Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA For throwing away date's gift?

:yikes:

Did someone just dodge getting drugged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Dazerbeams posted:

Yes, you’re the rear end in a top hat. I hate that I read this.

What?
That person is the opposite of the rear end in a top hat in that story.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Soysaucebeast posted:

It doesn't even say what the mom took out the loan for. I mean obviously it's lovely either way, but there's a gulf of difference between taking out the loan to buy a lambo vs taking out the loan to avoid losing her house.

There is not. Defrauding your adult children and actively attempting to ruin their lives is lovely no matter what you're spending the money on.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Soysaucebeast posted:

I literally said that in the post you quoted?

That's fair, and I apologize for my off the cuff comment, I was attacking a position you weren't holding and I should have read better.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Tetramin posted:

Why wouldn’t this dude just put some money into the moms commissary account so she can buy a prepaid card that’s slightly less expensive and doesn’t go onto the phone bill. Also, my buddy called me from jail collect once and it cost me like $24 for a 10 minute conversation, so I don’t understand these prices unless prison doesnt cost as much as jail.

He probably could, but he's paying rent, water, gas, electric, and whatever else and the girlfriend is basically freeloading on cable and phone time, and per the edit the extra cost is $20/mo? Seems justified.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
poo poo, I forget to close my garage from time to time now, and I'm almost 40.
I also have a pile of dogs who will let everyone on the block know if anyone they don't know so much as approaches the house, and I live in an area so safe that I could have a car like a Tesla sitting there with keys unguarded and feel pretty safe about it, though, so maybe our situations are really different.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
poo poo, when I was growing up I had an Uncle Pooge. He was my step father's uncle, I think. Or maybe step grandfather's cousin, who knows anymore.
Man's name was Leroy, he was a cantankerous old Missouri farmer, and everyone except his wife, including his brother, called him Uncle Pooge.
Massive Midwest families are wild.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Bruceski posted:

That's probably the only thing I ever flat-out fought my dad on. Near the end of high school he tried to explain to me that I was a lot smarter than most people I'd encounter and I pushed back hard because the way he was saying "smarter" sounded like "better". It was bizarre, didn't seem at all to mesh with how he usually was; in general he always made time for people, happy to lend a hand and seeing them as people even in incidental contact. We never talked about it afterward, I didn't realize it was something I wanted closure on until it was too late.

Good on you for figuring that out so young. My dad raised me on the idea that we were smarter than everyone else and I should be ready for pushback and feeling like I was above everyone else. It was absolutely like we were better than everyone else.
I didn't figure my poo poo out until I was like 30, and that unjustified feeling of superiority still creeps in sometimes.
I can't blame the man on it too much - he came up in a relatively poor rural community, worked as a meat cutter to put himself through law school, passed the bar on the first try, did so much cocaine and Canadian club that he went back to meat cutting, and he's dead now.
I just try to make sure I don't gently caress up my own son in the same way.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Speaking as the father of a toddler, it fuckin rules when my spouse is out of town and we just get solo bonding and hanging out time. That guy sucks.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Why should he? It's not hurting anyone.

Its all fun and games until someone gets an eye shot out.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Walh Hara posted:

Look, I don't have any children myself so I might be way of here, but is a 2 year really that likely to harm himself (not just hurting himself, but great bodily harm or death) when left alone for a few hours in a living room?

I mean, he should have waited until the cops arrived, but if I'm in the jury I wouldn't convict him.

I have a two and a half year old, and he absolutely will do something to hurt himself (or just fall and hurt himself) without direct supervision.
Kids that age have enough motor skills to be a danger, and zero idea that things can be dangerous, due to not having any lived experience yet.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

Is it ok for an abandoned two year old to not leave a tip? What if the two year old is trans?

What are their opinions on circumcision? That's the important question.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Wark posted:

My son is a 16 year old boy and I don't understand why he doesn't revel in me helicopter parenting him!!!

Who wants to bet that "they can't trust him" because of normal teenager behavior?

