Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I cant see an E2C with that antenna and not think “dunce cap”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

piL posted:

It actually can counteract what I think is one big problem the military. The military's rigid authority system combined with time served requirements means that you get these large cohorts of officers with the same experience. Every Admiral and General in the US, for example, last had undergraduate experience before 2000, some before 1990. It may be longer than that (if ever) since they worked a job that wasn't in the military. You might get some new experience when these people went to grad school, but since they likely did that before their ten year mark that was still 2010 and assumes they didn't receive that experience from a war college or military postgraduate school. Bringing people in at higher point could mean more modern ideas in the conversations 20 years from now.

When Mattis retired in 2013 for example, he was 63 years old. It was 41 years since he had attended a school not funded by the DoD, ran by a military officer. There's a huge opportunity for senior members of the military to form their own shared and sheltered opinions that requires active effort and lots of reading to avoid.

For it to be worth it, you have to be careful about how many you let in, and that indoctrination probably has to be very strong to ensure your newly gained O-3 can work effectively with people who have 4-8 years of military experience.

Do you have any data to back this perception up? It contradicts my personal experience but maybe I'm in a biased situation.

I worked at some big defense cos who hired lots of former officers. Their careers typically went something like:
HS -> (Join Military OR Get Bachelors) -> (Join Military OR Get Bachelors) -> Serve for 6-10 years -> Get MBA or M.S. degree -> Join defense company (Usually at year 10+/-2)

I've seen others in this thread talk about how the Air Force in particular leads to this (dropping out at year 10), so the idea there isn't Masters degree level training going on in officers after 10ish years in is seemingly untrue, at least in my anecdote. Also the idea that people in the military are that much insulated as to not gain new insights and ideas given the existence of the internet seems pretty unlikely.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
If you want to know what the navy is up to with regard to cooperative engagement/datalinking they tend to publish that under the header of "NIFC-CA".

We all know to take NI with a grain of salt but here's a recent thing from them: https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/navy-has-plan-stop-ship-killer-missiles-115496

quote:

NIFC-CA technology, which has used both an F-35 and E2-D Hawkeye as an airborne sensor to track and relay threat information, connects to a ship-based fire-control system able to launch an SM-6 to intercept store threats at further distances the ship defenses were previously able to do.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

LingcodKilla posted:

Well we only had proxy wars and vaguely low scale wars compared to WW2 and nobody cares about browns or poor people so yes.

Thats like saying that DUI Policing is the reason DUI deaths have gone down.

Maybe it is...

...or maybe its the Uber is convenient
...or maybe that cars are safer
...or maybe its a change in the opinion of drinking and driving in the eyes of the public

Maybe MAD prevented a full scale war...

...or maybe it was the ability to do intel at a much greater scale leading to communication about discoveries between leaders
...or maybe it was the widespread adoption of instant communication channels between govt leader
...or maybe its the UN

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Minor story but thread relevant, retirement of cold war relics: The B-52 Will No Longer Carry Nuclear Gravity Bombs

I imagine there's basically no place that we could nuke with gravity bombs on a B-52 as the B-52 would be shot down long before they got where they wanted to go.

Also from the article:

quote:

B-52, known as the Big Ugly Fat Fellow

What a good attempt at re-branding, AF.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Top Hats Monthly posted:

https://youtu.be/1B1EAeh6H_I

Imagine hearing this with no warning

This seems pretty tame compared to the 2018 Hawaii false alarm.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Saukkis posted:

Why does it seem so difficult to equip a plane with a new missile, is the LRASM too large for P-8s or does it require extensive testing how the missile behaves when dropped? I would think the hardpoints were standard, is the problem with data interfaces with the plane or does P-8 require new equipment to be able to provide required data for the missile?

Mazz posted:

Pylons have to be safe to support weapons on takeoff, in-flight and landing
interfaces to the weapon need to be wired/installed
avionics need to support the weapon
weapon release needs to be safe
LRASM is pretty fuckin’ complicated

What Mazz said.

