Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA? My coworker booked a ~$7500 vacation and is probably going to lose the money because of me.

NTA for not willing to cover the person's shifts but I checked to make sure Canada's armed forces are the same way and the program he is looking into is for medical professionals already practicing who do a direct commission. I doubt that's the case for a 19 year old who slacked in highschool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

That's actually kind of a tough one to me if they end up needing to console her after previous beach outings.

I did roll my eyes at the OP trying to justify it by saying the only body everyone should be staring at in a bikini is the bride. Nothing odd at all about that.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Anybody who schedules a 1130-130 meeting should cater food for the meeting and in this case had a delivery order sent to your house.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

quote:

(eg. promising to go for steamboat or steakhouse together on the upcoming date) to create anticipation as well as distraction from all the talk on food.

Surely talking about taking her to a steakhouse will get the conversation off of food?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

There's nothing like a global problem to make people put aside their differences and come together to support each other.

Landlord Wants to Increase My Rent Because I Work from Home Now
I've not bothered copying the copy of OP's lease, I'm sure you can easily find it if you really must read it.

Looked it up because I was curious to see what number 43 said.

quote:

4. Tenant agrees to not conduct any form of business on premises (i.e. businesses which require physical customer interaction, repair, or mining of any cryptocurrency)

Uh yeah teleworking is not a form of operating a business out of your house. Laugh in your Landlord's face and tell them they'll be the first in line to the guillotine.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

I'm on the side of the dude being able to smoke on his balcony if he wants but I really don't see what the legality of pot matters at all in this story yet every response on reddit and most here focus on it.
If the OP called the cops because he was "smoking in public" sure but that didn't happen.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Swapping partners isn't an orgy and lol at asking multiple times to have sex with your friend and getting pissed off when you get what you wanted.

Also penis molds of the groom for a bachelorette party sounds hilarious even as a prank and anybody upset about it sounds boring.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

I remember a few times on Pawn Stars where the seller grossly underestimated the worth of their item and they told them but I don't know if that was for a legal reason or staged events to make the business look better on TV.

Not a full blown rear end in a top hat like most of the posts here but yes, I think it's morally questionable to buy something off somebody who you know is that far off on the true value of an item.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

monkeytennis posted:

Yes but this time it’s different!

It's different because he isn't married anymore.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The dude didn't even want his wife give the kids anything to eat when they are stuck out in the car because he refuses to let them in.

OP is a monster.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

What's the twist? I'm betting he's a racist.

His only reason given for not liking the father is

quote:

Re: her husband, part of it is personal issues between he and I going back to when we were in school, part of it is that I don’t like who or what he is and part of it is that he does bad things but ultimately I don’t think it would matter if the reason I hated him is because he’s left handed or something

He also says one of his issues with the kids is one looks just like the father (really? at 3 years old?) so yeah, I think you're right.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

I too remember the exact GPA of three people seven years ago, information that is normally private.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies or read any of the books, but it is so pervasive in pop culture that even I know being assigned to Slytherin is probably not a good thing, but lol at a bunch of adults getting upset about this.

I'm more bothered by having couples sitting at different tables if they felt like they belonged to different "houses." Not only is that super awkward at a wedding but you'd wind up putting some couples together and some apart, suggesting some are better fits with each other.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

NecroBob posted:

For what it's worth: the dude at my local social security office said that your birth certificate means gently caress all if you have a social security card. Whatever is on the SSA card is what your name is, as far as government functions are concerned.

I can corroborate this from local dealings. In Kentucky, at least. Who knows what the gently caress other states do.

Not in my experience either. My last name was changed when I was two years old and the DMV wouldn't recognize my new name, even though I had official court documents stating my name was legally changed and I had a social security card under the new name. They were willing to give me a drivers license with my birth name however, as long as I had some proof of residency under that name.

My father and I made a day trip out of visiting some relatives 500 miles away in a different state who had the same (new) last name and I got my drivers license there, even though I didn't live in that state anymore.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 15, 2020

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

It's truly not clear to me that "job back" is the previous job, having not been previously mention, and then it's implicitly where OP Is interviewing? I'm all for reading the posts, but this was not that clear.

The OP specifically says she was let go from her current business and got an interview. There's nothing unclear about it.

I mean I guess it's possible that the employee who she let go on the 89th came back and got a job with HR at the same company OP was working at without OP knowing, the OP got let go and the company immediately changed their name without the OP knowing and then the OP reapplied for the position they were just let go from...

