Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
CHAD ALERT
WOOP WOOP
CHAD ALERT
POP COLLAR
WOOP WOOP
POP COLLAR
WOOP WOOP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
SERVICE GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP ATOMICS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62zu9CQj2_I

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Yes, but what about ABM sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

joat mon posted:

The sun is shining at the earth at 2700 Hiroshima nukes a second.
A tent of earth forms above the middle of Curtis LeMay's grave.

"2700 Hiroshimas - not great, not terrible"
- the ghost of Gen. Thomas S. Power

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Yeah, if you want to hide a needle you can put in a big pile of hay. But if you REALLY want to hide it you can it put it in a big pile of other needles.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

shame on an IGA posted:

That's a totally different thing. Block heaters are about keeping the cold cold cylinder wall from sinking the heat of compression faster than the fuel vapors can reach their flash point.

poo poo like #6 Fuel oil or Bunker C has to be kept around 150°f or else it's too thick to flow through a pipe.

IIRC there's a OSHA or similar video somewhere breaking down an industrial accident at a refinery, involving hot sulfur-laden thick heavy crude oil eating through piping not designed for it and the workers not trained for that. Bad things happen.

Obligatory cold war reference: the giant refinery firestorm that kicks off Red Storm Rising I guess

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
The accidental dense pack nuclear defense strategy!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Then what does Dyno Mutt mean?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I think if we're fair about it there's genuine concerns in these decisions too. Nobody is particularly enthused about sending out soldiers or pilots in some motorized packing crate with a gun bolted on it.

Why not add some armor to it so they don't get turned into swiss cheese and die?

Hey, this missile means they don't have to facetank a Soviet division at 100 meters (and die).

You'll need a good non-jammable radar for that missile, here's this great one we developed so they don't die.

Thing's getting heavier, needs a better engine, otherwise the OPFOR will get behind them and they'll die.

etc.

It's not all pork-barrel politics. Effectiveness, survival, and honest uncertainty about how future conflicts will be fought and what the project will need to fight in them are part of it too.

edit: the Sgt. York of snipes

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

aphid_licker posted:

A secretality incident

If youre not careful it goes prompt secretal and then

Always gotta keep a screwdriver between the halves of your argument

The Demon Corpus

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Liar, liar, Pantsir's on fire?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

standard.deviant posted:

Underrated post
:tipshat:
(Thanks to Cyrano or whoever changed the thread title too!)

Anyway I wonder how many Su-24s Syria has left?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Caro planned his ops better than these clowns

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
smh they missed the chance to call it the Flow -B

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

aphid_licker posted:

Host nation government has got to be thrilled at this show of confidence in their stability:

Getting a real

vibe from that Forbes drawing

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

It's more likely than you think!

But you know what was also likely but never happened?

NUCLEAR POWERED TRAINS

Goddammit it's been 70+ years A.T. where's our atomic Amtraks?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Memento posted:

Patrick Tilley? Is that you?

I had no idea who that was and now thanks to you I've got a new set of books to read! :britain:

MrChips posted:

want to taste the forbidden spicy soup

I've got some bad news for you from Dr. Schumann...

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
We need to watch out for any countries having sudden drastic increases of new squash courts and giant-novelty-pencil lead factories.

Captain von Trapp posted:

Honeywell makes the HG9900 that claims to be good to 25 ug. Over a 30 minute flight time that should be something like 400 meters. Of course you need a good gravity model, a way to actually correct out the error you measured in flight, etc. Not something you can do in your back yard, but if you're a nation state that can scrape together a couple of billion dollars, sure.

Easy - the missile can know where it is by knowing where it isn't, then subtracting the difference, which is the deviation. Then it can use that deviation to generate corrective commands to drive the missile from a position where it is to a position where it isn't and, arriving at a position where it wasn't, it now is. :pseudo:

:tipshat: Col. Grill R.I.P.

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 12, 2020

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Pilots - B stands for Boring, A stands for lAme, F stands for Fsexy

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Cat Mattress posted:

[...] the Mary Worth.

If they make a stealth version called the Aldo Kelrast then all is forgiven!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L951UPDh_CU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Just found an amazing old documentary about ww1 air power. Notable highlights are discussions about manufacturing techniques and manufacturing flaws on specific planes presented by restorers at the smithsonian while they are rebuilding the planes.

E. And then demonstrated by modern pilots flying the planes and having them break and catch fire, and interviews with ww1 pilots reminiscing how the planes always broke and caught fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY1GM3VIyF8

Do the modern pilots also get uncontrollable castor-oil induced diarrhea? I won't watch it if it doesn't have literal poopysuits. MY IMMERSION!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
It's like if you made a model of the BR only out of spun sugar and then had a St. Bernard dog pant over it all day.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
iirc the old cold war "seven days to the Rhine" style plans that were unearthed in Poland, Czechslovakia, etc. involved significant numbers of tac nukes to kick off the initial Warsaw Pact preemptive strike

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

mlmp08 posted:

Sometimes, there’s maybe not a whole lot going on.

https://twitter.com/thewtfnation/status/1325533534799491072?s=21

https://twitter.com/StevenBeynon/status/1325534280576098305

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Guys I'm beginning to think this whole "war" thing might be a bad idea!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

CarForumPoster posted:

What would this thread even be about if not for the F-35, YF-23 and Avro Arrow dreaming debate?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

PCjr sidecar posted:

Honk honk here comes a tenured engineering professor with Thoughts!

:discourse:

James Hogan didn't even have the tenured professor bit but that didn't stop him!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
The Vancouver? Wiki says the Halifax classes all got modernized, and the Vancouver was refit at Seaspan Marine Corporation's Victoria Shipyards. But I don't know how you can tell one Halifax from another just on an overhead shot.

edit: The frigates listed as homeported in CFB Esquimalt are: HMCS Vancouver (FFH 331), HMCS Regina (FFH 334), HMCS Calgary (FFH 335), HMCS Winnipeg (FFH 338), and HMCS Ottawa (FFH 341). Could be any of those I guess?

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 2, 2021

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Esquimalt Dock big (1925):

An oddly soothing modern drone video that gives a better perspective of "big":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmuKTOmt0pw

Looks pretty out there too

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

zoux posted:

I don't mean what their doctrine is I mean can Macron unilaterally order a nuclear strike on the hated allemands and secure Alsace for all time

*Gallic shrug*

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

priznat posted:

The best representation of this was that episode of Better off Ted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqG1fX3ZaLQ

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Who wants an extremely 80's commercial for an amphibious plane? You do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQgHYmsxpMg

SEAWOLF

Or maybe you just want to chill between cocaine runs to and from Miami?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64ae46XiV0g

TURBO RENEGADE

All taken from now-defunct Lake Aircraft page. Hey, it's up for sale (again) if you want to buy it!

edit: dammit how do I shot mp4s, hang on
edit2: fine YT it is

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 18, 2021

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Ignoring the people who'd get squished for a moment, would it still be better for the plane to ditch in the sea vs on the beach? I assume you'd still choose the water, but maybe a flat sandy beach might descrease the chance of the plane nosing in and flipping? I dunno, I'm not a plane toucher.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
either way you should land as you CFIT

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
BTW The Final Countdown is streaming for free on Tubi right now if people want to watch it.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I liked The War Game better than Threads

edit: Internet Archive has it for free
https://archive.org/details/TheWarGame_201405

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
iirc one of those Warsaw Pact battle scenarios they unearthed was one where they show a shitload of nuclear strikes all over western Europe, but France is completely untouched.

edit: Seven Days to the River Rhine

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 13, 2021

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Mucus Maximus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
according to globalsecurity.org

quote:

In 1980 Spain was not a member of NATO, but coordinated her defenses with some NATO countries by means of bilateral agreements. The primary mission of the Spanish navy was to help maintain sea control in three key areas: the Mediterranean west of the Balearic and Alboran Islands, the Straits of Gibraltar, and the Atlantic between Spain and the Canary Islands

After the rapprochement between Spain and NATO, by the late 80s

quote:

By the end of the Cold War, the Spanish navy (Armada) was relatively large, ranking second in total tonnage, after the British navy, among European NATO nations in the late 1980s. Its ship inventory, although aging, was being upgraded through a construction and modernization program. The total strength of the navy in 1986 was 57,000 personnel,broken down as follows: 44,800 fleet and naval aviation personnel and 12,200 marines. As part of its personnel reorganization, its strength was reduced by 10,000 to 47,300 personnel, including marines, as of 1987. Of this number, about 34,000 were conscripts. Obligated service was 18 months.

Ship strength of the navy in the late 1980s was about 60 combat ships, including 1 general-purpose aircraft carrier, 8 diesel submarines (torpedo attack), 5 DDGs, 7FFGs, 9 amphibious ships, 12 minesweepers and 4 corvettes. In addition, the navy had more than 60 combat cutters of various designations and more than 100 various amphibious landing craft in their amphibious flotilla. The Spanish Navy had more than 140 auxiliary ships.

Basically they could secure the western Med, various ports along the coast, do good ASW patrols and was a serious regional force that was eventually transitioning to a stronger force that could hang with the USN and RN. They planned additional ships into the 90s including more expeditionary type forces, and additional DDGs, subs, frigates, and landing ships. The Soviet Union collapsed before this occurred.