Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
it should be obvious we can't change DNA like that, because if people could they'd do terrible things like making everyone white and giving them huge boobs and butts and weiners. the furries would probs animorph themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

not stuck up enough to stop taking money for years tho

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

quote:

My (26F) Husband (29M) claims that my friend (26F) tried to make a pass at him. She denies it and accused him of making a pass at her. I don’t know what to believe.
[new]

So this all happened two days ago and I still don’t know how to feel. My friend “Maya” came over to smoke weed with us and watch a baseball game the other day. I forgot that I had to pick up my prescription and the store was closing in a few minutes so I left them to go to the pharmacy. (My Pharmacy is about 15 mins away.) My boyfriend initially offered to pick it up for me but I didn’t think it would be fair to him since he is a much bigger fan of baseball than me. I would have asked Maya to go with me but she was talking on the phone to someone in our backyard. I sent her a text and let her know I’d be back.

On the way home I get a text from my husband “Steve” who tells me that Maya “tried to seduce him” while they were sitting on the couch together. According to him they were talking and watching the game and she slid closer and closer to him and put her hand on his thigh and went in for a kiss. He says he stood up and told her to leave.

When I got back Maya was gone and I texted her and asked her what happened. She said that my husband was a dog and tried to gently caress her while I was gone. She felt uncomfortable and left.

The two of them are friendly but they don’t talk to each other regularly as far as I know. My husband is a loyal man who I love dearly and I hate to think that he would do this but I also don’t want that to cloud my judgement. We’ve been married for 2 years, together for 6 and have a happy life. The house this happened in we bought less than 2 months ago.

Maya has been my friend for about 5 years. She is one of my closest friends and it’s equally difficult to imagine her making a move on my husband in our house, but I don’t want that to cloud my judgement.

I have no idea what to do. I can tell Steve is upset about the situation and if he is being truthful he is a victim and I feel bad that he is in this situation. Any advice would be appreciated.

TLDR: Friend and husband are accusing the other of trying to cheat on me. I’m having trouble thinking logically and figuring out what to do

lots of debate in the comments whose the liar

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

quote:

Nightmare Situation: Me(35F) with Partner(40M), my son and his nephew (15Ms)

EDIT: Thank you all so much for your support, advice and kind words! Your comments have given me a lot to think about, and I will be making contact with a family lawyer shortly.

Four years ago I met Bob (40M). Bob had recently become the guardian of his nephew Ben after the death of Ben's parents in a car accident. Ben is the same age as my son Jason, 11 at the time, now 15.

At first it seemed perfect. I was over the moon at finding a man who was not put off by the prospect of taking on a soon-to-be teenage stepson (Jason's father is not in the picture), and in spite of being very different personalities, the boys got along from the beginning, so Bob and Ben moved into my house within less than a year.

Ben was always a quieter, more creative kid where Jason is more athletic and boisterous, and from the start I got the sense that Bob 'understood' Jason's way of being more than he did Ben's. At first he would take them both to sports games, but Ben obviously had no interest and so pretty soon he just took Jason. At the time it seemed like a natural choice - Ben was bored at the games and Jason honestly reveled in having all Bob's attention - but after that things started unraveling. As they grew older the difference in the boys became more obvious (their choices of clothing, hairstyle, friends, music, hobbies, etc.), and so did Bob's preference. He started making little comments comparing them and encouraging Ben to be more like Jason. At first it seemed like he was trying to be helpful, thinking that Jason's way of being was healthier (he's more outgoing, has a more active social life, etc) because that's what he remembered from his own experience, but after a while there was clear snideness there which it was impossible not to hear. My son has always had a strong protective streak/sense of fairness, and in spite of their differences and the late age they were introduced, he and Ben are very close, so Jason's reaction to Bob's remarks favouring him was to take Ben's side. He stopped going to games with Bob and generally liking him, and for a while became openly hostile on Ben's behalf. That stopped once he and Bob had a major argument. Jason backed down at that point because, he told me, he realised that if he kept making himself unpleasant, Bob and I might break up, in which case Ben would have to leave too. Since then, with a few exceptions, he has been coldly civil. Meanwhile, Bob has come to believe Ben is gay based on what I consider spurious evidence (not that it matters to me whether he is or not). He wanted to send him to a military type reform school, and when I vetoed that, his behaviour towards Ben has escalated to a subtle kind of downright nastiness.

