Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Ooof, he was the best man too, that makes it even shittier. Having unexpectedly lost my father and having been a bit mad with grief at the time, I still think the gf was a bit overdramatic, and the mom was a bitch, and that they could have had the funeral on Fri or Monday. Then again I have the emotional depth of a teaspooon so what the gently caress do I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Vday isn’t the busiest day of the year, it’s just amateur hour.

This is from a few pages back but this is the opposite of true. There is literally no time you can offer that people won't take. Our dinner shift started at 3:30 pm (we generally open at five) because Vday assholes are rabid and will take even the joke times that you offer with the expectation they will say no. They're also amateurs, but rabid ones.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol fascinating, thanks for not letting that one go by.

I had a lady take a 3:30 rez who asked the incredibly sensible question wondering if we'd be using the dinner menu at that hour.

edit: It didn't matter she was just curious

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Mother's Day is deffos worse though.

It might be but the guy who owns the restaurant would be killed by both his mother and wife if we opened on that day so I'm safe and don't know. Brunch in general is one of the circles of hell where sorcerers and MRA's are sent though, I know that much.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I’ve been running restaurants for 20 years - Vday is busy but because it’s all 2tops who dine longer and tends to be amateurs who are not regular ‘out to dinner’ folks, you do far fewer covers & turns total. Ie Friday my restaurant did 342 whereas we often do 570+ on a standard Friday night.

Well if you're getting lots of dates vs married people yes, I agree. Married people are in and out. God help you if they've just started dating, then you're getting 3+ hours. We were going for about 1.5 hours per turn, and got 4 full turns out of the dining room. Amateurs are easy to turn in my experience.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Came up in the reddit comments that one of the low key crazy things is she only took one of her twins. He has at least apparently called off the wedding.

Yeah what was up with that? Did the OP ever explain it in the comments?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

They also lay eggs through it, which is where the salmonella risk comes from. Salmonella is the reptile version of E. coli after all.

...what were we discussing again?

Things that ducks do

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

That in turn reminded me of the guy who got the family heirloom furniture painted/refinished/ruined as a surprise present

edit: There it is

I (29f) had chairs that's been in my family since the 1700s. Were literally priceless. Husband (30m) thought he'd do a nice thing and have them cleaned and finished which has ruined them and removed most of the value. I'm sick to my stomach and don't know what to do.

quote:

I'm almost in a deep clinical depression over this because there's so much loss at hand. I don't think I'm being overly dramatic here, I feel like something beautiful has been forever ruined. Basically I had two chairs that had been in my family since the 1700s. They were among maybe 25-50 surviving pieces that were in 100% original condition with all original hardware and fabric made by a well known Massachusetts furniture maker. My mom actually took them on an early taping of antiques road show and it was one of those moments where the value both in terms of dollars and history brought her and the appraiser to tears. I don't want to say exactly how much but had she sold them at the time, she could have bought a new house. I don't know what they were worth today because I never, ever planned on getting rid of them. I've had authors, academics, well known wood workers, collectors even Hollywood set decorators contact me to study them, take pictures and try to copy the techniques.

Like I said, one the truly unique things about these chairs was that aside from cleaning and dusting, they had never been redone. They were far from perfect shape but that was part of the appeal and certainly part of the value because other surviving versions of similar chairs have been painted, re-varnished, re-upholstered, etc... I was so lucky that so many generations of my family saw an intrinsic value in keeping them original.

I walked into the attic room yesterday where I keep them and immediately noticed they were gone. I freaked out, I called the police (try explaining to a 911 operator that it's a crisis your chairs are missing), I immediately called the special company that insures them and it quickly spiraled into a full blown crisis. I called my husband and explained to him that we've been robbed so he freaked out and came home. When he got home there were two police officers in the house attempting to tell me that there's no evidence of a break in at all and that the type of thieves who are common in our area would never know to go after chairs. I was hysterical trying to explain the value of these chairs. My husband said something like "this is over the chairs? I know where the chairs are." I said where. He said basically that he knew how special they were to me so he had taken them to an antique restorer in Boston to have them rebuilt, refinished and reupholstered as a Christmas surprise. I was instantly sick to my stomach. The police left, warned me about freaking out but I honestly couldn't hear what they said I was in a blind panic over what was happening to my chairs.

I demanded my husband drive me into Boston to try and stop this. It's too late, they had ripped off all the original upholstery, sanded down all the nicks and scratches and had a applied a horrible chemical stripper and were, moreover they had broken several of the original metal fittings (that were older than the chairs) trying to disassemble each of them. Both are ruined, I mean beyond ruined. I can't even begin to calculate the dollar value lost but the historical value of these being lost is indescribable. This place isn't even a reputable furniture restorer place because they've been in business for maybe a year and anyone who was worth a drat probably would have known about my chairs anyways and refused my husbands request and tried to buy them from him or get them in a museum.