Note the author very carefully doesn't reveal where the money for the new phone and plan came from.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Cincinnati Chili
Required: car, money, internet connection
1. Go to google maps, search for skyline chili
2. Drive to location
3. Order 5 way
4. Pay
5. Take cheese from bags and dump in tray
6. Put lid on for 30 seconds so it melts
7. Crumble oyster crackers
8. Eat

I read this recipe to my partner, and they said it was reasonably accurate but something about Gold Star. Thoughts?

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It is always funny with cats and babies, I think while there's horror stories of dubious veracity, you're more likely to end up with the cat treating the baby as an oversized kitten.

When we had our son, we had one cat and one dog. The dog and the cat had come to a household understanding regarding space - they didn't mess with each other, and if one was on a couch/pet bed/spot of floor first, they had dibs, and wouldn't get hosed with. When we had the little man, they just treated him like another approximately pet sized animal. The cat might like to lay in the bouncer or whatever, but if the baby was there first, he went and found another spot. Worked out well.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

oh jay posted:

I guess it depends on the breakdown between "misc bills" vs "regular living expenses"

And I don't know about ice skating specifically, but 7 hours of lessons to 7 hours of practice seems ridiculous to me. I feel like a 5 to 10 is a better ratio for most disciplines. After clocking in so many hours, you should have learned how to learn on your own to a certain extent. I wonder if the coaches are teaching him wrong on purpose as a joke to pay off their mortgages.

It says he's doing comps as well, so this is probably a pro level coach and he's competing at least at a semi-pro level. Costumes, travel, and entry fees for those things aren't cheap, if it's at all similar to ballroom.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I mostly lurk this thread, but I'm here for pet derail.

Dexter is forlorn, having been denied (further) chicken.

An entire pack of assholes.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I had to have no kids at my first wedding. I had one cousin whose kids were absolute monsters, and her only method of discipline was full on screaming. We made the decision to have adults only and cited monetary concerns (paying per seat, small wedding). My friends, whose children I like, had met that cousin and her kids and were very understanding.
They also wanted to be able to party and drink til 4am, so it was a convenient excuse to leave the kids at home.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Barudak posted:

You like Rocky Horror Picture Show and spent college money on this tattoo, so wrong on all counts

People can like what they like and OP specifically didn't spend college money on it?
That's a pretty stupid caption to get for a person who is not a transvestite though.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Don't forget - we're old now.
Limited sample size, and anecdotes are not data, but all of the queer and trans people I know in my age range (late 30s-early 40s) are still totally down with Rocky Horror as it was a touch point of their young adulthood, and all the young people I know (friends kids) are mostly "the rocky what now?"
Re: transvestite, I believe it's still ok when people who like sometimes dressing in clothing that is typically identified differently than the gender they are use it to refer to themselves.
Transexual is basically out, though.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

kntfkr posted:

Everyone else's dad is dad. I don't want to be dad. It's generic. My 3 year old either calls me baba or my first name.

I dunno man, that "Daddy's home! Hi daddy! From my three year old brightens my coming home from work quite a bit.
Beats the poo poo out of being greeted by his two year old self saying "hi tinyman!" as that's what I would say to him in a greeting and his toddler brain just thought that's what I was called and mimicked it.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Miserable Maid posted:

I always feel like the odd one out, because I don't find dogcloak guy cool at all (except the actual dog part). Everything about him screams "loving prick", he just happens to do some cool stuff. I've known quite a few people like that, so maybe I'm just seeing that in him? Idk

I think people are blinded due to OP being such a big whiney stick in the mud, but she has a point among the banality.

Can you describe how the part about "bought the OP a new MacBook" screams "loving prick"?

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

therobit posted:

“Convinced herself of things that never happened” means either physical or sexual abuse, doesn’t it?

Could be that, could be just remembering especially egregious moments of emotional abuse. Like, mom had a campaign of criticizing food choices, and let the mask slip once saying "honey you can't wear that swim suit, you're too fat" and then tried to pretend like it never happened, because it makes the abuse too obvious.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

therobit posted:

AITA for not letting my ex husband have my deceased daughter's ashes?