Needless to say, all of the above strained Bob's and my relationship to breaking point and then broke it. Seeing his ongoing behaviour towards a child who needs him I can no longer look at him with anything but disgust. The thought of him touching me makes my skin crawl and I desperately want him out of my house (we're not married and it's still in my sole name, thank God), but now I have the same problem Jason was worried about : If I end the relationship and kick Bob out, Ben will have to go to, since legally I have no tie to him whatever. He's fifteen now and although he has borne everything by stoically ignoring Bob, I can't in good conscious let that man be solely responsible for him (for what it's worth, I have always tried to stick up for him and get Bob to see that there are many types of boy in the world and all of them are equally okay). Not to mention, I don't think Jason would ever forgive me if I did. I would happily take guardianship of Ben if I could, even if Bob made no financial contribution at all we could manage if we cut back on luxuries. My concern is that I am far from sure Bob would agree. However he personally feels about Ben, Ben is still his flesh and blood and Bob feels strongly about that (to be honest I think it's part of the reason he resents Ben so much - Ben is 'the last of the line' and not turning out how Bob thinks his family should be represented). If I were to start a conversation along those lines and Bob refused to allow Ben to stay, it would be incredibly difficult to roll back. The idea of having to continue to play his supportive wife to stop him leaving of his own accord for another two and a half years (till Ben turns 18) sounds like a nightmare, but the alternative is worse. What is the best way to manage and get through this?

TL;DR: Partner has shown himself to be abusive and homophobic towards his nephew. I want to leave him, but if I do he will likely take his nephew with him. What do I do?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

quote:

I'm [31F] buying a house and my girlfriend [28F] thinks it's for both of us. How do I tell her it's not?

My girlfriend and I have been dating for about nine months. I love her so much and our relationship is by far the best one I've ever had. That being said, we have (in the past) had issues about space, with her wanting us to spend more time together and me needing to have at least a little time to myself throughout the week. We've compromised and worked through it and it's fine, but she's made a few comments here and there about being excited to get to wake up next to me every day at some point in the future and that sort of thing. I've never lived with a partner before and I haven't had a roommate in over ten years, so that conversation feels very far off for me although I'm not opposed to discussing it someday.

So anyway, I recently/unexpectedly came into some money for the first time ever and I've started shopping for my first home. Throughout the process I've obviously talked about it with my girlfriend, have sent her listings, etc., but never once did I say or imply that this house would be for both of us. Of course I value her opinion and I'm totally taking location/proximity to her into consideration, but I never envisioned us moving in together after less than a year of dating. However I found out today that she expects that, because she mentions how she hopes the home buying process goes quickly because she can't wait to no longer live with her roommates.

I'm trying to figure out the most gentle, diplomatic way of telling her that I don't plan for this move to change our relationship that much. Obviously she's always welcome at the house just like she is at my current apartment, but it will be my house and she'll be there visiting as my girlfriend, just like I am when I go to her apartment. Again, that's not to say that I NEVER want to move in with her, but I am absolutely not ready to do that right now. It's also striking me as a little entitled that she would assume I would buy a house with my own money and that it would somehow be for both of us -- but to be clear, that's never been a thing with her before. If anything she's usually the one who insists on paying for dinner, buying me gifts, etc. I think she'd be mortified to know I'm interpreting this as entitled so I really don't think that's intentional on her part. Mostly I'm concerned that this is going to flare up the issue we had early on where she felt like I didn't want to see her as much as she wanted to see me, and that it's going to cause a bigger problem besides me just not being ready to move in together yet.