Imagine launching a Toyota Prius sized airplane at a range of speeds the new aircraft may fly at that needs to navigate in a huge variety of environments with, without and with falsified targeting data sent in flight.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Arglebargle III posted:

Maybe it would be wrong to expect the water they were wading through to be heavily contaminated. After all, fire fighting water that contacted the core itself probably vaporized rather than flowing down into the sumps.

Not to mention water is used for neutron shielding1

Although is bad at gamma radiation shielding

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 10, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

LibCrusher posted:

but making an easily visible line back to the sub ain’t one of them, chief.

I like how you condescendingly added the last bit. Crushed 'em

Still though I wonder if you're right. IDK much about this subject but a little googling suggest that solid state 10kW welding lasers output around 1.03um. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1875389213000655

Makes sense that these would be pretty similar to the shipbourne systems, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/SEQ-3_Laser_Weapon_System

Lastly, it seems that a cursory search of digikey will net IR sensors that DO detect in this spectrum, although not at peak performance.
Heres a few datasheet snapshots of ~$3 sensors from digikey.

Got some info to back up your claims?

EDIT: From Adafruit even https://learn.adafruit.com/ir-sensor

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 11, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Stravag posted:

Is the soviet/chinese bit because they used their own gear?

News in 6 months: Soviet bug found in former Crypto AG offices

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

LibCrusher posted:

That $3 sensor is not an imager. You’re not getting that thing to display anything other than a voltage output indicating the presence of SWIR radiation.

You’d need something like this: https://www.oemcameras.com/tau-swir.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiAvonyBRB7EiwAadauqSrtUNMy_3BK2PsPdOXyf8wEuxAmHhNVA6SkU-k7Rzw_r8qtk4VC4BoC6-AQAvD_BwE

But again, you’re not going to get enough atmospheric scatter to see the beam.

I’ve worked with military laser designators in the 1-2 nanometer range for years and it is fairly easy for a special camera to see the spot, I have never once seen the beam itself.

Fair point

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

piL posted:

We don't hear about the focused effective development plans with narrow objectives and effective outcomes because they don't get funded. Squeaky wheels get the fix and two squeaky wheels are louder than one.

I worked on a roughly 5 year long unsexy development project valued at $250M which delivered a significant capability improvement to an aircraft that ended up receiving $4B in orders, partially as a result of this upgrade. That development project involved every discipline of building aircraft (major changes to software, hardware, OML, fueling, etc. ). The contracting office put out press releases every step of the way that never even made it in the defense press. The program ended up with a CPI and SPI of 1.0X and a first flight date within 2 weeks of the 5 year old baseline.

No one cared except the customer who was extremely happy.

Fairly large, good programs absolutely exist and do not get talked about.
EDIT 1:
If you read that and were loving bored you understand why no one talks about it. I got bored writing about it. Still, a good program that was planned and executed well. Had its share of hiccups that were recovered from and now we as a nation can do additional military things because of it.

EDIT 2:
Actually I looked up the original overhaul and subsequent several billion dollars in delivery of the aircraft and they consistently hitting good CPI and SPI for demonstrator, LRIP, FRP, etc.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 13, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bewbies posted:

M SHORAD is tentatively looking like it will deliver a world-class mobile short range air defense system below the cost of its relatively small initial budget

unsure why national interest hasn't been writing story after story about this

What CANT you put Stingers on?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

evil_bunnY posted:

That poo poo isn't and IMO shouldn't be newsworthy. Congrats on doing your job.

I agree, hence me talking about it being loving boring. The post I quoted said that focused effective things don't get funded. I'm making a case that there are several billion dollar development/procurement of things that fly which are focused, effective and executed well.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

aphid_licker posted:

Hiring a guy with no own horse in the game isn't the worst move probably

Its a delicate balance IMO. You should have decent subject matter expertise and should talk to the people actually doing the work to develop effective, concise requirements. At the same time, people reacting to a certain situation present today but not in the future will tend overstate or leave out what they think they need and you can waste a ton of $$ building something unimportant just by taking the operator's functional requirements and writing The [system] shall [X].

