Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

yikes! posted:

There is no way that Pete story is real

Some people really are that stupid, and some Petes really do know how to properly deal with stupid people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

hawowanlawow posted:

six is too old to be knocking over cupcake towers and punching them

In that situation, the kid may have been anxious to find out the baby's gender (think how important that is to many 6-year-olds; total "battle of the sexes" mindset.) The adults weren't eating enough cupcakes, so he came up with an expedient way to finish the gender reveal. It'll be a cute story one day.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What a dumb realtor. Some clients will pay extra to live in a murder house.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

DemoneeHo posted:

WIBTA If I created an autobot to reply to my girlfriend?

I'm reminded of the goon who accidentally created an infinite loop when he set up his social media so every time he got a Discord message, he got a Facebook notification, and every time he got a Facebook notification, he got an email, and every time he got an email, he got a Discord message about it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Royal Navy used to pay £2 a week to ship's cats, until they banned animals from ships in 1975. I wonder how that worked for tax purposes.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It led me to this relationships post where the OP is obviously an rear end in a top hat, though:

My mom wants me to change my baby's name because it reminds her too much of the man who killed her friends. She is now starting to shun him and only pay attention to my older child.

Edit: Well, obvious to me, not particularly obvious to the relationship advice posters, apparently, who all feel very sorry for the mother but mostly agree with OP that she needs to protect the child and not by changing their name.

How in the world is OP the rear end in a top hat here? Changing a baby's name, even if it's only a few month's old, is really traumatic to the child.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

DemoneeHo posted:

I’m pretty sure my husband is leaving me! Buckle up for this wild ride!

This whole story is terrible, that poor woman. I'm glad she won't be with her husband anymore.

I hope she never had to pay the fraudulent credit card bills. I know you have to press charges to clear the bills in these cases, but how does that work if the person who ran up the bills is dead?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MarcusSA posted:

I’m curious how this went down. Did she like give them a written test or was it more of a touch your nose with your finger test?

If you're not a huge goon, it's a simple matter of asking "how ya doin" and making sure both people are coherent.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The highest level of Scientology is where they point out that they're a registered charity, and if you give them $1 million, they'll tell the IRS that you donated $10 million and get you a massive tax break. This is why so many Hollywood celebrities believe in this obvious bullshit. They have charity status because when the government started asking questions in the 70s, the Church harassed their agents so badly that the United States simply gave up trying to control them.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

She needs to call off the wedding and have a "thank God I'm not marrying that fucker" celebration with her bridesmaids.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PetraCore posted:

I'm not tiny, I eat when I'm hungry but I think I can start feeling hungry earlier than normal or pack down larger portions than is healthy before I feel sated. And that story is horrific and baffling. Does that guy simply not feel sated anymore? Even if he's like, twice my weight, how does he not feel full? I've heard of people who have errors in the signalling pathway that cause satiation so they're always hungry and need caretakers rationing out food for them because they'll never naturally hit a feeling of satiation, but I didn't realize it was something you could gently caress up so far on your own.

I have binge eating disorder, and there's a point when I'm overeating where I feel queasy and stuffed and the only thing that relieves it is eating more food. I've never eaten that much around other people though, because it's mortifying when someone notices how much I can eat. I feel for party sub guy, but he needs to own up on his problem with food and work on overcoming it or he'll be in a Rascal scooter by age 40.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Oompa-loompa body-rear end bitch is my new favourite example of "don't launch bombs when the other side has nukes."

ArbitraryC posted:

She mentions strapless bras in there and just sort of handwaves them away as "they don't work" but I dunno I had an ex with with huge tracts of land and while she thought strapless ones were kind of uncomfortable she did wear them on odd occasions and they did work just fine. Wonder if the OP never really got fitted properly?

That's a question the bride should ask privately, instead of shaming her in the bridesmaid group chat. Good point, though.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lasagna, and mac & cheese are inherently vegetarian foods. I'm baffled by people who think every meal needs to have meat or it'll turn you into a hippie.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

girl pants posted:

I really, really, really hope this guy's wife is acting super shady because she wants to play pokeymans.

I know Pokemon Go fanatics who have spent thousands on the game. Much of which is the price of multiple phone plans, because when they get a new phone they just transfer over their account and then make a backup profile on the old phone. Combine that with a spending problem she wants to keep secret, yeah, I can definitely see it.