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

causticBeet posted:

Big flip between my initial read from the title - this genuinely sounds like two friends joking about some annoying rear end snoring. His intent with the joke, and her reception of it, is totally not offensive and neither of them took it as such.

With that said, they’re all irredeemably weird because what sort of strange loving business trip involves 11 adults sharing a sleeping space like you’re in middle having a sleepover with your friends.

It says an outting with events like hiking so my impression the event isn't business related but rather friends/team building within the company.
Still completely abnormal but OPs joke sounds completely harmless.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Lmao at the "sexually liberated" person shaming a guy for liking being pegged.

The biggest rear end in a top hat by far is the new boyfriend for judging somebody for being pegged and for his gf being involved in group sex. OP gets partial rear end in a top hat points for specifying the country to target one person in particular. Liberated sucks over her comment.

Everyone sucks for "playing a game" that's all about throwing out some kinks to see who's down and getting upset over when they themselves are honest.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

I really thought Marital Status was one of the categories you couldn't discriminate on under the Fair Housing Act, but I was wrong.

I think the OP is from Australia so it may be different there.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Bonster posted:

So many responses in that thread saying "you're the rear end in a top hat, she set a firm boundary that you must respect without question, tell the hungry toddler no"

Because an adult throwing a tantrum is fine. She needs therapy yesterday.

I'm a little bothered by the OP's use of "principles". He's clearly downplaying that his wife has issues that needs to be addressed with a professional.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

I mean getting a good read on this requires you to actually be in the room. But tbh palling around with a babysitter 20 years your junior, drinking with her, taking her to Disneyland and poo poo... we'll it's not enough for to me to immediately call shenanigans, but I'm raising my eyebrow.

The factual, matter-of-record details presented don't constitute a fire, but there's a hell of a lot of smoke.

I think you completely missed the most important detail: the baby sitter lives there. If they went to Disneyland with the kids but not the live in sitter they would be the biggest assholes.
And it's okay to drink with people who are basically roommates.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

I found Google Fi to be way too expensive for me so I use Mint but yeah, I wouldn't want to be on her parent's plan either. Creates extra hassle if their relationship goes south and many of those plans give the account owner access to call and message time logs for all phones on the account.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The text of the post doesn't say how much OP was offering to pay her sister. Both OP and sister sound to me like they're highly unpleasant people, but I don't think it's really possible to accurately reconstruct the "job offer" from that post.

It doesn't, but I'm willing to guess a 22 year old who was working a sales clerk job isn't qualified enough to be a tutor for a child with development needs and she's totally right to decline the offer. Not that she needs a good reason to turn down a side gig.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

You should fuckin move out and stay away from your weirdo mom.

23 and have to ask Reddit if it's okay to move out of your mom's house. Want to know what STEM field the job is in.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Rudager posted:

The family definitely sounded like they pushed him away, but the no attempt at contact with them for 3 months after he died, and especially not even having a funeral (which I guess could've happened too and she just didn't say it) seems pretty out there from the wife too.

I partially agree but the brother went four years before casually mentioning that he had a child to his biological family so it sounds like the brother didn't want much to do with them either.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Piell posted:

AITA for blocking my mother for installing hidden cameras in my car "out of concern"?

I'm pretty interested in knowing what kind of setup they installed that allows her to remotely view a camera installed in a car at any time and also small enough to not be noticed.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

He spends all day with his son who lives with the wife and her parents and presumably one of them is home during the day since he leaves the baby for a few hours but only visits OP a couple of times a week at night if he feels like it. Yeah, I'm totally sure he's crazy in love with OP and it's her flirtatious personality that he is hesitant about.

The more I think about that post I can't help but think the guy has another girlfriend that isn't OP.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 29, 2020

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

DreamingofRoses posted:

He does clarify in the comments that when he and his wife talked he wanted her to pull the plug, and that she informed the siblings of this.

But seriously, guys, make a living will.

The worst part is since he did recover from the coma, the family gets to forever hold it over his wife that they made the right decision fighting her and I wouldn't be surprised if the thought is in the back of her mind all the time.
Story is more sad than anything.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

datajugend posted:

sleeping in a bed covered in dog or cat hair sucks, so yeah no pets in the bedroom.

Post and AV combo doesn't check out.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The_Franz posted:

Wanna lean towards fake, but "math is in our blood thus it's impossible for our son to have bad grades" is exactly the kind of dumb poo poo that broke-brained beep-boop STEMlords actually believe.

