Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SlowBloke posted:

On a different tangent I got a new feature mentioned in my local cinemas, with Werner herzog interviewing Gorbachev. It’s going to be a limited release for just a handful of days on full almost-dvd pricing. I’ve seen it was already distributed statewide as “Meeting Gorbachev”. Have anyone here seen it?
Yes, it’s unfortunately not that amazing. It’s basically “pleasant chat time with Gorby.” It’s been a while since I’ve seen it do I don’t remember any of my specific criticisms but Herzog doesn’t really push him about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
City 40 is a documentary about the closest city to Mayak; it’s worth tracking down if you want to see how the Russians are continuing the fine Soviet tradition of sweeping this place under the rug.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

drgitlin posted:

It’s a really good documentary, if it’s the one I think it is.

I have no idea how I watched it; was it on a major streaming service at some point?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Valtonen posted:

Multiple ones. The issue was that as the stockpile grew and ”counterforce” target list got larger they started adding important avenues of attack and mobility corridors that needed to be taken out. Especially near arctic circle these included rural bridges and highway junctions which would be the only passages for hundreds of miles to go from Soviet russia to NATO-country Norway.

While we’re on the topic of nuclear weapon books, Fresh Air had an interview with Fred Kaplan yesterday about his new book The Bomb: Presidents, Generals, and the Secret History of Nuclear War. I don’t know how legit Kaplan is or anything about the book, but it sounded interesting.

He did mention how under (I think) Bush senior some guy in the administration went through and drastically reduced the amount of nukes needed simply by getting rid of the absurd overkill built into the plans. Same overall objectives, just without the “hey let’s hit this airfield in Siberia that’s only usable 1/4 of the year with 17 nukes to be sure” stuff.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xakura posted:

They should really just get Don Rosa to draw those

Don Rosa retired due to severe vision problems so probably not

Seems like more of a Richard Scarry joint anyway but he’s dead

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Schadenboner posted:

I don't think you're allowed to have bugs on patches though?

Like it's in the Constitution or some poo poo?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The YF-12 was designed to counter super fast bombers like the Sukhoi T-4 (roughly the Soviet B-70), not slowpoke Tu-95s. I’m not sure how a F-106 would have faired against one of those. Of course that plane didn’t make it past a prototype either.

shame on an IGA posted:

Wright-Pat has one, it's weirdly creepy in person. Something about the smooth vaguely biological lines abruptly terminating at that inlet cone really trips the ol' HR Geiger switch

Like a lot of planes at Wright-Patterson, I think they have the plane, not a plane. The other survivor seems to have been turned into an SR-71. Phone posting otherwise I would include a picture of it I took.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MrYenko posted:

Whats the life expectancy for something uninvited flying above a CVBG to drop guided gravity bombs on the carrier? Thirty, forty seconds?

What do mean “above?” I don’t think it would get anywhere near it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
“The product”

The documentary was pretty upbeat, but apparently the Tu-95 barely escaped the explosion and had a 50% estimated chance of crashing. I wonder if an M-4 could have been used instead. It’s over 100km/h faster according to Wikipedia and the crappy range shouldn’t have mattered for something like this.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Wikipedia also said there were plans napkin fever dreams to make a 150 megaton version that could be strapped to a Proton :stare:

Edit: read that wrong, it might have been even bigger:

quote:

An example of this would be the creation of the N-1 orbital combat rocket (GRAU index 11A52) per the Resolution of the Council of Ministers issued on 23 June 1960. With a starting weight of 2200 tons and a nuclear warhead weighing 75 tons, its estimated nuclear yield (though unknown exactly) could surpass that of a 150 megaton-yield 40 ton warhead delivered by a UR-500 missile.

david_a fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 23, 2020

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Stravag posted:

This is tanks not air power but which one of you wrote this? https://horseformer.blogspot.com/2018/02/tankom-1144-p1000-ratte.html?m=1
That’s Nebakenezzar

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DekeThornton posted:

