Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Deformed Church posted:

Well that's a hell of a buried lede. A friend died or suffered life changing injuries in the crash too, but it wasn't him so he should just get over it. What the fuuuuuuck is this woman. How did she get this far without :murder:

An ex-friend of mine asked an ex-girlfriend of mine if “it was about time she should be getting over it”. The “it” in question was a car accident where my girlfriend was the only survivor of her four-strong ‘friends forever’ group, that had occurred less than two months prior. Some people are just hosed up when it comes to even the barest levels of compassion.

Edit: oh yeah I broke up with her because she was always moping around, I did try pointing out that she wasn’t the one who died so she’s got nothing to be sad about but she said that made it worse. AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Phew, I’m glad that’s cleared up.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

PostNouveau posted:

I'd be swatting the phone out of his hand within a week about thirty seconds of this behavior starting.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Motherfucker posted:

To be fair you both sound like insufferable shitheads with internet poisoning. Maybe do a trade where he stops blowing the pastry cart if you stop using the internet for a year so you can get your loving vocabulary back in order.

I think you've misinterpreted this, or I have. I read it that she was kind of making the point you are - he is morbidly obese but found it offensive to have it pointed out in those terms, even if he doesn't deny it, and said she could have called him [that bullshit] instead. It sounds like the fault is with the big lad, and I reckon your diagnosis of Internet poisoning is spot on. OP only has a mild dose, causing her to post this in the first place.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Algol Star posted:

Isn't that just how you eat noodles?

If you slurp em fast you never get sauce down your front. Indonesian wife teaches one weird trick shirt manufacturers don’t want you to know!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

pentyne posted:

I'm sure there was at least one r/ post about a will being involved with who gets the recipe.

Wasn't it sourdough? I'm sure there was one about a sourdough starter that had been in the family for years, and the poster was deathly afraid her sister-in-law would kill it or something.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Does anyone have the link to the guy who was incensed that his partner cooked & froze his beans, much diminishing the flavour? My wife has never seen it and is therefore not enjoying all my bean-based humour as much as she might.

(really thinkin about them beans)

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Immediately break up with him. Either he didn’t realise the importance, in which case he’s a prick, or he did but he didn’t care, in which case he’s a prick. Get out of there, don’t waste time worrying about which specific kind of thoughtless dickhead he is.

Edit: or he does realise and thinks this is commensurate with her infraction against him. Still a prick.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I sing so badly it made my daughter cry until she was old enough to put her fingers in her ears and now she does that instead. Doesn't stop me!

(give it fifteen years to see a post addressing this from her point of view, poor child)

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Mr. Lobe posted:

It must be a nightmare to travel to foreign countries with someone like that. Imagine having to go to McDonalds in Italy on vacation because your lame husband didn't want to try some of earth's best cuisine

I went on a 3-day stag do to Amsterdam. Didn’t know anyone except the groom. The people I was with repeatedly referred to any foreign food as “filth” and quickly found a sports bar that sold Carling and Fosters, had sky sports on the telly, and served a full English breakfast all day long. On the evening of the first day I went for an Indonesian meal (on my own) instead of McDonald’s, and then for a steak (on my own) the second night instead of a Burger King. On the morning of the third day I got a call from the groom asking if I could meet up with them because two of them had been arrested and the police “needed someone sober to talk to”. I went to the zoo instead, then caught a train to Brussels and flew home from there. I didn’t go to the wedding, but apparently all three of the main emergency services had to attend!

In summary anyone with a limited palette is a terrible, terrible person and my experience proves it.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

Wow, that's remarkably bad. Was even Dutch food too exotic for these clowns? Different perspective but I feel like most of the food/beer options in northwestern Europe are playing a lot of the same notes anyway.

We caught the plane from East Midlands airport at 7.10 and one of the party was already too drunk to be allowed boarding. When we landed and got the train into the city one of the guys had to be physically restrained from talking to a young woman eating a pepper like an apple. “I just want to loving ask her why!” he exclaimed, flexing his knuckles on which were tattooed the word “oval office”. They were really really not nice people, nor clever. The arrest was because they tried to fight their way out of paying in a sex club, but of course it’s all fully legal there so the bouncers just put them on their arses and called the police. I should ask Reddit AITA for completely severing ties with an acquaintance after discovering his friends were the absolute worst people on earth.

Thanks to the magic of google I can even find the sports bar. I’d forgotten it was basement level to minimise the chance of accidentally seeing something foreign.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.3751631,4.9000947,3a,75y,55.15h,78.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smXHdvMSry19TURsuRFJVJg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Sanford fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 23, 2020

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

The ballad of Carmela Vitale, inventor of the pizza saver.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Evil Willow posted:

ETA: Many have said to stop accepting gifts all together and we are. I’ve told my sister I won’t accept more gifts.

