Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Calico Heart posted:

So guys, what are everyone’s top relationship posts of all time?

There was a series of posts that I haven't been able to find anywhere. I actually don't know if they were from r/r, another subreddit, or an advice column like Ask a Manager. If anyone could find them I'd love it!

It was something like this:

A woman asks for advice about her boss, who doesn't respect her religion or culture or something when it comes to food. I think there was something about ordering pizza for the team when the boss knew the OP couldn't eat it. The OP felt a little excluded.

Then one of the commenters remembered a similar post. It turned out the boss had written in complaining about an employee who annoyed the boss by refusing to "fit in"; the boss basically admitted that she was activately discriminating against the woman and was kind of gleeful about it.

Did I imagine this, or was it in one of the r/r threads here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

Here you go:

Tricked into eating something I don’t eat at work. Is this illegal/a toxic work environment?

Someone in the comments connected the dots to this post:

Threw an employee a baby shower now being threatened with “hostile work enviroment”. What do I do? (AL)

It might have gone past these two posts.

E:
Ceddit has all the goods on the manager's unhinged opinions

https://snew.notabug.io/r/legaladvice/comments/8825e8/threw_an_employee_a_baby_shower_now_being/

Thank you! I should've remembered it was in Alabama. I have family there and was thinking "yeah that's typical."

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

How do I (25F) ask my bf (35M) to try to make less noise when he eats without him getting so defensive about it?

quote:

He spends a significant part of the day snacking on all kinds of things, and chews with his mouth open, making additional throat, tongue and lips noises.

:murder:

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Skutter posted:

If he looks exactly like Kristofer Hivju or Johan Hess, he can get away with it. Otherwise just get some regular dang teeth installed.

I know Hivju, but who is Johan Hess? I looked up the name and just got a 16th-century German theologian. Who may have had a silver tooth but the aren't any images in his Wikipedia entry.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Skutter posted:

Johan Hess is what you get when you type too fast on your phone and don't proofread before you post, like an idiot. :doh: Johan Hegg is the lead singer of Amon Amarth and looks like an actual Viking.

Ahh, thanks! I thought it might be an autocorrect. I learned about a lot of guys named Johan Hess, though. :v:

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
^^^

JNMIL offered me 10k to leave her daughter

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910844&pagenumber=594&perpage=40#post505112658

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

tinytort posted:

I would kinda doubt that they're planning a wedding, too. (It's the running out giggling that does it for me.) I wouldn't be surprised if they were just immature assholes who decided to find a way to have a cake fight without having to source the cake or do cleanup.

That was my thought as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they were also recording it for some YouTuber thing.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

blight rhino posted:

Alright, Ive been reading the older posts / threads.

The amount of people that say "bare with me.." had me actually questioning myself. Why is that such a common mistake?!

Also "I started balling." What, you were so upset you began throwing balls? You thought you were a ball?

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
The ".5" is weird. Not 6, not 7 (which she apparently would have accepted), but 6.5. what sort of scale is he working from?

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Tarkus posted:

They are treating her like a farm animal. She is under no obligation to sign any kind of agreement especially since she's doing this for free.

I mean, she holds all the power here. They can't take the baby away, they can't harm her without harming the baby, and they're not paying her so they can't threaten her financially. I hope she just responds with "nope, not signing. Have a nice day!"

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

Did you grow up in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas?

My [26F] husband [29M] says the older kids aren't allowed to go to my sister’s without their younger sibling

Jesus wept. Surprised the dad didn't demand she take the 2 week old as well.

She should send him along to the sister as well, since he insists on "all of the children" going.

Sis probably wouldn't like it, though.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I let my students call me whatever they want, Professor / Professor Brush / Mr Brush / Professor Sage / Sage.

When talking to students I always refer to the other professors as Professor (or Dr.) Lastname.

When the kids aren't around, it's all first name basis except for one guy who insists on Dr. Lastname, or people significantly above my level who are Dean Lastname, Provost Lastname etc.

This is how academia is structured and nobody acts like it's a power trip or they're getting hard done by. Even Dr. Lastname just gets an occasional eyeroll rather than everyone getting heated that he's throwing his rank around or whatever. There are so many more important things to worry about

I also work in an academic library and have been trying to figure out a problem related to this for a while. All of us librarians are professors, but none of us require students to call us "Professor" or even "Mr" or "Ms" or whatever. We call our dean by his first name, and he had a PhD. This seems to be the typical behavior among my colleagues at other schools as well.

