Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

This is the ideal outcome tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
When I talked about why a dog would be easy to tell I listed some very measurable characteristics that vary between every single dog.

I feel like the cat people are coming from "well my cat hangs out in the kitchen at dinner time and hides when people visit and comes to bother me around 7"

It might be possible to spot some fakes or intuit something is wrong, but I think you're all way underestimating how much you'd just feel like something was "off" about your pet without realizing they were actually different, especially if an SO gaslit you about it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Then the same is true for dogs. This argument sucks.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Prince and the Pawpurr

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

^^^ yeah the double standard stupidity is fuckin amazing, lmfao; referencing Dr. Lunchables

ikanreed posted:

When I talked about why a dog would be easy to tell I listed some very measurable characteristics that vary between every single dog.

I feel like the cat people are coming from "well my cat hangs out in the kitchen at dinner time and hides when people visit and comes to bother me around 7"

It might be possible to spot some fakes or intuit something is wrong, but I think you're all way underestimating how much you'd just feel like something was "off" about your pet without realizing they were actually different, especially if an SO gaslit you about it.

Yeah you should really stop talking, you obviously know nothing about cats, as made obvious by your stereotypes about them

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Cat people: dogs are kind of dumb and they roll around in all kinds of disgusting poo poo

Dog people: cats are incapable of love

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The interchangeability of cats is off to a hot start to become the threads next forbidden topic.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Bug Squash posted:

The interchangeability of cats is off to a hot start to become the threads next forbidden topic.

Dogs are a sandwich, but cats are a taco.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
It does depend on the cat and owner though.

Like 95% of cat-owner combinations it wouldn't be possible, but if you get the right combination of a skitty/anti-social cat that doesn't spend much time with the owner, very simple/common markings (say all black or wild-type tabby), a full-sibling living in the same area, and maybe a multi-cat household where each individual cat is more or less left to it's own devices it could definitely happen

OTOH, the same is probably true of dogs to some degree, if you have six untrained pugs or some other stranger-friendly breed, or a pack of aloof hard to train dogs like huskies you could well fail to notice if one of them was swapped out for a sibling or similarly related dog (in some breeds, any other member of that breed is the genetic equivalent of a sibling; inbreeding is a heck of a thing).

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Johnny Truant posted:

^^^^^^ yup

yeah, it's this. anyone saying you can't do it with dogs but can with cats has no idea what they're talking about, lol

especially after a year of lockdown

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ikanreed posted:

Every night at bed time my cat jumps onto the bed, nuzzles my face and flumps against my body for stroking. He also likes lying on my lap in a very particular way, with my hand arranged just so. Animals are ridiculously distinctive not just in appearance but also behaviours. If you have lived with an animal and are not aware of this then you are remarkably unobservant.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

therattle posted:

Every night at bed time my cat jumps onto the bed, nuzzles my face and flumps against my body for stroking. He also likes lying on my lap in a very particular way, with my hand arranged just so. Animals are ridiculously distinctive not just in appearance but also behaviours. If you have lived with an animal and are not aware of this then you are remarkably unobservant.

My sister has two identical black cats, siblings from the same litter. They're very easy to tell apart. One will relentlessly attack any bare feet but is happy to let you pet her anywhere. The other will only let you pet her in one particular room of the house.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Just lol if you don’t have your cat’s unique “feed me” cry seared into your brain.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

No cat owner has ever been visually or cognitively impaired in history, so the personal experiences of the thread's cat fans are universally transferable.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You couldn't even replace one of my pet rats without me noticing, let alone my cat

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cythereal posted:

The other will only let you pet her in one particular room of the house.

Brb, designating and furnishing a Petatorium

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Beachcomber posted:

Brb, designating and furnishing a Petatorium

Hope you asked your housemate first

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Dazerbeams posted:

Just lol if you don’t have your cat’s unique “feed me” cry way of patting your arm with all claws out seared into your brain.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Bug Squash posted:

No cat owner has ever been visually or cognitively impaired in history, so the personal experiences of the thread's cat fans are universally transferable.

there are people who can't tell their *kids* apart

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Bug Squash posted:

you're cognitively impaired if you think people with actual disabilities are what the guy who thinks it's reasonable to not be able to tell cats apart but insane that anyone would mistake one dog for another was talking about

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [26m] partner [28f] of 4 years didn't come home one night and have had minimal contact for a month. Refusing to tell me if we are breaking up or not.

quote:

tl:dr Serious relationship possibly ending but she refuses to actually tell me anything. At a loss as to what's next.

I have been in a 4 year relationship with a woman I am very much in love with, that I have been planning on proposing to next year. She has had a very traumatic life(death, drugs, incarcerated father, neglect, physical abuse, multiple TBI's) from the time she was an infant until we met after she escaped an abusive 7 year relationship. Things have never been easy for us and there has definitely been resentment built between us from poor decisions on both sides but we never stopped feeling like we were made for each other. We even refer to each other as husband and wife because we both agreed bf/gf didn't really encapsulate how we felt about each other or reflected the promises we'd made.