**TLDR** I'm buying a house, my girlfriend thinks it's for both of us. How do I tell her it's not?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Say if he can poop, she deserves to peg him because it doesn't make sense how he can hold things in his butt (his poo) but not her fake weiner.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

It was just your wisdom teeth I can have blowjob

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Wow I have a brother whose a neet with aspergers and lol I ain't sacrificing my life for his what did these parents do to these children

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Without the shot doesn't he really only risk his own life? I mean he probably doesn't help with creating variants.. I would just make sure to update his life insurance

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

What is the gender of the anxious person? it does read as autistic, but there's so little deets on what they did. mental illness or assholery?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

That guy ate too many ribs and he's an rear end in a top hat for that alone. Also imma go against the grain and say the dad should have let three 13 year olds into the concert and wait outside. Like 13 is exactly the age you can start doing that. Me and my friends went to concerts alone at that age.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

I know it says no one thinks it's a good idea but who did he ask? His ex wife or the friends parents? His parents? I understand if they have never given them any responsibility and never have done stuff alone but I think that 13 is a good age to be able to go out by yourself. I'm a girl so I'm not underestimating rape chances. it's t swift there will be security, there will be other girls their age. Other parents. I just imagine they're extra careful about creepy dudes than in a slayer concert

And like if the ex wife said she had tickets why isn't it her fault, assuming they told them hey you're mom is responsible for your tickets you'll get it from her and then meet up with us or she'll be taking you?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Lol I asked my male coworkers if they were allowed out at 13 and they said absolutely not, ones mom still wants updates when he's like going to a house to pick up a pet chinchilla so I guess lll accept that that a free roaming tween is the exception and not a reasonable rule

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Wasn't there a story where a lady got cat hair stuck to her IUD? That's what I would worry about. idk I think underwear is necessary for hygiene issues. I'm also guessing she uses tampons or cups for her period but I wouldn't want to bleed on my couch

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Is the issue with Tori the fact that the op knew her before her transition? Like if they met after the transition would have it been non issue? it feels implied but I could be wrong

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

I really hope the false surrogate gives updates. I looked around for hot takes but everyone basically said "you hosed".

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

quote:

AITA for excluding my brother from the family vacation after he almost caused my daughter to get hurt?

Throwaway

Me (35 F) and my brother (30 M) are very close, and we always have been. He has been coming over almost every day for the past couple years, and he practically lives at my house (despite him having his own apartment). I don't mind it and neither does my husband because he helps out around the house and is great with my daughter Stella (10 F).

Every year we go on a family vacation with me, my husband, my daughter, and my brother. I don't bring our mom and dad because they already do their own vacations around this time, it's nothing personal. This year we were going to stay at a hotel by a beach, and I reserved suite rooms for all 4 of us.

The vacation is in 1 week at this moment. Yesterday, I had to run a few errands, and I needed my husband to help out with a few of them. I asked my brother to babysit Stella while we were gone, and he agreed. I told him thank you, and then was out the door. I was a little bit worried because he has never babysat Stella before, (I don't usually need my husband for errands, and he is unemployed so he's always home.) but I knew how great he was with her, and assumed everything would be fine.

After running the errands, I drove back home, and to my horror, I saw my daughter sitting in the road, playing with her dolls. I stopped, the car, ran out, grabbed my daughter, and brought her inside. As soon as I walked in I saw my brother watching some movie on the couch. I screamed something along the lines of, "What TF, you just left my daughter unsupervised in the road after I told you to babysit her! She could've gotten run over by a car, or someone could've kidnapped her! You're always so great with Stella and I gave you one effing job, to babysit her for a little over an hour while a ran errands. F you, get out of my house, and you are excluded from the family vacation."

He stared at me with wide eyes, and said something like "I didn't mean to, I just got so into the movie and I thought Stella would be okay." and "At least she didn't get ran-over/kidnapped." and afterwards he started begging for me to let him go on the vacation still. Saying he never gets to do ANYTHING nice, and it would be cruel to exclude him for one little mishap. He called me a major AH.

I asked some of my friends about it, and most of them said, although what he did was wrong, he said sorry and it was just a mistake, and I should stop being such an AH. None of them have kids though.

Anyways, AITA?

