Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

kimbo305 posted:

Ah, but now YTA and are ruining National Running Day for the fastidious OP:
> So three days ago my ex ordered me a dinner as a birthday gift from Red Robin "RR" through UberEats "UE",

My eyes skipped right over that, I was too busy with this here can opener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Owlspiracy posted:

can we focus on the fact that the only restaurant she can apparently eat at due to allergies is red robin - that was by far the worst part of the story

I've heard that before from someone with the huge list of allergies that prevents them from eating out anywhere. Apparently out of all the chain restaurants Red Robin is the only one that has a certain burger that didn't trigger a reaction.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

generally i think ending a game of chess that quickly against a player way, way worse than you is bad form, however this guy totally deserved it

“it would be nice to teach a pretty girl about the art of chess,” and “she could learn a few things from him,”

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How does it even get that far? My spouse would have been feeding him chess pieces after the pretty girl comment.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Owlspiracy posted:

can we focus on the fact that the only restaurant she can apparently eat at due to allergies is red robin - that was by far the worst part of the story

quote:

I have allergies (including wheat) and autoimmune disorders which mean that I can't consume lactose, meat, onions, and many other fruits and vegetables. Parmesan cheese on garlic fries is ok only because parmesan has basically no lactose in it. I also need to follow an alkaline diet. Otherwise those foods will cause me severe inflammation and pain, among other issues. RR fries their french fries in its own oil so there isn't cross-contamination with wheat, they offer gluten-free (wheat-free) options and meat substitutes, and I can fully customize the items on my burger so it only has items I can eat (no onions or pickles, etc). There are very few restaurants that have these kinds of options for me.

I thought alkaline stuff, or at least alkaline water, was pure woo? It's just a scam to sell you a machine that zaps your water for $3-$5,000.

She's also pretty insufferable in the comments and has written many, many paragraphs in her responses. Her boyfriend also doesn't tip unless she pushes him to do it, which is always an argument. They sound like a fun time.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for not giving my pack of goldfish to the kid next to me on the airplane after his mom ate his pack?

quote:

I was on vacation for Memorial Day Weekend, on my flight back that’s when this happened. The flight attendant came around and gave everyone a drink and a bag of goldfish and a biscuit. I ate my biscuit however I wanted to keep my goldfish in case I got hungry later on in my trip (flight was short). The mom next to me then is like my son is hungry can he have your goldfish.

Now in normal circumstances I would gladly give my goldfish up, but a couple things. I saw her eat her sons pack and his. And second this lady was taking up a lot of my seat too (she honestly should have been required to buy two seats). She just was super entitled, like the way she asked me too was more of a demand than an ask.

So when she asked I was like sorry, I am saving these for later. She then gets loud to where other people can hear us, and is like my child is hungry and you aren’t sharing the food you don’t even want to eat. I then pointed out mam, you ate your son’s goldfish. Do you even want these for your son or are you going to eat these too?

She gets angrier says some more stuff, I put on my AirPods Pro with noise cancellation and continue on. The flight attendant comes and tells her she can purchase a snack for her son.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
oooh la di da airpods

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
My FIL's response to the 215 dead children found at the residential school was "The school was open for almost 100 years, thats only 2 kids a year that's not that bad."

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

cumshitter posted:

I thought alkaline stuff, or at least alkaline water, was pure woo? It's just a scam to sell you a machine that zaps your water for $3-$5,000.

it is, same as the "natural" water fad or whatever

also "fries its fries in its own oil"

???

fries... don't have their own inherent oil? :thunk:

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Chocobo posted:

My FIL's response to the 215 dead children found at the residential school was "The school was open for almost 100 years, thats only 2 kids a year that's not that bad."

Your FIL is a horrid ghoul of a person.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Johnny Truant posted:

???

I think they mean separate, fries only oil but what are these places frying with gluten in it?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Johnny Truant posted:

???

Pretty sure she means they fry their fries in separate oil from anything else they fry

E:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think they mean separate, fries only oil but what are these places frying with gluten in it?

