Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

This was my first thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epw0J45X-FI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

I just read the title, thought 'yep, that's an easy one, yta'. Then I saw MarcusSA's post lol

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

Inceltown posted:

Yeah, he's very understandably angry. He walked face first into that wall though.

Not really seeing this. He hadn't known that the woman was having sex with other guys. I tend to think guys who demand paternity tests or do everything they can to avoid having to support a child they have no reason to think isn't theirs are assholes; are you saying that not doing so made him naive?

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

I do kind of feel like the dad doesn't have it exactly right, either; there's a fine line between being proud of your son for standing up for himself understanding that he had to use violence in that situation, and being proud that your son won a fight. He should be a bit more explicit that it's the first one, not the second. Other than that I'd say he's in the right.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

This guy is gonna have a follow up where he complains his wife is divorcing him out of nowhere

I mean, he's correct in that Chinese is an absurdly difficult language for someone from an English speaking background. Without a ton of motivation it's kind of a lost cause. His dismissiveness is what makes him the rear end in a top hat; even if he can only muster a simple greetings or whatever his in laws would hopefully appreciate the gesture.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

Muscle Wizard posted:

you are making an awful lot of assumptions there my friend.

Once a bra destroyer, always a bra destroyer. Any future personal or professional disputes he encounters with a woman, he's got his trump card.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

Muscle Wizard posted:

lmao jesus christ

You laugh, but there have been studies about this. People's treatment of their siblings during adolescence is perfectly representative of how they behave throughout the rest of their lives. I actually gave my junior coworker a purple nurple just the other day.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

quote:

They say my brother was incredibly hurt by my message- I told them I was incredibly hurt by his driving.

Lmao

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

quote:

Edit - Her kids are 28 and 25. My kids are 16 and 18.

Lol

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

quote:

Julie does sound like she sucks but

Can't say I agree. The author doesn't even imply that Julie was being gloaty or bringing this up at a bad time. I mean, look how weak the poo poo this person's bringing up to try and imply that Julie is underserving of this promotion. We're not talking about nepotism or any other kind of office politics, it's just the redder making a big deal about her being an internal hire instead of external, and about her sex life in high school. She just straight up can't handle her friend sharing some positive news.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

You should forgive your friend Julia

how do you know about my issues with my friend Julia?

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Doesn’t matter if it’s valid or not it’s fairly common.

First off, it's not that common. There are people who are able to feel happiness for their friends' successes without immediately grousing about their own circumstances (for example, all of the other people in that conversation, who the OP claims are also less fortunate, but were all at least able to keep a lid on their jealousy).

More to the point, though, "Doesn't matter if its valid or not" -- wtf? It doesn't matter if her friend is being self centred and immature by immediately thinking of herself when Julie tells her something good that happened to her, it's still wrong of Julie do to it?

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

I honestly feel like the best thing he can do is get a covert paternity test, then either confront the girl or forget the whole thing and take the paternity test to his grave depending on the result. I remember one a bit like this from a while ago, but the guy basically never bonded with his kid because he couldn't get the thought out of his head; that just seems like the worst possible outcome to me.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

Does anyone by any chance have the one where some dork got shot down, then wrote the cringiest letter ever about it? He kept writing "You. Yes, you."

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

New Coke posted:

Does anyone by any chance have the one where some dork got shot down, then wrote the cringiest letter ever about it? He kept writing "You. Yes, you."

Found it. Apparently it's only from about a month ago. Jesus, these days are going by slowly. I'm probably the only one struck by the need to revisit this one, but here it is anyway:

NIGARS posted:

I tried to kiss my best friend. It didn't work.

He posted the email apology after someone asked

It's even worse than I remembered :barf:

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The incredible shrinking age gap.

It was 20 vs 17 at best, 21 v 16 at worst.

This sounds off to me.

quote:

AITA for telling my (F21) friends my ex boyfriend/roommate (M24) is trans?

They're 24 and 21. This implies a 3 year age gap, but it could be just under four years if she just turned 21 and he's about to turn 25, or just over 2 years, if he just turned 24 and she is about to turn 22. The best case scenario would have been 18 and 20. There's no way they could have been 16 and 21 at any point. 16 and 20 is the worst case, which is not great, but again; worst case scenario.

[Edit: This is still wrong. The worst case is 17 and 21]

New Coke fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 12, 2020

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

quote:

I [17F] shot my brother [24M] with my dad’s gun when I was 10. Haven’t heard from him ever since. Should I reach out?

Oof. Man, mothergently caress that dad.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

That's a pretty big assumption. I mean, in general, sure, women are socialized to be more conciliatory and tend to make more sacrifices in a relationship. I'm reeeally not getting that vibe from this lady, though.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

I swear that was an episode of Brooklynn 99.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

quote:

DID YOU loving READ IT? REREAD THE OP. ITS NOT SOCIAL loving ANXIETY, SHE THINKS SHES ABOVE THEM.

I mean, you say this, but the OP specifically mentions her being afraid of being judged, which is absolutely in line with the social loving anxiety theory. Yes, she also mentions servers' "entitlement", but that post is nowhere near as cut and dried as this admonishment makes it sound.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

AITA for refusing to pay to repair my girlfriend's violin bow after my nephew's broke it.