Every year, several local museums contact me to donate them to their collections and I've always refused. I literally to the point of severe depression because I was too stupid to take them up on it.

As for my husband, I don't even know where to begin. At first he was really defensive because I wasn't appreciative of how much work he'd gone through but when he realized that I was devastated and about to kill him if he kept talking like that he tried to be apologetic. I can't even begin to hear it. He knew how much these chairs meant to me and may family, he knew (and has seen the video, we have it on VHS for gods sake) of my mom on Antiques Roadshow and how they said to never change them. He know's I hire a professional antique furniture cleaner who know's exactly what they're doing to take a look at them and clean them with museum methods. and after all that, he took them to some fly by night furniture chop shop and ruined chairs that were almost 300 years old.

I can't even begin to reiterate how devastated I am. I don't think I can ever look at him again in the same way. How could I possibly? What do I do here?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

I can understand ordering pastries from a shop, it's so easy to overcook them at home and then you just end up with these rubbery pink things you have to drown in cocktail sauce.

I'm going to need proof that you aren't an alien learning the ropes of posing as a human

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

This is a hard one. The parents should work together in a case of discipline. But on the other hand, if the father pushes too hard it's likely the son will reject this and rebel. I believe this is what happened to Cumshitter's idiot het-son

Jeez man, he reads the thread, that's super hurtful. Blaming cumshitter for his son... how dare you.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Railing Kill posted:

Good luck. Let me know if you solve that puzzle. Doing so would be to parenting what curing the common cold would be to medicine.

My sister did it. She's been super strict that her daughter decides how she physically interacts with people. When its time to say goodbye for example she'll ask how she wants to say goodbye, "wave, high five, hug?" and is just 100% consistent with not letting anyone get around that. Even the grandmas have been trained to accept the wave if that's how she's feeling.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I don't even eat cats and I've threatened to cook all three of mine repeatedly over the last two weeks.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

pentyne posted:

There are semi-regular posts about "I don't see anything wrong it" with someone wearing a bodycon dress and shocked, shocked I say that a skin tight low cut minidress would possibly cause people to get upset at a church potluck.

I work at a very tiny and very pretty restaurant and we tend to rent out for baby/bridal showers for people with more money then sense. EVERY SINGLE TIME there is one woman who clearly got up early, went to the salon, got a full on airbrush and blowout, who shows up in some kind of insane bodycon poo poo (my favorite was the white lace one that only actually covered the necessary bits) for a party at 11 in the goddamn morning. These are always women only events and they are never the guest of honor. Its so weird and kind of dickish to the person being celebrated. I'll never understand it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA for sending my stepmum a rude floral arrangement?

Stepmom sounds like a real catch.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Piell posted:

AITA for telling my wife that we're BOTH pregnant?

My first thought on reading this was "oh...this man's going to die, probably soon and violently"

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Bronze Fonz posted:

Was gonna say yeah I remember being 16 years old and having such stupid arguments over hypothetical scenarios that would never happen in a million years, then I noticed they're both in their mid-thirties.

IDK, seems pretty par for the course for SA threads and derails and we're old as gently caress. Not saying its not a fantastically stupid one in this case though.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Deified Data posted:

*slams fist on table*

The guy who's wife won't let him go upstairs. Did we get updates or not?

We just have to assume she killed him, ate him, and is currently wearing his skin in some kind of hilarious 90's esque comedy where she's trying to hold down both jobs at once and going on double dates etc.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for wearing the plastic tiara my “feminist” dil got me?

I mean I hate this lady, but at the same time, DIL is absolutely reaping what she sowed with the whole tiara gift. Like what did she think was going to happen?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Very disappointed in the confusingly worded title.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

How do people not know what a petit four is? Bitches just need to drink more tea. Its the solution to so many problems.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

It’s not on reddit, but whoooooo THERES A LOT GOING ON HERE:

https://twitter.com/izs/status/1276424491048947712?s=21

I hope he's referring to access to birth control and the ability to get an abortion (i.e. take the time off work etc, live somewhere where its legal, afford it). In that sense yes, it is.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Oh no, definitely not. Click through and read the thread, it's a doozy

E: this was the first time I encountered the post timer thing, that sucks.

oh my. That guy does go on for a hot min. Maybe he shouldn't have had kids.

gently caress THE POST TIMER FREE THE POSTS

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

The bartender not warning the person who just walked into the room that "I'll have what he's having" is going to result in over $1,000 for each round (four people) is definitely an rear end in a top hat. And while I don't know the legality of it I'd definitely say that's a scummy bar that was definitely trying to exploit the guy if not necessarily "cheat" him. The OP probably could have prevented it but it's not his error. That's an outrageous thing for the bar to let happen.

