Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol if you're American and care about your heritage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for asking my husband to stop scratching his face?

quote:

I know it's seems a little crazy but stay with me.

So any time we go out into the world to do shopping or anything I don't like taking my hubby because he touches things and then scratches his face. I've asked him so many times to stop doing it because I don't want him to touch something that someone coughed or sneezed on get sick and not know it and take it to his 85 year old grandpa who has leukemia or me but he won't listen.

Just today we went to order lunch he was touching the menu that a lady had coughed on and then touched his face. I asked him to stop and he tried to argue with me so I just walked out.

AITA for asking this or is it my OCD about cleanliness getting out of hand?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

hawowanlawow posted:

lol if you're American and care about your heritage

Eh, my family's recent immigrants so my "heritage" is stories that were, until my dad died two years ago, in living memory. It's not performatively wearing a strange outfit for the local version of Multicultural Awareness Day, it's things that have affected how I was raised. Not gonna carry old grudges though; I may be part-English but I'm not Northern in their regional rivalries, nor am I gonna give the stinkeye to folks just because their ancestors who are now dead pogromed my ancestors who are now dead.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm not gonna fault someone for getting weird about their family heritage, but I will absolutely fault someone for living in the States and calling a Scot a British colonizer. Dude can gently caress right off.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for bringing my [44M] girlfriend [20F] to my daughter’s [18F] high school graduation ceremony?

I'll never understand divorcees' obsession with estrangement of their ex partner's affection. You don't want it anymore, why do you care who else has it? It feels super petty.

Now dating someone your daughter likely went to HS with? That's weird as gently caress.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Guy's a dick but the Scots did do quite a bit of colonisation in Ireland...

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Whorelord posted:

Guy's a dick but the Scots did do quite a bit of colonisation in Ireland...

So did the Irish in Scotland, really. :shrug:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Coca Koala posted:

I’ve had that post rattling around in my head for a full day now. It’s a modern tragedy - this poor soul is torn apart by conflicting desires. On one hand, she wants to be a biscuit brown baby, and who among us could truly say they’ve never felt the same? And on the other, she wants to be getting loving railed, as per - and I think we all feel that way, that longing for human contact. But she can’t have both - one necessarily destroys the other. She’s forced to choose, and in choosing, deny herself the truth of her identity.

It’s poetry.

Use Q-tips and some Gravy Master and things will work out OK.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Pope Hilarius II posted:

So did the Irish in Scotland, really. :shrug:

I'm sure there's some Pictish nationalist trapped on an island somewhere salty about Dal Riata but the internet up there's poo poo as so you never hear from them.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

The Hidden Dildo

quote:

So me (27M) and my girlfriend (26F) have been together for a little over a year. We have always had great sex and have been able to be open about what we like/dislike. We've started opening up to using toys, we just got her the fist vibrator she's ever owned. She always said she wasn't sure about dildos or other toys that are meant to get inserted.

This morning she was in a hurry to leave the house due to an emergency. I was helping her pack up a bag for her when I found a red velvet bag, hidden in the dog bag she takes for her dog. I took a quick look and saw a vibrating dildo. I didn't say anything at the time because she really needed to go and I didn't want to hold her up.

Now let me say that I am not mad about the dildo. I am actually a little excited that she's experimenting her self. She knows that I wouldn't judge this. It does peek my curiosity as to why she didn't tell me about it.

So my question is why would she be hiding it and how do I approach her about it? I don't want to end up fighting over a dildo, but we've fought over stupider stuff lol.

tl;dr I found a dildo my girlfriend has been hidding

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

It's his, he's posting for deniability.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SoftNum posted:

I'll never understand divorcees' obsession with estrangement of their ex partner's affection. You don't want it anymore, why do you care who else has it? It feels super petty.

Now dating someone your daughter likely went to HS with? That's weird as gently caress.

What? Divorce is just a breakup with the government involved and there's a million reasons people break up/divorce and not all of them entail some complete severance of all connection. In general I would say it's the exact opposite, which is exactly why breakups/divorces are hard, very mixed emotions all around. It would be Some Type of Way even if the new girlfriend wasn't evidence of a profound creepiness on the part of the ex-husband, like if he had brought a person who at least was old enough to have all their rights.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm not gonna fault someone for getting weird about their family heritage, but I will absolutely fault someone for living in the States and calling a Scot a British colonizer. Dude can gently caress right off.

2nd generation "technically white" American she can shut the gently caress up about any culture/colonizer issues regardless. She sounds like someone who tries to claim she's the same as any poc since she's Irish.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

They're gonna poo poo themselves when they realise British people can and do routinely go to actual Irish pubs and listen to Irish folk music

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Guess the reason before reading the spoilers

AITA for grounding my son after he said he got into a argument with my boyfriend over something from 10 years ago?

quote:

My oldest son and boyfriend (H) had a bad relationship ever since H had accidentally burned down our house. He put in a pizza while me, my 2 sons and daughter went out to the mall and H had forgot about it and left to go back to his apartment, when we got back home our kitchen was on fire and by the time the firetrucks got here the whole downstairs was on fire. Our house was pretty much destroyed and our husky passed away in the fire when I told my boyfriend about it he remembered his pizza, he apologized and I forgave him but my son never did (my other 2 were too young to remember). My cousin took said she could watch my kids until we got a new house and I stayed with H at his house (it was too small to hold all of us). A lot of our stuff was damaged but not enough to be thrown away, so we got a new house 2 years later and my son still hasn't forgiven H.

It only got worse when he got older he would never say hello to H when he came over and would always avoid him, like one time when H came over and I cooked dinner my son ate upstairs instead of downstairs with the family. Today my son was on a call with his friends playing video games and my son lost and said "What the hell" so H went upstairs to his room to tell him "Look stop all that cursing your not grown" and my son pretty much ignored him until H and said "Why are you ignoring me answer me" and my son yelled at him to get out his room. After that they got into a loud argument, I ran upstairs to tell them to stop and my son yelled out "Have you not gotten it yet? I don't like you, you burned down our house and want to act like your my dad? Leave me alone!"
I told H i'll handle this and told my son that he is acting like a child and that I understand that he was upset years ago but now you need to let it go its been 10 years and that H has apologized and that he needs to forgive him. He said "I don't care, he is a stupid person who you took back after he burned down our old home with all our stuff and our dog I'm not forgiving him. I don't even know why you took this patchy bearded idiot back anyways, last week he made fries and left the oven on for a hour after he was done and it didn't get turned off until I came downstairs and seen it was on he's a irresponsible idiot." I told him he was grounded for disrespecting him and that he needs to get over it.
I called my friend Y to tell her what happened and she said "Honestly he's kinda has a right to be mad he lost his childhood home when he was 5 and his dog" so now I fell like I could have handled it better so reddit AITA?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Future estranged parent if she doesn't die in a house fire first

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
"Stop cussing you're not grown"
and
"You're acting like a child"
They've really got the son backed into a corner there

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The Hidden Dildo

For some reason the use of the phrase "vibrating dildo" sounds like some square from the 50's talking about "a marihuana ciagrette".

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for grounding my son after he said he got into a argument with my boyfriend over something from 10 years ago?

:stare: I thought it was gonna be something a bit sillier like beating him at a video game or accidentally tossing his favorite comic book out but nooooope. Yikes.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I thought it was going to be an age gap story where they were both adults who had gone to high school together.

This part is like a spoiler within a spoiler, though.
I don't even know why you took this patchy bearded idiot back anyways, last week he made fries and left the oven on for a hour after he was done and it didn't get turned off until I came downstairs and seen it was on he's a irresponsible idiot.
Kid is right if this is true.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

AITA for eating a potato when I watch Avatar

quote:

Okay so I live with my dad and step dad. Recently I started watching Avatar because I have nothing else to do. My stepdad bought a bag of potatoes and i started baking then eating them. Normal stuff right? Well yesterday I was watching Avatar and eating my potato when my dad comes in the living room with the bag in hand. He tells me not to eat them anymore. I was kinda confused because nether my stepdad or dad eats them so its not like i’m taking them from someone else. I asked him why and he proceeded to explain that its a waste of money because i’m the only one who eats them regularly and I only do it when i’m watching avatar. I tried to explain to him that i don’t only eat them when i’m watching this show and that I actually like them. But he basically said that his word is finally and that if i really like them then i should get my boyfriend to buy them for me which is weird be he almost always get upset when i ask my boyfriend for things instead of him. I told my friends about it and they think its funny that we got into an argument about potatoes and just told me drop it.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

DemoneeHo posted:

She didn't tell the dad about the fire and was still picking up child support even though she dumped the kids for a couple of years.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i dont remember if this was posted in here or not but it's very good and reminded me of the gooncamp/slave labor hawaii fort

Is it legal to 'hide' my child from the government?

quote:

Is it legal to take your children off the grid? I don't want to put my children in public school, and I want to raise them in a more primitive manner. I want to keep them away from technology and modern people. I will be on Hawaii at the time of my birth.

Is it legal to keep children out of school and off government records? If not, what's the punishment if I'm caught?

From the comments: (bolding is OP's responses)

quote:

It is not de facto illegal to ruin your children's future by failing to educate them in a way that will allow them to get a high school equivalency or become employable later in life.

They won't need employment. They would live primitively too. I am speaking about reality. I want to live the way we did many years ago. That doesn't make me stupid or abusive or neglective like many of the people in the comments are accusing.

If you want a huge acreage to live your simple life in without disturbances from society you need money to buy that. And pay taxes on that land. It may not be much, but it will be needed.

I never said I didn't plan to get a job. My children don't need to know that I have one. I can hide that from them....I'd teach them when they're older. And mature enough to handle it. Seventeen, maybe. I have to teach them its bad first. But that they have no other choice than to obey corrupt society. But just because they have to obey it doesn't mean they have to believe in it. They have to learn its bad first.

In the comments it's revealed that based on previous posts, OP is 16 and barely graduated high school. unsurprisingly.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

HMS Beagle posted:

AITA for eating a potato when I watch Avatar

They want him to stop appropriating irish culture

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

quote:

Me and their father had a bad break so I didn't even tell him about the fire he would just pay child support and see them a bit during that time so he didn't even know until 2013.

quote:

He put it in before I left and then forgot about it and left to go feed his cat.

quote:

I shouldn't have to give up the love of my life just because my son is being petty.

quote:

Ok but still he needs to show my boyfriend respect, I will get him in therapy but again I don't think that they are going to do anything but just tell my son to get over it.

Die in a fire would be apt but given the swiss cheese brain bf of hers that's a real possibility.

Also, as someone who's left a frozen pizza in the oven overnight while high on ambien, you can't burn a house down that way, it just gets smokey as hell and turns into a charcoal biscuit. bf definitely did something else that burned down the house and lied to cover his rear end.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 5, 2020

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

JacquelineDempsey posted:

For some reason the use of the phrase "vibrating dildo" sounds like some square from the 50's talking about "a marihuana ciagrette".

that, or as I read it at first, it was turned on when he found it. which makes it better.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

pentyne posted:

Die in a fire would be apt but given the swiss cheese brain bf of hers that's a real possibility.

You missed the best/worst response

quote:

He has been in my kids life since 11 years my youngest used to respect him but they overheard the argument and now hate him so thats another thing I need to fix.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Shirec posted:

Some spicy ones from Dear Prudence

From Reluctant Parent

This is actually hosed up and OP should stick to her guns.

My wife's cousin adopted a black child and as white Minnesotans they raised him as white as white can be. This wasn't a problem until he became a teen and then suddenly he was a black boy trying to date white girls and was a black-boy-raised-by-whites so he was called "oreo" by other black kids. He hated his own skin and was called racial slurs by his brother and sister. He had a really hard time since he basically was an outcast from both worlds. When he graduated from high school he left for college on the East Coast and doesn't visit his parents very often.

He's in his thirties now and has his own wife and kids, but when you catch him in a moment he'll tell you how messed up growing up in Minnesota was for an adopted black youth.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Agrikk posted:

He's in his thirties now and has his own wife and kids, but when you catch him in a moment he'll tell you how messed up growing up in Minnesota was for an adopted black youth.

Just out of curiosity, is his attitude talking about it "they meant well but they hosed up" or disdain for the whole thing?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Just caught up on this thread and god i wish i was in a relationship where someone got loving railed, as per.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bruceski posted:

Just out of curiosity, is his attitude talking about it "they meant well but they hosed up" or disdain for the whole thing?

I'm not sure if he even knows. He holds a lot of deep resentment that he doesn't acknowledge or deal with in any healthy way. What he knows is that his brother and sister called him racially charged names and his parents did nothing about it because they genuinely didn't get it. Maybe I'm turning a blind eye to racism within my extended in-laws, but I just don't think they understood that non-white children raised by white families are still non-white children, subject to social stigmas and micro-aggression that are so prevalent in America today.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Agrikk posted:

I'm not sure if he even knows. He holds a lot of deep resentment that he doesn't acknowledge or deal with in any healthy way. What he knows is that his brother and sister called him racially charged names and his parents did nothing about it because they genuinely didn't get it. Maybe I'm turning a blind eye to racism within my extended in-laws, but I just don't think they understood that non-white children raised by white families are still non-white children, subject to social stigmas and micro-aggression that are so prevalent in America today.

Given his age, he grew up during the "colorblind" time, when all the white folks thought that if we just pretended not to notice anything to do with race, things would be fine and all the problems would go away.

Turns out that this wasn't actually an effective method for dealing with any aspect of racism!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

Given his age, he grew up during the "colorblind" time, when all the white folks thought that if we just pretended not to notice anything to do with race, things would be fine and all the problems would go away.

Turns out that this wasn't actually an effective method for dealing with any aspect of racism!

"I've had enough of this nonsense, if racism was really so bad I, a middle class suburban white, would be able to see it for myself"

pause

"What do you mean you get treated differently? Every time we're out together in a group I see you get treated the same as me?"

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

pentyne posted:

"I've had enough of this nonsense, if racism was really so bad I, a middle class suburban white, would be able to see it for myself"

pause

"What do you mean you get treated differently? Every time we're out together in a group I see you get treated the same as me?"

My (17f) boyfriend (23M) had some opinions on white privilege/racism that I don't know how to deal with.

quote:

Off the bat our relationship is legal where we live, I turn 18 soon.

Anyways, I'm black and he's white. Tonight the topic of racism (specifically the states) came up and he said something along the lines of "I don't even see colour, this is all bullshit. why are people so hosed up? race, creed, and culture don't matter." Maybe I'm being sensitive but it sorta pissed me off.

I very calmly told him that he was able to say that bc he's in a place of privilege. His culture is the dominant one and his skin colour doesn't affect his safety when police/authority are present. Being able to say "race doesn't affect me" says it all (imo). He started going off bc he doesn't "like that I'm white. I hate that there's any privilege associated with my skin. I'm always the under dog and I hate being on top. all of this is so stupid we shouldn't even talk about it."

To me that comes off as ignorant. Ofc you don't like it, who would? I have privilege bc I'm lightskinned and as much as I hate that i still acknowledge it's existence and its effects on my life. I tried to explain that accepting one's privilege doesn't make them racist (it normally means the opposite) but I was met with more "I don't like that. stop talking about it."

He thinks that we don't need to talk about racism, privilege, cultural appropriation, etc.. bc that will make it go away. I strongly disagree and frankly I'm upset that he's ignoring it bc him having privilege makes him "less of an underdog".

I'm asking for any advice on handling sensitive issues like this in a biracial relationship. I have no idea how to proceed with this and I don't want to pretend like I'm not upset.

TL;DR bf has thinks talking about racism and privilege is unnecessary and gets angry when I remind him that he can't ignore these issues. How do I address this issue?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

My (17f) boyfriend (23M) had some opinions on white privilege/racism that I don't know how to deal with.

Run and run fast. Words I wish I knew when I was younger dating some truly moronic white men. They don’t ever learn, and it’s mostly a wasted effort to try, poor girl.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My girlfriend wants me to have a threesome with her and another guy. I'm straight and not comfortable with that. She has been withholding sex ever since.

quote:

I've never posted anything on reddit before but I have seen people saying that posting on mobile makes the format weird so I'm sorry if this post is difficult to read. This might be kinda long.

My girlfriend (23) who I'll call J and I (23, M) have been together for just over a year. Overall the relationship has been great- J and I have a lot in common and get along great. J is bisexual and more open in the bedroom than I am but overall we've done a good job communicating and finding things to do that we both enjoy.

We've been quarantining together since covid hit at her apartment and after a while we both decided that our sex life has become a little stale and we should look for some new things to try. J told me that she's had this fantasy of watching me get dominated by another guy. I told her that while I'm happy she feels comfortable to tell me stuff like that, that I'm straight so I'm not letting another guy gently caress me lol. She dropped it and I suggested a different fantasy of mine that we could try which she also seemed interested in. Cool, problem solved and no more stale sex life.

A few weeks later, I came home from work to find J with another guy around our age who I didn't recognize. J then tells me that the guy is there for the threesome she told me about. Dude what. We already agreed that wasn't happening cause I'm not into guys. I awkwardly kicked the poor guy out and sat J down and told her that I am not comfortable doing anything with another guy. She believes that everyone is a little bit bi and that I should just try it before I rule it out. Again, not comfortable with that. J thinks that because we tried my fantasy (the one I suggested a few weeks back) now I have to try her's. She doesn't seem to understand sex isn't a this for that situation and that I'm just not attracted to guys and am uncomfortable being dominated. It's a matter of consent not me being selfish.

For the past couple weeks she's been withholding sex from me until we try out her fantasy and has recently started giving me the silent treatment. She's never acted like this before and I don't know what to do. I really like her but this is feeling more and more than a deal breaker. I'm planning on talking with her tonight and if she doesn't drop it, finding a friend to stay with. Should I consider breaking up with her if she doesn't stop? I don't feel comfortable sharing my sex life with my friends/family so I'm hoping to get some advice and perspective from you guys. Thanks.

TL;DR: my girlfriend has a fantasy of watching me get dominated by another guy. I'm straight and not comfortable with being dominated. She is now withholding sex and giving me the silent treatment for refusing since we tried out my fantasy but not her's. I don't know what to do.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

teen witch posted:

Run and run fast. Words I wish I knew when I was younger dating some truly moronic white men. They don’t ever learn, and it’s mostly a wasted effort to try, poor girl.

She should buy him this book and see how he reacts (spoilers he'll obviously throw a pissbaby tantrum and use her age against her in the argument)

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

[CA] Our community pool has a lock/chain around it with a “COVID-19” sign. I am going to cut it with bolt cutters today. Legality of this please.

quote:

I rent a small house in a gated neighborhood. There is a community pool in the neighborhood. The pool has a lock/chain on it with a sign that says the pool is closed due to Covid-19. This sign has been up for two weeks and no one has been able to swim. We live in Los Angeles county where the law has now changed: Pools ARE allowed to open, as long as it’s a multi residence neighborhood (it is), or apart of an HOA (it is). The pool was legally allowed to open two weeks ago.....but it’s still closed. As temperatures soar past 100F today, I’ve had enough. I am going to cut the chain off so my family can swim. HOA hasn’t returned any of my calls or emails. I don’t want to get into legal trouble, but truth is, I would have never rented this house had I know that the pool would be closed for summer. Is it illegal for me to cut the chain myself?

Edit- Thank you all for the advice. I am absolutely going to be doing this. My city is on fire with riots and looting, the police are too busy right now to come deal with us. I doubt they have the time to come and deal with a family going swimming in a community pool (in a community that we literally live in). I don’t care about the legal repercussions. Or the health repercussions. I’m willing to take the roll of the dice. It’s loving hot today. Thank you everyone! -Susie

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

[CA] Our community pool has a lock/chain around it with a “COVID-19” sign. I am going to cut it with bolt cutters today. Legality of this please.

Core Karen energy detected

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

This entire thing feels like a setup for a smash cut to all of them floating face down in the water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Barudak posted:

This entire thing feels like a setup for a smash cut to all of them floating face down in the water

If that pool has been locked up for weeks I can't imagine they've been keeping up with the ph balance.