But we have a new librarian who has been here less than a year, and has been in the profession about 5 years. They insist on students calling them "Professor." They are the only one who does this. So we have a situation where, for example, student workers have been told it's improper to call librarians by their first name, when they've been working with me for years and calling me "Zoe," not "Professor Domingo." The result is that students don't feel comfortable talking to this librarian.

I hate this because it's so out of touch, but due to various circumstances I don't have the clout to say anything. But hey, now no one is at the library so there are no students to call us anything! Until next week when the place opens because money.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

The_Continental posted:

This all just boils down to "covid sucks deal with it everyone has had to adjust". Employers wanting to see that employees are actually engaged doesnt seem like a huge ask.

If, as the OP said, the employees' productivity is fine, then it just seems like the employer is trying to micromanage everyone. Treat your staff like adults and trust them to do their jobs. No one is fully engaged with work right now, and as long as they're getting the work done it shouldn't matter.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

bell jar posted:

NTA, you reacted in surprise/fear after she did something you specifically asked her not to

:69snypa:

What is it with these people who are so intent on doing the one thing they are asked not to do? This woman, the man who wants the basement kitchen house, the mom who keeps giving away her daughter's things... In every case:

OP: May I please have this one specific thing?
AH: *does complete opposite of thing*
OP: Why did you do the opposite of what I asked?!?
AH: Stop being selfish/ you're overreacting!

Evil Willow posted:

I'm(F, 23) 7 months pregnant, the father(M, 30) is financially supportive but seems barely interested in my pregnancy

My guess? He's married.

Edit: Beaten!

ZoeDomingo fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 30, 2020

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
And she thinks that his emotional response is more important. "I didn't make any excuses, and felt trauma of my own that reopened the wounds from the past, but recognized this moment was about him." Ugh. That poor woman.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

And when she hides treats for herself, he literally goes searching through her belongings for them. Dude is either a monster or in dire need of therapy.

She said he even bypasses food she bought for him to take food she bought for herself -- even if it's food he doesn't like. He doesn't like root beer, but chose to drink it instead of water, even when she asked him not to.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
Hahaha the locksmith story is extra funny to me, because yesterday I locked my keys in the trunk of my car, and submitted a request for roadside assistance on my insurance company app.

After about half an hour, when I had received no response, I called my insurance company. The request on the app (which was confirmed on the app) had never actually gone through. They submitted another request for me, sent me a confirmation text, and I waited another 45 minutes.

When I saw on the tracking app that the locksmith had never left the shop, I called him and he said that I wasn't even in his service area and he had told roadside assistance that they should send someone else. But no one else was dispatched.

I finally got ahold of a friend who has a copy of my house key and they brought my spare car key.

I did cancel the service on the text. But I'm waiting to see if anyone contacts me about the two nonexistent locksmiths they sent.

I do live in "terrible customer service land" (South Florida) so maybe I'm more sympathetic to OP than I would be otherwise.

Yeah yeah cool story sis.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
There's also this one from Ask a Manager:

My coworkers complained that the look of my breasts post-mastectomy is making them uncomfortable

quote:

I recently had a double mastectomy with reconstruction, but the reconstruction on one side failed. As a consequence, I am not exactly symmetrical at the moment and will stay this way until the reconstruction is attempted again (probably next summer).

I decided to not wear an external implant (it goes in the bra and once I’m dressed makes it look like both sides are identical) so even with clothes on it is quite obvious that I am missing a breast. I find the implant (I call it a boob-cushion) quite uncomfortable to wear.

I’ve recently started work again and a higher-up asked to speak to me. He explained that people had complained to him about the look of my breast and that it made them uncomfortable. He hinted quite strongly that i should wear the boob-cushion to not make colleagues uncomfortable. I know that a couple of colleagues had breast cancer in the past and thought it maybe reminds them and makes them uncomfortable … except it isn’t them who have complained. I even spoke to them and they were both really supportive of my choice. I wasn’t told who exactly complained, but apparently it’s a few guys who work in my area (not my own team). I’m a woman in my late twenties and most guys in the office are 40 or over.