Sounds to me the guy comes from a culture where STEM is taken very seriously and a child not excelling at it is considered a family disgrace.
Dude is an rear end for sure but nothing about it screams fake to be.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

Why do my parents care what I spend my money on?

My main question: who's the singer?

Ignoring the obvious spoiled and needs to learn responsibility part, am I the only one bothered that the parents want their kid to contribute $800-$900 for a destination family vacation? Especially when they know the kid doesn't have a job and should be saving the money?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

If you filter that post through the lens of someone in denial about how much they do something it might make more sense, as written I can’t imagine anyone having an issue with her reading for an hour and a half a day when most of that is on the bus. At that point it’d just be a chapter or two before bed.

It could be like that hotdog sketch tho.

She's absolutely in denial. She thinks 1.5 hours a day is reasonable but she's already hitting that on the bus and the walk to class without even adding the cooking and bathroom parts or any time she's not trying to hide it. She could easily be reading while they "watch" TV, falling asleep on his shoulder doesn't mean anything and how often are they really going on dates.

If she wants to be a hermit then more power to her but she shouldn't be surprised when it damages her relationships (like she already acknowledged with not spending time with friends).

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

GORDON posted:

Yeah.... I noticed that too. Marines force-march 3 minute miles.

edit - CORRECTION. christ, what am i thinking. Marines force-march 3 miles per hour, which is about 17-minute miles, with the break.

That's not a very good comparison though.

You can look up race results online for just about any meet. A 9 minute walking pace in a 5k would put you in first place in a typical local race.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

Ah, the other type of failson. The ones who don't even take the silver platter they were born with and decide to try to strike out on their own, but have no concept of money and still maintain the lifestyle to which they were accustomed thanks to credit card debt. Son is the rear end in a top hat here, and if this were a post from his POV complaining about not getting daddy's money more people would probably recognize it.

The only two examples the OP can muster is home decor and sporting games, both of which can be super cheap. OP is in no obligation to give his son money but his reasoning makes him an rear end in a top hat.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Dynastocles posted:

I can't really fault the person for not knowing. The popular understanding of "Doctor" as a form of address is that it's reserved for medical doctors. You ask the average person and no one would think to address a doctor of philosophy or a doctor of sociology as "Doctor" because it would seem weird.

Anybody who has ever taken a semester of college courses should know that the person who taught them calculus or history class wasn't a MD. OP claims to be a physician, they know how it works

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Men should never put the seat down because it should never be up. Sit and take a break to pisspost on these forums.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

we did missionary and it’s now awkward

:confused:

Guessing there was kissing and maybe some things said that made it more "love making" instead of "loving". I can see it.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

ilmucche posted:

What cutthroat industry does this guy work in o_O

Not cutthroat enough to get fired for doing something that stupid, apparently. Bad on the son for being that way but getting his boss to do the firing instead isn't going to change anything.

I've been sitting on an official windows 10 trial version for years now since having a "please activate now" watermark was acceptable over paying $200 so thanks to this thread for suggesting SA Mart.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 12, 2020

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

When she says everybody in her family loves the girlfriend, I assume she means everybody but her mom, right?

I'm going to give the girlfriend a little leeway on the hypocrisy. When they started dating OP still lived at home with her parents and the GF didn't want to have to be sneaky about it all the time coming and going from OPs house whereas since they live together now there is a lot less effort being asked.

Shame on the GF for caring if a bunch of homophobics care about her though.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

The girlfriend is an abuser, and it is not ambiguous in any way. I think you should re-read the post and think about your position. The girlfriend’s behavior was a calculated plan to isolate the poster from her family so that she could be controlled. There is absolutely zero reason to give her any kind of leeway on her behavior.

OP says her family accepts and validates their relationship so I'm not fully convinced on a 21 year old being that manipulative during the second month of their relationship.

Maybe OP clarifies in a reply but I'm reading it as "hey we've been dating for 30-60 days but I don't want to continue dating somebody who still lives at home and their parents don't know" vs "tell your mom you're gay or I will".

Cyks fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 13, 2020

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of Reddit comments think he's likely closet gay, was using her as a beard, and snowballing lies when his family noticed her with other men.

This was the impression I got as well but she missed an opportunity to title her post "cheated on my ex of 4 months".

I agree completely with both of you about that conversation but ignored it as the responses to any differing opinion was too predicable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for dumping trash into water?

Person walking by wasn't wrong for calling out people dumping trash for a photo out of context, but a little bit of vanity doesn't dismiss the good deed done by the group. Especially if those photos encourage other students to do good things.