Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

So them talking about just scrapping LHD-6 sent me down a rabbit hole, and god the America class and it's decendants is a giant clusterfuck... and it's insane that we didn't learn our lesson on LHA's in Lebennon... but luckily we can use them as bad aircraft carriers in a shooting war with China.

Also, we probably should have just bought the 2 Mistrals off of France since at least they can carry an entire marine battalion with their equipment, and actually have well decks... even if they're small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

^ getting mad airwolf vibes.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

why isn't china interested in cruise missile subs like the uss ohio. seems like it'd be useful just in a fleet in being sense

Because we have a monopoly on flinging tomahawks at worthless dirt, and for what China needs to hit with a ship like that (within what they consider their sphere of influence, at the moment) their ballistic missiles work better.

Unless you're talking about using them on long range patrol to provide conventional counter value vs. the CONUS / Hawaii... The difficulty of maintaining undetected long term patrols, and the provocative nature of counter-value on US soil isn't worth the expense, especially for a navy that has relatively little blue water experience.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

What does being taller have to do with being immune to bullets?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

^^^ if they're wearing body armor that's resistant to their handguns it should be hella proof to ours

I'm not sure that tracks, since stopping a large slow thing is easier than a fast small thing.

But if it's covering their entire bodies then we can just wait for them to overheat and die; and if it's only covering parts of their bodies (IE: PLATE), you shoot the unarmored parts and bleed them out.

Armor doesn't stop blast / compression injuries, so we can still blow them up real good.

Fundamentally invading an extra solar peer is just not going to work without WMD because every round they fire, every casualty they take makes their invasion less tenable (IE: Invading America as a peer from Eurasia isn't logistically tenable and it's on the same planet.)

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 29, 2020

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Murgos posted:

That's a lot of R&D that needs to happen to support that vision. Upping the tech development pace to an unsustainable level pretty much broke the USSR.

The USSR wasn't as good at stealing the R&D from us.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Would the Super Tocano be good for hunting drones?

You're risking:

A.) Trained Pilot.

B.) Plane that is basically as expensive as the drone at best.

In order to shoot a $500,000+ missile(s) at a drone, and in addition the ST cannot self direct towards the target..

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Not really understanding this bit about not requiring a lathe but requiring a lathe.

quote:

This alteration both increases the tolerance of the rocket to small nozzle design defects, and makes manufacture easier by allowing the use of a drill rather than a lathe during manufacture due to the smaller nozzle size. However, due to the cone shape of each of the 7 nozzles, the interior of each nozzle requires the use of a lathe, as it would otherwise be cylindrical rather than conical (see rocket engine nozzle).

Couldn't they just use a countersink bit to get a cone rather than a lathe?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

Given previous posts in this thread talking about how Israel has been doing election after election (and appear to be headed for ANOTHER one) because they can't form a government, is this attributing a bit too much active cognizance to Netanyahu? I hate the guy, but "antagonizing/killing the Palestinians to keep a key demographic on my side" seems a bit too...thought through, for the current Israeli governance situation.

I mean that's been his go to move for his entire time in office, though?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Sure is weird how you get more bang for your buck when your entire procurement strategy is either based on:

A.) Min-Maxing your chances in a single regional theatre, against a known threat.

Or

B.) Creating credible capabilities you didn't have previously, like an actual ocean going Navy.

Vs.

Trying to have forces capable of engaging in Low-High Intensity conflicts anywhere in the world, preferably within hours / days.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I'd be loving Livid if I was in a Guard unit being used like this.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

knox_harrington posted:

My extensive experience as a submarine commander (in Cold Waters) suggests a huge torpedo traveling at 70kn will cavitate like gently caress and be pretty easy to track.

It's either below crush depth or moving twice as fast as anything you can intercept it with.

knowing where it is doesn't really help you.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

tbh from reading this thread, if I was Canadian I wouldn't want my money going to military spending either, it'll just disappear into a black hole and maybe you'll get a lovely boat for the cost of 5 Arleigh Burkes.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Sukhoi SU-75 Fuckboi

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Yeah my HH60 squadron was on call for local CSAR and flew to Alabama to help pull people off rooftops after Katrina.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

ArmyGroup303 posted:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/41935/these-contenders-are-vying-to-replace-the-navys-t-45-goshawk-with-a-new-jet-trainer

I find it funny that the U.S. Navy as of now wants a next-gen trainer that can't handle full CATOBAR. I wonder if the training data really backs up the assertion that touch-and-go and land-based training is good enough, because that seems really counterintuitive.

Current trainer isn't carrier capable either.