She was laid off in September which led to her having to quit her methadone treatment cold turkey. If you're not aware it is one of the most brutal things to withdraw from because of the sheer length of time it takes. It is basically coming off of heroin but for months as opposed to weeks. The dosage she was on could possibly take more than a year for the mental effects to subside.

It has been hellish for her and I've done my best to support us but 1 month ago the pressure got the better of me and we had a pretty bad fight. I said some things I will always regret. That night she was supposed to go out with a friend and she ended up not coming back.

For weeks she refused any contact. I called and texted her multiple times a day, having literally no idea where she was or what was happening. She had only the clothes on her back and access to maybe $50. I was worried to say the least.

I finally caught a break and found an email on our shared account that after some detective work led me to an address where she had found work and a place to stay. Bare in mind if i hadn't seen that i would still to this day have no idea where she was. I brought her a change of clothes and some money and waited for her to show up. She was angry that I wasn't respecting her space and refused to talk to me for more than a couple of minutes.

It's now been a month and we've only spoken the one time in person and a couple of texts to tell me she loves me, she needs space and time to get to know herself. I drove to meet her and bring her more clothes and some groceries last night and all she did was tell me to not disrespect her by invading her space and when I begged her to just talk to me she said she didn't have time and didn't need to explain herself to anyone. I will admit I ugly cried the entire 45 minute drive home.

She is acting like we are splitting up but all of her things are still in our apartment, her dog and cats I'm taking care of and her bills I'm still paying. She refuses to speak to me or even tell me what is happening. I don't know if we are breaking up or if she just needs some time?

I keep telling myself it's just her brain chemistry that's all messed up from withdrawing and she will eventually realize what she's doing. It feels like we are breaking up but the not actually knowing is what hurts the most. This is destroying me and I honestly don't know what to do next, besides wait.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ben shapino posted:

you're cognitively impaired if you think people with actual disabilities are what the guy who thinks it's reasonable to not be able to tell cats apart but insane that anyone would mistake one dog for another was talking about

I love this sentence.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for giving away a dog my sister gave me and refusing to pay her back?

quote:

The last few months have been the hardest of my life. I (29M) lost my wife over 5 months ago and I still struggle everyday, missing her, grieving our baby (she was 2 months pregnant), and just trying to hang on when I wake up in the mornings .

It hasn’t been easy at all, still have my bad days and I’m so grateful for my family’s support in this. Don’t know how I would’ve made it without them.

The situation that happened with my sister started a couple weeks ago. During a zoom call with my family where they were all checking up on me, she kept talking about her friend who just had puppies and said maybe I’d benefit from having a pet companion.

I turned her down because this didn’t feel like the right time in my life to be making a commitment to being a dog owner when I can barely take care of myself. I get that it’s supposed to be a motivation but it’s just not what I wanted.

To have that responsibility when there’s so much else going on.

For some reason she really insisted on it. Then she actually surprised me by bringing the pup when she came to visit. My sister bought the dog off her friend and wanted to bring it as a surprise gift.

It took a lot to convince her to leave with the pup because again I didn’t want to be responsible for a pet.

Then she went and did something I couldn’t believe. She stopped by a couple days later early in the morning and left the pup by my door in a crate. Sent me a txt before I woke up.

I was so mad I even left her a ton of voicemails telling her to come get the dog.

My sister was really insistent on this and to give it a shot. Figured maybe she thought this was a John wick type of situation where having a pet to bond with would help with my grief.

She wasn’t letting this go and I said if she didn’t pick him up by the end of the day I’ll have to give him to someone else.

Luckily a friend of mine is a huge dog person (has two himself), and he was more than happy to take the pup off my hands.

My sister found out a few days later that I didn’t keep him and she was furious when she called. She couldn’t believe I simply gave him away when he costed her over $700 and now she wants me to pay her back for a gift I didn’t appreciate.

I’m seriously baffled by her reaction. With everything else going on I don’t know why she’s made a big deal about this. So yes she’s mad because I didn’t keep the dog and because I’m refusing to pay, which I think is fair. I didn’t want a dog in the first place.

This feels beyond insane and I don’t know why she’s so mad at me over this when I told her several times no. I don’t know maybe I’m missing something so I’d like to get thoughts from others here. Was I an rear end in a top hat in this situation?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Oh cool fifty new posts I wonder what sort of dram-

:catstare:

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [26m] partner [28f] of 4 years didn't come home one night and have had minimal contact for a month. Refusing to tell me if we are breaking up or not.

Probably needs to take the hint that his girlfriend is done with him/probably relapsing and start excising her from his life. "I need space" doesn't usually involve leaving all of your stuff behind, getting a new job, and moving to an undisclosed location. That's witness protection program.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

house of the dad posted:

Probably needs to take the hint that his girlfriend is done with him/probably relapsing and start excising her from his life. "I need space" doesn't usually involve leaving all of your stuff behind, getting a new job, and moving to an undisclosed location. That's witness protection program.