It would be one thing if this happened in some ritzy joint where it's a given everyone is loaded, but it was just some hotel bar.

I worked in one of those places and you still double check before you pour. Just because its not a problem most of the time doesn't mean its not A loving PROBLEM the one time it is.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Jabor posted:

You woke up in the middle of the night because sleeping from sundown to sunup was way too long. The electric light means we don't go to bed at sundown any more.

Depends on your latitude and the season

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for not accommodating SIL’s food allergy?

TL/DR "I asked my SIL to cook something for my family that she can't eat because she's highly allergic to a main ingredient and was then pissed off when her husband wanted to cook her something since she was only eating cereal! AITA?"

He talks about how tired he is, but SIL did the cooking and then put the kids to bed, and his wife did all the cleaning up, hell he didn't even go shopping, he sent his other brother out for anything that wasn't on hand already. What exactly was he doing this whole time?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Sillybones posted:

What would be the nickname for that? Theus? Theo?

Promi

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Who can't last 5 hours on cheeseboard, big plate of pasta, and pie? Assuming this is around dinner time, like do you really need a 2 pizza snack after that?

That's leaving aside that ordering the pizza is head exploding levels of rude and I just don't understand why people aren't getting this.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I kind of get that one. I was a lovely kid. Like so bad that years later once I'd finally emerged from my larval poo poo state and was talking to my parents they admitted I'd ruined so many family vacations they had discussed figuring out a way to stow me somewhere when they did the next one. They never did thankfully, but looking back if I'd kept that poo poo up it wouldn't have been a wrong decision. I was super depressed and all hosed up on hormones and an abusive relationship or two by the time I was halfway through HS and I hate to use the term "snapped out of it" but it's kind of what happened. I'm still depressed and hosed up but I don't inflict it on people with no regard to how they treat me anymore.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Who? The guy who needed the transplant probably had other things on his mind. Sounds like the wife needed an excuse and got overconfident and figured she could get a quadruple bonus, 1) the money she stole, 2) the insurance money for the theft 3) her husband's affair partner in prison 4) her husband's life insurance money after OP pulled out.

what?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Straight White Shark posted:

I think it's because most of the people who post ITT are cheating on their partners.

You think? I thought this thread was all about cheater death.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for laughing at my mothers plans to have a baby?

There's a lot to unpack here. The childhood dog is great sure, but why is a 28 yr old supporting her 46 year old mother? How did that become the plan? What's up with her mom's bf? Why isn't she living with him if they're serious enough that he's happy to knock her up on command? Midlife crisis or AttentionBaby?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Invisible Clergy posted:

1 tbsp/gallon. If you like less, you're allowed to use less. Also, the pasta isn't going to be as salty as the water.

Seawater is 3.5% salt, roughly 2 tablespoons salt per liter. (I don't mean to be an rear end, but please stop perpetuating the seawater analogy. It ruins people's pasta)

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/how-salty-should-pasta-water-be.html

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Bonster posted:

AITA for "taking out my bad day on others?

I remember once after my mom had some kind of dental surgery she was telling me about how she spent the entire day thinking how everyone around her was in such a lovely mood and a complete rear end in a top hat only to realize at the end of the day that it was in fact her being a massive bitch because she was in pain. She was full of really helpful tiny epiphanies like that that always stuck with me. This lady however.....woof. That's a big old pile of crazy.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for mocking my brother for getting rejected by his dream college (that I got into) because he keeps tormenting me over it?

Gluing the rejection letters into the drawers is :discourse:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Hasturtium posted:

Best case scenario, he’s being incredibly irresponsible and trying to relive his youth with people half his age. That will all end in fire and tears the second one of them gets pulled over after getting hosed with his boss. Him being unable to get over her asking if girls are present reeks of projecting guilt onto her - if they aren’t present, then part of him definitely wishes they were. This is all super toxic and dumb as hell.

edit: I’m also being generous and assuming he isn’t flat-out cheating on her and lying about it. Occam’s razor, yo.

He's a restaurant owner and therefore has a 90%+ chance to be loving one of the waitresses assuming he can. The fireball probably helps.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

therobit posted:

Ha ha. When my parents were a lot younger and I was a baby , my dad made the mistake of saying something about my mom's clothing and did she have a hard day or something. I don't think he was anywhere near that blunt but that's how my mom took it anyway. She said, "Fine, I'll dress better for you." She then drove to the mall and took out a credit at Nordstrom's, and then rage purchased an entire new wardrobe. They absolutely could not afford it at the time and she was totally unapologetic about it. Dad never stepped on that particular landmine again.