This is madness. Clearly an evil old moron, rinse them dry! Tell them you’ve had four more kids and need gifts for all of them!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

There’s something missing. You don’t get to the hair being so tangled it all has to be cut to shoulder length just from tying it to a bed. And even if it was, you’d cut through the knot? My source is that I have an older sister, have received several punishments over the years for tying her hair to things. Someone with actual long hair chime in.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I like how they really are mirror images of each other and the rear end in a top hat is exactly the same in both.

How do you get to them being as bad as each other? One woman seems to provide money, toys and clothing to the other, who neither works nor pays any of her own costs and does nothing but moan about how she deserves more while trying to drag a wider and wider family circle into it. She sounds awful while the other one just comes across as legitimately pissed off.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yes, the single-mother is the rear end in a top hat in both. That's what I was saying.

Aah gotcha. I went back and read the whole thing again looking for what I’d missed! Yeah you’re right, she’s obviously completely deluded - the story from both sides paints her as a terrible piece of poo poo but she seems to be pointing at it and going “See! You see what I’m saying!” as if it vindicates her in some way.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

AITA for calling my sister-in-law a big old greedy twat in front of her kids and parents?

Story was boring but I love that title.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I posted this yesterday because the title made me laugh

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/i2w92f/aita_for_calling_my_sisterinlaw_a_big_old_greedy/

Reading through the comments now it seems a sad case of some unpleasant relatives and a man pathologically unable to accept that it’s not his fault. The absolute gem though, the thing that makes the whole thread worth reading, is that his brother-in-law tried to precipitate conflict by parking his cars in an unusual configuration in the hope that someone would ask why (they didn’t). If that doesn’t tell you you’re not dealing with a rational actor I don’t know what would.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Cloacamazing! posted:

The urinal etiquette of leaving one space open between bathroom goers? Because I somehow doubt that's unique to Europe.

Haha what, I am pretty sure he means the etiquette of the urinal being one big trough and if it’s crowded you just kind of shove your way in and go “utch up a bit mate”.

We have been in this house (bought) for nine years and two rental properties for the four years before that. None of them had/have locks on the bathroom door.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

If any of you come to my barbecue you are not getting any chicken and I’m not giving you any ointment for your burned hands until you say please. Nicely. Like you mean it.

well why not posted:

did we do this yet?

Wife came home drunk at 2am with carload of guys

That guy is getting hosed dragged for not letting his wife get back into a carful of sketchy drunk people when she herself was apparently so drunk she could barely stand.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Piell posted:

AITA for supporting my female teammate?

If your only reason for doing something is “it’s traditional” you should just pack it the gently caress in by default.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

darkwasthenight posted:

Doing pointless stuff just cause a hundred generations of your ancestors did the same can be a good way to feel connected to your society and culture and isn't inherently bad if its just a silly ritual that isn't affecting anybody involved. Martial arts generally try to follow ritual for good reasons - to teach students patience, respect, empathy for your opponent and so on to make sure students know this isn't just about the quickest way to kick someone in the ear with their own leg.

That said, this particular ritual is an example of something that negatively affects a person so if she chooses not to take part then it shouldn't be made into an issue. We can always make new traditions after all and today is as good a time to start as any. Her teammates are good teammates backing her up.

You posted lots of really good reasons that go far beyond "it's traditional" though. I agree with you completely.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

A man shoved me, hard, for parking in a disabled space while I was lifting my 94 year old grandmother into her wheelchair. Thankfully she was only 6 stone by that time so I stumbled but didn’t fall, and a security guy grabbed him. It’s years ago now and I still think of that man, and how I hope he lived miserably and died horribly.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

therobit posted:

:stonk:

I'd have hastened his demise holy poo poo.

The best bit was that grandma didn’t notice the altercation, just that I suddenly dumped her back in the car and hit my head on the doorframe. She spent the next week telling people how I almost dropped her by being careless!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

On the subject of languages, a quick sort by ‘new’ just before bed brought up this beauty.

AITA for not paying for my son to learn Urdu?

quote:

A year ago I told my son that if he completed an online language course I would pay for proper lessons so he could become a fluent speaker. Despite my protestations he chose Urdu, only because people he knows from school speak it. I tried to persuade him to learn a more useful language but he insisted and can now speak some Urdu at a basic level. Now a parent of someone he knows is offering to teach him properly in a more formal setting, but I don’t want to pay for him to learn Urdu when so many other languages will increase his opportunities far more. He said they are offering him a cheap rate to learn so I told him in that case it would be no bother to pay for it himself, and my offer still stands if he wants to learn a language that will be more useful to him in life. My wife thinks IATA for not honouring our deal and says if I wanted to make it conditional I should have said so up front. My brother and his wife agree that this would be a waste of money and he is just doing it because people he knows speak this language and it would be better if he learned something that will be more useful to him for his studies and future career. I realise I am maybe the arsehole for changing the rules after we made the agreement, but I’m just trying to avoid him wasting my money and more importantly, his time. To be clear I am not against him learning Urdu, its just not what I meant when we talked about him learning a second language and I think he should consider something else too.