Extra info edit: Stella can be slow and sometimes acts way younger than she is. She has gotten into dangerous situations before. We haven't brought a doctor into this situation because we assumed she'd grow out of it. Anyways, I thought it'd be safer to have her be babysat due to us noticing this. I probably should've mentioned this.

Edit 2: For the person that asked, we homeschool her. And the other reason we never took Stella to the doctor is that the year we actually were thinking about it, my husband broke multiple bones after being in an accident and we had to pay a lot of
money for the cast, etc. We thought that we should just save our money because we thought it was something Stella was likely to get over. Also, I see a lot of people saying "Poor Stella.", and I get that what I did was wrong now, after seeing the majority of comments being YTA, but you can't judge my family after one post. Stella is completely content with us as her parents, loves us so much, and expresses that very often. We take good care of her otherwise then a couple slip-ups. We provide her a roof, food, clothes, love, hugs, kisses, and everything we possibly can. The other thing I would like to address is someone said my brother could be abusing her. I promise you this is completely out of the question because my daughter is a very vocal child and always says how much she loves my brother, playing with him, and etc. And my husband is always home when they hang out and sees how much fun they have.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAssh...tm_source=share

Added link in case any one likes to comment

She's never taken her child to the doctor and her kids is 10. She's more of an rear end in a top hat than the idiot who lets a kid run in the street

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Lol at having to ask your kid to stop expressing themselves but also I would prolly hate constant singing

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

SpaceViking posted:

This giant fluffball is Miss Birdie, my wife's cat who has completely abandoned her in favor of me. She also loves to chew shrink wrap and chase lights on the wall.

AITA for calling my baby's mother petty for not letting me be in the delivery room?

quote:

Edit to add: Since these have been questioned in the comments -I cheated on her. Yes some of it was before she was pregnant, she broke it off cause she caught me sexting when we were laying in bed one night and then found all the other stuff -We ended on the note we would try to be friends for the baby. We were going to try to go to counseling and see if we could fix things and work it out for the baby but then she caught me in a lie (not cheating again but related to lying trying to minimize her hurt due to what I'd done) and she cut me off completely other than giving me updates after each appointment and inviting me to a 3D ultrasound. It's been entirely her choice to not be friends. -Her best friend hasn't even been around for her pregnancy since she's been traveling for work. She's only coming back now to help with labor and recovery then leaving again. -Last, part of why I feel it's pettiness motivating her choices is cause she is using COVID as a reason to keep my family from meeting the baby. She told me she thinks only my parents should meet her until she gets a bit older, and wants them to wear masks. But she's still working as a nurse getting exposed to COVID DAILY so how is it really that much of a concern to her. I feel like it's about control over the baby.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

That's not a child

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Not to resurrect blender chat but they're both women and I don't think she's an rear end in a top hat for buying herself something expensive. BUT she should have given her wife 600 for herself as well. Also I don't think the 17 year old was necessarily a dick, just a naive fool. Police man's ball to the black kids mitt type thing.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

drat misread. Here's content for my misgivings.

AITA for Telling My Twin that She Should Have Worked on Herself Instead of Expecting Me to Let Myself Go for Her Wedding?

Not the A-hole

My twin sister (May) and I are identical.

At the end of our first year of college, I was in a car accident, and I ended up with a facial scar and major trauma. I started seeing a therapist because of the nightmares and the fact that I was panicking any time I got into a car.

That lead to me realizing there were some deeper issues, which we worked on. As part of that work, I got a physical, started working with a dietician to fix my diet and the smorgasbord of vitamin deficiencies it caused. I started working out (strength training 3 days and sprints or HIIT on 3) with our older sis.

By the end of our first year of college, we had each gained about 30 lbs. By the end of the next year, I had lost half of it, but I was smaller at 134 lbs. than my previous 120 because of the muscle mass. And that's been my size for the past half decade.

I found a new beautician, and she gave me long layers (to make my natural curls be curls instead of waves of frizz) I always wanted but that my old one said would look bad and refused. I stopped bleaching it and let it go its natural dark blonde/light brown. I stopped spray tanning. Again, that's been my look for the past five years.

