Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

mlmp08 posted:

THAAD shooting an MRBM dropped out of a C-17:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYr6hYVpxxw

This is cool, but why do they blur the nose of the target missile? (Unclassified answers only)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Wingnut Ninja posted:

If by that you mean, is there a term for saying "an enemy plane has launched a SAR/IR/AR missile at you", then no. At least not in the ALSA brevity manual where Fox 1/2/3 are defined.

Well, I guess there's "Vampire" for a hostile air-to-surface anti-ship missile. But that's the only one that comes to mind.

There's SPIKE, for "I've been lit up with radar", and SINGER which is also for radar warning (I think the difference is air-to-air vs ground based?) but the brevity code for a hostile SAM is "SAM".

The list makes fun reading:
https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a404426.pdf

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Neophyte posted:

"2700 Hiroshimas - not great, not terrible"
- the ghost of Gen. Thomas S. Power

Current US arsenal, ~1.5 Gt. Peak arsenal had 5x the warheads, and probably a lot of larger ones, so let's say 15 Gt.

at 173,000 terawatts, that's 6 minutes of solar flux hitting the earth.

So we just need to MRSI the missiles to all go off within 6 minutes, and we can overpower the sun.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
If we're posting missile videos with great soundtracks, this is a perennial fave:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDL_pIPScSI

Includes actual footage of (dummy) warhead impacts.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Kesper North posted:

Bunker oil, used for crude purposes.

mods?

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

glynnenstein posted:

Saudi Arabia has said they will obtain nuclear weapons if Iran does so.

I assume that means buy them from Pakistan. I recall reading somewhere that overtures had been made.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Man I feel bad for this one:

quote:

Applicant has worked in Iraq for many years in support of U.S. objectives. In the mid-2000s, her family was threatened with death unless Applicant and her siblings quit their jobs. Two of Applicant’s siblings engaged in numerous actions harmful to U.S. interests, whether in response to this letter or not. Applicant’s relationship with them, even if broken off after receipt of the SOR, suggests that she could come to the attention of persons hostile to the U.S., as she already did in the recent past. Most significantly, she has an immediate family relationship with two persons who have engaged in actions hostile to U.S. interests. As noted above, the Judge failed to evaluate Applicant’s case in light of Disqualifying Condition 7(d). Favorable decision reversed. CASE NO: 17-01981.a1

Your family was blackmailed, so you're hosed too.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
There's still a lot of jungle to hide in, and a whole population that isn't in the mood for our poo poo.

You'd get a higher body count, maybe lower American casualties, but you'd never win that war by killing Vietnamese.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
YouTube keeps recommending me this video and it's highly relevant to this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVZmFISzqwY

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
A podless hustler

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Back Hack posted:

One of the biggest threats to submarines are helicopter equipped with torps and sonar buoys. Giving submarines a relatively safe AA defense against them is a huge upgrade in a subs survivability in a wartime situation.

Why don't we have more SAM equipped submarines then? I imagine whatever disadvantages prevent that from working will work against Groversub.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

General Battuta posted:

Hello great thread. Speaking of cryptography and secret orders, I’m doing research for a novel and it would really help the Authenticity if I could include some fake message traffic, all formatted fancy and poo poo. Do any of you know what kind of message formats would be used *during* a nuclear strike? I’m talking after the EAM has gone out and everyone’s launching - the chatter you’d get once the balloon is up. Vintage formats are okay but 2010s era is best. Obviously this is the kind of thing that’s highly classified but maybe I can fake it :v:

I decided to do some googling and found this, which is interesting:
http://mt-milcom.blogspot.com/p/what-is-emergency-action-message-or-eam.html?m=1

According to this, there's a lot of traffic going over the radio networks even in peace time - reconnaissance reports, troop orders, and so on. So it's not just nuclear launch orders.

This has a neat breakdown from a technical perspective as an outside observer: https://www.numbers-stations.com/military/usa/hfgcs/

I get the sense that most messages are highly coded strings of NATO phonetic alphabet letters, so the message itself will be opaque and you might as well write the meaning.

NightGyr fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 12, 2020

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Well this is neat, you sent me down a rabbit hole an I discovered:

a log of all EAMs
a memoir that's mysterious about the purpose of the messages but explains how they get retransmitted

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

General Battuta posted:

Strings of brevity code are perfect! I don’t think you need to understand the message contents to get some eerie emotional effect.

The scenes in First Strike (later included in The Day After) have a serious effect on me. It's like doing paperwork, but with lives on the line in a very immediate sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPEBROvR9w

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Hauldren Collider posted:

Definitely not. Years of lead in Italy, FARC, half of Africa, the PLO, etc already laps any numbers the US supported and is barely scratching the surface

The US maybe supported a tiny handful such as the Mujahideen

Do coups count? Right wing death squads?

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Captain von Trapp posted:

I've never seen DoE classified information, but apparently unlike even the most secret squirrel DoD or IC compartments, DoE classification doesn't expire even in theory. It's pretty :catstare:

Don't forget "born secret", where even if you discovered it independently, they can still claim it's classified.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

drgitlin posted:

Because they stopped using lists of random words and had to get all Operation Super Extreme High Speed Low Drag Badass Killing poo poo Eternally because the point was no longer to obscure the project but to sound like a high-speed, low-drag, big-beard badass.

Everyone wants a big beard badass look and forgets that real operators look like nerds.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Teleportation is a form of time travel, since outrunning the speed of light means you can arrive somewhere before the light has and tell them the future.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Guest2553 posted:

Don't leave out the people who drive them.

Oh ye of little faith.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

I was very disappointed that Jane's F-15 listed nuclear capability on the box but you couldn't actually fly a mission with a nuke.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Wing size has to do with payload, and proportions are important to keep the flying characteristics nice. But a bomber carries much denser cargo than an airliner so they can use a skinnier fuselage.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Lou Takki posted:

Checks out, 80% of the time I spent working in the Navy was cleaning or chipping/painting until I put on E6.

From Last of the Tin Can Sailors, chipping paint was a thing because the ships were delivered with too much flammable paint and it needed to be removed before they'd see combat.

The captains who didn't chip their paint had worse outcomes when their ships got lit up.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Captain von Trapp posted:

I'm not sure it would even be that big of an inconvenience. Dump some shielding dirt around where you want the actual hole, keep it wet to mitigate dust, wear a respirator, do a bunch of horizontal drilling. Really drilling might be the one of the easiest single things to do safely on a radiation-contaminated site. Certainly easier than farming or living there.

Unless you contaminate the reservoir itself?

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
https://mobile.twitter.com/OperatorMaid/status/1245154580054319105

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

This isn’t an original quote, but the day we understand that slide is the day we win the war.

At least the slide that quote was made about had some resemblance to reality:

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Welp, I know what I'd be reading if the libraries weren't all closed for Rona.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Have we talked about that time that Colonel Theodore Roosevelt leaked a letter to the press because a bunch of his troops were getting sick with malaria, and were at risk for yellow fever yet?

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2020/april/uss-theodore-roosevelt-commanding-officer-followed-example-colonel

Well that's just a bunch of beautiful historical irony.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Didn't the ship end up going to port after the collision anyway? What'd they say when there weren't any marines on board?

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Oh you can always airdrop them without a chute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-YsSL65quM

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Schadenboner posted:

I was thinking more new-construction/contemporary. You hear about how silent diesel engines are now and I was thinking towards a situation where that would be in an SSB, the only one I really came up with would be India/Pakistan (the only two nuclear powers with geographic continuity on a significant scale that I can think of). Because range isn't as much of an issue for those two countries (the "where" is probably always going to be the Indian Ocean).

Just a dumb thought exercise. :shrug:

A ballistic missile submarine doesn't make sense without nuclear warheads, and if you can make a warhead you can make a reactor.

Also, if you want to make a super quiet nuke sub, you could replace the diesel with a reactor and use a design that can be idled without active pumps?

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
I would not lump Iran in with DPRK. Iran is much more like Saudi Arabia - human rights violating dictatorship, not suicidal madman. Iran wants to talk poo poo about Israel and sponsor guerilla wars to stoke domestic popularity and win regional power struggles, not go on a crusade.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Captain Log posted:

I love cozy, enclosed spaces. I wish fallout shelters were still en vogue.

https://www.realtor.com/news/unique-homes/underground-house-las-vegas/

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

English Electric Lightning?

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Blistex posted:

Maybe. . . and I'm going out on a limb here. . . but what if Trump's "17x faster" was just more verbal diarrhea on his part, and has absolutely no basis in reality?

I assume the missile does Mach 17, and "17 times the speed of sound" got Cuisinarted through his brain and came out with what we heard.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Bring back star forts

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Or just eliminate the F-35B and make the Marines fly F-35C like the rest of the navy. They already fly F-18s

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
B-52 did that, then they took a HARM up the butt.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/10314/the-time-a-f-4g-wild-weasels-anti-radiation-missile-blew-apart-a-b-52s-tail

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I love how the (literally) ultimate penaid is "set off another nuke", because in the cold war even problems with your nuclear weapons can be solved with more nuclear weapons.

Incoming nukes? Set off nukes to take them out! Warheads getting intercepted? Set off more nukes as decoys! Need to throw up a debris cloud in front of missiles? Need to power a laser? Need to power a space ship? Nukes! Nukes! Nukes!

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
I imagine you're only going to get a 40 foot draft on a river if it's been specifically dredged for shipping. And all of those are channels leading to major cities, which doesn't leave you much privacy. I like the offshore plan, with a possible followup of a rendezvous with the Glomar Explorer to bring it into a dry dock under cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Warmachine posted:

Plus, there's much juicer targets for nuclear weapons on the ground. Space is a weird and wild place to fight, and there's little point to investing the money to lob a nuclear weapon at something that can more cheaply be killed by a grad student's term project.

Sure there is, if you're launching a wave of hundreds or thousands in a first strike, setting off a dozen in space to get EMP effects is worth it to get the rest through and disable defense capabilities.

Really, cold war planning was much more about "why not a nuke" rather than "why a nuke"