Anything breaded, like chicken wings

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

:doh: yeah okay that makes sense

a million places offer customization though, so that entire explanation is so bizarre.

although i did recently learn that parmesan and some other cheeses(cheddar i think?) have little lactose, which kinda blew my mind cause i was just always cheese=lactose in my mind

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Johnny Truant posted:

???

If you fry things with breading in the same fryer as fries, the oil can get contaminated with gluten and make coeliac people sick. She means they have a seperate fryer for potato fries.

E: hella beaten on this

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Chocobo posted:

Imagine losing a 100 kids in a fire in a school's first year, and someone says, "well now we have to rebuild and stay open for at least 50 years. Otherwise, our kids per year ratio will be worse than those other guys."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

kimbo305 posted:

ESH if she truly didn't broach her fee / rate up front.

She should have given an estimate up-front, sure, but I don't think that makes her 'lovely', especially as this is her first time. He was perfectly free to say "didn't agree to this, don't want to pay for it" and go back to his crappy old website. It's not like she was holding anything hostage.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Chocobo posted:

By residential school standards that's practically Deerfield.

I doubt that was the meaning though.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Hughlander posted:

AITA for laughing after my brother lost a game of chess.

Oh no you beat a MAN you should have been gentle on him! His poor bruised ego!

you'd think of all gamers a chess player would know their rating

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tarkus posted:

When I was in grade 9 I was into playing chess. I thought I was an ok player. One day I was at the downtown library and lots of hobos would spend their time playing checkers and chess. They saw me watching and asked if I wanted to play. Me being cocky thought that scraggly hobos couldn't be very good so I played one of them. That dude kicked my rear end over and over again in an barrage of embarrassingly short games. Never forgot that lol

yeah when i went to college i would walk by the park where the bums would sit all day playing chess and i considered playing but i was like "man, all these dudes do is play chess and watch each other play chess... they're probably really good" so i never took the time

on the other hand, one afternoon i was sitting in a bar and some guy comes up to me with a pocket chess set and asks if i play. he says loser buys a drink so i'm like sure, fine. i figure the dude is pretty good since he goes around challenging strangers in bars to chess but i beat him pretty quickly. it could have been some kind of icebreaker to just strike up conversations at the bar but he got pretty salty about it and walked out. like my dude, you came and tapped on my shoulder lol

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My eyes skipped right over that, I was too busy with this here can opener.

Jesus, get a ROOM.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hughlander posted:

AITA for not giving my pack of goldfish to the kid next to me on the airplane after his mom ate his pack?

lol owned

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for not watching anime?

quote:

My one friend finds something he likes and makes it his entire personality and all he ever wants to talk about. When he got into anime, I would watch a select few, but am not into the fighting ones he watches. I admit I have a pretty basic taste and watch basic TV shows, which he will NOT watch no matter how good I say it is, which doesn't bother me because he's the one missing out. He would get so mad that I wouldn't watch animes and just KEEP asking me and loudly make references to the shows as if I got them. Eventually, he made a new friend that likes anime just as much as him. After the first day they hung out, he came back to out apartment and said he was his new best friend instead of me. I literally had to stop talking to my other best friend because he would get so mad every time we hung out. All he ever wears now are anime t shirts and all he'll talk about is anime nonstop, even when I introduce new people that clearly don't want to watch anime. We have a mutual friend and he has given into watching some of the shows. Now, the three of them constantly go out and never invite me and base everything they do (say it with me) around anime. They go to eat and base their entire meal around anime characters (either color pallets or what they think they would eat). I'm at the end of my line here and am admittedly bothered that we wouldn't really ever do things based around my interests and now we can't just hang out without anime coming up. AITA for not wanting to participate?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Piell posted:

quote:

They go to eat and base their entire meal around anime characters (either color pallets or what they think they would eat).

Nothing would ever be worth spending 5 minutes around people like this.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
just watch anime geez

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Piell posted:

I wonder if they run with their hands dragging behind them like naruto and make hand signs. Also I imagine them sitting down to a meal and saying Itadakimaaaaaaaasooooooooo! at the top of their lungs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
waving my chopsticks vaguely in a circle while sucking an entire bowl of noodles into my mouth

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Piell posted:

Sounds like they're doing him a favour and he's free to go make friends that aren't absolutely embarrassing to be around.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Years ago I got repeatedly trounced by a family friend's 10 year old grandson at chess. At least I was never under the impression that I was anything more than a beginner and I had been warned he was quite good.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
this kills the witch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP5lz2CYNR4

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

quote:

This was the commercial for 2009. Sakura-con 2013 is March 29-31, 2013.