I live in a rural area, and the internet isn't great. Things like facetime just aren't options, and I can't post a lot of pics on social media b/c of it. This is relevant because a big issue is that May didn't see me over the quarantine.

We talked on the phone a couple times a week, but it mostly revolved around her wedding planning (she got engaged before the Rona put us on lockdown). I wasn't her MoH, so mostly I was being told decisions, not involved in the process. When it came to the bridesmaids' dresses, May sent our sister, SIL, and me a link and told us to get it in our size.

Same with hair and makeup, but we had to arrange for a beautician because May's wouldn't do more than four, and she wanted her friends at the appointment with her.

Except she didn't do a bachelorette party with us (she did with her friends) or rehearsal dinner, so May didn't see any of us until the start of the wedding.

She was livid. Apparently, she thought we would have stopped working out because of the Rona (even though we did it at home?) or that we would have stopped when she announced her engagement, so we didn't upstage her. She was mad because I didn't try to hide my scar and didn't tan, thought it
"would be implied."

She made several snide remarks before throwing a drunk temper tantrum at the reception, basically accusing the 3 of us, but me esp. of trying to upstage her. I don't have that excuse b/c I was a DD so sober, but I (quite famously) have a low tolerance for angry or crying drunks. I told her "If you're so insecure, you should've got off your rear end instead of expecting us to lay on ours to make yours look better." It only got worse.

Our family is on my side b/c I didn't start it or do anything, but his family and her friends are giving me poo poo. So, AITA?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

AITA For Telling My Cousin That She's The Reason My Husband And I Have Re-Considered Adoption?

Throwaway Account

I (33f) have had fertility issues for the past couple of years with my husband (35m). We went through with consultations and while we had very promising results for treatment the cost did give us pause. It wasn't that we couldn't afford it we just weren't at the point yet where we were willing to pay. I discussed it with my husband and we were both fine with the idea of adopting.

My cousin Tiffany (25f) is adopted and she supported our choice in looking into it. However this was a couple of years back and during that time Tiffany was reunited with her birth parents and she's been acting pretty hurtful to my aunt and uncle since then. She keeps making post about how happy she is to know where she comes from and is happy about being reunited with her "real family." She even talked about having her birth father walk her down the aisle as a chance to make up for lost time. Obviously my uncle was very hurt about this but went he voiced it Tiffany got defensive. She called my uncle selfish, how this was about her and that he knew what he signed up for when raising someone else's kid.

Before the pandemic Tiffany moved closer to where her bio mother lived so they could make up for lost time, and Tiffany kept making post after post about all the fun she was having meeting relatives, and how she called/video chatted with each of her bio parents multiple times a week meanwhile she barely texted back my uncle and aunt once a month. I could tell how heartbroken my aunt and uncle were but tried to give Tiffany her space and the few times they said anything she accuse them of being selfish and unsupportive. I think the biggest thing that broke them was when Tiffany promised to come by for my aunt's birthday (COVID restrictions were lifted) and was even given the money to travel to them but then never showed up. She called literally the day before to say that her bio mom had an emergency so she wasn't going to make it, but didn't give back the money.

I am completely disgusted by Tiffany's behavior and while I haven't completely ruled out adoption entirely I did want to give medical assisted conception a try. My husband supported this and we are now currently expecting. After we made our announcement Tiffany messaged me asking why I would spend thousands on creating a child when I could helped one who already existed. I tried to play it off but Tiffany kept pressing and calling me a bad person when there are so many children who desperately need a home and overpopulation. It got to the point where she was pissing me off and I just came clean and said that her behavior towards the people who loved and raised her was the reason. Tiffany got really upset but I didn't care, however, her parents are now starting to say that I was wrong so AITA?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

If I had power in the US I would make it so no money can be transferred in families. Everyone starts broke and when you die the money goes back to nature

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

AITA for telling my sister she made choices?

Throwaway because family uses Reddit.