No matter, youre going to build a demonstrator using a competitive process. So you go to the contractors and say hey which of the requirements are cost drivers? And they optimize for what they thing has the highest probability of making them win the IDIQ FRP contract over the other guy and don't give a poo poo about the total cost so long as they believe their congressmen will okay it.

Now that I'm in the commercial world and tasked with being the requirement writer for commercial competitive products, breaking down operational needs into good system level requirements in the military industrial complex is pretty fuckin difficult.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They could always buy an F/A-18A with a nice pedigree: https://sites.ualberta.ca/~nmartin/newhome/TheonlyF.html

This returns a 403 Forbidden for me

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Blistex posted:

So the question I have about the hyper-ranged rocket-assisted artillery shell is, how do you get it to hit anything but a stationary target you have a laser pointed at or the exact GPS coordinates of?

Why does it need a requirement to hit things other than the ones you just described?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

priznat posted:

You gotta, concur is a real stickler!!

Trigger warning any mention of concur plz

The vz merc story from the AP is truly a wild ride.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 5, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ought ten posted:

I’m not an aerospace engineer or anything but I’ve been on planes and they already have holes cut in the fuselage. They’re called doors. Just roll the bombs out the side, I don’t see what the big deal is.

IDK if joking but those doors aren't open when theres a big pressure differential between the inside and the outside. Crush a can of coke when full, then try crushing it when you vent the top. Very easy when the inside isn't pressurized.

Also you can pierce commercial aircraft skin with a screwdriver. Google indicates that a 737 skin is 0.040", or 1mm, thick 2024 aluminum. So theres a bunch of explosive poo poo inside a thing that is getting missiles shot at it with very thin skin.

EDITED after the post below but yea also theres issue with releasing ordinance and it wanting to run back in to the plane. That said, you can often engineer around these things especially depending on the rate you're required to drop the ordinance. If its slower you can use a kicker style release or other powered ejection method in a certain part of the aircraft that will allow safe separation. It's a huge concern though. Less so now in the age of excellent CFD software and several decades of knowledge/publications.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 25, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

FuturePastNow posted:

If they can put a bigass telescope sticking out the side of a 747, they can probably put a giant artillery piece on one. Like a AC-130 but with 10x the range.

Just like a 280mm cannon firing laser-guided projectiles from 40k feet and 30 miles away, with a drone or a dude on the ground painting targets

The they you speak of is the engineers responding to stuff in this thread. SOFIA was 20 years old when they bought the plane and still cost $1B to develop in 2007 dollars.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you get hit by a missile in a plane you are almost always hosed regardless of the thickness of the skin of the airplane.

Yea missile was the wrong word to use. Was trying to make the point that basically anything metal will penetrate an unarmored airliner. The typical OBUD ordinance dropping aircraft have returned to base with damage that would've led to an airliner being very on fire.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Raenir Salazar posted:

Iran feels like it has the Tony Stark of aerospace industries in their ability to create solutions from limited resources.

Worst analogy ever

They successfully landed a working stealth plane and couldn’t produce their own copy.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Is all the explanation a cover story to explain why the US went out of its way to obtain air defense hardware so they can supply the counter measures to Israel / Turkey for their games in Syria (does Iran get AD hardware from Russia?)? I assume the Russian electronic warfare equipment has been a bit more effective in countering efforts than has been led to believe.

Linking the coasts of Syria and Libya with truck mounted hardware into a integrated southern flank against NATO sounds like hogwash.
FWIW I am def among the less knowledgeable in this thread about other country's hardware, but bare with me here...

Its probably both of those things, though US generals have been talking about how good Russian EW in Syria is since at least 2013.

IDK why the radar network thing would be hogwash.

Here's an example of the difference in capability assuming that any radar is line of sight effective: (Over the horizon radars exist, but id question the effectiveness against fast moving objects while things like large ships can be tracked other ways.)