SirSamVimes posted:

This can't be real.

It could be one of those posts where the wife is posting in the voice of her husband, in order to see all of Reddit yelling at him.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for buying a $50,000 guitar for $4,000 and refusing to sell it back when the buyer found out the real value?

In the Magic: The Gathering community, it would be a huge dick move to screw someone who doesn't know any better by offering $4 for a $50 card. This is the same thing times 1000, so OP is definitely the rear end in a top hat. Unfortunately, the guitar owner is legally out of luck and it sounds like he took it badly, which led to even more problems for him. Caveat vendor.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

InediblePenguin posted:

they are purposefully training kids to do the gish gallop? are high school debate societies funded by the GOP?

I did debate in junior high and most of us learned that even though someone can win a debate by arguing in favour of whaling or sweatshops, it doesn't mean that is the correct position. The debate kids who didn't understand are libertarians now.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

How can a human being be so incurious that he hasn't snuck up there once? I'm betting on secret camgirl studio but there are so many intriguing possibilities.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

He's too terrified of being caught by the camera he knows she ordered on Amazon.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sjs00 posted:

It's gonna happen eventually. Just count yourself lucky if you get to say goodbye/ can afford a funeral. I didn't get either of those things and I garuantee I'm younger than you are.

I think he meant the idea of being told a parent died in a concise text, not the fact of a parent dying at all. That is, sadly, something almost all of us have to hear one day.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I think this cheese derail is missing the point, which is that all cultures have tasty foods that look and sound strange. Traditional American food is what you get from putting English, German, and Italian cooking in a meat grinder so it seems inoffensive to me, but stuff like chitlins, prairie oysters, and sauerkraut probably seem gross to foreigners.

I have autism and I hated the texture of beans and pierogies most of my life. When I went for Asian food I'd order steamed rice and the plainest fried chicken. My parents were never able to change what my pickiness, but when I started living on my own and cooking for myself all the time I got a lot more adventurous.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

RoboRodent posted:

My sister is vegetarian and for a while was parroting the vegan line of "no one is meant to be eating dairy!!!" and I had to arm myself accordingly. Which was easy because biology is my minor and I've taken a lot of genetics classes.

I'm vegan and even I think that's a silly argument. No one is meant to wear glasses or drive cars but we do that. Tell your sister she'll be more convincing by talking about the beef industry's climate impact instead of the naturalistic fallacy.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Women who get reductions tend to be excited when they finally have an appointment, because I hear there's a lot of hoops to jump between wanting the surgery to actually getting it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I apologize but I'm tired and not getting what the parents did in this one, can someone please dumb it down even more?

Horrific things that would be beside the point and distract from the point of her post.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

compshateme85 posted:

Just out of curiosity, are there states in the US where you can get married at 16 without parental consent? Or did this happen in another country? Apologies if I missed this.

There are thirteen states where the minimum age is 12, with the consent of a court clerk or if the girl is pregnant. In this case it helped OP escape her situation with a friend who clearly cares a lot and is an amazing person.

But this area of law is horrible in the US, especially the South, where grown men can legally get a middle schooler pregnant because being married retroactively makes it not rape. The girls are usually under massive family pressure to either get married or be disowned. If she tries to leave her husband, she is a juvenile runaway and the police will return her to him. Some conservative churches are fighting to make sure these laws don't change.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

InediblePenguin posted:

the guy sounds like a total fool and a liability to have around but what "treatment" is OP expecting him to get? if you're on that part of the spectrum it's just, like, "yep you sure are neurodivergent" it's not like there's fuckin autism pills to fuckin cure it

I have autism and therapy was really helpful. Just learning how to identify emotions in myself and others, and how a conversation works, made the difference from not being able to form friendships to having a normal social life.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MarcusSA posted:

Not gonna call her out as an AH but why didn’t she record it sooner when the husband was there?

She obviously left it till the last second and should have recorded it on her own but that wasn’t an option so :shrug: just take the hit and move on I guess.

She could have planned to have several hours to record the video, but it didn't work out. Giving an automatic zero when she completed the assignment is hosed. A university owes reasonable accommodations to pregnant women and new moms.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

pentyne posted:

Being married or paying your way/having a share is not the same as cohabitating and then imposing rules on the person who is paying the bills.