My (35m) sister "Lisa" (32f) had a rough start in life. I moved out at 16 due to unstable home environment an only recently moved back to my home city, so much of her story is secondhand to me via other siblings and family members. Married at 15, pregnant soon thereafter, lost the child, became homeless when the relationship broke down. Ended up becoming a prostitute (by choice). I'll say one thing, she managed to stay out of trouble with the law. She leventually trained for a job which she apparently wasn't good at, and spent more time in the wind before finally getting herself together and securing a career in a lower-level area of STEM.

Lisa was able to save enough money to put a small downpayment on a starter house. It will need a lot of renovation, but seems alright. Our other siblings and her friends threw her a housewarming party, which I attended. I congratulated my sister on her purchase and it was a pleasant evening.

Late in the evening, everyone was gathered on the patio; I'd had a few drinks so I was probably speaking too loosely. Our middle brother proposed that everyone says the thing they most admire about Lisa. The praise was thick enough to cut with a knife, and had been all evening, which was unsettling me. I am very proud of my sister, but everyone was making it out as if she'd won the Nobel prize for holding down a job and buying a house. When it came to my turn, I said the thing I most admire about Lisa is her perseverance in overcoming her bad choices. The whole room looked like I'd hit them with a brick, and I ended up having to justify the statement that Lisa had made any bad choices in life and my siblings ended up arguing with me vehemently.

Bear in mind I had roughly the same bad childhood as Lisa, and didn't end up taking any of the paths she took, and while I don't think the fact she made choices cancels out her successes in any way, I don't see the point of our entire family creating a fairy tale that no bad choices were ever made. I guess I could have "read the room" better and made a syrupy praise like my siblings, but that would have felt false and dishonest to me.

Reddit, AITA?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

AITA because I didn't let my daughter skip a grade?

My kids are Jonah (14M) and Emma (12F) and my husband is Johnny (40M), for clarity.

Emma has always been brighter than is typical for her age, she was reading at 4 and she's even gone to national competitions. We're really proud of her and all she's accomplishing. She's been in the gifted/talented program for a few years now, but now her school wants to take it further. They want her to go to eighth grade this year instead of seventh.

The thing is though, Jonah repeated a year (sixth) so he actually is in eighth grade. It was a hard year for him overall. He's a bit ashamed of that year and it really bothers him that he didn't put in more effort. I don't think it would be good for him if he and Emma share classes, which is very likely because it's a small school. So I declined the skipping grades arrangement and asked if we can just give Emma further enrichment like we've been doing, because she can definitely do eighth-grade work. I thought that would be best for both kids.

The trouble is that when I told Emma what we decided for her, she didn't take it well. She soon grew testy, saying Jonah's school placement "has nothing to do with her". I told her that I was thinking of both of them when I made that decision. Emma later went to her room in tears, but she wouldn't let me check on her all evening.

Johnny sided with me, saying it's right that I took both kids into account, but Emma is clearly still bothered and I really didn't want to upset her. I just wanted to be fair to everyone. AITA?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

AITA for letting my sick dad move in and vetoing my girlfriend's demand that I kick him out?

I'd (33M) like to start off by saying I understand that there's a lot to hate about my dad (62M).

For many years, I've hated and resented him for the choices he's made because when I was 13, he left my mom (62F). For years my mom and my siblings (now 35F, 37M) have struggled because his new, 16 years younger wife, actively barricaded my dad from being around us. They divorced when I was 18, and I was able to start mending my relationship with my dad.

But it wasn't until January 2020, after he suffered a stroke, that we really started connecting again. He said it really made him think about how fast life goes and that you really don't know how much time you have left. His stroke has left him with fatigue, poor attention span, and constant pain, numbness, and tingling.

He's gotten increasingly depressed. He told me his wife of ten years (31F) told him she's bored of living in their historical 1940s Co-op building. She has been spending most of her time, along with their daughter (7F), in the loft that they had rented out for her parents.

My dad said he feels so helpless because my stepmother more and more just sleeps over at her parents' loft and he's struggling to manage his symptoms alone. He said he's also been thinking a lot and said he's afraid he's realized too late that nobody loved him the way his three older kids and my mom did and wants to make amends before he's gone.