2009 commercial courtesy of Vic Mignogna! Enjoy! Sakura-Con 2009 April 10-12 at the Washington State Convention and Trade Center https://www.sakuracon.org

Bwahahahaha!

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Piell posted:

RUN.

Unless it's Sailor Moon, in which case I'm sorry we don't hang out as much anymore

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

She should have given an estimate up-front, sure, but I don't think that makes her 'lovely', especially as this is her first time. He was perfectly free to say "didn't agree to this, don't want to pay for it" and go back to his crappy old website. It's not like she was holding anything hostage.

It's not a strong AH rating on her end; I'm more saying she is partly at fault for how the situation unfolded.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cumshitter posted:

She's also pretty insufferable in the comments and has written many, many paragraphs in her responses. Her boyfriend also doesn't tip unless she pushes him to do it, which is always an argument. They sound like a fun time.

Wait the ALKALINE DIET? That's straight up Dr Sebi bullshit!

Yeah, look that up. By all means. There's a F Plus on him. He thinks pigs are weird animal hybrids that are made of worms and that rice isn't real. He also doesn't know what is or isn't a starch and what is or isn't an acidic food.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

i don't care if i'm 15 pages late, that had to be posted and frankly i'm disappointed i wasn't beaten to the punch

I find no fault with you, and in fact praise your actions...

sullat posted:

Oates stood up and said, "I am going outside, I may be some time." He struggled with the tent flaps in the cold, and then slipped off into the ice field. A few moments passed. Scott turned to Wilson and said, "finally some time alone" as he unbuttoned his parka.
Unlike this, which is cursed.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

oh jay posted:

Bwahahahaha!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tarkus posted:

When I was in grade 9 I was into playing chess. I thought I was an ok player. One day I was at the downtown library and lots of hobos would spend their time playing checkers and chess. They saw me watching and asked if I wanted to play. Me being cocky thought that scraggly hobos couldn't be very good so I played one of them. That dude kicked my rear end over and over again in an barrage of embarrassingly short games. Never forgot that lol

the whiskery hobo at the chess board is the chess equivalent of the serenely wizened old man in the martial arts flick, smh

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

cumshitter posted:

Some brands of bottled water, such as fiji are more alkaline than other more acidic brands than dasani. If one prefers the taste of more alkaline water, by all means, buy it, but it will not grant you any additional health benefits or special powers. It is in fact woo to enrich Alex Jones and his peers. OP is dumb. Anyone who talks about "inflammation" regarding food is also either peddling and/or buying woo.

sebmojo posted:

the whiskery hobo at the chess board is the chess equivalent of the serenely wizened old man in the martial arts flick, smh
A movie about a non-homeless kid being mentored in chess by a homeless person who lives in central park and uses those concrete chess boards seems like it would be the plot to several 90s live action disney channel original films, doesn't it?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

This is interesting. As an L2 speaker of English, the final four are pretty much synonyms in my ears. I would also say that 'abhorrence' is maybe mixed with fear, whereas 'loathing' is 100% disgust. But maybe I'm misunderstanding things through my L2 lens.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Invisible Clergy posted:

A movie about a non-homeless kid being mentored in chess by a homeless person who lives in central park and uses those concrete chess boards seems like it would be the plot to several 90s live action disney channel original films, doesn't it?

see: searching for bobby fisher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

This is interesting. As an L2 speaker of English, the final four are pretty much synonyms in my ears. I would also say that 'abhorrence' is maybe mixed with fear, whereas 'loathing' is 100% disgust. But maybe I'm misunderstanding things through my L2 lens.

As a native speaker, "abhorrence" and "loathing" are the same, and revulsion is far stronger than either. Like, there's "I hate X" vs. "X snaps me back 20 feet and I start to vomit."

Words, man. Somebody out there uses "revulsion" to describe the grocery store being out of their brand of toothpaste.