I just came across this clip och some old A32 Lansen training footage. Apologies if it's been posted before. Some pretty neat low level training footage and plenty of glorious sideburns. They sure did have a different attitude towards pilot safety back in those days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o36NXomDUE

No one really talks about Lansen, I’m guessing because it’s pretty boring looking compared to the other SAAB jets. Was it a competitive plane?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

It’s worth tracking down this documentary on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iknh6sQtDnM

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Ignoring the budget debacle, is HMS Queen Elizabeth actually a good ship? Too early to tell?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Swedes never exported the Viggen so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say despite what's possible in DCS, the computer didn't have a non-Bork Bork mode for prideful American tourists.

I know in the map you only entered the last few digits of the GPS coordinates because it was never expected to operate outside of Scandinavia so the significant digits were hard-coded to that geographic area.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The Expanse spoilers in the Cold War thread, what a day :(

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Raenir Salazar posted:

Don't worry none of this information is from the current season.

I’m not on the current season... Not everyone consumes every piece of media the nanosecond it is released.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

priznat posted:

Test bulkheads for height or width? :haw:

I managed to get through the Growler (and several other subs) and I’m 6’ 7”.

I’ve attempted to sit in several fighter cockpit static displays and it’s been everything from “no” to “physically impossible to sit down.” Although, if you consider a T-6 Texan to be a fighter, I suppose that one worked out since I flew one for half an hour

lol at even attempting any tanks

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’ve got a question about the F-15EX missile truck scenario - are these missiles more limited by sensor range as opposed to propellant? It seems like if an F-15EX is in range to shoot something, it is also in range to be shot at (I’m assuming A2A missiles are roughly in parity). I thought that missiles only had a very limited amount of fuel so I’m not entirely understanding how the F-22/35 fits in.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Nebakenezzer posted:

Swiss posts good, gonna add 'em to the OP

Though I have to ask what the heck this is, exactly:

Doesnt “boule” just mean “ball” in French? I found this picture of a Mirage 2000 cockpit; is it that globe thing on the upper left?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I watch Mark Felton because his accent is soothing and his videos don’t seem very glammed up/clickbaity at all

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Vindolanda posted:

[Mark Felton]’s got a bit of a “making things up” type reputation. Also a very Walter Mitty wiki page.

Doing some actual research on Mr Felton it seems like he doesn’t necessarily make things up, he just “borrows” effort posts from people on Reddit or whatever and regurgitates their mistakes without checking over anything.
:sigh:

His videos usually hit that sweet spot of ~10 minutes which is one major reason I watched them.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Stravag posted:

Thr thing that always threw me about the mig29 is how big it is. The lines make me think it will be small but no its a big mother fucker

Big compared to what? It’s slightly larger than an F-16 but still much smaller than an F-15. The Su-27 is gigantic in comparison.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sagebrush posted:

I chopped this up from a giant chart. MiG-29 is on the smaller side of its contemporaries.

I dunno where you're getting 2 feet shorter than the F-15. Maybe that includes the pitot spike

That really needs a front and a top view; the -29 is not nearly as massive as some of those chonkers.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Splode posted:

I mean I don't think Israel could do much more to be cartoonishly evil at this point. This conflict is so incredibly and obviously one sided that it's impossible to take "both sides" arguments in good faith.

My favorite is labeling anything less than unwavering support of their behavior as antisemitism.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Would a flying wing even make a good fighter? The Raptor still pretends to be a dog fighter some of time, right? Can a flying wing do that without spazzing out?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

standard.deviant posted:

Yes, I know that. I understand there are lots of forces on the tether cables, and that means sometimes they break.

I haven’t heard about them breaking in a deployed environment.

It happens.

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/isis-shoots-us-army-spy-blimp-near-tirkit/

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Tias posted:

Still not as damning as his loving Gadsden patch. Just love to have mental midgets with lolbertarian sympathies looking out for the canned sunshine

standard.deviant posted:

Yeah that’s where the US flag is supposed to be.