Will probably just get carrier qual on F model superbugs on the job.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

I utterly don't get the "lets base missiles in Africa" thing aside from being a way to make counterforce targeting not irradiate white people land.
e>

Also forces the use of additional reconnaissance assets, since the Sahara is uh pretty large and sparse.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Requirement was probably without dismounting to speed up disengaging.

Ergo 2 or 3 feet higher than in those jeep pictures.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I'm sure the oceans turning to acid won't impact current rates of economic development.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Yeah, the only reason to do the bump to mach 1 is to use a ramjet instead of a rocket to get to high altitude.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

100 posts, wonder what's going on.

Mortabis: We should start a war with China while we can still win.

Oh.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

So the Stryker MGS seems like a failure then?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

SavageMessiah posted:

Going home would help

Nice.

I'd go with:

Not Invade during the time of year the countryside is made of mud so your manuever formations have zero tactical or operational flexibility.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

What we need are infantry that require an NLAW or Javelin to engage.

Perhaps we ought to develop some kind of armored suit that is mechanically powered.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

bewbies posted:

lol @ the dude skipping rounds off the ground to make sure he gets to the guys cowering behind the BMP

Definitely a pro gamer move.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

CainFortea posted:

"You're winning wrong"

Not at all what the article is saying?

Getting the core of your Army encircled and reduced is in fact bad, even if you're punishing your opponent the whole time.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

That entire article's assumption is that there's no way we're seeing what we're seeing. Russia must be on the verge of a Deep Battle encirclement and will win any day now. Please ignore all evidence to the contrary. Their failures to take objectives are on purpose.

Like, again the Ukrainians are performing extremely well, and the Russians are clearly not.

Saying that the Russians objective is to destroy the Ukrainian army in the south by cutting it off from supply, and that they've actually made progress towards that isn't an unfair assessment.

Russians are taking ground; albeit incompetently and paying for it dearly. But taking ground is still tactical victory, especially if it's in service of operational objectives.

If the bulk of the Ukrainian Regular formations get bottled up and pounded with artillery and air power... then it's going to be difficult to mount any kind counter offensive if the Russian State does not collapse which is far from certain.

Idk some sobriety is called for lots of "the insurgency is in its death throes" energy ITT.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Not Great.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/essay/saying-her-name

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 24, 2022

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I mean, fast maneuverable direct fire with good optics that is proof vs fragments and small arms and 30mm autocannon seems useful.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Wouldn't a bullet hitting that plate just send it into your face like a mudflap?

Like spalling? Or the actual plate?

Idk rather have fragments in my face than a bullet.

like there are ways to do this but not stupid, but it's not really something every rifleman needs.

But sticking 10lbs weight directly onto the barrel instead of free floating it is truly dumb af.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

zoux posted:

Given the discussion over the last couple of pages, it sounds like tube artillery is strictly better than rocket artillery? In what cases does rocket out perform tube artillery?

Total Range, and the ability to hit something extremely hard all at once with a small number of platforms.

4 tubes firing 12 rounds each at you will take roughly 6 minutes.

4 MLRS firing 12 rockets each at you takes 30 seconds and they are almost twice as big around and can deploy cluster munitions.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

The reason to do that is to get a large projectile a reasonable distance without needing a heavy thick barrel.

So it can be man portable or mounted on a light vehicle.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Tbh the LCS is a much worse failure than the F35.

At least the F35 actually provides capabilities that can be leveraged in a coherent way.

Like it might have taken way too long and cost too much but at least the end product actually functions in something akin to it's role; and the role is actually useful.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

PeterCat posted:

So, are fighter planes pressurized or do the pilots routinely run around without their oxygen mask on above 15,000 feet?

They ARE pressurized, but wearing your mask is uh a good idea for lots of reasons.

Increased blood o2 helps during high G manuevers

If you get hit and decompress you have your mask on already.

If you Eject at high altitude you have your mask on already.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

FuturePastNow posted:

Hot Shots Part Trois

This.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Anything that significantly eats into Russias fires superiority via direct CB or interdiction of supply train is in fact a big deal as it's the only thing the Russians are effectively leveraging.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Believe that when I see it.

The days of manned aircraft when you run the world's worst SEAD campaign is definitely over though.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Yeah I'm pretty sure dude is getting a medal for making GBS threads himself.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Mudhens out of Bagram responsible for at least 30% of my hearing loss.

Our building was out on the rarmac at the end 3/4 of the active runway about 200yds to the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Isn't most of the we needed guns from early on when dog fights between 17s and rear aspect only F4s didn't go so hot even if the 17s weren't scoring kills vs. American fighters? (Because the F4 could disengage at will basically)