Say you want to counter an item flying at 0.85 Mach at 100 feet ASL and have a radar that's effective to the horizon against said item. If your radar is at 300 ft you now have 38 miles (small circle) of warning or about 4 minutes if it flies straight and level.

Say an item is at 30k ft and your radar is again at 300ft ASL and effective to the horizon, your coverage area looks like this when you have the Libyan coast:

Now add in a few radar equipped boats with 100ft high radars and the 100ft/30000ft targets:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Nutapii posted:

I don't understand how this part is allowed. As a warship, isn't there an immediate need to repair damage it might suffer rather than waiting for a contractor to come out meaning the manuals have to be part of the package? If the manufacturer are concerned about manuals somehow being subject to FOI couldn't it just be classified?

It’s not a classification issue, it’s that Eaton doesn’t want to give LM or the military the blueprints to the hydraulic pump they spent tons of money perfecting. That’s their IP and LM is a semicompetitor with a bunch of engineers that will go to work for Parker, UTAS, and other direct competitors.

Godholio posted:

It's not just allowed, it's celebrated and emphasized because COTS is usually cheaper than developing a new thing. Ideally the military would also buy a big stockpile of whatever, but we've been slicing and dicing the logistical capability for that since fall of the USSR.

Yea from the contractor side, you learn quickly that lifetime buys are anathema to the customer.

That said IMO the move toward COTS is a very good thing for the military, particularly for electronics. What you lack in detailed drawings you gain in something that’s been through enough functional testing and been in service long enough to have the kinks worked out.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

piL posted:

But then there's all these in between that I have my doubts on. Is it worth it to fly a contractor out if we could just have a system that's Navy owned? What happens during wartime when [insert specific company]'s repair team isnt available to fly to such and such warzone?

Something I would advocate for if I knew how would be to fund open source manufacturing processes (or something conceptually similar). Need a pump? Let's pay someone to design an effective 'standard' pump and release the plans as a public good for industry to take advantage of. We get plans and the world gets plans, and the more US companies that make it, the easier it is to fit those factories into logistics if a protracted war a started. That might all be more expensive than buying a proprietary pump, but the advantage is further reaching than lots of ships.

MIC contractors regularly travel to wartime locations or provide technical debugging. Product support is a huge thing, even for COTS.

Your standardization plan already happens, they’re called military specs. The military buys ones that have been qualified to be listed on the qualified products list. Here’s one from a crimp tool, that allows interchangeable crimping dies for example http://everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPECS-MIL-DTL/MIL-DTL-22520G_6681/

This is how we have so many flavors of AR-15.

You can’t do it with many off the shelf components. Qualifying a component is very expensiv. The expense and technical requirements of getting your mil specd “standard” pump on the QPL still lead to oligopolies as the total market is often small and the cost to enter the market is high.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 3, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Mil specs aren't plans for how to build something though, they're just standards for how it has to perform. It's still left up to the manufacturer how to actually make the widget that meets those specifications.

What piL is proposing sounds more like building equipment under license from the designer, which was a big thing in WWII to increase capacity. You'd have multiple factories all making the same design of tank or airplane or engine or whatever, using the same plans and maybe even the same tooling (I'm not super knowledgeable about how that worked logistically). In this case, the license would simply be open source and freely available and pre-approved by the DoD.

:spergin: about mil products below:

They're detail plans for the interfaces and requirements which is what the military should do, IMO as a person who has been an engineer in this field. Any idiot can reverse engineer an existing no-software-included item if they just want to make a knockoff to the milspec. 3D printed AR15 lowers with COTS hardware and uppers are a good example of that. The military should not care about the internal workings, only the provable interfaces, quality and function.

IMO as a Mech E and Sys E who has done this exact type of design its a horrible idea to have the military detail spec parts. Even worse for them to assume they're good if the mfg claims they're built to spec (including if they have paperwork) EXCEPT in an "all out war" scenario where you trade reliability for capacity because not having the capacity costs even more lives than shoddy products.