Is that even allowed?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
25% increase in fuel efficiency seems insane. Is this a revolutionary tech or was the baseline engine notably thirsty?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The B-36 is more imposing in person because of how weird and insanely ugly it is - nothing about it looks like a modern plane. (Note that things that are ugly can still look cool)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_17_nuclear_bomb

quote:

On May 27, 1957 a Mark 17 was unintentionally jettisoned from a B-36 just south of Albuquerque, New Mexico's Kirtland AFB. The device fell through the closed bomb bay doors of the bomber, which was approaching Kirtland at an altitude of 520 metres (1,700 ft). The device's conventional explosives destroyed it on impact, leaving a crater 7.6 metres (25 ft) in diameter and 3.7 metres (12 ft) deep.
:eyepop:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MrYenko posted:

There’s one episode that is basically PoorEnlistedChoices.mpeg. I think one guy goes to mast because he raped a subordinate or something. It was pretty bad.

It was an extremely even-handed depiction of the military.

Pretty sure it was consensual… they both got thrown out from what I recall.

That was one of the things I remember the best. Other things that stuck with me:
* the F-18 pilot who nearly ruined his career by (if I remember correctly) losing track of his fuel and having to land at a land base. He got stuck for a while I believe; can’t remember if his plane broke too or he got a flat or something.
* the Navy people hated the Marine planes. Constantly broken, completely clapped out, and leaking oil everywhere.
* trying to sleep under a steam catapult seems like the worst thing in the world
* there are Wiccan services on carriers

Carrier isn’t even available through the PBS Passport streaming service, so looks like the only legal way to watch it now is to buy the DVD.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Apologies for tossing this here, but I couldn’t think of a better place, when do people think the Soviet leadership abandoned trying to achieve (even if only subconsciously) communism and just became a totalitarian state with communist window dressing? I know this is kind of a huge question, but I always wonder if people like Brezhnev, Stalin (although I think he’d rationalize it as being the stronger man who needs to have the most power to make everyone equal), or Grobachevs two predecessors.

On the one hand I’m not sure they consciously did; I doubt any of them was actively thinking “haha yes I am in command of a totalitarian state this is great.” Nobody thinks they’re the “bad guy.”

Brezhnev comes off as not the sharpest knife in the drawer to me; I don’t know whether he bothered thinking about such things. Andropov… maybe? Everyone said he was smart; whether he actually cared about achieving communism is unknown to me. Chernenko I also doubt was a deep thinker.

Gorby dreamt of turning the Soviet Union into something closer to a European social democracy so I don’t think he was ever deluded enough to think true communism was right around the corner. However, I also don’t think he was truly willing to face that the horrid legacy of the USSR made his reforms an impossibility.

If you force me to pick one I would say the Brezhnev era is when people gave up really trying.

Edit: although I would also totally accept arguments that it was impossible with Stalin’s or even Lenin’s legacies

david_a fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 4, 2021

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
^ a better version of what I was trying to say

I’ve seen it theorized that if Andropov lived longer then the USSR might have made it though the 90s. Gorbachev’s reforms in easing some of the oppression had the unintended side effect of hastening the fall since it gave people space to complain. A hard liner like Andropov tightening everything down instead may have kept the pot from boiling over for slightly longer, although I wonder if the inevitable collapse would have been worse (civil wars, nukes flying, etc).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kesper North posted:

Has this been posted here before? Seems to have just been posted last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqiulpdUgro

Skimmed through it and it looks rad. I was hoping they would show the crowd from when they moved it into the new hangar so I could try to spot myself :v:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
PZL M-15 Belthegor
Transavia PL-12 Airtruk

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Actually the Boeing X-32 is probably exactly what you’re looking for. Some lunatic has surely made a model of it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Stravag posted:

Was the 177 the massive 4 engine dive bomber atrocity?

Yes, shown below in its natural state

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
What exactly are the Taliban forces? Hordes of technicals? People on foot? I don’t understand how they captured so much area quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is that person arguing that they should cram 800+ people on every flight?