Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Seapower!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

Also, I’d like to take this opportunity to restate my dislike of the post-cold-war habit of using GRAU numbers to refer to Russian hardware, instead of NATO reporting names.

:spergin:

Wait, so you're saying that "S-300 complex consist of 5V55R, 48N6E and 9M96E1 missiles, launched from 5P85TE TELs, guided by 83M6E system which, in turn, consists of 64N6E search radar, 30N6E1 fire control radar, with 76N6 low altitude radar and 96L6E radar, all commanded from 5P851 command vehicle" isn't perfectly reasonable?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

Given the specifics, nothing regarding a India-Pakistan nuclear war would be "limited". They've got enough ordnance and delivery vehicles between them to gently caress SE Asia for a millennium.

a noob, unrelated question. What is that "zimmerit" like looking coating on top of the Mk41 cell covers?

I don't see this in other applications, like the Chinese UVLS for example.

Just a guess from peanut gallery, but maybe anti-slip coating? I'm guessing chinese VLS is maybe made from different materials so it's not as slippery.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

Just to give some perspective on what a major war between Pakistan and India would look like, consider North Korea. One major reason China keeps propping them up (besides being a useful foil to the US and providing China with more regional authority) is that China is utterly terrified of how to deal with the NK population if it turns into a refugee crisis, and that's only 25 million. India and Pakistan would be many orders of magnitude worse and more difficult to deal with, for any number of reasons.

EU is losing their poo poo and going full speed towards fascism just on account of some 5 million refugees. US is the same. Imagine what would happen if that number got multiplied by at least fifty.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

The Strategic Hamlet program kinda sounds like a good idea if pitched well, but in execution, ohhh nooooooo

To B-52 or not to B-52, that is the question.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

That's a lot of ordinance. You could say he's loaded for Bear.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

OK, what is it carrying?

Most likely one of the Kh-55 variants.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

Do they still keep the tailgunner on those?

Well, they still have guns. Also, shame that Tu-22 is no longer in service because it looks like a cartoon character from behind.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I remember back in the early 1990s, in eastern europe, we had no idea what japanese animation was. So my parents rented us a cartoon that seemed interesting for one of our movie evenings.

It was grave of the fireflies.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Welp I can’t see much else topping this, daymn

You know what was even better: we were watching it while air raid sirens were daily occurence. Now that I look back I can see how that was kinda hosed up.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

Kinda serious question: Why haven't militaries either gone back to the UH-1 or at least used it as the platform for a new helicopter? I can only find two incidents of accidents with it, compared to the 20+ blackhawks and 50+ Mi-s that have gone boom

1,400 were lost only in Vietnam to crashes and accidents, out of total of 7,000 Hueys that served in the theatre. 20% of the fleet crashed.

There are nine pages of UH-1 accidents on aviation safety. Of course, Bell built tens of thousands of the things but even with that, they don't seem safer than Blackhawk/Mi-8 variants.

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 31, 2020

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Madurai posted:

The Kuznetzov also has volume that would be hangar taken up by the antiship missile tubes.

I always thought Shipwreck tubes were at the edge of the flight deck, but nope, right in the middle of the thing:

I can't find any trace of the tubes on Liaoning and Shandong so I guess even China said "this seems unsafe and dumb".

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gnoman posted:

The ASM tubes were a treaty dodge. The Montreux Convention allows Turkey to ban naval vessels over a certain size from transiting out of the Black Sea. The treaty exempts capital ships, but aircraft carriers are not capital ships under the convention. So the Soviets fitted the heavy anti-ship battery to make their carriers into capital ships and have free transit.

China and India don't need to go into the Black Sea, so they have no use for the dodge.

Also to give it some offensive capability since Flankers can't take off with anything heavier than a couple of AAMs.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

large hands posted:

Do French planes use those (British) ejection seats that do the tie thing?

Yep, Martin-Baker Mk. 16. Same seat is installed in F-35, Typhoon and Gripen.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cessna posted:

Has anyone built a new plane with swing-wings since the 70s?

Tu-160 in the late 1980s. Also, Russians are making noises about building more of them but we'll see how that goes.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well I found this in a local sharing group, lady that had it gave it away for free. 1961 edition. Talk about peak cold war. Ignore out of focus cat idiot in the background.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stravag posted:

Man you guys, the an72 is goofy as gently caress and i love it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-72

An-72 with underslung engines looks weird as gently caress

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

I think the closest thing historically to that is the Renown class? I'm eager to be wrong on this though.

Nice catch, smokestacks and stern are different, and it seems a bit shorter and pudgier, but yeah, it looks like a fat Renown.

But enough about dumb film, here's a pretty picture:

AIRPOWER

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Why is that helicopter firing a Soyuz?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

There is some prototype Soviet turboprop [ground attack? Torpedo?] aircraft that I feel top's Bewbies' aircraft as it looks horrified at its own existence but I'm blanking on the name right now.

Il-40?

Il-102?

Ilyushin really doesn't have good track record when it comes to aesthetics.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Warbadger posted:

I am still waiting for something equivalent to the old Janes ATF series and such with the somewhat realistically modelled aircraft and weapons combined with simple flight controls. Most options either go full-sperg realism or full-anime arcade.

Strike Fighters 2.0 series?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
C-17 Globemaster

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm Canadian and I still don't get it.

Thread-related: What's one of the more underrated or less-talked about aircraft during the Vietnam War era, but not necessarily from that conflict, and why?

Built in thousands, did every mission imaginable except interception, massive number of variants, still in service. I'd say it is the most important and most underrated aircraft from 1945 to today.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
nothing because you couldn't hear it in space anyway

I do not know

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CBJamo posted:

Are the F-16 and F-22 the only fighters with frameless canopies?

J-20 as well.

e: not all of them, some examples have frames, some have frameless canopies.

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 14, 2021

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

And a completely left field question: can you repurpose an obsolete AShM or AA missile into a Yemeni cruise missile, and why not? Is it the range (the Krug can do Mach 4... for 55 kilometers), the missiles not being designed for maneuvers, or the difficulty of developing and producing the guidance kit would mean that you'd be better off with a clean-sheet design?

Sure you can. You just need four K-13 air to air missile engines, strap them to FAB-250 bomb and off you go. Not exactly a cruise missile, but same universe.

It will also probably explode on launch and kill everyone around it.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

Early models of the RD-33 were... A bit thirsty.

Also smoky. Really. really, smoky

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I obviously can't be sure but I think this is the lav on a Tu-160 that often gets showcased as the lav on an Su-34./url]

It's Mir space station toilet.

e: jesus christ Canada

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 30, 2021

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't get the distinction between Nimitz and Kusnetsov.

Nimitz is seaworthy. Also probably not on fire right now.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It kinda started with the B-36, which omitted any defensive weaponry other than an a rear autocannon turret.

Original B-36 started with sixteen 20mm cannons in twin retractable turrets. That's a lot of defensive firepower. They started to remove them in mid-1950s.

First US bomber designed without defensive guns was, I think, B-1A.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
F-15EX "Eagle II" :effort:

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Saint Celestine posted:

Can we modify the B-29 to carry PGMs or an ALCM in its bomb bay? Has this hypothetical argument gone completely off the rails yet?

Now, P in PGM is a bit of a stretch, but it kind of worked. B-17 and B-24 did carry Azon, so I don't see why B-29 could not.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

PS> John Wilkes Booth assassinating President Lincoln is like if Tom Cruise assassinated a president, dude was known as a top-level actor

I think his brother was way more popular than him, so more like Liam Hemsworth assassinating a president.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Discussion Quorum posted:

Random trivia question that just bubbled into my brain: has the US ever shot down a hostile warplane with a SAM? Have ground/sea-based US anti-air defenses engaged or poo poo down any manned hostile aircraft since Korea?

Unconfirmed, but US navy claims it shot down a MiG-17 with a Terrier in Vietnam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_%C4%90%E1%BB%93ng_H%E1%BB%9Bi

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Madurai posted:

I'm going to assume that Iraq was the one doing the Tomcat shooting, since Iran would be the one with the Tomcats.

Iran was also the one with Hawks so I guess it was some friendly fire incident?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It uh, didn't, technically. The -23 and the -27 are bureaucraticly different aircraft types.

-23B variants are dedicated ground attack models. 27 is 23B without radar but with laser rangefinder.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

What's that huge deck in the middle for

Flight deck.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hey folks, I could use some recommendations for relatively modern (very vaguely defined as post-1980 or so) weird aircraft. The context is that my game is a very silly naval combat game, and consequently I've been throwing in a bunch of really weird-looking airplanes. My current list of implemented or planned planes (about half of these are actually in the game right now)

May I recommend Soviet Blackbird: Tsybin RSR and maybe Bartini VVA-14

Also Sukhoi T-4, mach 3 capable Backfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

Yes, shown below in its natural state

Ah, the Kuznetsov of the skies.