Welp, that's the most depressing thing I'm likely to read this week.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Been said that it's not weird for kids to watch the same thing repeatedly. They're kids, it's all new to them and every watch is likely them spotting and figuring out new things they didn't get before. If that drives you crazy, give the kid some space to watch things on their own.

My son has seen a particular Raffi kids concert an uncountable number of times. He's nearly three. One day last week, I got up with him, took him to the living room, and started work. He got his plastic guitar out, brought his little chair over, and sung me the entire concert word for word while pretending to strum on his guitar while I worked and sometimes sang along with him.
Kids learn by repetition, and as you've said, everything is new and exciting and stuff they like they want to keep repeating. I think it's adorable and good, developmentally.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for being disappointed in my daughter?

r/relationships: my career was saving lives and actually making a difference

There's no way that's real, no one could possibly be that broken. Right?

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Piell posted:

Two religious ones, one of a shithead and one of a cool person

AITA For allowing the electric get shut off at my church?

AITA For signing off on a professional email with "As-Salaam-Alaikum"

Shortly after that email was sent out, my Christian coworker sent me a text to my personal phone that simply said "I hope you're happy, rear end in a top hat."

What a decidedly unchristian thing to say.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Pumping and bottle feeding (as well as supplementing with formula) ruled when my son was born. My spouse had some issues with latching, so breastfeeding was painful and frustrating, and having bottles ready and accepted meant that I could do the late night feedings (or any other time) without waking up/bothering them, leaving them free to rest or shower or take care of house stuff, as well as recover.
Husband in the story is absolutely trying to dodge responsibility, and that's not going to get any better as the kid ages.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Neito posted:

To quote every lovely chud I've ever talked to, a key that opens a thousand locks is a good key. A lock that's opened by a thousand keys is a lovely lock.

God, I feel dirty just typing that, even in sarcasm.

A pencil sharpener can take thousands of pencils and be just fine, but one pencil put into a thousand sharpeners becomes a useless nub. Rlly makes u think

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

sean10mm posted:

Wait, she assumed he was a ... used diaper fucker? Because he spilled the trash and had to pick some diapers up off the floor?

I don't know if that's too crazy to be true, or so stupid it's definitely real?

Sounds like PPD and some kind of break with reality.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Cowslips Warren posted:

The chicken thing is less about them being chickens and more how he doesn't give a gently caress about her.

I take care of most of the animals at my house, but if I'm running late from work or poo poo is insane, I can ask my mom to, you know, feed the loving animals and not have to worry about her saying "No, I worked all day and am too tired to scoop mouse food." And it goes the other way too: when we started fostering cats, I told her she'd be responsible for taking them to the clinic and any vet visits, but there have been times she had to work late, or was sick, or just wasn't up to going, so I did it. I've picked up medicine, I've dropped off cats at the vet, just as she's taken care of "my" chores. Because poo poo is about give and take, and not about "whatever is important to you means poo poo to me so I won't piss on a fire to put you out."

Yeah, the issue for me isn't the specifics of the chickens so much as "dude says he will do a thing in feeding them, doesn't do the thing and blows it off entirely when confronted" and "I don't find this thing you care about important, therefore it isn't important at all".
DTMFA.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Vim Fuego posted:

The dating scene. The scene is infested with mindless people of both gender who seem to serve no purpose other than to waste others time. Hookup culture developed by horny idiots has taken over the scene and it's now near impossible to find a person who's actually trying in some form. People have begun to treat dating as something casual or trivial when it really isn't.

Edit: For the folks saying dating can be casual, yes it absolutely can. But this comment is from the perspective of a serious, long-term dater.

Gotta source your quotes.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Note that the OP specified that her younger brother was the first one in the family to finish high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

trickybiscuits posted:

The grammar mistakes are easy to ignore but I just have no idea what is happening on a larger level here.

Seems like a person from Malaysia, probably in college, has an instructor who is German, and has a crush on them. They appear to be having a hard time finding a place for any of this in their cultural context.