Everyone is missing the key part of the post where she insists it's her house too and he can't bring meat into it.

I'm sure people using their finances to abuse people all the time, but when you bring money/ownership into the argument you can absolutely expect it to be used against you if you aren't contributing or married.

It sounds like they were cohabitating for a while before she tried to introduce this rule. He met her halfway by making vegan food, and now she wants him to stop eating meat at home which would be most of his meals. Maybe she's just grossed out - I'm vegan and I know that after a couple years, meat stops looking like food and seems more like a dead rat in the fridge. Or maybe she decided she can't spend the rest of her life with an omnivore, so she's trying to ease him into it, but if that's the problem she needs to tell him openly.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yeah, I've also never understood the description of "depth perception" because having both eyes open looks the same as one eye open. But I'm fairly good at sports and if I lack normal depth perception wouldn't that be a problem? I'm curious about what the difference is and how this author so vividly described it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

cock hero flux posted:

it's obviously a real thing in that you can hurt or kill a baby by shaking it but I honestly can't tell why it'd be considered a syndrome. Maybe I'm being stupid or missing something here but isn't that like saying that someone has "Hit by a car Syndrome" or "Kicked in the nuts Disorder"?

A syndrome is a group of symptoms that often occur together, and two shaken babies will have more in common with each other than two people hit by cars. Acute radiation syndrome is similar, it has a physical cause and the symptoms are similar in anyone who gets it so it's called a syndrome.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

elise the great posted:

I’m bringing back eyeball chat, apologies in advance.

If I hold up my finger and point to a distant object, it’s not like I can point directly at it, like having my finger on the button, you know? Either the finger or the distant object will be duplicated as I focus on the other object— if I’m looking at the object, I see two fingers floating on either side of it, and if I look at my finger it’s right in the middle with two objects floating to either side, but off in the distance. How the dick is this test supposed to even work

Me too. Are other people somehow able to do this test and see only one finger and one distant object at the same time? That's not how eyeballs work, but it was described earlier as if it's a normal thing.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Barudak posted:

So is OP Odin or how else is his sleep that deep?

Since my first major concussion, it's impossible for others to wake me up, so maybe it's brain damage.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rich or witness protection.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

henkman posted:

My (29F) Boyfriend (29M) keeps getting into fights with a cook at Waffle House

I'm just glad to see an update about Fight Man.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The cook must think the boyfriend is doing it all in fun, and the fights are just impish fisticuffs. I hope that soon he'll be serving handmade meringue, or preparing a bowl of hot Korean soup and cracking an egg into it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Evil Willow posted:

LOL update from the ex-girlfriend!

What kind of idiot posts such a unique story, when he knows his soon-to-be ex reads that very subreddit?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ilmucche posted:

I like the kid who plays with their action figures to get homework done. It was a fun twist between "this kid is cool for finding a way to motivate themselves" and "why the gently caress are you in the closet masturbating"?

I recognize too many of the stories posted here, but what the gently caress was this one? Do you have the full story?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Telemaze posted:

I googled it too and according to wikipedia there have been ~27 fatal cougar attacks in the USA in the past 100 years. So chances are good this lady will be fine.

That's because people take sensible precautions. When there's an aggressive cougar in your neighbourhood, it's really stupid to say "don't worry, fatal cougar attacks are rare!"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pirate Radar posted:

I’m talking to some friends trying to think of an American figure who’s disliked enough that you could say “the most hated person in America” and people would start getting it immediately. Best we can come up with is Andy Dick?

It's either Trump or Obama, depending what circles you're in. There's no universally hated person in America because the country is so polarized, except maybe someone like Weinstein.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cyks posted:

Person walking by wasn't wrong for calling out people dumping trash for a photo out of context, but a little bit of vanity doesn't dismiss the good deed done by the group. Especially if those photos encourage other students to do good things.

I've seen photos on social media of the garbage backs packed up, with the beautifully cleaned up place in the background. Dumping trash in the river for a before and after shot seems stupid, but not exactly assholish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It sounds almost too good to be true - makes me wonder if $300 is a great day, but not his typical income. It doesn't really matter though.