Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What name/movie? I’m sure I’m gonna be annoyed with myself when it turns out to be something incredibly obvious.

1970's Love Story and the name Jennifer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My (27F) boyfriend (27M) thinks we shouldn’t have kids because I think our kids should all have middle names.

quote:

TL;DR: Is the title

This is so stupid. My boyfriend and I were talking about future baby names and he said he doesn’t want to give all our kids middle names. I think that’s weird and it’ll make our kids feel unfairly singled out to be the only American kid without a middle name. He thinks it won’t be a big deal since he doesn’t use his middle name and I need to trust him on this. I think it’s too strange, but it’s now his hill to die on.

We had a fight over it and are now spending some time apart. Am I wrong to be so weirded out? He would think it’s dumb for me to even be on Reddit talking about this. I kinda think the same, but I don’t know what to do.

Now, he thinks we shouldn’t have kids because I can’t trust his judgment on this. This feels so dumb.

E:

quote:

We’re Christians and he thinks that means I need to let him take the lead, but I think he needs to consider my input. He does, but he’s being oddly insistent on this one. I don’t understand it.
:whitewater:

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 28, 2020

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

quote:

This feels so dumb.

that's because it is

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Middle names are where you can have fun with your kids why would you not want that?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

teen witch posted:

AITA for screaming at my husband it fu&% off

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

well why not posted:

im reminded of the reddit post where the guy rattled off like thirty things his wife thought was gross (less than 2 showers per day, eating anything that wasn't super fresh) but would make out with him after he ate her rear end.

well that's only fair

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

everyone knows if you eat well your poo poo is like medicine

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

hawowanlawow posted:

everyone knows if you eat well your poo poo is like medicine

I remember a story of a guy asking if it's rude to do scatplay in a hotel bed with his wife, leaving it for the staff to clean. When people pointed out it's a health hazard to the employees there and to at least do it in the bathtub and clean it up he lost his mind saying that because he and his wife eat healthy their poo poo cannot be a biohazard you idiots, you utter morons

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Barudak posted:

1970's Love Story and the name Jennifer

Dang I had :10bux: on Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and Jessica

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cliff posted:

Dang I had :10bux: on Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and Jessica

that's fuckin fighting words

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's definitely Bella and twilight

I'm kinda surprised I don't see more Hermiones

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jessica was already the most popular name for girls 8 years in a row by the time who frames roger rabbit came out.

hawowanlawow posted:

it's definitely Bella and twilight

I'm kinda surprised I don't see more Hermiones

The most popular name for girls right now is Emma, so uh, you do

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

wow owned

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In general in the US women's most popular names are chockful of "name of woman character or actress in popular mass media property".

Mens names are weirder but a fun trend is how Shaquille/Shaq is now a self sustaining name so go Shaquille O'Neal for literally making a name

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jessica is obviously because of Dune

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Jessica is obviously because of Dune

nah that's the explosion of Shai-Huluds running around in daycares

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Stilgar Jones

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tell me of the waters of your daycare, Usul

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The Arya one made me laugh bc why not just spell it Aria?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Barudak posted:

My mum legit thought she was being original by naming me this, after lord Nelson’s mistress. Good one, mum.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

PetraCore posted:

The Arya one made me laugh bc why not just spell it Aria?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Shockingly Lakynn prolly the best option there tbh

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Maylee is my favorite Smash game.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I'd argue Maylee is best cause when the kid realizes their name is kinda dumb they can go "Just call me May".

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mormons.txt

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Yeah. Also Maylee is a combination of two "normal" names, so while it's a strange combo, especially since I assume it's meant to be pronounced like Bailey with an M as opposed to May-Lee, it's less jarring than the others.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

She chose the one that I cannot figure out how to pronounce.

Which syllable do you emphasize!?

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Kenshin posted:

I always thought it would be Lake-In

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kenshin posted:

It's Lake In

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

names like that are easy because you just say it in the whitest possible way and that's automatically correct.

Mistayke posted:

I always thought it would be Lake-In

yep. make sure it comes out your nose

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I call dibs on Samartee

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Kenshin posted:

Pretty sure it's LAY-kin, emphasis on the first syllable. That's not any of the "natural" ways to read that, but contextually it's almost certainly the intent.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

LadyPictureShow posted:

My (27F) boyfriend (27M) thinks we shouldn’t have kids because I think our kids should all have middle names.

Unless shes ready to stop have pretty much any agency whatsoever she needs to run from this guy.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july
My cousin just had a baby boy yesterday and named him "Laythan". Which is 100% made up. Gotta wonder where she heard that one, probably a highschool baseball scout roster by the sound of it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Professor Layton and Nathan Drake's unwanted lovechild

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
AITA for refusing to meet my grandchild? My wife is begging me to come with her.

quote:

I have a son I haven’t seen in six years and he is dead to me. If anyone asks if we have children I say we have one daughter and that’s it. He married a woman neither of us liked, made terrible financial decisions, and ended up having to move in with us. We let him live there for six months until my wife and DIL ended up in a screaming match over lipstick, and obviously it wasn’t really about the lipstick but I couldn’t take it anymore. I asked them to leave (not immediately but to make plans)

My son said that I couldn’t evict him legally and I reassured him that I didn’t mean that night, I just wanted him to figure it out. He said they were tenants because they had lived with us for over 30 days, now it is slightly my fault for not knowing the law, but in my opinion my son is the scum of the earth. We had to go through a long court process and it was months before we could get him out. Living in that house was hell. My wife screamed all the time and it was just unbearable. I told my son the day he left to never contact me again. I don’t care if he’s terminally ill and needs a kidney, I’m not his father.

Well everything has been great for six years but DIL had a baby and he called me wife crying about how much he misses us and that he wants us to meet his son. My wife agreed though when I asked her about it she admitted that she really doesn’t want to meet the baby she just felt guilty. She is now begging me to go with her, because she’s uncomfortable, but I never want to see either of them again and that baby is nothing to me.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

cumshitter posted:

AITA for refusing to meet my grandchild? My wife is begging me to come with her.

Woof, that's rough. Guy is NTA and it's on him to want or not want that relationship. Maybe he'll regret it on his deathbed but I don't blame him for that reaction.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Woof, that's rough. Guy is NTA and it's on him to want or not want that relationship. Maybe he'll regret it on his deathbed but I don't blame him for that reaction.

Uh the baby did nothing wrong saying “it means nothing to me” is psychopathic. Also seems like he is leaving a lot of details out of his fallout with his son. Either way- don’t put your poo poo on innocent children

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the baby doesn't want to see him, the baby is a baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

cumshitter posted:

Honestly, the son could be and probably is a legitimate piece of poo poo. OP claims their DIL wishes OP and wife would get cancer after they were kicked out. But i also get the feeling of "missing reasons" too, and judging by some OP's other comments, the apple didn't land far from the tree.

OP posted:

Well the screaming didn’t begin until they refused to leave and we had to take them to court. She would legitimately stand outside the door, until I took it off the wall, and scream that she wants them to die and she should have aborted him, but that was after they basically became squatters.