Your mom is the rear end in a top hat here but I kinda want to go bar hopping and run around starting poo poo with her.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

AITA for kicking out my sister after she sabotaged a meeting with a fertility clinic?

quote:

8 years ago, my (29f) sister (32f) got pregnant. The father wasn't involved and my sister didn't want the baby, but she also couldn't bring herself to terminate or adopt out to strangers. She approached me and my (now ex) husband, and asked if we would be willing to adopt her child. We weren't sure as we were concerned this would lead to issues down the line but my sister insisted that it wouldn't so we ultimately agreed. Before Lucy was a year old, my husband left us both because my sister lied about Lucy's father.

When Lucy was 4, I got together with my wife, and we married last year. My sister has said that seeing me and my wife with Lucy (who is now 7) confirms to her that she made the right decision.

When I first adopted Lucy, my husband and I told my sister that we wanted multiple children, which she said she was fine with at the time, but now my wife and I are looking into our options and my sister objects.

My sister has been staying with us since July because her boyfriend kicked her out.

She keeps asking Lucy if she's sure she wants siblings (Lucy has said that she does), and telling us she's worried we won't be able to give Lucy what she needs, and then today happened.

We had an online consultation with a fertility clinic to talk about sperm donation. We told my sister about it and asked her to keep an eye on Lucy while we talked. The wifi went randomly on and off 3 times during the session, booting us out of the call each time. The third time, my wife went to check it and saw my sister holding the power cord, and Lucy trying to plug it back in. Lucy saw my wife and said "auntie keeps turning the wifi off". Wife plugged it back in, but we could no longer get into the session and we got an email from the doctor saying that if the wifi is going to be this bad then maybe we should try a more local clinic as we can't do online consultations.

When we confronted my sister she admitted that she wants Lucy to be an only child so she has 100% of our undivided attention, and then said in a sarcastic tone "forgive me for only wanting what's best for my daughter" to which we responded that Lucy isn't her daughter. Things escalated until I said that my sister should go stay with our parents, and my wife drove her to their place.

Since leaving (a few hours ago) she's apologised and begged to come back, and my parents have also asked me to take her back, but I've refused. They've all called me an arsehole for kicking my own sister out after one argument, because now she's unable to get to work (no car and too far to walk) and she's back in her childhood room while at our place she had a studio to herself behind the house.

AITA?

Huh, weird that the ex-husband left over a problem re: the bio baby daddy...wonder why?

quote:

My husband was concerned about adopting a baby because his grandparents are opposed to adoption (they want him, as the only male grandchild, to "carry on the bloodline") and they could have prevented him taking over the family business, which was his ultimate life plan, so he said that if Lucy didn't look like she could be our daughter, then that was a dealbreaker for him (and it was possible for us to keep up this pretense as we only saw his grandparents and extended family once every couple of years). My sister responded that the biodad looked a lot like my husband (green eyes, blonde, Caucasian), and as my sister and I look very similar, it would totally work if he told his grandparents that Lucy was his kid, so he told them that I was pregnant with our child. Not the best idea but I didn't know what he was doing until after he already did it, and they had this conversation about Lucy's appearance without me there. Fast forward to the birth, and Lucy looks nothing like him. Sister admits that the dad is actually Puerto Rican, with brown eyes and olive skin, which Lucy has inherited from him, but other than skin tone and eyes she looks exactly like me, so the lie blows up in my ex's face, and everyone thinks I cheated on him. He then leaves because he can't take the amount of people who think he's raising a child who is from his wife cheating on him.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

My husband (30/M) spontaneously flew halfway across the world to take a selfie in front of a landmark without telling me (31/F) and is on his way back now.

What stuck out at me about this one was how she was trying to force herself to calm down so that everyone else (including him) would be less tense. That is some loving womanbrain poo poo (socialized not biological) I somehow missed the first time that was posted.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

In our family that was purses.

One of my favorite things to do is tell dudes who ask me for a smoke/asprin/whatever is in my purse to just go grab it out of there, its right on top, don't worry. They'll flap around like a scandalized Victorian for a few min and then come over, sheepishly holding the purse out at me like its locked by an unsolvable riddle written in the ancient tongue. The look on their face is just glorious every single time.

edit: the purse is generally open when this happens, and if its not there is maybe a single zipper between them and their goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

What a strange thing to get off on.

Given the thread we're in I'm shocked it rates higher than a 3/10