He's the second in her string of abusive relationships but playing the sympathy card for reddit. hth

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I get really bad vibes from this guy's post like he's really controlling and likes her because she's "damaged" and he wants to be savior type. I'm guessing the "I said some things I will always regret" was this coming to the surface in a very obvious way. Combine that with his very stalkerish way of tracking her down and I think it's clear this guy has problems. Her wanting 0 contact from him for weeks is obviously her breaking up with him.

At the same time, someone having to quit methadone cold turkey and completely disappearing would be pretty worrying, but I think it's obvious this guy is probably the wrong person to be "help" her in this situation.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Motronic posted:

He's the second in her string of abusive relationships but playing the sympathy card for reddit. hth

And you're basing this on... what exactly?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sephiRoth IRA posted:

To be fair that applies to pretty much any spike in posts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

house of the dad posted:

And you're basing this on... what exactly?

His post, which demonstrates he's a controlling stalker with boundary issues. Remember, this is the best version of himself he's able to present, and it still looks really sketchy.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR YOU

CAN YOU TELL CATS APART OR NOT?

wilderthanmild posted:

I get really bad vibes from this guy's post like he's really controlling and likes her because she's "damaged" and he wants to be savior type. I'm guessing the "I said some things I will always regret" was this coming to the surface in a very obvious way. Combine that with his very stalkerish way of tracking her down and I think it's clear this guy has problems. Her wanting 0 contact from him for weeks is obviously her breaking up with him.

At the same time, someone having to quit methadone cold turkey and completely disappearing would be pretty worrying, but I think it's obvious this guy is probably the wrong person to be "help" her in this situation.

I got this from it. I really want to believe it's two people with hosed-up backgrounds who've managed to find happiness regardless, but.... nah. I read it again and changed my mind. Dogs cats and bills left behind, I'd be worried too, and do what I could to make contact.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 2, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Motronic posted:

His post, which demonstrates he's a controlling stalker with boundary issues. Remember, this is the best version of himself he's able to present, and it still looks really sketchy.

Not... really?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Motronic posted:

Lol

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I don't really know what you guys expect from a person when their partner of four years up and vanishes into thin air, leaving all of their stuff behind and 0 explanation of what's going on. She's a person with a history of traumatic abuse and drug addiction so it sounds like somebody an effort should be made to locate instead of "well I better respect these boundaries." Leaping immediately to "he must be abusing her" or that he's a crazy stalker is extreme and has very little to do with what he actually posted. It's sketchy leaps in logic and reading between the lines.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

Dogs are a sandwich, but cats are a taco.

gently caress outta here, cats are pizza :colbert:

Sanford posted:

ahh, i see you've played catty-doggy before

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Motronic posted:

Wanting to get in contact with your partner of four years who disappeared on you like a puff of smoke after events that could obviously be affecting their mental health and decision-making is stalking now? Would you really just go "well I guess that's that!"

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Sanford posted:

I got this from it. I really want to believe it's two people with hosed-up backgrounds who've managed to find happiness regardless, but.... nah. I read it again and changed my mind. Dogs cats and bills left behind, I'd be worried too, and do what I could to make contact.

I have three cats and would easily be able to tell if they were lookalikes. That said being a crazy cat person, I'm probably extremely biased. Dogs all looks like identical misshapen clay blobs, so I totally get that guy's wife being suspicious he swapped them out.

Also agree with dad ^^^ here. Three month relationship? Possible serial killer stalking behavior. Four years? I think I might do something similar, especially if there was the possibility my spouse had relapsed.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Beachcomber posted:

Maybe I should try some of my wife's expired adderall and see what happens.

idk if this is supposed to be humor but for the love of gently caress please do not take other peoples’ medicine, and do not take expired meds either, nor a combination of the two. Some folks with ADHD (like moi) can’t take stimulants because it worsens other conditions. Meds also degrade so they end up less effective.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

They had a fight, at which point she left and all attempts to contact her have been met with "kindly gently caress off." Basically the only sticking point is that she still hasn't bothered to go back to get her stuff yet, but it seems pretty clear she broke up with him and he isn't able to accept that in anything approaching a healthy way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

house of the dad posted:

I don't really know what you guys expect from a person when their partner of four years up and vanishes into thin air, leaving all of their stuff behind and 0 explanation of what's going on. She's a person with a history of traumatic abuse and drug addiction so it sounds like somebody an effort should be made to locate instead of "well I better respect these boundaries." Leaping immediately to "he must be abusing her" or that he's a crazy stalker is extreme and has very little to do with what he actually posted. It's sketchy leaps in logic and reading between the lines.

No no no you see you need to understand the vibe of the thread. All OP's are insanely evil people with something to hide. If your partner of 4 years just vanishes then you just move on with your life and make no attempt to find them. Just beep boop erase that person from your memory.