My office has no dress code, and if it makes any difference, I don’t wear any cleavage, just jumpers and things like that.

I’m not too sure what to do and how to react. I really don’t like the boob-cushion and it’s really uncomfortable to wear all day, but at the same time if my higher-ups thinks it’s serious enough in an office with no dress code, then maybe I should just bite the bullet and wear it? All i said to my higher-up so far is that I would think about it, but I know he expects me to wear it when I come back after the Christmas break. What should I do?

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

teen witch posted:

AITA for taking the doors off the hinges after my husband refused to stop slamming them?

Genius. OP should've said, "Oh, I didn't realize I was taking all of the doors down," since "not realizing" one is doing something another person doesn't like is apparently a good enough reason to never be blamed for it or to try to change, according to the husband.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There was a genius solution in the comments. After everybody rings the glasses for the speech, the bride stands up, smiles, and says "I know my sister has something special planned, so take it away, sis!"

Either she goes through with whatever it is, and the bride looks like a champ, or she slinks away in disappointment.

Invisible Clergy posted:

That assumes whatever terror the sister has been planning for 3+ years will not take place until then. A risky move to say the least.

She should get in front of the whole thing. Start now and make a point of telling everyone involved in the wedding, "Sis has been so wonderful! Not only has she forgiven me for what happened at her wedding three years ago, she has graciously offered to make my own wedding extra special. I am in awe of her kindness and generosity; I can't wait to see what she has planned!"

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

mllaneza posted:

No, just a big one. With a pool. And a detached structure near the pool known as "the pool house".

Still :guillotine: though.

Maybe they live in an apartment with a pool? What home with a pool house only has one bathroom?

Him telling her to go outside to the pool house is consistent with his claim that he can smell it anywhere in the house. But why would she not just suggest he use another bathroom in the house, unless there's only one?

He's an idiot and a jerk either way, so I'm voting for :guillotine: as well.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Pyrtanis posted:

Honestly, when I saw the post I thought "hmm someone's mooncup runneth over" but as you said, toilet paper exists

I've had a couple of incidents with the cup that veer into "last call at the sacrificial altar" territory, but I cannot fathom just blithely wandering off and leaving it. Especially in my home bathroom, where I have access to an assortment of cleaning supplies!

Just ew ew ew.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

DemoneeHo posted:

Superspreader Christmas wedding

Stay tuned for 2020's Hallmark holiday movie, starring Mario Lopez and Melissa Joan Hart.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
I thought she meant he'd been lying to his mom (and maybe friends?) about having gotten a new job (or still having his previous job). But your read is even worse! Ugh.

Edit: beaten!

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Play posted:

There was a post earlier about a young kid desperately trying to change his name but his parents wouldn't let him. Then he turned in a bullshit report about the origin of his name, knowing he would have to read it aloud to the class and wanting to avoid embarrassment. Of course his parents found out and demanded he change it.

I'm sorry but that's hosed up and parents can and do bear responsibility for naming their loving son after star wars

I remember this one but I wanted to read it again and can't find it. Do you remember anything else?

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Thanks! I forgot how blatant the name was. Poor kid.

Play posted:

pretty sure the name literally had "Darth" in it in case that helps. lol.

Yeah, I forgot about Darth, or blocked it from my mind out of horror. :v:

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

zakharov posted:

WTF is with these extremely serious and stupid bets that men (always ben) keep taking?

I just want to know who signed the baseball.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for thinking my wife is being materialistic and immature?

It never ceases to amaze me how obliviously selfish some people can be.

This guy and his whole family just never thought about her feelings once. They're just blithely showering each other with mountains of gifts, without anyone thinking about her except in a perfunctory way. And when confronted with why she's upset he dismisses her as being materialistic.

It's just astounding.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

sephiRoth IRA posted:

And you thought the hot takes on background checks pissed you off?

AITA For how I reacted when my wife made me spend the night at my in-laws house when I wanted to go home?

I hope his wife reads this: :vd:

Wasn't there a similar one to this where the person had some sort of mobility impairment and was just left somewhere by their caregiver or otherwise treated like a child or someone severely mentally challenged?