Mil planes for example have an increasing numbers of COTS on them, but very few electro-mechanical parts could be built to print and fly with any acceptable risk level and qualification costs prevent them from flying often anyway. What we did in WWII for planes is basically irrelevant today for the following reasons:
1)The primitive plane electronics were super unreliable in WWII. [1]
2) There's been a tremendous decrease in structural factor of safety as a result of improvements to material processing, certification, etc.

The biggest available area for COTS is electronics and build to print is a truly HORRIBLE HORRID AWFUL idea in that space because of obsolescence and vulnerability issues. What the military does now may be expensive but the number of Class A mishaps in single engine planes maintained by 20 year olds rivals that of civil aviation. That said I have lived through NAVWAR building a device to sit in front of COTS networking equipment and I 100% believe that it could've been done better by literally any contractor. It was months behind schedule and actively delaying capability adds to the platform I was involved in.

Top tier engineers do not join the military unless they're PhDs. The day to day engineers are paid 6 figgies in the private sector. Experienced work-a-day engineers rarely join NAV/SPAWAR and would rather join LM, NG, et al. due to pay.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 3, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

piL posted:

we have to spec it ourselves or pay someone else to spec it, then pay someone to design and manufacture based on those specs. When we do this, even if its technically not sole source, it serves de facto as sole source, since other companies that don't make it don't have the data to affordably replicate or service it. If it starts costing twice as much for xcorp to make that item, so be it. These are specifically the cases I was thinking of. Obviously not appropriate for weapons or things with solely military purposes, but a database app to manage training requirements? Maybe someone else can use it.

Yea this is indeed an issue for both the military and integrator. For both mechanical assemblies and electronic boxes, they're often served by build to print places like Rodelco and indeed the prints are given to the military (in my experience) so they could be released should the military decide to instruct the integrator to seek additional sources. For outsourced machined/sheet metal assemblies I often see 2-3 sources listed on the print. For electronics there's usually just one.

It has the same problem as the qualified products list stuff except an even SMALLER market, as rather than being a tool that serves many purposes including some commercial its a parts thats sole source because its not worth it for anyone else to bother. I've often daydreamed about starting a business where I find all the current build to print electronics boxes that will get renewed contracts in 3-4 years and I make my own build to print house to compete with them. I'd have to do all the qualification stuff in house which means I need a few million bucks in equipment to get started...only to make 45 $15,000 boxes that cost $5000+ to build and which required $2M+ in cap ex.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Murgos posted:

the government is also the prime integrator [...] one of the MIC typical primes is [...] on contract to provide support for the integration effort.

We'll see how it works out on 4-5 years.

Prediction: If its non-COTS GFE that is being concurrently developed by the government to be integrated into a major platform, like the F-15, E-3, B-2, etc., almost all of the critical path failures will be due to lack of availability of GFE test articles or GFI flight critical reports (safety, qual, etc.) and/or lack of flight qualified GFE articles for the test flights.

For example: A new GFE crypto device that sits in front of a COTS networking device that should be ready in July 2022 and thus first flight in Feb 2023 should be no issue. 95% chance that thing isn't qualified for flight by Feb 1 2023.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 3, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Government finished equipment / information is the actual thing btw. It’s a distinction from contractor furnished equipment. Despite being included to save money or schedule it often does neither, particularly when the GFE is needed is being concurrently developed by another contractor or the government itself.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Since I brought the whore terms of my past grooming for MIC project management into the thread, Ill put us back on course with something maximally thread relevant:
Project Azorian the CIA snatching the wreck of the Soviet K-129 nuclear sub.

A bite sized 8 minute doc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVlpJJWzQK0

In depth from the absolutely most Cold War/AIRPOWER YouTube channel, Pensacola Seniors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK9KpGO3ClM

And a declaissified report from the CIA archives:
On the project:
https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/DOC_0005301269.pdf

And the project's engineering:
https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/DOC_0005607353.pdf

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I said diplomas have become more of a 'social contract' in recent history than a symbol of achievement. I'm open to dissenting opinions.