:owned:

I can't believe how common it is for people to think like this. "Hey, these pieces of professional equipment would be a great kids' toy!"

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

Tarkus posted:

I know that with the way it's bolded that we should be upset with the OP but frankly I'm not. Was what the co-worker did slightly inappropriate? Sure a bit, I don't like those touchy and feely dudes either but I just accept it for what it is and make clear that I'm not a touchy feely guy and people leave me alone after the first time. Did he flick her nipple and give her a peck on the nose? no. let HR and both of them settle it out. No need for a crusade.

Agreed. Dude should probably not just assume that other people are cool with being touched like that, but that coworker talking poo poo about the OP like that then expecting her support is just wild.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

Cliff posted:

Everything you bolded could also be explained by him being a turd who does no emotional labor, which frankly seems simpler and therefore more likely.

This is possible, but it is also something that people always always say about people with ADHD.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You've clearly never actually tried to navigate a school website, they really genuinely are that loving impossible to use.

Looks like the dad's gotten boomer brain and just hates the existence of video games while the mom is completely checked out.

I absolutely have navigated a schools website and this seems like an exaggeration. Yes, they're often frustrating and cumbersome, but not actually so much so that someone who made a real effort couldn't figure it out. The alternative other goons have suggested seems way more likely to me, where the kid gave up as soon as it was more difficult than it should have been.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

Kind of agree. At least in cases where it's 100% obvious that the owner doesn't actually own goats, like the apartment dwellers.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

I wouldn't have done it. Granted I would probably have kept quiet about the speeding part too, if it was only 10km over.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

It's just the friend in the story and that one weirdo saying that AFAIC.

It's kind of an odd slogan for a white guy to be sporting and I guess someone who didn't know the story might think he was making fun of it or something, so it might be worth sticking to wearing it in private just based on that alone. Saying that other people might reach the wrong conclusion is a bit different from saying that it's racist, though.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

The real purpose of the ignore button is more to give you a heads up that you're about to read something dumb than to actually hide bad posters. I can't resist clicking the button to show the post, and it inevitably gets quoted anyway.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

I'm sure this varies a ton by region, but in my area an employer is required to provide transportation after a certain hour, either by having management provide a ride or reimbursing for a cab.

edit -- okay, I checked and that hour's a fair bit later than 9. 1:00 AM; basically, after the buses stop running.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for calling my airsoft group a bunch of whiny cry babies because they cancelled our event over rain

Anyone who makes a big thing about being 'tough, special forces' is an rear end in a top hat, including literal special forces. However, lol at bailing on a recreational activity because the weather making it miserable being a pussy move.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

DemoneeHo posted:

This reads like a sixbrownchicks tweet expanded into a full story:

She lied about being pregnant and is now really pregnant

That, or Julia Dreyfus's character from Arrested Development

Edit: ^ Pharmacy programs are HARD, and extremely competitive. Think less basic arithmetic and more organic chemistry. The more suprising thing to me is that they made it into the program to begin with.

New Coke fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 20, 2020

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

quote:

From Google:
What is the definition of physical violence?
1. Any act where an individual attempts to harm another through physical means. Thus, physical violence is a more severe form of aggression. In the workplace, examples of physical violence include shoving, slapping, kicking, and tripping a coworker, supervisor, or client.

I think the term 'abuse' implies exploiting some sort of trust or power over the other person. I wouldn't call some guy beating up a near stranger he's never going to see again physical abuse any more than I would call yelling at someone in traffic emotional abuse.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

I remember that guy who did the Ask/Tell about prison saying that size was far and away the most important thing in being a good fighter. So a 55 year old, 270 pound couch potato is going to beat an athletic, 150 pound 25 year old every time. Like most of you I've never been in a serious fight, but my second hand experience kind of bears this out :shrug:.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

I would be really loving mad about it and I definitely can't blame the OP for not being willing to donate again. But, I like to think that if I were in their position, I would still prioritize trying to save that 12 year old.

Edit: I guess around 15 at this point.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

This story makes no sense. Who poured water on the mom? Why did this stepdad sell the car?

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

I think this is a fairly common thing with people who've just come out. OP got very justifiably upset, but I also think she needs to explain that she's very happy friend has discovered who she is, and that she's understandably excited, but OP is as straight as she is gay and she needs to accept that.

Friend might have a crush on OP and that needs to get shut down or friend has to move out.

"I don't have a problem with gays but I wish they wouldn't throw it in my face like that" is a time worn slogan among homophobes, which is unfortunate, because there's also stuff like this story where it kind of applies. As always, there's a relevant onion piece:

https://local.theonion.com/newly-out-gay-man-overdoing-it-1819566609

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for angering an elderly Thai woman by not taking the "Chicken Poop Prison" seriously?

Oof, I googled that prison a bit. Man that's hosed. Like, it sounds like it's mostly just really gross, but it actually causes serious physical reactions because of the ammonia entering your system.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/travel/destinations/the-chicken-poop-prison-of-thailand-a-story-of-unimaginable-brutality/as72439519.cms

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

Motronic posted:

Now your just inventing details. That's not what happened in the story at all.

The wife said that he shouldn't have said anything. That's a bit more than a hop skip and a jump from "sided with the math teacher."

The wife was right about that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

quote:

and I feel like I hosed up

:thunk: