Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Nicaraguan thirst sounds like a short lived Gatorade flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Is there an enemy missile equivalent to Fox 1/2/3?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I'm imagining the Sprint and Orion folks sitting around a table. Half of them said nah, half of them got a boner.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

gently caress yeah?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Curtis LeMay is laughing at a mere 5x15kt/sec

E: gently caress, hello new page, please accept the worst stealth fighter ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o89vbZjBAA

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

They said touch, not lick.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

If DOD can figure out how to make disparate transmitters reliably agree on their version of reality then holy poo poo we just fixed a bunch of Very Hard(tm) computer science problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raft_(computer_science)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paxos_(computer_science)

E: This was meant to be a polite dig at Platystemon's question, no offense meant because it wasn't a bad question.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 23, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I used to sit tight knowing that no one gave two shits about deep SW Portland Oregon suburbs when they decided where canned sunshine went.

Then NK got their Kerbal-assed ICBM and I'm not so sure.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Memento posted:

While we're on the subject of nuclear strikes, I've got a question that I guess we can really only speculate about. I work for a major goldmine in Outback Australia. The nearest town is 35km away and has a population of around 1200.

Would we be a target? If the SIOP at its nuttiest was putting half a dozen warheads on an isolated bridge in Siberia, it seems like permanently denying the resource and infrastructure we have here to the enemy would make sense.

quoting for siop

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm reading Command and Control right now and the US Gov. projected casualty figures for a nuclear exchange with the Russians are wild. 60% of the population dead or injured on day one. No thanks!

But what about a counterforce-only exchange?!?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

lol my friend is at a conference in Florida and apparently some air force idiot at the hotel is trying to impress her by showing her pictures of "All the new weapons they just got".

I'm wondering what they could be and how much poo poo he could be in.

100 pictures of his B-69 Hog.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Kesper North posted:

A fun failure mode that could also apply to space elevators!

A cable that could wrap around the earth 3 times? I’m not seeing a problem here.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Never trust a vehicle whose wings fly faster than the fuselage.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

post a callout thread, mock him more when he doesn’t show up

please don’t do this to me

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Boeing shareholders wish they had hired him in September 2018.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

USS Crozier has a nice ring to it. Might even happen if big daddy orangeman decides to throw Modly entirely under the bus.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

And another story about an SR-71 disintegrating in flight and ejecting the pilot on its own: http://www.chuckyeager.org/news/sr-71-disintegrated-pilot-free-fell-space-lived-tell/

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Don’t forget the Ace Combat loadouts you could do in those games. 4x weapon bays, each could carry 3x AMRAAMs or 4x Sidewinders.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The first ad on this link was for jowl reduction. I’m late 30s but I still checked.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Are you an old enough dude to click a B-36 link?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Huh.

I kinda don't even know if I should post this here because, well, POTUS and all but I guess it's my pool and I'll poo poo in it if I want to.

Apparently the US has a, and I quote the President of the United States, "super-duper missile" that is seventeen times faster than our previous missiles. The President went on to say that Russia has missiles that are "five times" and China is working on ones that are "six or seven times" but ours will go up to seventeen times.

Here is a article on the matter by noted left wing attack rag Buisness Insider.

Super Duper Missile.

Conventional ICBMs sound like a great idea and I see no way this could possibly backfire.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You could see the flame trail if your eyeballs hadn’t been liquified.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I choose to believe we have a less nuclear version of Project Pluto that distributes shockwaves at Mach 170. Those dickheads over in Alpha Centauri had it coming anyway.

E: Hohmann? More like Hohwoman.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 18, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Haven’t seen an F-35B in person yet but Harriers are a new definition of loud.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Neophyte posted:

Goddammit it's been 70+ years A.T. where's our atomic Amtraks?

NIMBYs shot the idea down. Something about 60 Gy twice a day.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Every F35 can be STOVL with enough JATOs.

E: The VL part is handled by a shitload of JATOs

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 2, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I love how the (literally) ultimate penaid is "set off another nuke", because in the cold war even problems with your nuclear weapons can be solved with more nuclear weapons.

If you have a better way to dig a second Panama Canal I’d like to hear it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

That cat would totally push the button.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Flikken posted:

Don't forget the AC-130 shot down two F-22s

That’s gotta be embarrassing.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Chamale posted:

In that military wank trilogy The Salvation War, where America invades Hell and Heaven to attack and dethrone God, it didn't take long for the humans to adapt crew-served weapons into portable weapons for their demonic allies.

gently caress you for reminding me i read that

for context, it was brought up in the john ringo thread as “even worse”

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Memento posted:

that's an incredibly low bar to clear

and they still failed

there was more than one paragraph where a demon raped a lady fighter pilot

and yes, still less creepy than john ringo’s boat

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

priznat posted:

But if the aliens are half as tall that would make us the big blue doofuses and the aliens have the transforming fighters!

We just have lovely bipedal walkers with a soccerball head that explode of you look at them funny.

https://youtu.be/zGEiK9StSfQ

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

That was my one moment.

Discussion was whether the century series of fighter ever downed an enemy.

F-104 killed more than one Nazi.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Uncle Sam makes a dollar, I make a dime.
That's why I light fires on company time.

...no seriously, is this going to be the reason again?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

NightGyr posted:

There's a whole lot going on in ant defense artillery

https://imgur.com/r/gifs/Kh0lHYw

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

In F-117A the most dangerous aircraft was the IL-76 Mainstay AWACS, since it had a superb omnidirectional radar and an infinite supply of AA-10s

:shobon:

The first time I got an IL-76 mission I assumed it was a boss (I was like 7 or 8 years old) and ended that fucker with no less than 5 AMRAAMs.

Kill.
Confirmed.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Bullshit if they claim it was the last couple days. Portland has been covered in wildfire smoke for about a week now. I saw clouds earlier today and it was a “holy poo poo yes” moment. No one is taking pictures of USAF triangles this week.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

I mean, Quantas paid to have this fixed so they could keep flexing about never having a hull loss.

http://imgur.com/a/LucEz

This is fine.

E: ^^^ dammit

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/Ukfdw9I.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

MRC48B posted:

The most you're probably going to find is obscure references to the Jimmy Carter's special mission section, and whatever gets posted to Covert Shores.

I’m sure this is OPSEC too but I choose to believe there are various cans of peanuts left in places Jimmy Carter (the submarine) wasn’t supposed to be.