Signed, a dude with a BA and two MAs, because I was a glutton for punishment, but not so much as to go for a Ph.D.

Agree for things like english, psych, CJ, etc. BAs. However, any time you say this in a room full of engineers they tell you to go gently caress yourself. Often this is because they missed out on doing a bunch of fun poo poo in college as a result of the academic challenge.

Signed, a dude with a B.S. and M.S. in engineering

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I like how MEO and GEO satellites are hilariously egregiously vulnerable to EW and probably cyber attacks y'all hotly debating nuking them. Sure i could throw this billion dollar weapon at it or I could just launch a few things into LEO that jam it.

GPS satellites can be jammed in a small radius by some chinesium $5 hobby things that can be operated by new jersey truck drivers.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

mlmp08 posted:

No, they cannot. Receivers and local signals can be disrupted by such things. Sometimes the solution is as simple as digging a 1 foot hole, putting your receiver in the hole, and then you have signal again. GPS jamming is a real problem, but it's so often put out as "the satellite got jammed" when it's more that receivers get locally degraded by the highly local jammer. No $5 jammer is going to reach out to a GPS satellite and shut the whole thing down.

A cowbell doesn't block a concert, but ringing a cowbell at the person next to you during a concert will disrupt them, sure.

I'm not claiming it would.

I'm saying it doesn't need to and almost every solution to degrading/eliminating the satellite is better and easier and cheaper. The nuclear option for a GEO satellite is dumb as hell.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah but what do you do with that, just lots of screws into the bottom of the body?

You’d prob weld in a frame designed to hold it and which is welded to the car such that the weight distribution is where you want and the force is directed toward the also beefed up suspension.

Suspension would prob have stronger attachment points, higher rate springs. I’m assuming they don’t plan to actually drove the car much or they’d need to do a lot more. Firing it destroys the windshield tho

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

human garbage bag posted:

Are the people who maintain the US Air Force's planes considered to be part of the Air Force?

There are many groups involved with maintaining the USAF's fleet of planes. The people actually doing the wrenching are typically USAF enlisted.
For example: https://www.airforce.com/careers/detail/tactical-aircraft-maintenance

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 26, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Blistex posted:

They were asking Honeywell to make the 737 avionics package "unpressurized rated". The word was it was probably for the B-21.

There’s a special version of hell for engineers that is having to give subs requirements and not tell them why, what for, or sometimes just having to omit fairly important stuff just because of security concerns. They always end up thinking that you stalling on getting them info because your company and you are incompetent and the fact that the requirements have changed 5 times in 2 years isn’t helping that.

There’s an insane amount of money spent on SAP/SAR projects and any of the big ones have many subs building stuff “for an IRAD”.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I like the lack of any scale or reference features

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Carillon posted:

Does anyone have any good resources I could check out on the development or operational historys of the F-8 and A-7? My father flew both in Vietnam and in Top Gun, I know specifically the A-7 off the Oriskany in the Silver Foxes squadron, and I'd love to have some fun information next time I chat with him.

A lot of my knowledge, such as it is, on jet development tends to start at the end of WWII, some knowledge of the Sabre, and then a jump to everyone talking about the F-4. He's pretty proud of being part of the last gunfighter group, so any more info I could either share new or provide fodder for a conversation would be cool

Searching the CIA FOIA archives produces some good stuff. Frequently they'll have newspaper clippings from the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc. that give youa good sense of the perception, or propaganda, of the time. Searching A-7 Corsair produces such results.

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/advanced-search-view

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bewbies posted:

I feel like an F-16 with an actively scanned radar and the latest AMRAAMs is probably the best bang for buck out there right now, although one cannot begin to tell the actual flyaway cost from any of these press releases.

If the purpose of your air force is a credible deterrent to your neighbors and participate in UN/coalition actions in reduced threat environments it seems like a great choice at $55M/ea. (Based on this contract, which who knows what that includes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
2022 Japan retakes Port Arthur with: