Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Wurzag posted:

Woah cat Betty
Bit a man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

cumshitter posted:

Exactly. I work in finance where there's a genuine competitive need to offer lower fees for managing funds. This guy is just doing it for no reason.

This guy is an idiot for undercutting the competition for purely altruistic reasons for a client base that absolutely can afford to pay the extra $75. And that's assuming he's being honest. While there are problems with the money spigot being concentrated in the tourism industry and how effectively those funds are distributed through the rest of their society, on the whole it's a better thing to bring more money into your country from richer countries.

Edit: Especially for an industry like tourism, which would be more likely to lobby for the preservation of natural lands and historical sites. It's also seasonal so you have a good reason to earn as much as possible while economic conditions are good in the countries your customers are traveling from.

I wouldn't say it was for altruistic reasons as he's gone from. Zero to dominating the toursim industry in pretty short order.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Serephina posted:

'Dominating' an industry by destroying 3/4s of the market doesn't sound all that great. It'd be pretty different if for every competitor's employee that got cut back, he hired a new person, but by his own math that's not what's going on. This isn't (eg) tech manufactoring where the race to the bottom makes a better product, this is Tourism where the entire point is to cultivate a sustainable industry for locals (BY NOT PRICE COMPETING WITH THE LOCAL MIN-WAGE FACTORY JOBS).

Basically he's doing the typical human thing of being greedy, short-sighted and blinded by self-interest.

Exactly, he's not doing to altruisticaly as was suggested, he's doing it to make money. Which he is doing.

Also lol at thinking race to the bottom makes things better in tech.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

When my hippy aunt and uncle got married in the early 80's they each took the other's last name using hyphens, and so the kids grew up with a hyphenated last name. My cousin got married a few years back to a guy with a regular but four-syllable last name, and they did the exact same thing resulting in a new two-hyphen, eight-syllable last name. It was literally about 25 characters long.

The Christmas cards we've gotten from them recently use a shorter portmanteau of the three names that's much easier to handle, not sure if it's an official name change or a simplification they use for correspondence.

Everyone should just Portmanteau their names together, great idea.

Jennifer Lawrence and Cooke Maroney = Mr & Mrs Loney | Marence

Sophie Tuner and Joe Jonas = Mr & Mrs Turnas | Joner

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not letting our gay daughter reuse our wedding memorabilia despite we promised it at a young age?

When my parents got married, they had ornate cake decorum they had custom made depicting my mother and father with some fidelity. You know the whole bride and groom statuettes? It's the spitting image of my parents. They passed it onto me for my wedding and while the tradition hasn't been going on long, it's been used for first daughters and that's how we want to memorialize things.

I have two daughters, 27F and 25F. The eldest is getting married to a lovely woman in October and from a very young age, my daughter has known that cake decoration is hers to use for her wedding. The problem is they take issue with it depicting a man and a woman and want to alter it, albeit temporarily, to depict two women. They want to get custom "doll clothes" made to dress the man, my father, in a dress and hat.

I decided they would not be able to use the decoration and instead it will go to our younger daughter. I don't care if my eldest used it verbatim but they want to alter it and I feel that defeats the spirit of the item itself and in a way is disrespectful. Trying to compromise (i.e., use it the way I intend or don't use it at all) has gone nowhere.

She's starting to raise a tiny Hell about it and I want to confer to this sub to whether I'm the AH or not here.

I tired to compromise by saying 'My way or the highway' Why is she being so unreasonable?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

teen witch posted:

How to aggressively inform everyone that you are indeed, NOT LIKE THE OTHER GIRLS.

At least she's committed to the gimmick by.....erm...getting committed?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA(23M) for asking my roommate(22F) to be dressed in the common areas?

quote:

Lovecraftian horror is based on DnD lore

Gonna go with YTA.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

That harlot was blatantly displaying her ankles and disagreeing with a man! Where is the boyfriend in all this, and why is he not striking her with his walking cane?

I was genuniely puzzled by the shorts thing, I was assuming it was short shorts, but it's basketball shorts...which are huge?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

pentyne posted:

No he had to point out that with her big tits she needs to wear a bra, what part of that seems unreasonable?

Would love to hear his update after he tells his gf this.

He does go to lengths to point out his GF wears a bra in the house but also has much smaller tits than his roommates.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Kitchner posted:

I mean unless the artist specifically said they retain all rights to the picture they design, is it legally theirs still even if it was specifically commissioned by a person?

I'm trying to parse this sentence. The rights to the image belong to the artist, even if someone buys an instance of it. That's what you're saying right? Because that's correct.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

hey man like they didn't LITERALLY kill everyone LITERALLY

you imbecile, you bafoon

You want to check our the Valladolid debate my friend. Montezumas daughters became land and slave owning Spanish subjects.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

This is precisely how I would expect a waiter in an expensive fancy upscale French restaurant to respond, yes.

Not quite, it would be entirely in French.

I've had this a few times in a couple of places and asking for another normal menu is usually fine.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Barudak posted:

Huh, shows how poor americans must be then because I knew this was a thing and what it meant because I did crew but it was always referred to as a regatta.

And before you ask, while yes, some of the people on my crew team went onto princenton and yale to take over their parents businesses, I was in the token boat of kids who couldn't afford uniforms and were photographed to show the various sundry types of poors could play the sport.

It's the difference between a boat race the 'The' boat race, whilst a regatta is a whole boating event with multiple things happening. The Boat Race is just the boat race, nothing else.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

YTA, though more naive than rear end in a top hat, if you'd already been doxxed the harasser would be able to find out the sister wasn't dead with little trouble, and all the actual friends on that server would never trust her again and probably turn against her, with good reason. Faking your death online, even with good reason, almost never sticks even with a fully fake persona, if you've already been successfully doxxed how did you think this could possibly work

Also death threats are never ok but what was this girl posting that made her so many enemies? Is she posting pro be-nice-to-people stuff and getting harassed by incels and chuds, or is she being an rear end too? The fact 4 chan is involved raises an eyebrow.

Hmmm good point, maybe the doxxing and death threat ARE her fault.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

Good points, all.

So when british people say "east asians," that's what, chinese, japanese, laos, thais, vietnamese, filipinos? Are indians categorized as east asians, or are they "west asians?" Is there a particular dividing line? I've never heard anyone say "west asians"

In the UK by in large Asian means India, Pakistan, Bangladesh etc. East Asian is China, Japan etc. The dividing line being east of Bangladesh , around there (not counting China obviously). Never heard someone say West Asian though. It all gets a bit confused because of the pervasiveness of American culture where Asian means East Asian to us sometimes.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

The "friends" who don't think this is cheating are totally cheating as well. Or rather, technically not cheating according to their bizarre definition of the term.

BTW: "non-sexual spanking"? So he was spanking her for actual disciplinary purposes? Worst. Excuse. Ever.

Maybe they're pro-booty slappers practising for the next big competition.

https://www.rt.com/sport/461538-booty-slapping-championships-russia/

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Porfiriato posted:

Also the "dinner party" apparently consisted of 4 people total, including pizzaman and OP. Which means that

1. Who exactly among 4 people was causing the "huge scene" that "ruined the rest of the evening" for OP, it's not like he walked into the middle of a state banquet yelling "PIZZA'S HERE!!!". I'm getting unreliable narrator vibes from OP.

2. He ordered 2 pizzas among 4 people, which means that either he's a gigantic trash goblin who was planning to eat 2 pizzas by himself, or he ordered more than enough to share with everyone else.

I think it depends on the timing - if he stepped out the moment dinner was over to hit up Domino's then he's a bit of an rear end in a top hat, if he as an hour into watching a nearly three-hour musical (:suicide:), realized he was still a bit hungry, and decided to order some more food, then NTA.

How about you just eat 1 dinner and don't order a second dinner like some sort of loving degenerate. Even if he did order it to include other people it's not like he asked them what they wanted or anything.

If you can't wait 3 hours after dinner to smash more food into your dumb face then you have no place in polite company. When you're a 'bit hungry' you don't eat 2 loving pizzas to make up for it.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 20, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

therobit posted:

She's gonna have one hell of an alimony payment I bet. Probably worth it though.

Not that many people get alimony now days and not forever. He's unilaterally decided he wants to take the job and gently caress her career up which is a really lovely thing to do. She's told him the consequences of his actions and he's still ploughing right ahead, irrelevant of this specific incident that is not someone you can build a life with.

My guess is she works for Monsanto.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

my guess is it's San Fransisco and her job is "finding new ways to spy on people and sell their data" and his new job is "protecting people from being spied on and having their data sold"

She works for Fort Knox, he's a Bank Robber.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean this isn’t wants to doesn’t want to, this is specifically using sex as a punishment to correct bad behavior.

Which is not a consent issue

Its not a punishment because sex is the issue at hand. It's not withholding sex because you don't take the trash out. It's not having sex because you do not enjoy it, which is obviously absolutely fine.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

carry on then posted:

americans are, as usual, extraordinarily stupid

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I mean fair do's on the big american ham handed probe, but the eggs thing is extremely stupid.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

teen witch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7D5oONDkIQ

We will address the eggs matter after we cease murdering black people. Right up on our list there

What I'm hearing is you guys are never going to address the egg thing.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hughlander posted:

What's the opposite of no true scottsman? One person holds this belief therefore every person who identifies as the group has those same beliefs? "I found a feminist that paints with period blood, therefore feminists paint with period blood!"

It's just a plain old strawman really.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Biplane posted:

Man that post about the practice pets totally ruined my day by bringing up memories of my mom killing my pet rat when I was like 7 or 8, in order to not make my sister feel bad for killing her hamster through neglect.

I will never forget you Princess Leia the rat :smith:

Sorry to quote this again, but i've been reading it and reading it and trying to work out how this was supposed to work? Like what was the thought process, teach her all life is fleeting? Stop crying about your hamster or I'll kill you?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Biplane posted:

Break up with your sociopath boyfriend.

I don't think you have to be a sociopath to hire a cleaner really?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Malleum posted:

It's real hosed up how modern these organizations are; none of them existed before the 60s but even that little time is apparently enough for people to be born into it and evolve into Quiverfull 2

The Church of Scotland really loves itself a schism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Scotland#/media/File%3AReformed_Scots_Church_Denominations.svg

They mostly merged again when they became too tiny.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 5, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

"Help, my tumor has removed itself and is running away!"

OP, you dodged a bullet. See if he'll help you get a divorce, and ask around to find out if the lawyer he recommended to his fiancee is any good. Why would she want to keep him around.

It's kinda mutual bullet dodging here though. She doesn't want kids and he does so the marriage is already over. How you go about wrapping it up is just academic from there. Works out better for him if he gets to just drop into a ready made family, but she does have to know her marriage is already over.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Easy there buddy, Patroclus went out in a stupid blaze of glory.

I won't have him slandered

It was Achilles who was moping around the camp because someone stole his prize-wife.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

My classic myth prof in undergrad made a strong argument that Achilles was suffering massive PTSD.

I don't think you get PTSD from someone taking your literal trophy wife off you.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

"Why won't my sister perform thousands of dollars of unpaid labor for me? WAAAAHHHH!"

People keep saying free, but they're paying $2000 for it, which is the opposite of free. The OP also doesn't say they have to babysit 6 kids for the holiday, just occasionally look after them when other adults go on rides. If the sister did the bare minimum and stopped the kids eating too much sand for half an hour whilst someone went on a ride then it sounds like that would be enough here.

The OP is also happy for her sister not to do any of this and just not pay for her to go on holiday with them. The little sister has had 3 holidays out of it and should just call it good from there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

Citations Needed did a great episode about how this scrimping and saving poo poo is bullshit. Her sister sucks in a big way. It's nice that the doctor himself seems like a decent man, though. Wonder what he saw in the sister, considering.

So for a while we were (and still are) considering building our own house so we were looking into the costs etc and the mortgage break points etc and it just wasn't making sense financially because you just couldn't get a mortgage for many parts of the process. So we looked into other people who did it and told stories and even wrote books about how they built a house so cheaply. Every single one of them, and I do mean every single one, the land the house was built on was gifted to them by a family member. So of course it's easy to build a cheap house if you're not paying for the land. (This is in the UK where land is relatively expensive just now)

The scrimpers are usually the same, they start out with lots of money and just continue to have lots of money.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

cumshitter posted:

Yeah they seem kind of tedious but as a Catholic the only way I pray is by tracing the liturgy, in Latin because gently caress Vatican 2, with my tongue on a cute boy's sphincter. Translating the scripture to English for review by the layman was a huge mistake IMO.

Cardinal Pell? Is that you?

I mean this is exactly what the Catholic church have been getting into trouble for, for years now.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Napoleon also had bodyguards around him who were huge, making him look short in comparison. He also had a famous memory for people and apparently would never forget a face.

It's also probably in comparison to Thomas-Alexandre Dumas who was 6ft tall, basically an all round massive guy for the age.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

AITA for keeping the status of my son's computer contingent on the way he interacts with his little brother?

Little brucey bonus from the comments

OP posted:

I used to discipline my sons physically and he used to discipline his brother like that too but I don't anymore and with him it's gone way down in recent times.

He does come and get me.

She beats her kids and taught her autistic son that's how you discipline people so that's what he does!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

pentyne posted:

"Standard custody arrangement" is he sees his kid every other weekend?

That's almost always the "I got screwed by the judge" and the Dad will whine about how unfair the courts are to single fathers and then it's revealed he didn't fight for anything at all and didn't even try for 50% custody or anything.

It's a bit of a hail mary to try and spin this one as the OPs fault.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Dazerbeams posted:

Either this guy’s paranoia is through the roof and he blew everything out of proportion or he’s the most gullible rube alive.

Has to be paranoia because surely if his girlfriend was sleeping with another guy she would have either not answered the call or hung up whilst going at it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like this is common wisdom but the reason isn’t employer theft so much as “how to let your server lie about tips on their taxes”. Or as you said to circumvent tipped wage laws. The employer stealing something with a literal paper trail that any of the wait staff could p easily document is not really a flawless wage theft strat.

How little faith you have in humanity ability to be shittty? In the UK at least loads of restaurants where taking 8%-15% of all card tips as an 'administration fee' for processing it. It became a huge story and most places have stopped doing it, but that's just until the hooha dies down, then it'll creep back in.

That's not even getting into the places where your allowed to pay someone less than minimum wage and make it up with tips.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Even if you were dumb enough to take him at face value that he legitimately thought it was for someone else, who the gently caress opens someone else's gift and starts setting it up and using it for themselves weeks in advance? :psyduck:

Why would she hide a gift from someone who doesn't live in the house. Something is not adding up about his story here.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

runchild posted:

For your second post you’ll need to explain how “just let him get away with being an impulsive manbaby” is the pro move.

Because even though he's opened it and is playing with it right now this guy will assume he's getting something else to open on Christmas day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

Oh, I can't loving read and he got with her a year after he dumped the first girl. Yeah never mind.

E: snipe

AITA for not letting someone join our Russian club because he wasn't Russian?

Echoes of the New Mexico club.

This one is interesting because it's one of the cultural things. It's very common for Russians to consider people are Russian because they speak Russian, not because they are from Russia. That's why they considered the people in Ukraine to be Russian because their first language is Russian, whilst the Ukrainians who speak Ukrainian are not Russian.