Astonishing lengths he goes to in order to avoid referring to his son’s friends as friends - it’s all “people he knows” and “people he goes to school with”.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Visitors to my home sometimes take their shoes off without me asking and I get embarrassed about how dirty their socks are going to get.

AITA for not allowing my sister to bring her “service dog” to my wedding?

quote:

She was supposed to be a bridesmaid. She has a fake service dog. She says it’s for PTSD from our childhood. We had an extremely normal childhood and she has always been very attention seeking / problematic. She got the dog as a puppy and started calling it a service dog in training so her landlord would allow it. Now she has herself convinced that she actually needs this dog and that he is performing some kind of therapy for her. Problem is the dog is not a trained service dog. It barks, it will rub up against you and get slobber/hair on you and scratch up your legs if it’s excited.
I’m getting married in 6 months. We were discussing wedding stuff, pictures, etc when she informed me that she would be bringing her dog and putting him in a doggy tuxedo so he fit in.
I told her absolutely not. She went off on me and said that I was the cause of her childhood trauma (???) and that she needs her dog with her. She won’t be coming unless the dog can come too. I told her she was being ridiculous, that the dog isn’t even trained and there is nothing medically wrong with her. We had an exceptionally normal childhood with great parents. We never financially struggled or anything like that and were never abused.
She is now refusing to come to the wedding and trying to get family members to take her side. She is saying I am discriminating against her disability (ptsd / anxiety from a super normal childhood?).
I think the whole service dog thing is her way of feeling special, standing out and getting attention from others. She LOVES the attention the dog brings and it’s super obvious. The dog has its own Instagram ffs. I’m also worried that she will use the dog to steal the attention on my wedding day. She has done this at family birthday parties with the dog and other events. She literally NEEDS people to pay attention to her and her dog.
AITA because I don’t want my sisters fake service dog on the alter with the bridal party for my wedding day ?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Here’s the opposite of those “my boyfriend only eats nuggets and fries” stories:

WIBTA if I took action over the way my brother and his wife feed my nephew?

quote:

My (22f) nephew Jack is 15 months old. My brother and his wife are both 25. We are in a COVID “bubble” with them and my parents so we’ve seen more of them recently. I am concerned over my nephew’s diet, my boyfriend agrees there is an issue but says it’s none of our business - he agrees with me asking Reddit! I have always had slight concerns about Jack (my SIL chose not to breastfeed him for example) but recently I think they may actually harm Jack with the way they feed him. Some examples from recent weeks:

We arrived one day as they were finishing lunch - a yellow vegetable stew my SIL had made. Jack had eaten hardly any of his food and my brother said “not hungry buddy?” and took the dish away. He didn’t offer him anything different or dessert or anything. After a couple of hours Jack started saying he was hungry and my brother fetched *the same dish* from the fridge, warmed it up and made Jack eat it.

We offered to babysit so they could walk to the lake with their dog one evening. I asked about warm milk for Jack at bedtime, and my brother said just give him water - if he wants milk he’ll ask! He’s not even a year and a half old! I made him milk anyway and he drank it straight away so I guess he did want it.

My SIL made a curry that I could tell just from the smell was incredibly spicy. They fed some to Jack! He straight away started saying “Hot! Hot daddy hot!” and my brother just gave him this white sauce to put it on it! I couldn’t believe it.

I went shopping for them at one point (we have been doing shared trips to reduce the number of times anyone has to go out) and noticed they didn’t order *any* baby food. I checked the cupboards and there is *one* microwave ravioli thing for toddlers in the cupboard. It says on it “specially formulated for under 2s” so they clearly need this kind of food until they are older?

My final example and the worst in my opinion, this is what started the whole conversation about this. Lockdown rules are relaxed in our area so we all went out to eat - six adults and Jack. The waiter offered my SIL a kids menu and she said no, just bring a small empty plate please. Then they gave Jack shrimp, steak, fries and vegetables from their own plates. After a few minutes Jack started to choke, really choke. I was panicking but my brother just casually laid down his fork, tipped Jack upside down and whacked him on the back. My SIL didn’t even get up from her chair! Then my brother put Jack down and said “you need to chew better buddy, that’s what those new chompers are for!” Everyone laughed and he went straight back to eating the meal that *almost just killed him*. I felt like I was losing my mind and we left not long afterwards.