My stepmother recently called me and said she's too busy helping her brother run my dad's business and can't take care of him. She said that they've both had conflicts with all their previous home aides. She said if she has to deal with him any longer she's flying herself and their daughter to their condo in Miami to get some peace.

Then, five days ago, my dad had another health scare and went to the hospital. He told me that his wife didn't even show up and said he can't go on living like this and begged me to take him in. I didn't have the heart to refuse so I ended up driving him to my house and setting up a room for him. My girlfriend was getting inpatient treatment for her bipolar but she arrived home yesterday and when she saw my dad's things, she flipped out. She told me that she did not want to deal with my dad and that she wanted him gone and said she'd personally drive him back to his home and wife if need be.

I was annoyed at my girlfriend's knee jerk reaction and asked how she could be so cold. And that this was my father. My girlfriend said my dad is a scumbag and if my siblings could hang up on his " histrionics" so could I. I told her that I wasn't my mom- who laughed in my dad's face when he said he wanted to make amends. I wanted to sustain a relationship with my dad. So I told my girlfriend we were not turning my dad out because this house is in my name and that was that. AITA for being compassionate towards a sick relative and vetoing my girlfriend deciding she wanted to kick him out?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

META: Too many AITA commenters advocate too quickly for people to leave their partners at the first sign of conflict, and this kind of thinking deprives many people of emotional growth.

I’ve become frustrated with how quick a lot of AITA commenters are to encourage OP’s to leave their partners when a challenging experience is posted. While leaving a partner is a necessary action in some cases, just flippantly ending a relationship because conflicts arise is not only a dangerous thing to recommend to others, but it deprives people of the challenges necessary to grow and evolve as emotionally intelligent adults.

When we muster the courage to face our relationship problems, and not run away, we develop deeper capacities for Love, Empathy, Understanding, and Communication. These capacities are absolutely critical for us as a generation to grow into mature, capable, and sensitive adults.

Encouraging people to exit relationships at the first sign of trouble is dangerous and immature, and a byproduct of our “throw-away” consumer society. I often get a feeling that many commenters don’t have enough relationship experience to be giving such advise in the first place.

Please think twice before encouraging people to make drastic changes to their relationships; we should be encouraging greater communication and empathy as the first response to most conflicts.

~~

I really think severing is most often the right answer

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

AITA - Pitching a fit to get my nephew thrown out of school

I have been pretty lucky with my career and have been have been able to put some money away. I'm not in the 1% but I'm just barely in the 10%. This includes my wife contribution while I make more she does bring a healthy part of our income and wealth. We have a lifestyle to match this income. We live in a nicer neighborhood in our city, not the best but close. The schools in our neighborhood are highly ranked in the state. No shaming my BIL and SIL likely wouldn't be able to afford our lifestyle. If I guessed they likely are at about 50% of our income and wealth. They live in a different school district which isn't ranked very well, not the worst but not great.

So in early April a storm came through and knocked a tree over on BIL and SIL's house and made part of there house uninhabitable. They came to live with us, its an emergency so we wanted to help. The repairs were suppose to take 6-8 weeks. It has been pushed back due to pandemic and wholly hell wood prices. We are crossing our fingers it will be done in Oct. We have generally been okay with our long term guests but there has been some fraying over boundaries. The house is tight on space with how everyone is camped out.

Well my nephew (9) still had school last year and just stayed in his old district between the 4 adults we carpooled him there. So I found out that my BIL and SIL decided to register my nephew in our school district. I'm to say the least very livid. There reasoning is this is now where they live and this school is better for nephew. My wife is spineless in dealing with her 1/2 of the family and they can walk over her so she agrees with her sister. I think they are trying to worm themselves into our house for the long term. The house even cramped is likely better than there house. I fear in Oct when there house is ready they will say but nephew is in school so we can't leave. While I'm willing to help family I'm to old to have roommates that don't pay rent. So I went up to the school and talked to them about them fraudulently using my address and ended up getting him kicked from the school. Well my house has been ice cold to me since this happened was I wrong for getting my nephew kicked from our school. I just want my house back.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Am I the rear end in a top hat for playing the lottery?

I am in Georgia visiting my children by my ex wife.

I went and brought a scratch off while my kids were in school.

I won $50 and decided to play again.

Next I won $500.00!

I got the cash and celebrated a little!

I told my ex and she was shocked and congratulated me also.

I put the money in my bank account.

Since I am on vacation, I decided to keep playing the lotto.

As time passed the "law of dimishing return" went into full effect.

I found my ex rummaging through the trash and she asked me, "did you spend that $500 on MORE tickets?". I replied "No. It's in my account".

Crazy thing is I have this thing called a job and I actually saved money for my vacation to blow.

The next day I brought our oldest son some exotic Lego playsets.

Once again, she inquired about my spending of the $500.

"You should save that $500 for Christmas. You should not waste money on stuff especially with the holiday season coming up"; said my ex.

I responded with, "You know what? Here. You see this email? It is a flight confirmation. I spent MY note I said MY money on a plane ticket to come see the boys for Thanksgiving. You see how I am transparent with you? Oh and you noticed how the flight is MORE than $1,000??? Yep, I put in some of my vacation money for my next trip already".

She stood there looking confused and walker away.

Now I know you should never explain yourself unless you absolutely have to.

But this one, this one bothered me.

I am an adult and I can spend MY money however I want to.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for checking a nosy ex wife on my money spending habits?

TLDR: won $500 on the lotto, ex wife was pocket watching so i snapped on her. AITA?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

AITA for an inflating horse?

I like animals, they are great. However, I find horses a bit useless (don't down vote me yet) and sinister. You pick up their muck, feed them and they drop muck on the floor again, every day is the same. It's a bit like that Tom Cruise film, but less exciting (and to be fair, less crappy).

Anyway, my brother, his wife and my nieces wanted to go on holiday and asked me to look after their three dogs, two hamsters, four cats, fish (don't know how may they don't stay still), two sheep and two horses. I said I could do all of this, but suggested one of his wife's friends may like to look after the horses. No, "you'll be fine", its only two weeks, what can go wrong?

Literally, as I waved goodbye to them, I noticed one of the horses was looking a bit strange...it was concentrating...asserting its will for some evil purpose, like an evil Jedi summoning the dark side.

The next day it started to swell. I had followed the usual feeding regime, so it couldn't be that. The following few days it became taut when prodded (and it didn't like being prodded). The day after it was like a puffer fish and was properly grumpy. I called the vet who said it had severe colic, requiring medication and a tube inserted where tubes shouldn't normally go, to deflate it, which cost me over £150 in vet bills.

I was genuinely worried the horse might die (the hamsters from a previous holiday weren't really my fault, but the thought of my nieces crying makes me unhappy).

Anyway, I couldn't wait for my brother and his family to get back and hand over the responsibility of their horse, which deliberately made a show of how happy it was, trotting around the field like nothing had happened. It repaired their faith in my ability to babysit their animals (after the hamster incident, oh and the missing cat) but I refused, I now insist they pay for horsey-friends to babysit.

Horses are sinister, they can swell up on demand to cause emotional trauma. AITA for not babysitting animals anymore? I don't think so, but you decide.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

I'll have you know that food has gone up 30%.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Honestly food prep does take forever. Also he obvs condescending but I wonder if her food isn't as good bad premade. We all know disasters In the kitchen

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean to be fair, the kid sounds like a prat who needs discipline.

AITA for walking out of class when my professor used inappropriate language?

I had a college professor go on about how "fags were ruining Boy Scouts" and other hateful things. When students complained to the dept head, they were told he had a right to his opinion (this was a loving chemistry class, btw) and there was nothing to be done.

LMAO from the same poster:

Should i apologize to my parents?

I need to beat this person up

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Invisible Clergy posted:

You know who everyone hates for the right reasons? cryptobros

AITA for telling. my friend to remove his crypto miner from our house in place of our own

I would shame him for ruining the earth even more and shame the op too. I wish the us would ban crypto for climate change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

drat I would give gay head for 700