ZoeDomingo fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 2, 2021

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Hughlander posted:

I (29F) incorrectly thought my BF (31M) was cheating, and I ruined everything

I wonder why he said he was going to his brother's house, instead of mentioning the plans with his niece? Not that it justifies anything she did. I'm just confused by the situation as she described it.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

teen witch posted:

The teacher one is good but man “my diabetes!” is up there

Yes, I vote for My dad yelled "my diabetes!" as in he was in shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
The one about the jealous manager reminded me of this other amazing Ask a Manager saga: Is the work environment I've created on my team too exclusive? I started quoting and bolding portions, but it's all so nuts I gave up. Please go read it.

quote:

I’m writing this question based on feedback received from an exit interview. A woman in her mid-30’s left my department after a little over a year.... Her senior team members and I were sad to see her go. HR sent me the results of her exit interview and wanted to discuss “the cultural problems in my department.”

The "cultural problems" included the rest of the team going on a weekly "beer run" during work hours, leaving this employee to staff the whole office; playing on Snapchat instead of helping the employee with anything; and an ongoing sexual relationship between a supervisor and their direct report.

quote:

I don’t feel like this is a cultural issue; I think this was her not being a good fit for our team.... Am I in the wrong or is the former employee just out of touch with how a team of professional millennials works?

The letter writer adds some more info in her comments, and WOW...

quote:

....Her co-workers in her pod had taken pictures of her and captioned them inappropriately on SnapChat-making fun of her weight, her clothes/style, how much water she drank etc. Someone who had seen them had saved them and also complained to HR. When I find out who complained, I want to move them to another team.

....If I knew she would have been like this, I would have pushed back on my director not to hire her in favor for someone younger but she had a fantastic background that wowed my higher ups.

And then...

quote:

...hahah no but I am better educated than the ex employee. I have my MBA and I believe she had her bachelors in public policy
which resulted in Alison responding "this has gone past offensive."

Then...

quote:

I’m on a suspension pending investigation from work. I am extremely bitter that the person who turned in the SnapChats couldn't come to me first...

The letter writer posted an update that came as no surprise to anyone...

quote:

I was fired today without severance.... HR and the management team stated I had mismanaged my team and the ex-employee. I had given assignments meant for her and assigned to her by my director to other members on the team because I wanted to develop them.... I had also downgraded her end-of-year evaluation. I don’t think she deserved the praise she received from the sales staff, my director and client executives.... I thought if my team and I froze her out, she would leave. I called it un-managing.

Apparently the woman was supposed to be a higher level consultant, due to her years of experience, but the manager unofficially demoted her to associate because she didn't think it was fair to the rest of the team.

She closed with:

quote:

My entire team was fired. The reasons for the firings included alcohol at work, even though we were physically at the brewery, inappropriate social media behavior, and not meeting the code of conduct.

I’m not sure the lesson(s) I’m supposed to learn; I feel like I was the scapegoat for a favored employee’s reason to leave. Being dedicated to your work doesn’t mean you can’t have fun at the same time. My former team and I are wondering if we can take action against ex-employee — her exit interview damaged our reputation, our team, and our careers.

It was all so crazy Alison started to think it was a troll...

quote:

Me(Alison): I’m sorry to ask this, but I’m trying to figure out if this is real or not. There’s a lot in here that’s making me question it. You haven’t responded to any of the points brought up in my original answer or in the comments. Why?

Letter-writer (LW): Because I disagree with your points and I don’t want to constantly defend myself. My ex employee made me look bad and I thought that as Ask a Manager you would side with a manager.... I didn’t want the ex employee to begin with. So I wanted to make it uncomfortable for her to leave and didn’t think I’d lose my job in the process.

In the comments for that update, she finally acknowledges that she was jealous of the employee, and says she's getting therapy. There was a final update that ends the story on a positive note. The letter writer was getting therapy and was in a new (non-managerial) job, and said:

quote:

....I don’t ever want to manage again and that my personality is not one suited for management. I also had the ability to step back and review my behavior: I was self destructive in the work place and those behaviors rubbed off on my team as my team members were younger and more impressionable. I plan to continue individual therapy.... Thank you to you and your readers for your advice. While the comments were harsh, I took the time to read them a few times over throughout the course of therapy. It’s tough to hear how much people think you suck but it helped me get back on track.

ZoeDomingo fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 6, 2021