That was just this past weekend and my BF and I have been kind-of arguing about it since. So Reddit, what do you think? I know I would be the rear end in a top hat for messing in my brother’s business but I would never forgive myself if something happened to Jack.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Tristesse posted:

So here's when I learned that teachers can be lovely. My first grade teacher became very angry with me because I could read already. "You were SUPPOSED to learn to read in the FIRST GRADE" she'd remind me literally any time I picked up a book and read to myself. She was so mad about this that she lied to the admins and said I couldn't learn to read and so I was in remedial reading classes until the third grade when my teacher noticed the disconnect. I'll never forget the sick smile on her face every time I had to leave the class alone (no one else in my class was in remedial reading, it was for disabled kids or ESL kids) and go to the special kids room. The other kids all assumed I was special so I was a total pariah real early. She also tried to have me repeat the first grade because "I refused to learn to read."

When I was three I was very ill and spent three weeks convalescing in bed. My dad brought a huge stack of books home from the school where he was deputy head and over the period of three weeks, I learned to read. When I started school (literally the first day) the reception teacher, Miss Drew, refused to believe that I could read and called me a liar. Refused to let me grab a book and prove it. Later in the week when we visited the school library I said I had read lots of these books before (Ginn 360 Readers, for any ageing brits who might remember them) and she again said I was lying, as these books “are only for schools”. I told her I’d been poorly so my dad brought me lots of books from his school, and she said that was illegal and my dad was going to prison. I was four. I cried so hard a teacher in the next room heard, came to see what was going on, and eventually they had to call my mum. My parents say to this day (35 years later) that it was a total “WTF is wrong with you?” from everyone else involved. Miss Drew retired at Christmas of that year, and went to live in Africa where she caught malaria and died. Good.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 12, 2020

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Talking to my sister tonight, turns out she and a few friends have a game of sensationalising any kind of personal drama and posting it to /relationships or /AITA from a throwaway account to see how many comments they can get. Apparently it is very consistent, be it a post that gets a lot of attention or very little, that a user called Homo_Hot_Paladin will contact the (always female) OP calling them a oval office and saying they should kill themselves. Nice folk on that there Reddit.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

fins posted:

It's very 2020 for this sentence to be a happy ending. I hope it gets used more!

Your quote reminded me of a detail I missed. She retired at Christmas of that year after smacking the poo poo out of a kid. Imagine that happening now and the teacher being allowed to just retire. Poor Oliver. He was only sitting under a table.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 12, 2020

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Those pesky hormones!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA For telling my wife to "Do it herself" after she volunteered me to help my neighbors again?

Hahaha I resolved a similar situation as a young (fully employed) man by telling my mum she needed to stop volunteering my help to the neighbour, or I would tell her myself "Janet, I am not fixing your loving computer again". She spoke to Janet, and I did not fix Janet's computer.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Tarkus V2.0 posted:

I took it as though her and her sister had a common mother that was garbage (drug use?) but they were raised by their grandmother who has died.

She says the dead woman was her bio grandmother and her sisters bio great-grandmother. The 11 year old sister is the author’s bio daughter, right?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Can not understand why the parents don’t like the wife, she sounds like a charmer.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Haha you guys are gross seriously that’s where poo comes out.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Does it have a crutch phrase one of the prolific fakeposters uses in all their stuff or something?

I KNOW HOW IT SOUNDS BUT HEAR ME OUT

Are there others that come up again and again? This one normally proceeds a “I did something horrible to a woman, here is my justification” style story.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

teen witch posted:

YTA soul food is awesome

Tbh if you’d never heard of it and I said oh yeah it’s greens, liver and this thing we call fatback you would not be falling over yourself to try it.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

DreamingofRoses posted:

...recovering from an ED...

I only know ED to stand for one thing in a medical context and I am pretty drat sure that’s not what you’re talking about.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

As someone who tried to help people whenever I can, and has been recently treated like a fool by some of those people, I would like to remind you that people in need are plentiful and cheap expensive. There’s always other people to help and you don’t have to put up with people treating you badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Aside from erectile dysfunction, which I assume you're thinking of, it is also used to mean "eating disorder" referring to anorexia/bulimia. In education and youth counseling, it is also used to refer to children who are "emotionally disturbed."

Didn’t notice you responded to me here, thank you. That is indeed what I was thinking of.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

"reasonable responses to strange behavior" lol that dude made it personal that she's scared of literally everyone, he's a big ol' baby and so are the rest of you

You are now totally making things up that weren’t in the post, to try and justify your weird reaction. When you come to my house you can pee in the yard. Leave the cash and groceries on the step.