of explosives, but then you try to stop the flame from reaching the explosives by regulating how quickly the stream flows, rather than just extinguishing it.

Bulldoze Sydney into the ocean and start again.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I'm at the point where I'm on-and-off tossing around the idea of just dropping my cover to minimal hospital cover and self-insuring.

I'm paying about $180/mo (I'm in the no-rebate tier) for mid-level hospital and low-level extras. For extras, this gets me:
- $200/year optical, which I at least use at the moment
- $400/year dental, which I should use more than I do but even still two checkups a year would get me at best about $250
- $300/year physio/chriro/etc. that I never use
- $150/year pharmacy that I only barely scratch because most of my meds are on the PBS and thus don't attract any rebate

I sometimes think I may as well just pay for the minimum required to not pay the MLS and then pocket the difference for when I do need extras cover. It's to the point where I'll basically have to buy glasses just for the sake of it to extract some value, and I don't really like that sort of consumerism for consumerism's sake.

But then on the flipside, my $180/mo is like $145 hospital and $35 extras, so at best I'd save ~$400-450/year if I kept the same hospital, or I could reduce my hospital and bank on the fact that my relatively low-risk lifestyle means I won't clean myself up downhill BMXing or something, which at best gets it down to about $100/mo and thus save about $1k/year.

I really don't know how private health insurance as an industry plans to survive for much longer. Anyone who doesn't need it for the tax writeoff must look at it and just wonder why they don't pocket the $1200+/year as savings for hospital expenses, especially considering that in many cases you end up with a substantial out-of-pocket anyway due to the excess levels required to get fees down that low (like $750). Not to mention that if push comes to shove, we've got a solid public health system backing them anyway.

It really feels like it's at that tipping point where the MLS + lifetime health loading + rebate tiers for middle-income earners are just enough to make people bother with it, but if it keeps rising like it has over the last decade that very quickly won't be the case. And as soon as the exodus starts, the economics of providing cover for the 'value' they currently offer quickly becomes impossible.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Sydney is a mistake. gently caress them for probably ruining my Gabba test. They deserve to have their test taken away from them as punishment for being a poo poo city.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Airstream Driver posted:

Oh wait does this mean I don't have to see my in-laws tomorrow? gently caress yeah.

It's saved me from an extended family birthday. It cost me a boardgames night but I think it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

IronClaymore posted:

Also, shoutout to Brisbane who got their University of Queensland vaccine trial cancelled. Personally, I'd have taken their vaccine, false positives be damned. I'd take all the vaccines, I don't care. They say 2 shots a month apart is the best, how about 8 shots each a month apart?
To be fair, it's fairly standard process to yank a vaccine that does that, so I don't really blame them for pulling the plug, even in the current environment, when the pack-leaders are showing such promising results. Yeh, we could've used it, and it was showing good protection, but when there's other options on the table there's not really a downside to shifting away from it. CSL, for example, has pivoted to pumping out herculean volumes of the Oxford/Astrazeneca one - I think they're contracted to produce 50 million doses of it locally this year? They were originally on the books for producing 30m doses of it, and as I understand the additional 20m is from the UQ vaccine capacity that's no longer being used.

Besides, can you imagine the antivaxxer cunts latching on to the idea that you're injecting people with HIV? Jesus loving christ that would be a nightmare to deal with.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Roast pumpkin owns.
Roasted sweet potato owns. Sweet potato chips own. Sweet potato mash can be ok but is sometimes too fibrous and stringy. Depends on how they've grown.
Roasted spuds of various varieties own, but kipfler are particuarly good.
Mash is ok, but it's really just a vessel for butter and fat into my arteries. It's better when you mix pepper and worchestershire sauce through it.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 9, 2021

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Fanelien posted:

roasted sweet potato is just discount roast pumpkin, it's okay. sweet potato chips however are totally awesome IF you can manage to get them crisp. You get them at the fast food chains and they're a soggy, disappointing mess but if you manage the appropriate amount of witchcraft and have them crispy but not burnt they're great.
Some places I've found lean in to not being able to crisp them, and instead sort of give them a spice dusting/coating that fries on and itself instead becomes crispy. That's a good way of overcoming this issue.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Checking out is vastly less important than checking in. At worst, you can give them an estimate of when you left and get a test. Vastly better than if you don't check in, end up catching it, and they can't trace.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Here is a great article on how the Covid shutdowns forced some people to go without the pokies and actually reflect on what it was doing to them. Over the duration of the shutdowns from March to June, gamblers had saved about $2.5 billion from not having access to their vice. In 3 months.

What a disgusting loving industry.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

The road to FIFO wealth is paved with the remains of countless people who thought they'd get into it for only a few years to set themselves up, decided on an amount of savings where they'd call it quits, and then got the golden handcuffs. It's usually one of two ways: either they find their lifestyle creep enough to absorb the income and never get to that amount of savings, or they find themselves changing the amount because there's always a higher peak on the horizon.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

That was one of the most brokebrained ideas even by this brokebrained government's lofty standards. It's going to put substantial added strain on our pension system in the next few decades, when it's probably going to be even more hosed than now.

e: as the thread points out, there's going to be some sweet deals on 2nd-hand boats, etc. in a few years at least.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 21, 2021

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Laserface posted:

couldnt you pump extra money into your super up to a certain amount to then pull out as a deposit for a home?

i'd do that, if it was pre-tax income.

bee posted:

My knowledge might be out date but afaik there's usually big tax penalties for pulling super out earlier than retirement age, and also you have to ask the government for permission to do it. When my dad had terminal cancer my mum was trying to pull money out of her super so they could go on holidays together before he got too sick to travel and it was a shitfight to get it cleared.

There's the First Home Super Saver scheme which is what you're thinking of. You put in voluntary contributions (up to $15k/year and $30k total) which you can then get a tax rebate on, and then you can redraw it at the time of buying a first home.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Mum's making roast lamb and I'm having a coffee against my own rule of not drinking it past about midday.

I took Friday and Monday off to spend the extra-long weekend down in the Hunter Valley visiting wineries with mates. Whilst it was fuckin' hot, it was pretty grouse and I got to see some mates from Sydney I'd not seen in 9 months. Can recommend the Hunter as a good winery spot, just avoid the big names with the screaming hordes of wasted white girls and you're golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Isaac posted:

Im flying from ACT to coolangatta (QLD) direct on sunday then getting picked up and driven to near byron bay (NSW). Do i need to do any special covid stuff

ACT to QLD is fine, but you'll need a border pass if you've been in NSW at all between 1am on 11 December 2020 and when you enter. Even if you've not been in the hotspot at all, and even if it's more than 14 days prior.

quote:

Any person who has been, or will be, anywhere in the state of New South Wales after 1am on 11 December 2020 is required to apply for and receive a Queensland Border Declaration Pass prior to entering Queensland, regardless of their age.
If you have, you'll need to apply for a border pass.

Assuming you're not then heading back from Byron to Coolangatta before 1am on Monday 1st, then you'll be fine for the return journey as from 1am on Monday 01/02 you won't need a border pass.